lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: DCMoD
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM   #41
babywax

Quote:
Good for you and your quest for a high post count, but read the posts please . As I said Janos, the creator of the DCMoD is working on cutting back Admin related powers and adding more gamplay related items.
The remark about the post count was sarcastic.
BTW, no, you did not say he was cutting back, you said he was considering cutting back:
Quote:
at least in a public release and Janos is considering this kind of stuff

Quote:
And by modding in the extra customisations for Jedi into Siege I take it you are referring to the fact you can't edit force or your Lightsaber in Siege gametypes.
Not quite, sabers can stay the same, although it would be nice to have limited color selection on light side (blue/green, maybe some others, but no red of course to stop people from getting confused). I was mostly referring to torso/head/legs selection, and hilts too, not really the actual type(dual, staff or single) of saber.
babywax is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #42
CptDogMeaT
Lurker

I thought about that myself a while ago, including models and saber color. Then I was playing some siege and I realised why they make the skins and saber standards.

In the middle of a match it can be VERY useful to know who and what kind of classes are in your team. Very often if I am low on ammo, or health or need support or whatever I will first look around at my fellow players and see if i can see a Tech or a medic around.

If i see one I will use Voice chat and call for assistance, if not I might call anyway but I'll probably push on and die anyway.

It could be done I suppose, for the other classes aside for tech. But then again, its all about balance and I personally think being able to quickly identify team member classes outweighs being able to personalise your skin in siege.

Also, theres the fact the Siege menu doesnt let you select Saber and Skin but I thought I'd leave that little technical gem to last.

And I'm sorry if my post replying to yours was a little caustic but whats the point in making a post that is just a sum up of all the other posts that just bashes something that is being addressed already. The guy Janos has spent over 7 months working hard on this, making it from scratch. Fair enough if you dont like it but bashing it resently is just plain unfair.

But anyway, if you do have sensible suggestions, bearning in mind this mod will be serverside then please, feel free to submit them
CptDogMeaT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 12:24 PM   #43
babywax

I wasn't bashing, I even complimented him on many of his ideas. I just stated that I didn't think it would be a good idea to add in all of the emotes etc... I must not have phrased it correctly.
babywax is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #44
zERoCooL2479

Quote:
Oh, whats that Chosen, didnt hear that up your mountain, well fair enough, but remember why Janos made this mod. It was because JAMOD didn't have enough and was too restrictive. You also have to remember that JAMOD was designed for The Jedi Academy and your servers, a lot of other clans, ours included found your mod too restrictive. However back then MarS (thats right, Marcel, not YOU) had some great ideas that have became common place in the JO world. Janos used a lot of these ideas and tons of his own throughout. And you may not know but a lot of this stuff was developed simultaneously with JAMOD. I remember fondly talking to Janos about DCMOD improvments to have Janos come back a week later saying "I've done this, and this and this" for me to go, "btw, have you looked at the latest release of JAMOD on jk2files?" Janos would reply "No..." "well Chosen has added a all that stuff you just said, like Ban List in a file, like access to the Rcon from \am and like ...".
JA Mod 1.3 was out way before DCMod. If I remember correctly, the DC clan wanted me to make a altered version of JA Mod for them, I denied the proposal because I was hellova busy. The only reason why JAMod is what it is, is because of MarS, everyone knows that. I used the source of Vulcanus with his permission because he didnt want to continue it. I understand that he has helped DC the same way, which is great. But the fact that you fail to realize the impact that slap and those commands will/have caused is shameless. The reason I say "stop copying ja mod" is, well, the terminator command. I mean, you could have at least named it different. Jeez...lol This is not a flame nor is it a taunt, just remember that we're all in this together and we want to give the community good things, not traumatizing experiences of being slapped across the screen or lamed by an overpowered saberist.

Take Care,
-Mike

~cHoSeN oNe
Mod Developer
The Jedi Academy
zERoCooL2479 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 01:21 PM   #45
CptDogMeaT
Lurker

Quote:
But the fact that you fail to realize the impact that slap and those commands will/have caused is shameless.
We did, but like every tool like this, it can and does get abused. Its just at what point is the level of abuse unacceptable that it outweighs the good of the mod.

You released a mod with similar features, I would have thought you may have been a little constructive considering you followed the same path.

And the very first incarnation of DCMOD thats the very first, came out about February, and if my memory serves me right that was about the same time as 1.2 of JA. Bear in mind that DCMOD was made from scratch, pretty much completely. janos did contact MarS at a late stage to get help with MOTD and Empower glow, but it was help rather than given the full Vulcanis source.

I agree about the terminator thing, fair point, i did find it strange myself at the time.

And I think everyone in this thread has acknowledged the direction that mods have to go. Bashing someone for something you where guilty of months ago is weak. I aint flaming but have some compasion and a little empathy. The points raised here HAVE been taken onboard, and changes have been made already.

In fact, we have and are adding new things to Jedi Academy that are increase the gameplay abilities including a number of completely new and original features.

Anyway, this aint a flame, I just want you to remember that the path behind us is just as important as the path before us.

And back to the topic at hand, SUITABLE comments on what people want in a mod for Jedi Academy.

And I swear, if one more person skips all of these posts and makes a dumbass post like:-

Quote:
Waa, Waaa, i dont wanna be slapped because Im telling the admin to suck my penis, waaa, waaa
im gonna come slap you.

Fair enough, but we have talked about and adressed stuff like this. Please, let us move forward.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #46
zERoCooL2479

Have you ever heard the saying..."cHoSeN-oNe single handedly destroyed the jk2 community." well I did, and its not a good feeling. I've look at everything I've done for ja mod and it was all good fun. Things did get out of hand when I played on many public servers. Admin's executing commands for no reason. Empowerment was an easy thing to implement.

ent->client->ps.isJediMaster = qtrue;

If I remember correctly to get the glow thing ;-)

So yeah, I'm all about moving forward which is why we should'nt repeat the past. New gamemodes is great, and I have one I'm making myself. So good luck with that and if you need help or anything, just give me a holla.

Your neighborhood coding friend,
-Mike

~cHoSeN oNe
Mod Developer
The Jedi Academy
zERoCooL2479 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #47
Marker0077

I apologize if this has been answered before but I fail to see how commands like slap, terminator, explode, etc; etc. are useful in ANY way shape or form. They contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING constructive or useful, the ONLY thing they do is breed admin abuse & will destroy the community, not in whole of course, but definitely in part. That WAS the case with JK2, why people think it will be different in JK3 is beyond me.

Can someone please explain to me how any of these commands would be useful for anything other than admin abuse?

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies
Cool Mods for Medal of Honor
Cool Mods for the Jedi Knight Series
Don't want to wait for Star Wars 3? Well here ya go!

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)
Obi-wannabe (practice name)
Bar Upstairs from AA Building (drinking name)

Contact Info
AOL, Yahoo, Jabber, & IRC (QuakeNet): Marker0077
Cool Mods E-Mail: MoH @ Cool-Mods.com or JK @ Cool-Mods.com
E-Mail & MSN IM: Marker0077 @ Hotmail.com (*** anywhere in subject or won't get email)
Marker0077 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #48
P.I.M.P
Rookie

I had a thought. Since players have clans and work together, maybe the varous admins can create a clan of "Admins". In this clan, we will agreed if we use admin mods to help admin our servers, that we won't abuse them. Players can know that admins that are a part of this "Organization" vow not to abuse their power and can play without the abuse. I know this sounds really dorky, but I would take part to help control my server and to let everyone know that I'm not gonna abuse an admin mod when/if one is ever installed. Just a thought.

Blood Bath Server.
No Rules, FFA, All Kills Legal
P.I.M.P is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 11:24 PM   #49
Marker0077

Quote:
Originally posted by P.I.M.P
I had a thought. Since players have clans and work together, maybe the varous admins can create a clan of "Admins". In this clan, we will agreed if we use admin mods to help admin our servers, that we won't abuse them. Players can know that admins that are a part of this "Organization" vow not to abuse their power and can play without the abuse. I know this sounds really dorky, but I would take part to help control my server and to let everyone know that I'm not gonna abuse an admin mod when/if one is ever installed. Just a thought.
#1 Sounds great & all but the reality of the matter is it would leak & would go public. I think everyone realistically knows this.

#2 You didn't answer the question. What possible use could any of these abusive commands have aside from breeding admin abuse?

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)

Contact Info
E-Mail & MSN IM: Marker0077 @ Hotmail.com (*** anywhere in subject or won't get email)
Old 12-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #50
CptDogMeaT
Lurker

Quote:
#2 You didn't answer the question. What possible use could any of these abusive commands have aside from breeding admin abuse?
Dude, read all these posts if you havent. Read every damn one.

THEN, if you have done that I shall explain what they are for.

On occasion you get Lamers that are:- Abusive, Offensive, Racist, Deliberately try to upset people, flame or generally try to be *******s.

These people are only playing a game to piss people off or upset them.

These kind of people need an ass kicking. If someone comes on and genuinely doesn't understand whats going on or is unaware of my rules then I will do my best to help them and help them to understand because, at least from what I've seen, the rules we enforce on our server are pretty standard to the rest of the JK servers.

However, the Ass's that try to upset people or blatantly break rules need all these fancy commands applied to them. Do you honestly think that if one of these lamers who goes around trying to upset people will really enjoy being slept and left in a corner where they cant do anything. I regularly enjoy sleeping racists, silencing them and inserting them into a wall. With DCMOD they cant talk, rename, join the spectators or do anything. I ban them so the only thing the lamer can do is disconnect.

THEN they might reconsider being *******s on other servers, but I agree that is what they are intended for but I doubt the majority of 15 year old piss-ants who get upset because they get bullied at school aren't going to use these tools as intended.

But Annnyyywaaayyy.

Read all these posts and see the general consensis is that game mods for JA SHOULD have some admin abilities, only less exotic or "abusable commands" and focus more on gameplay modifications.

And I think an Admin guild would be very, very cool. It would be a fair bit of work, but I think it could be successful, perhaps a think is in order...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:03 AM   #51
Marker0077

Quote:
Originally posted by CptDogMeaT
Dude, read all these posts if you havent. Read every damn one.
I don't understand why I should have spend an hour reading through a bunch of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about just to get to the 1 thing that I am talking about.
Quote:
On occasion you get Lamers that are:- Abusive, Offensive, Racist, Deliberately try to upset people, flame or generally try to be *******s.
Okay, so you...

#1 Warn them: Some of the coders are developing a command like the say command that puts large text in the center of this players screen so they don't miss what the admin is warning them about.

If they continue to violate your rules or whatever the case may be you...

#2 Boot them: Once they get booted, they have the opportunity to join up once again but at least get the picture that you're not messing around with them.

Maybe even having a "we strictly enforce the Warn, Boot, Ban rule here" message in the MotD so they get the picture even better.

If they continue to violate your rules or whatever the case may be you...

#3 Ban them: There are 2 types of connections, static & dynamic. If they have a static IP they are stuck with 1 IP only & if it's a dynamic IP, there are only 256 different IPs that person can use. Chosen One has a command that bans out a certain IP range specifically for dynamic IP users.

Following the Warn, Boot, Ban rule will ALWAYS solve your problem without abusing admin functions - ALWAYS.

Anything other than this is admin abuse & makes the admin certainly no better than the "lamer" client user the admin is using the abusive commands against. Furthermore, you've haven't said anything to prove to me (or anyone else for that matter, imparticularly the other coders of the community) that these commands provide anything useful to the community. It just simply destroys it.
Quote:
Do you honestly think that if one of these lamers who goes around trying to upset people will really enjoy being slept and left in a corner where they cant do anything.
Doesn't matter, it's admin abuse. Using these commands against these users make you no better then the "lamer" user you are using them against.

The point here is these commands are TOTALLY unneccesarry. For the most part, they are used to get juvenile jollies like a bully on a playground. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why the WBB (Warn, Boot, Ban) rule would not work on anyone violating server rules. No reason at all.
Quote:
I regularly enjoy sleeping racists, silencing them and inserting them into a wall.
This is what I'm talking about. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Using those commands just are not necessary & breed admin abuse.
Quote:
THEN they might reconsider being *******s on other servers
WRONG - they just might reconsider playing JK altogether, thus the "destroying our community" part comes into play.

With the WBB rule, you don't get that ANYWHERE nearly as much. Those commands destroy our community.
Quote:
And I think an Admin guild would be very, very cool. It would be a fair bit of work, but I think it could be successful, perhaps a think is in order...
The only way to realistically make that work is if you give each copy that was distributed its own number & secondary rcon password that is unchangeable (each one being a different password of course). The purpose of the number is if a copy of the mod is released against the guilds wishes, you know where it got released from (or who actually). The purpose of the secondary rcon password that is unchangeable is you can publically post that password for those copies that have been distributed against the guilds will & whomever is running it will more than likely ditch the mod when the guild members constantly shut that persons server down.

All in all, it's all too much work for something that's not even necessarry in the first place. Bottom line here is, these commands destroy the community & provide absolutely nothing legitimately useful in return for it. I fail to see the point.

Lastly, I am once again going to bring in the other various coders in the community to put in their 2 cents on the matter. Mars (Vulcanus coder) said he was going to post but he's a busy guy & I guess he got sidetracked so I'll remind him again. Thanks to Chosen One & Razorace for posting.

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)

Contact Info
Old 10-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #52
Jufa
Rookie

i truly agree with this abusing thingie. WBB is more than enough.

i'm making mod and i don't even plan to add anykind of admin thingies to the mod. rcon is enough.
Jufa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #53
Botch
Rookie

Silly, Jufa! Replying to a two years old topic.
Botch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #54
Jufa
Rookie

wtf :O

omg omg
sry, i searched for solution to my problem and found this topic. then i forgot to look when this was made and i replied xD

ok, i'll try to be more careful in future
Jufa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #55
shukrallah
White Dragon

Yeah, why not lock this thread. Man, I feel older ... cause I posted here two years ago! I can't even remember this thread, although I do remember this mod.

This thread was posted back when we had a community. The proof is right here guys- They released this mod, and you know what? Two years go by, and the players are gone.
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #56
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Well, I think what happened was that things were ok until one abusive admin mod (JA+) got past the peer pressure.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #57
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
Well, I think what happened was that things were ok until one abusive admin mod (JA+) got past the peer pressure.
Yeah, I think the DCMoD was sorta limited to a couple of servers, hence, the reason we don't hear of it anymore. However, JA+ somehow got on like... 300+ servers...
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Coding > DCMoD