lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-30-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
"LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Some of you knew it would be coming, and some of you will be hit entirely by surprise... but I finally got my new site up and running:

"LucasArts Soundtracks"

A site showcasing the brilliant work of LucasArts' music department, and enabling you to make decent soundtrack CDs of the best game soundtracks ever.

Right now the site features the following soundtracks:

"The Secret of Monkey Island"
"Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge"
"The Curse of Monkey Island"
"Escape from Monkey Island"
"Sam & Max Hit the Road"
"Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"
"Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb"
"Star Wars: Dark Forces"

But of course I will add more content as I find time. Right now Kenneth L. Simonsen (who did a fantastic job of MP3ifing "The Fate of Atlantis" and "Dark Forces") is working on more soundtracks for the site, and I am going to start working on the "Day of the Tentacle" soundtrack next week.

Adding to that I am going to create stylish CD-covers for all the soundtracks (right now only the four MI-soundtracks have covers), so that they don't look too dull on your shelf.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I like working on it (and of course listening to the music), and please, help me spread the word that this site exists...

Here's the link:

LucasArts Soundtracks

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
BooJaka

Very very nice. I like
BooJaka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
This site should get proper hosting with a subdomain either at TSB or Mojo...

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Jake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
@Jake:

Yeah, I already mailed Remi about that... he says he'll try to get me a subdomain in the next days.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 AM   #5
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

Grrrreat site!

You should remove "scrolling=yes" from the frameset tags.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Thanks *g*

(And I can't remove the "scrolling" from the tags, because people with lower resolution need them... I hate those scrolling bars too, but it has to work for everybody.)

Old 12-01-2003, 07:40 AM   #7
Alien426

Nah, scroll bars will automatically be displayed when needed. (Kannst du bei SelfHTML nachlesen.)

I just noticed that there is music from Dark Forces. I can't wait to get home and check that out. Guess it was really hard to get that music in an acceptable form - it relied heavily on iMuse.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 AM   #8
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
(Dann muss ich mir SelfHTML wohl nochmal zur Gemüte führen)

And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!

Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
It's great. and as you say in your opening statement about the old acronym being hard to remember, I think LAS is something that's gonna be around for a while. Might I suggest the Full throttle soundtrack for the near future (no rush, but it's sure to be a hit). God Luck man.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 10:41 AM   #10
Jake
INSANE

Quote:
Originally posted by Laserschwert And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!
The DF soundtrack is really awesome! Jeez. I'd sort of avoided it when I was looking around the site earlier because I sort of expected it to be crappy sounding

A lot of people use gigastudios it seems like, including Clint Bajakian and Jeremy Soule (he did the KOTOR soundtrack as well as probably a lot of other games).

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Old 12-01-2003, 08:35 PM   #11
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The International House of Mojo Staff 
This is amazing. You know what would be REALLY cool, though? Remixes of the NES Maniac Mansion themes. That would be, like, COOL. Really cool. Not that I'd ever ask anyone to do it or anything.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #12
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
@Joshi:

Well, doing "Full Throttle" would be cool, but unfortunately the game doesn't really have that much music that can be ripped from the game. And besides that, the soundtrack with all the "Gone Jackals"-songs ("Bone Pick") is still available. So that probably wouldn't happen.

@Udvarnoky:

It's very hard to get good quality music from all the old LucasFilmGames-games, like "Maniac Mansion" or "Zak MacKracken". There are two great remixes from the main titles of those two games, made by Puffy64. I WOULD be interested in adding a "Classics"-section to my site, containing all the music from those games. But those older games didn't have that much music in them, though I've gotta admit, that I've never played the NES-version of "Maniac Mansion", so I don't know what's with the music inthat version. But even if it's good enough, how on earth would I rip data from an NES-game??

Old 12-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #13
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The NES version has themes for each character..good ones, too.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:51 PM   #14
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
All right, just before I wanted to answer to your post by asking, if you could record the tunes from the NES, I found 11 MIDIs ripped from the NES-version on the web.

But still, can you record those files to your PC?

EDIT: Never mind, got the NES-game to work on the PC, and it sounds just terrible. So, I'll try to turn the MIDIs into something... though I don't think they're good enough, and you were talking about remixes. Well, I'll try to talk Puffy64 into something... no promises though.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 12-01-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 PM   #15
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The MIDIS you got were remixes, and if you're listening using a ROM, it will indeed sound terrible.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #16
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
All right, the first DOTT-track is up... but be patient... the rest will still take a while... this one's just an appetizer...

Old 12-10-2003, 11:13 PM   #17
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

Wow. This is great stuff.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:49 AM   #18
woodenstool

It would be better if you put the lengths of the tracks too.
woodenstool is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2003, 05:43 AM   #19
CaliMonk

Quote:
Originally posted by Laserschwert
All right, the first DOTT-track is up... but be patient... the rest will still take a while... this one's just an appetizer...
Great stuff, i'd like to note though, your link in your sig doesn't work :-)

Lonsdale, Fred Perry or Ben Sherman clothes don't make someone a racist, someone's thoughts and behaviour do.
CaliMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #20
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally posted by CaliMonk
Great stuff, i'd like to note though, your link in your sig doesn't work :-)
Oh shoot!

Well, that was the link to the old page, which HAD an index.html file... now it's just index.htm... ah, you've gotta learn to appreciate the little things in life

Old 12-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #21
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
Hello there

This is a reply to Captain Solo's threat.
Just to get everyone here in the know, while looking at the soundtrack for COMI I noticed that many of the track names had been taken from my COMI track list, posted on theiMuse Island forum.

After mailing Solo/Jan/whatever, telling them about this and asking for a little credit (book writers put references in Bibliographies when writing, don't they?), he denied it.

Captain Solo is a regular forumite at iMuse Island, and has a reply in the thread.

Solo said that most were taken from the Scumm Revisited file, which I did not even know existed when I created mine (for my own purposes, really, but I thought I'd share it). I can't get through to the link now, I don't know how close I got. But I have obviously left my mark on many of the track names, specifically:

Murray's Introduction (Ship Exterior after the Battle)
Maturity In 23 Seconds (Guybrush grows up - 23 seconds is the length of the track, including a LeChuck-theme bit that was cut out from the game)
"Time Out, Young Man" (I thought this would be quite a classy name for the scene where little Guybrush steps out of the carriage to the LeChuck theme)
Voodoo & Things (made up, obviously)
Quicksand/Papapishu (quicksand would have done, but I thought I'd get the gag in as well)
Jazzy Voodoo In The Swamp (word for word)
The various 'Swordfighting' titles, 'cept one (which I didn't like either. The reason I gave all these different titles was they were getting boring and I was trying to add a bit of humor)
The Undead Lovers (purely my own)

(There were few that were also changed, but I prefer mine. 'That's A Duck' and 'Guybrush Floating Theme' - which is the official name, according to the end credits, taken as it is from MI2)

Solo denies copying me.
What do you think?

I'm not asking for money, or anything ridiculous. My list must have been some help at some point, and for that I'd just like Solo to admit it.

Sound petty, don't I? It's a bloody great achievement, very handy, those Soundtracks. I especially like the back/front covers. Ungrateful, I'm not, just so you know.
The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #22
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Hey, Tingler... good to see you in this thread now... I really would like to know what the other people think about this little "difference in opinion".

As my defense, I've gotta say, I don't deny that those track-names were made up by you, it's absolutely possible that I completed the track list from the ScummRevisited annotation file with your track names.

I just think it's a little over the top crediting you for coming up with them...

But as I said, let's ask the public.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:52 PM   #23
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
The credit list for the tracks should go on for a long time, with Michael Land et al at the top of the list. I don't think anyone cares who named the tracks, as they all have real names anyway. If there was a credit list anywhere to do with these unofficial soundtracks, I wouldn't read it. If The Tingler came up with some of the names for the tracks, the least you can do is say so in the "comments" section of the ID Tag.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 04:57 AM   #24
Alien426

Kindergarten.

For chrissake, add a small line with credits for the track names to the site. Maybe in a FAQ section, which Jan is bound to make sonner or later anyways. But nobody should expect him to re-upload the MP3s.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #25
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Why would Jan need to re-upload the MP3s?

On a side note, I've got to ask... why do they take so long to download? I've tried on various different computers, and they all download the MP3s to various degrees of slow.

I did prevail, and now have a decent Monkey Island Melodies (comprising of music from COMI and EFMI mainly, with a few select tracks from MI2 to finish it off). I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, as this is first time I've had access to a CD rewriter.

A momentous occasion. Of course, I could have done it without this site, but it sure as hell made it a lot easier.

Also, how come you have so many different names, Jan?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:28 PM   #26
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Oh my good god... suggesting a SERIOUS discussion in this forum about this issue was a pretty stupid idea (I admit, it was MY stupid idea)... at least your comments somehow seem like you're only on the verge of being a grown up...

I am VERY sorry that the MP3s don't download fast enough for you... "I'll look into it"... or something

By the way, the "re-uploading the files" comment referred to LucasTones' idea of adding your name to the comment-tag in the MP3 files... which I would have to re-upload, if I'd changed those tags.

And concerning the "many different" names, my real name is Jan, my forum-name at Mix-n-Mojo is Laserschwert and since my e-mail is captain_solo@gmx.net, my name at the iMuse-Island-forum was CaptainSolo... (though I don't really understand the context here).

Back on topic: I share LucasTones' opinion here, "I don't think anyone cares who named the tracks".

Old 12-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #27
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Considering this stupid site is the only one I'm having problems with, I suggest that you do.

For example, I just downloaded the Catalyst 3.10 drivers from ATi at a size of 23.1Mb, and it took just under 10 seconds.

It took at least 25-30 seconds for each file on your site, on a good day. Somehow I doubt there is a massive stampede to get these files.

ME not grown up? I'm trying to be civilised here. I complimented you on your fantastic site (twice), and have said just how useful it has been to me. I asked a couple of inoffensive questions. I notified you of a problem I've been having with your site, as I thought you'd be concerned. Obviously none of these things matter to you.

I will not lower myself to your level, and I am I not asking for you to do something as ridiculous as re-uploading the MP3s as you have obviously gone through a lot of work already, particularly renaming the site as 'LucasArts Soundtracks'.

We have only had a couple of opinions here, and I notice you sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything).

How serious would you like me to get?
What's wrong with a proper credits list on your site, as suggested by Alien426?
A simple "do you mind if I borrow a few of your track names?" would have done. You could have posted on the iMuse Forum, and I would have said "yeah, sure, go ahead".
Bit rude, wasn't it? Your character, I suppose.

The Tingler

PS You may have noticed that I'm not being quite as pleasant this time around. Three guesses why.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #28
Jake
INSANE

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, governer of California: STOP IT! STOP WHINING!

Old 12-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #29
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Your governor said that?

In this case, I agree with him. ;

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 08:04 PM   #30
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Yeah Tingler, shh. You bitch.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 11:59 PM   #31
anonymous_guest
Lurker

Thumbs down

*deleted*
(Anonymous Guest made a racist comment, totally irrelevant to discussion)

Last edited by LucasTones; 12-19-2003 at 11:09 PM.
anonymous_guest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2003, 09:17 AM   #32
Alien426

...says the guy with no location.

Afraid someone might say something about destruction of cultures, slavery and colonization practices of certain other countries? You can find the dark spot on any person. So don't stoop so low and pretend you're a little angel from heaven. And STOP BEING A ****ING PRICK!

Guys, can we settle this without that annoying "anonymous_guest"? I guess all would be satisfied with a credits list / FAQ section on the site.

Tingler, I didn't mean to offend you. I know it can suck when people take the fruits of (more or less) hard labour and (maybe unintentionally) make it look like it was theirs.

> It took at least 25-30 seconds for each file on your site, on a good day.

Dude, you have every right to demand those precious seconds back. Someone from the SCUMM Bar will have to pay!!!!!1111

Old 12-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #33
Wizball

Damn yeah! Why can't a free private site be as fast as a COMPANY web-site?

I think we have EVERY right to demand that EVERY server regardless who is paying for it needs to be connected via T1 at minimum...

Back in the old days I waited DAYS for some downloads to finish...
Simply get something like GetRight, queue the mp3s and forget them until GetRight reports "Finished".

Spoiled kids!

To the loser asking for "due" credit for using his file names:
LOL.
If anyone would have the right to ask for credits it would be LEC not some "fan" that thinks he re-invented the wheel by naming some mp3s...

Oh and I hope you still DO fear the Germans.
If not give me your address you anon f*g and I will convience you to fear us.

As Alien426 said: Kindergarden!
Wizball is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #34
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Wow, this topic grew into an "ethnic discussion" (if you could call anonymous' racistic comments such). I am impressed... sadly in a negative way... and though I think I know who this "anonymous" is, I won't tell my theories in the hope of a peaceful settlement.

Still, it scares me, how Germany is still seen as the Nazi-Country of the world... and that this (for the lack of a better word) DUMB opinion is used as an argument in a discussion. For god's sake, take your head out of the box!

With that being said, back on topic:

Tingler, concerning MY opinion, you said that I "sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything)". But maybe you should read my e-mail again, which clearly says that THAT is MY opinion since you mailed me...

And concerning your "problem" with my site and the fact that they obviously "don't matter to me"... uhm, there are some servers out there that are faster than other servers... and sometimes you just have to accept the fact, that you might have the bad luck of getting onto one that's a little slower. For my part I've gotta say a big THANK YOU to Jake, RemiO and the whole ScummBar-team for hosting my site on their server...

Taking on the credits-issue: As I already told you in my e-mail, Tingler, it's important for me to give credit to the people who deserve it... but you've got to see the relative difference of effort put into composing a soundtrack, re-mixing and -arranging it from MIDI, designing CD-covers and thinking up names for ten or twenty tracks... if there was a soundtrack which was ripped or converted by you, then you would of course get proper credit. But this is just ridiculous.

@Wizball:
Well, thanks for the support, but please calm down. I really don't want any comments concerning race in this thread... and getting aggressive doesn't help.

All right, I hope we can change the topic now...

Anybody?

Any interesting topics?

Old 12-19-2003, 07:15 PM   #35
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Oh Jesus f**king Christ, where the hell did all this come from? This is the reason I rarely venture on to forums these days.
How did racism sneak into a topic about making CDs from computer game music?

Jan, are you suggesting that I'M this anonymous_guest? I severely hope not. Why would I need to insult you through a pseudonym, and especially with racism?

Quote:
Tingler, concerning MY opinion, you said that I "sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything)". But maybe you should read my e-mail again, which clearly says that THAT is MY opinion since you mailed me...
I'm a little confused by this. Are you LucasTones?

As for reading mail, did anyone actually bother to read of all my post?

There is a sizeable difference between 2.3Mb and 23.1Mb, yet the smaller takes up to or over three times as long. Clearly some problem there, but I promise I will not mention it again.

All I suggested was that you should have said "please" in the first place. Be polite, that's all.

This rant is now over. I thought it was ridiculous to bother with in the first place, but it was Jan's suggestion to come here.

However, I freely admit that the reason I brought this here, and especially my words in my second post, is because Jan was, simply, rude for no reason, both in his e-mail and his posts. Sound petty? Civility and politeness cost nothing, and it's all too rare to find in a forum.

Quote:
A simple "do you mind if I borrow a few of your track names?" would have done. You could have posted on the iMuse Forum, and I would have said "yeah, sure, go ahead".
Yes, I'm quoting myself. I thought it needed to be restated.

I think "flamed" is the adequate expression for my suspicions about what is to follow.

Chris "The Tingler" Capel

PS Alien426, since when was I getting on at you?!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:07 PM   #36
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Okay, this is getting a little silly now isn't it?

The Tingler, you've made your opinion perfectly clear: you claim to have named some of the tracks yourself, and Jan didn't ask you if he could use your names when he made the MP3's. We all now know that you may or may not have come up with the names, and nobody cares. I understand that you might be mad, but if Jan had announced "Named by The Tingler" when he unveiled the site nobody would have known what he was going on about. The majority of the effort in making the LucasArts Soundtracks site was done by Jan, and so to him the credit goes. Thats the end of discussion.

If we're going to carry on talking about this I'll close the thread. Get back on topic!

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #37
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

What was the topic again?

PS Preston? Good on you mate!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #38
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

So, are the CD covers ever going to work again?
Old 12-24-2003, 06:39 AM   #39
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
What do you mean "work again"? Don't they work right now?

Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 PM   #40
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
All right, everybody... I finally gave my site an update... the following has happened:

- I slightly changed the design on the four MI-pages
- I've added the "Day of the Tentacle" soundtrack
- I've added CD covers for "Fate of Atlantis", "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam & Max"
- I changed the MI-covers from CMYK to RGB... and I recompressed them, so that they download faster now
- I added a preview on future sections

So, let the comments come!

(Oh, and you probably should clear your cache for the site to load correctly...)

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > "LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP