lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-14-2004, 02:24 AM   #241
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Regarding Sam & Max: Yeah, get the one from SoundFontIsland... it's great. I have already started doing an extended one myself, using Zaarins MIDIs.

Both the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" soundtracks are still in the making. Kenneth is working on them for quite a while now, and he keeps improving them more and more. I guess I can't host them on my site now, but since his "Dark Forces" is still available on the "Dark Forces MOD for JKA"-page, I guess his new ones might get hosted there as well. Don't ask me how long it'll take though... he's having some "issues" right now.

Concerning that copyright thing, I don't think contacting the right owners would change anything. And if we would be starting a petition, it shouldn't be about my site being allowed to host the music, but making the soundtracks OFFICIALLY available... either as purchasable CDs (I would definitely buy them), or as downloads on the official page. And I mean COMPLETE soundtracks... not a handful of tracks, as they're doing it right now with a few games.

And the problem with the older LucasFilmGames / LucasArts games is that they had either very little music, or very low quality files. I have installed "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" recently, and I managed to run it with DosBox. The music does work, but it's veeeery little, and the quality is... modest. Somebody would have to redo the themes... and I am no musician, even if I have some experience in MIDI-sequencing.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #242
lagagaffe
Lurker

Personnally, I was disapointed to notice that the music of the man who wants to commit a suicide in DOTT is missing of the soundtracks (it's my favorite !). But it's fabulous at all ! (thank you one more time !)

Day Of the Tentacle is the best game of the 20th century !
lagagaffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #243
JBRAA
Likes Mojo ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by lagagaffe
Personnally, I was disapointed to notice that the music of the man who wants to commit a suicide in DOTT is missing of the soundtracks (it's my favorite !). But it's fabulous at all ! (thank you one more time !)
Isn't that song, the same as one of the four Snuckeys themes? =)

JBRAA is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 03:13 AM   #244
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Yep, Dwayne's theme from "Day of the Tentacle" is one of the Snuckey themes.

Unfortunately the DOTT soundtrack is already maxed out... almost 79 minutes... Dwayne's theme just doesn't fit on there anymore (and I don't want to lose any of the other themes). But as I said, I am going to do the extended Sam & Max soundtrack, so the theme will be on that one.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:11 AM   #245
lagagaffe
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by JBRAA
Isn't that song, the same as one of the four Snuckeys themes? =)
You're right !

And very nice for the Sam & Max soundtracks ! Your site is really my favorite !!!

Day Of the Tentacle is the best game of the 20th century !
lagagaffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 09:47 AM   #246
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
It's not only YOUR favourite site... it's LucasArts' as well!

Arrgh!

What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #247
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally posted by Laserschwert
But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts.
Hey, lawyerspeak sounds the same whoever emits it. I like your site though. And to think, I was wondering how to get the tracks out of FOCOM almost ever since I bought it...

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #248
masterdebator
Rookie

Hello, I am a noobie to the Lucas Forums webring, but I am NO noobie to the Monkey Island series. I really love the MI2 soundtracks, they are my favorite. Now, I love the fact that the tracks are revamped, so-to-speak from the originals, well since the original sound bytes were MIDI, and since when you rip them, they are in tiny pieces, I want to give you major props for compiling, or finding the completed versions, and putting them all in one place. I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them. Are they the same as the Amigas? Also, I love the high quality MP3's, but I have dial-up, and it takes about ten minutes to download one song, will this be differant in the future, like I was reading the forum, and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up. Thank you SO much for updating my daydreams that I've been having since 1993.

--MD

PS, I love the artwork, especially the cd covers, you could put them in the ZIP also.

masterdebator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #249
JBRAA
Likes Mojo ;)

Quote:
What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

Dude. You are the ****ing best webmaster ever. The best music LucasArts fan since Serge/Telarium/Luc Gilbertz (LGH) work on the incredible midis and info. LucasArts social life is like a ****ing retarded 8 year old hiding in its closet playing with star wars figures, not haveing a CLUE what to do with its fans. Get a ****ing BRAIN UPGRADE LEC. Now I've been harsh enough.

JBRAA is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #250
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally posted by masterdebator
I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them.
That's strange, since, as far as I know, those are the tracks from the MI CD-version... not the Amiga-version.

Quote:
... and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up.
Since this would require me to put each soundtrack up twice, I don't think I'll do that. After all, JUST GET A DOWNLOAD MANAGER... makes it a lot easier.

Regarding that legal talk, well, I finally got a reply from Ronda Scott:

Quote:
Ronda Scott - LucasArts Public Relations
We have a relationship with a company who has the rights to publish our soundtracks. It is, from what I understand, though I am no lawyer, the responsibility of LucasArts to protect this company's interests. I believe they contacted our legal department to see if we were aware of your site.

For most of the music created specifically for LucasArts, you are probably right, we own those rights. But if we've signed a deal with someone to be the distributor for that music, we have to protect that relationship.
To give her some credit, being a PR-person is mostly a very unthankful job, and especially in cases like this, when it comes to legal issues, she has to deal with topics that are not really her profession.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 PM   #251
ramy
Rookie

That's pretty interesting to know. I wonder which company LucasArts has this relationship with. I wonder if that also includes the in-house, classic LucasArts music (not starwars/indiana jones). Hopefully this company will be cool in future situations for everyone's sake.

Plus if they have the rights to publish the soundtracks, why don't they? Wouldn't that be great if it were in the works to get these songs out on the shelves? I would buy them all!

ramy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #252
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
Ozzie Mandrill doesn't know SQUAT about being a REAL entrepeneur!

I hope everyone here would... WOULDN'T YOU?!?

Not KOTOR though, I'm happy with that one.

Actually, the legal clash here about John Williams' themes is probably the same reason why no Indy or Star Wars soundtracks are released, despite both Emperor's Tomb and KOTOR having fantastic orchestral scores and would lend themselves perfectly to soundtracks.
The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #253
Murray the Chao

I say put it all back up. If FucasArts(I'm calling them that again because they have dared to attack our beloved Mojo)doesn't in fact own the copyrights, then they do NOT have the right to make you take it down.

Murray the Chao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #254
ramy
Rookie

They asked to take the one's that they don't own (sw/i.j.) off because they don't want to get into trouble with other companies. I can understand that. They allowed the ones that they owned to stay online. So be thankful.

ramy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #255
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
@Murray:

As Ronda stated, when they made the contract to license the music for their games, they commited themselves to protect this copyright. So, they are abolutely legitimate about it.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #256
masterdebator
Rookie

OK, I don't have enough patience to read all of this, but who did the artwork? I am looking for a good program, that is cheap, that I can download to a DIAL-UP computer. Yeah 28.8 is really Hell. So I was told of this one fox something, but it was almost a gig, so I said, "yeah right." Can someone burn it, and send it to me, I'll pay for the CD or DVD via cash, because I don't have a bank account. Please, CD's are cheeper, but I have a DVD burner if it has to be that way.

But, the artwork is really great, I like the transparencies, like the Outlaws, I hope no one minds, but I used that picture somewhere else, but I didn't alter it. And I ave the site name, where I found it. But how do you do it?

Also, yeah, I think that this last time was fairly nice, not like the other message, that used the term, "terminate." I litteraly hate that word.

Quote:
Ja,/Si,/Oui,/Sì,/Sim,/Yes,

Wer tat das artwok? Ich mag die Abbildungen. Die transparenten Hintergründe, der, den Sie nicht, was Programm sehen, wurden benutzt? War es ein freies Programm? Woher würde ich dieses Programm erhalten? Ist es eine große Akte? Ich denke, daß die letzte Anzeige das alot war, das netter als das erste ist.

¿Quién hizo el artwok? Tengo gusto de los cuadros. ¿Los fondos transparentes, de que que usted no ve, qué programa fueron utilizados? ¿Era un programa libre? ¿De dónde conseguiría este programa? ¿Es un archivo grande? Pienso que el mensaje pasado era alot más agradable que primer.

Qui a fait l'artwok? J'aime les images. Les milieux transparents, cela que vous ne voyez pas, quel programme ont été employés? Était-ce un programme libre? D'où obtiendrais-je ce programme? Est-ce un grand dossier? Je pense que le dernier message était alot plus gentil que le premier.

Chi ha fatto il artwok? Gradisco le immagini. Gli ambiti di provenienza trasparenti, quello che non vedete, che programma sono stati usati? Era un programma libero? Dove otterrei questo programma? È una grande lima? Penso che l'ultimo messaggio sia stato alot più piacevole di quello primo.

Quem fêz o artwok? Eu gosto dos retratos. Os fundos transparentes, aquele que você não vê, que programa foram usados? Era um programa livre? De onde eu começaria este programa? É uma lima grande? Eu penso de que a última mensagem era alot mais agradável do que primeiro.

Who did the artwok? I like the pictures. The transparent backgrounds, that you don't see, what program was used? Was it a free program? Where would I get this program? Is it a large file? I think that the last message from Lucasarts was alot nicer than the first one.

I am sure you can understand something here.

Last edited by masterdebator; 10-21-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #257
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
@MasterDebator:

I don't know how to put it... but let me say it this way:

WHAT???

Old 10-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #258
masterdebator
Rookie

Ja,/Si,/Oui,/Sì,/Sim,/Yes,

Wer tat das artwok? Ich mag die Abbildungen. Die transparenten Hintergründe, der, den Sie nicht, was Programm sehen, wurden benutzt? War es ein freies Programm? Woher würde ich dieses Programm erhalten? Ist es eine große Akte? Ich denke, daß die letzte Anzeige das alot war, das netter als das erste ist.

¿Quién hizo el artwok? Tengo gusto de los cuadros. ¿Los fondos transparentes, de que que usted no ve, qué programa fueron utilizados? ¿Era un programa libre? ¿De dónde conseguiría este programa? ¿Es un archivo grande? Pienso que el mensaje pasado era alot más agradable que primer.

Qui a fait l'artwok? J'aime les images. Les milieux transparents, cela que vous ne voyez pas, quel programme ont été employés? Était-ce un programme libre? D'où obtiendrais-je ce programme? Est-ce un grand dossier? Je pense que le dernier message était alot plus gentil que le premier.

Chi ha fatto il artwok? Gradisco le immagini. Gli ambiti di provenienza trasparenti, quello che non vedete, che programma sono stati usati? Era un programma libero? Dove otterrei questo programma? È una grande lima? Penso che l'ultimo messaggio sia stato alot più piacevole di quello primo.

Quem fêz o artwok? Eu gosto dos retratos. Os fundos transparentes, aquele que você não vê, que programa foram usados? Era um programa livre? De onde eu começaria este programa? É uma lima grande? Eu penso de que a última mensagem era alot mais agradável do que primeiro.

Who did the artwok? I like the pictures. The transparent backgrounds, that you don't see, what program was used? Was it a free program? Where would I get this program? Is it a large file? I think that the last message from Lucasarts was alot nicer than the first one.

I am sure you can understand something here.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:17 AM   #259
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Online translations are making it only worse, but I think I got you now.

I am using Adobe Photoshop for my graphic-stuff... no, it's not free, but you can get it really cheap on eBay.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #260
masterdebator
Rookie

Quote:
Recently Stolen From Laserschwert's Head Cause Left The Windows Open (no really, look above you)
Online translations are making it only worse, but I think I got you now.
[hr]
Yes, I am an American, sue me. Actually, I know a little German, and a fair amount of Russian/Ukrainian mix.

[move][glow=red,2,300]Keyword here is a little[/glow][/move]

<font style="filter:glow(color=red, strength=2); height: 1;">Keyword here is a little</font>

Last edited by masterdebator; 10-21-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #261
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Still got it.

That Neti, isn't it? Wow, you really are a cunning linguist.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #262
daltysmilth
Rookie

I'm sure that at least part of the reason they (Lucasarts [and other companies as well]) don't release a lot of these soundtracks commercially is that they just don't think there's enough of a demand for them. It's the same reason the complete versions of film scores aren't released. At least in the U.S. I know in Japan there's a huge market for game soundtracks. Possibly film scores, as well, but I'm just assuming with that. Sure, maybe everyone on the Mojo network, and possibly Adventuregamers and other boards as well would buy a Day of the Tentacle or a Rogue Squadron soundtrack if one were released, but how many people is that? Probably not enough to warrant the release of a commercial soundtrack. Of course, like so many parts of our society, marketing is a chicken and egg thing. Companies don't release products because they don't think enough people would buy it to justify the expense in making it, and people won't buy something if the option to buy it is not presented to them. A "supply and demand" type economy is, by definition, controlled by both the producers and the consumers. Anyone who tells you differently is either lying or misinformed.

P.S. I'd like to echo Jan's earlier sentiment and say let's give a shout-out to P.R. people. They're like advertising people, but with integrity. (And if anyone on this board is in advertising, my apologies I mean no offense to you specifically [that I know of].)

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 12:47 AM   #263
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Yeah, I've been in advertsing for a while... but no offense taken

Old 10-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #264
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

daltysmilth, you're right about Japan. They have a version of Ghost Dog's soundtrack that's not just the rap parts, but an actual soundtrack.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #265
Murray the Chao

Quote:
@Murray:

As Ronda stated, when they made the contract to license the music for their games, they commited themselves to protect this copyright. So, they are abolutely legitimate about it.
There is NOTHING legitimate about FucasArts anymore!

They do NOT hold the actual copyright, thus they do not have the right to take it down.

Murray the Chao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2004, 06:12 PM   #266
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
They didn't take it down... I did.

And regarding their responsibility for the soundtracks from their games, they ARE legitimate.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:45 AM   #267
klokwerk
Lurker

Here they are for nostalgic reasons

I don't know if I should be posting these links, but considering the fact that the MP3 links no longer work, I thought it would be okay for me to do so.

Catch a glimpse of the soundtracks that are long gone, whether you saw them when they were online or not...

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Force Commander
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike
Star Wars: Dark Forces

Please, MODS, this shouldn't be violating any of the rules. I know that this site had to take down the MP3s due to legal action, but the links don't work -> this is purely to look at what was lost!
klokwerk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2004, 07:47 AM   #268
Rapp Scallion

Suggestion:
Adding pictures for direct printing on CD-Rs (With either disc 1/disc 2 or disc A/disc B written on them)

And I noticed something. The track "40 - Blue Casket Interior" in the PC soundtrack is named "40 - Blue Casket Exterior" in the filename. And beneath you'll find "41 - Inside the Blue Casket". And this makes me think that the Exterior/Interior track is from outside the Blue Casket. I haven't checked with the game what's correct, but I thought I'd let you know. It's named Blue Casket Interior on the CD cover.
Rapp Scallion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 AM   #269
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

You KNOW Salvador Limonez?

Is it?

Can't say I actually noticed, but the two are very distinct... I'll check that out and get back to you.

EDIT1: It will be the same, but not as clear as the Interior version.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:12 PM   #270
Rapp Scallion

Hehe, I didn't listen to them, I just noticed it when I downloaded the soundtrack. Well, I have listened to the two tracks now, and can say 100% that "Blue Casket Interior" is wrong and "Blue Casket Exterior" is correct.

Well, seems like someone has to change the cover, then...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:41 AM   #271
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

She steals from the rich, and gives to me to pour.

Yep, you're correct. It's a misspelling.

Just checked page 4 of this thread to see if I'd made the mistake, and... nope. Phew.

Laserschwert?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #272
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
I am almost sorry.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 AM   #273
Rapp Scallion

Well, I have written this in a mail to someone, but it's been a few months with no answer, so I'll take chance to ask the question again.

In the original Grim Fandango there is a (genius) track named Los Angelitos, but in the additional soundtrack, it's named Foreman’s Office. I wonder why you didn't keep the official name of the track when you created the additional soundtrack? I think there's one or two other tracks in the additional soundtrack which have got other official names, too. I can check it for you if you want.

And which tracks are the tracks from the OST which you didn't include on the additional soundtrack? (Well, if I'm going through all of the official soundtrack for names, I'll probably find it out...)

-Rapp Scallion
Old 11-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #274
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Go away bad man!

Again, check page 4 of this thread. There you'll find my complete in-depth guide to the Grim Fandango soundtrack.

Tracks marked with a * appear on the Official soundtrack, and I give the straight Scumm Revisited title with the soundtrack title in brackets.

Jan went for the straight version, perhaps in an effort to distinguish it from the Official soundtrack (which is also on the site, of course).

Out of all the tracks on the Official soundtrack, only Manny & Meche (second from last) isn't in the Complete soundtrack with its own track, although I think it might be in the End Credits.

EDIT: Oh, and if you were trying to e-mail Jan/Laserschwert/CaptainSolo, he's got a very very fussy e-mail provider - that's why I posted the soundtrack listing here.
(My e-mail address is on the site just under the Grim soundtrack if you want to chat further, off-forum)
Old 11-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #275
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Yeah, what Tingler said. I took the names from him, so "blame" him

Old 11-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #276
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

You know, I was thinking of buying this place.

Not for the Exterior/Interior bit though. That's your fault.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #277
Rapp Scallion

Just one question: Am I the only one that have an error at the end of the ending credits on the extended soundtrack? Something happens, and suddenly it gets quiet (the last seconds).

Edit: (I'm talking about the extended Grim Fandango soundtrack)

Last edited by Rapp Scallion; 11-08-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #278
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

First, let me show you your new office.

Any plans on doing ... oh, wait, LucasArts won't let you do more Star Wars games, so that's Knights of the Old Republic 2 out the window. Damn.

(And to Rapp - yes, it does seem to cut off slightly prematurely, doesn't it?)
Old 12-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #279
daltysmilth
Rookie

I was just thinking. Would it be possible or kosher (for some of the Star Wars/Indiana Jones games) to put up instructions for how people could make their own soundtracks using materials they might have around the home? Sure it's not the same as being able to download them from your site, but still...

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #280
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

*cough*my site*cough*

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > "LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP