lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Jedi Academy Reloaded (admin mod for JA)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #41
atx250

Then why quote? Since u posted next to him, we all knew who you were talking to. Dont worry about it, wasnt an attack on you, just that question popped into my head.

Quote:
(gotta get to school)
Got ya
atx250 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #42
Rumor
caffeine has go power!

i hate having to scroll down to see the topic review and i prevent confusion by quoting the post i'm responding to. (aka i'm ****ing lazy )

Rumor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 06:24 PM   #43
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

Here we go again. An admin mod comes out, and the usual x-mod defenders are there to either flame or protect or whatever. Just STFU and leave it alone to whoever dislikes it!

EDIT: Look, I know how annoying it gets when some admin amsleeps you and all that ****. In JK2, I entered a french server. They said ''no laming'', so I said ''ok''. Next thing I know they're all breaking their own rules, so I thought they changed the rules. So I killed them with their sabers off, and what do you know, I'm called a lamer and I am amsleeped. I cussed atleast 20 times before I disconnected.
Still, on every thread like this, you don't need to bring up the same old points you bring in every adminmod thread such as ''a kid got it for his birthday and he wants to play it, but finds himself getting amsleeped and slayed, ruining his experience'' we heard that atleast 10-20 times.
We get the point.

"It's Jango Fett! And he's brought his head!"
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #44
Dracofyre

1.) If you're clan is holding a meeting/practice/whatever, and you can't keep someone quiet during the meeting, then maybe you should rethink if that person should even belong in the clan. A quick yell of "Keep it up and you're going to be banned from the clan!" is a very good way to shut them up. If they don't, then boot their sorry asses. If you actually NEED crap like sleep, and all that other stuff, to maintain order, then you're a piss poor admin/clan leader.

2.) Why is that ONLY JKA needs all that extra crap? There are TONS of servers for a variety of games, and they all seem to do fine with just kick/ban. Once again, the admins don't need **** like the sleep command. What they need to do, is to learn to do their god damn job. If they did that, then we wouldn't really need admin mods of any sort.

3.) Coraith, I'm not sure which JKA YOU play, but it's obviously not the same as ours. The majority of servers for JKA are run by idiot admins, that force their "honor codes" on the players, and abuse their powers. Then again, if I remember right, you are one of those bowing freaks, so you probably never have problems on all these "good" servers. Oh and it's "Can't see the forest for the trees." Just thought I'd let you know.
Dracofyre is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 07:07 PM   #45
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Question Hold the phone....!

Quote:
Kurgan, we can all see you are an intelligent man but judge your replies to other threads including this one and most would come to the conclusion that you don't play the JK games that much and your mistakes in certain threads has show this, therefore all though your arguments carry weight at first its soon becomes apparent that it is all second hand points of view.
Coraith, I respectfully beg to differ. Do people have that impression of me? That I "don't play the game very much" and therefore my arguments "don't carry weight?"

Every game in the series I got on the day it came out (except for DF1) and I played JK/MotS for 3+ years straight. I've been a member of JK.net (in all its many forms) since around November 1997.

I will admit that I more or less only played JK2 sporadically after the release of the last patch, but that was due more to lack of time (school and other activities) than anything else. With JA I started anew, spending just as much time on it as any of the other games, playing it many hours a week. My server runs pretty much 24/7 and has since shortly after the win32 server binaries were publically released. And I don't just play on my server, I also "go pubbing" like many here like to do.

And yes, I have witnessed the "honor n00bie" syndrome and the power mad admin syndrome, and I've been around the block enough to know that it's a problem with (at least) some people and that I don't want to be like that.

Those Strategy sites I have should at least show that I "did my homework." They're not perfect, but they represent at least a fraction of the time and effort I've put into these games. I haven't spent all my time bitching on forums or bragging about my "l33t sk1llz." ; )

It's true that I can't be everywhere at once, I can't play every single player and join every single server, and have a contest with every single clan (which would be pointless since I'm not IN A CLAN MYSELF and that right there disqualifies me from ever expressing an opinion in some people's minds... because if you're not in a clan you're automatically a "n00b" even though that ignores the fact that there are plenty of "n00b" clans and clans with mediocre players in them).

If I was claiming to be the greatest JA player of all time, or that I knew everything there is to know about the game, maybe people could use that against me, but I don't. And I've always been a strong supporter of the "admin of a server gets to make the rules, don't like it, leave" philosophy. However, that doesn't mean I can't point out how the use of abusive mods contributes to bad admin-behavior (which rubs off on players and leads to people making angry rants on here against honor codes and admin mods).

So honestly I don't see your big problem with my opinions. My opinions are my opinions based on my experience (just like I assume your's are... you decided what you believe based on what happened to you, rather than what your clan told you).

That's all. If you have different experiences fine. You may even have different opinons (gasp!), but don't expect me to agree with every single one of them. ; )

Where was I shown to be wrong? What "mistakes" are you referring to?

Or is this another veiled reference to the "FF Sabers Only CTF" elites and their demands for a kick patch for JA?

So your innendo that I don't know anything because I'm a n00b falls flat. Next time at least try to provide some evidence before you bash me for no reason.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 07:10 PM   #46
Dracofyre

/me waves the Go Kurgan flag
Dracofyre is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 PM   #47
Rad Blackrose
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Coraith
Well FK | unnamed, it would appear that you managed to play on all the "worst" servers in JO for admin abuse and avoided all the good ones, this is the only way you would have come by such a "dismal" view of the JK community at large.
-Image removed due to mod PM-

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and come to realize that admin mods WERE abused across the boards, and a good majority of that came from OmniMod/Jedi Academy mod servers.

We shouldn't have to bring back the abuse threads from the JKII forums just to show how much **** is given to people who just want to play the damn game.

Quote:
Kurgan, we can all see you are an intelligent man but judge your replies to other threads including this one and most would come to the conclusion that you don't play the JK games that much and your mistakes in certain threads has show this, therefore all though your arguments carry weight at first its soon becomes apparent that it is all second hand points of view.
Considering the fact that he runs a server, and also plays on it (been there, done that, whooped his ass by the way), secondhand my ass.

The only thing he would have second hand knowledge of is the clan scene, and xmod. That's it.

Quote:
Here are some "facts" from my extensive experience with JO and the Admin mod created by ChoosenOne here.

On average 8 out of 10 servers that I personally played on regularly used JA Admin mod. On average 7 out of 8 ran the mod without abuse.
See picture above.

Quote:
The majority of dedicated server owners are adults, manly because most parents would not pay 30-50 dollars a month for their Childs game. Therefore most servers are run by mature people who have no interest in "power" over other gamers and just wish to have the rules followed, as is their right as the bill payer. Now thatís a fact I know through my own experience with other various server owners/various clans.
Just because the server operator pays for the server does not mean that he's going to have extra "help" on hand, meaning he's going to give a bunch of bitter, pissy children the /ampass and let them run rampant. And when their admin access IS revoked (which I have NEVER seen occur even in a ****storm), they bawl like a bunch of babies.

Quote:
This was the standard on most servers I played on in JO, fact. If not exactly like this is was something very similar. Warnings then kicked, a simple yet fair system.
List of servers please, since I know you're full of ****.

Quote:
If I purchase a dedicated server again I want to know that I can deal with players that won't follow my rules. This is my right as the server owner. If there is a mod out there that works better than Rcon then thatís better for a server owner and the regulars that play there and follow the rules.
Read uj's reply on rcon usage, especially since it can be used in and out of server.

Quote:
RL example,
The police carry night sticks and mace, should we campaign to have all their weapons removed because one or two slap happy cops maybe a bit over zealous with said weapons?
Think about those cops that are in trouble right now for excessive use of force. Note the word EXCESSIVE. Admin mods create abusable situations because the punishments administered are EXCESSIVE. A simple verbal warning/kick is enough to get the job done, with a ban following if he decides to come back and break it again.

Quote:
Following this simple rule I remained un-banned from any server and only managed to get myself kicked once.
Hi, I'm Rad Blackrose, Anti-Saberist Code. I come on to servers, kick ass, get banned from servers, press my reset button to be unbanned, come back, beat your asses some more, rinse, lather, repeat.

You may push me around,
but you cannot win.
You may throw me down,
but I will rise again.
The more you say,
the more I defy you.
So get out of my face...

Quote:
Now this may make me look a little sad but I played JO to death, every day for about 8 months and on hundreds of servers. This proves to me that if you follow the rules of the server you don't get admin abused. Fact, through personal experience.
Excuse me while I die of laughter for a bit.

I'm not going to bother quoting the rest of this post, because most if this is not factual, but instead contradictory to what occured on JKII servers and is a waste of my time to bother to reply to. It sounds like the typical "but my server wasn't like that!" post.

I want the last ten minutes of my life back, due to reading then replying to your piece of refuse you call a well articulated and "factual" post.

The facts are:
1.) On every server that administrated with an admin mod, people who were not qualified to be using said mods had access to use them anyways.
2.) Excessive use of commands in order for an administrator to be at the top when in fact his skill level was piddly **** created an abusive atmosphere with a monkey see, monkey do outlook.
3.) Admin mods breed chatrooms, the antithesis to what the game is: an FPS with melee combat orientated processes in a third person overview.
4.) Creators of mods refused to remove said commands in JKII for the fact that their mod would lose popularity, and thus the mod creator would lose popularity. So if you think about this, it is one big pissing match for these people.
5.) Master William, you came to our thread and decided to stir the pot. Now we're here. Retaliation following a pathetic pre-emptive strike. GG

Last edited by Rad Blackrose; 12-10-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Rad Blackrose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 PM   #48
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wink

Quote:
Considering the fact that he runs a server, and also plays on it (been there, done that, whooped his ass by the way), secondhand my ass.

The only thing he would have second hand knowledge of is the clan scene, and xmod. That's it.
Thank you.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 12-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #49
Leebs
Lurker

I remember in the xmod thread the competitive players were telling the honor players to get out off of their thread due to them continuously causing confrontation.

This is like deja vu....but vice versa
Leebs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 07:58 PM   #50
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
A simple verbal warning/kick is enough to get the job done, with a ban following if he decides to come back and break it again.
Incorrect.

If you were an admin at an "honor code" server, you'd understand.

Using the police example, consider this:

If the cop had to resort to simply telling a criminal not to do something, would the cops really get the criminal to stop?

*guy robs a bank*

Cop says: Hey you! Don't do that! Give that money back!
Criminal says: STFU

*cop runs after the criminal*

*criminal shoots the cop*

Well that worked good, huh?

And, you really can't ban people using rcon. You can only ban a couple people before you have to clear the bans and start over.

Also, rcon is not reliable at all. The JK3Files server admin called Atlas has a bug in his /rcon status which only lets him see a couple or no people. Which means anyone with a space in their name could not be kicked or banned.

Last edited by TK-8252; 12-20-2003 at 05:40 AM.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #51
g//plaZma

Quote:
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
Incorrect.

If you were an admin at an "honor code" server, you'd understand.

Using the police example, consider this:

If the cop had to resort to simply telling a criminal not to do something, would the cops really get the criminal to stop?

*guy robs a bank*

Cop says: Hey you! Don't do that! Give that money back!
Criminal says: STFU

*cop runs after the criminal*

*criminal shoots the cop*

Well that worked good, huh?

And, you really can't ban people using rcon. You can only ban a couple people before you have to clear the bans and start over.

Also, rcon is not reliable at all. The JK3Files server admin called Atlas has a bug in his /rcon status which only lets him see a couple or no people. Which means anyone with a space in their name could not be kicked or banned.
The thing you need to see, TK is that this is a video game and something as extreme as bank robbery is not relevant at all.

A simple warning/kick/ban/silence would do the trick. I mean what's this "lamer" going to do? Kill your player model? Who really cares? It doesn't do perm. damage or anything. Just kick/ban him after or sit there and cry. What we call the 12 yr old admins are the guys who see someone kill someone else (oh noz! pplz lievs are at stake!!!!) they immidiately pull out the /ampunish. A kick is sufficiant and doesn't waste anyones time.

It's not like the "lamer" will pull out a ban gun on the admin and ban him from his own server. It just doesn't work that way.

g//plaZma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #52
Master William

I understand how it is being an admin at those servers. I am an admin at the public gameservers.net servers, and heck do I get tired of telling people the same thing. Retards run around breaking the server rules, totally ignoring my damn spammage of the rules (I have to spam if they don't stop it), and I end up warning them 2-3 times. They don't seem to give a ****, so I kick them. They come back asking why they were kicked. I explain that he/she must follow the server rules, or get kicked. He/she starts cussing, and disconnects.

But hey, even if you wrote it in the sky with smoke, they wouldn't understand it, because they would rather scratch their asses instead of looking up.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #53
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Master William
I understand how it is being an admin at those servers. I am an admin at the public gameservers.net servers, and heck do I get tired of telling people the same thing. Retards run around breaking the server rules, totally ignoring my damn spammage of the rules (I have to spam if they don't stop it), and I end up warning them 2-3 times. They don't seem to give a ****, so I kick them. They come back asking why they were kicked. I explain that he/she must follow the server rules, or get kicked. He/she starts cussing, and disconnects.
Exactly.

And kicking someone from the server is supposed to be the last resort. Sleeping someone gives the admin an opportunity to explain the rules so that they are not broken again. Therefore there is little or no confusion and no need for a kick.

Although, just because someone breaks the rules they are "retarded" is not true.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #54
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

TK and Master William, please send all those "lamers" to my servers.

I will welcome them with open arms

Last edited by Amidala from Chop Shop; 12-06-2003 at 01:57 AM.
Amidala from Chop Shop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2003, 02:03 AM   #55
Rumor
caffeine has go power!

anyone that gets pissed at kurgan's posting of things regarding mods and whatnot remember this:

he always plays the devils advocate and argues for the other side to give you their perspective.

Old 12-06-2003, 02:07 AM   #56
Rumor
caffeine has go power!

Quote:
Originally posted by Leebs
I remember in the xmod thread the competitive players were telling the honor players to get out off of their thread due to them continuously causing confrontation.

This is like deja vu....but vice versa
negatory.

they were derailing a thread where we were talking about a specific thing for specific people.

if they want to debate with us then they can make a thread about it instead of invading everything and either flame baiting or flaming outright.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:40 AM   #57
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
I will welcome them with open arms
That's what I like about your disruption server, Amidala. No one even complains about laming.

Although there is the occasional chat kill whiner.

Complaining about chat kills in team games is so... stupid.

I never hesitate to chat kill in a team game.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:30 AM   #58
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

I saw you on there tonight. There was a good reason there was no complaining about laming: most of the time you were there, most of the other players were bots

142:53 Exit: Timelimit hit.
142:53 score: 77 ping: 55 client: 0 ^7[^4LC^7] TK-8252
142:53 score: 30 ping: 53 client: 1 ^1Dark^3Jedi
142:53 score: 11 ping: 0 client: 7 ^7PooperScooper
142:53 score: 10 ping: 0 client: 5 ^3!^1Peligrosso^3!
142:53 score: 9 ping: 0 client: 6 Billy-Boba Fett
142:53 score: 3 ping: 0 client: 4 ^1Scorpion
142:57 say: ^1Dark^3Jedi: gg
142:57 say: ^7[^4LC^7] TK-8252: bye bye
142:59 say: ^7[^4LC^7] TK-8252: gg
142:59 ShutdownGame:

My bots may whine ("laaag!" "i hate bots!") but they never complain about "laming". Bots may be stupid, but they are smart enough not to complain about something that doesn't exist (on my servers).

Last edited by Amidala from Chop Shop; 12-06-2003 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:39 AM   #59
Master William

Amidala, your servers sound like very nice servers, but I prefer to stay away from american servers, because they give me atleast 150 ping, and I hate lag. If I ever get a better connection, I might pay you a visit.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:56 AM   #60
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Master William
Amidala, your servers sound like very nice servers, but I prefer to stay away from american servers, because they give me atleast 150 ping, and I hate lag. If I ever get a better connection, I might pay you a visit.
Thank you Master William, I would be very happy to have you visit

You are right about ping, and due to the realities of geography, your ping will be higher. That is especially a disadvantage on the Disruption instagib server, where ping is king. Look above at TK's ping (55) and Dark Jedi's (53). They will have an advantage in that game. It's not as critical in non-instagib play. I know you are in Sweden. I have at least a couple of regulars from Finland, and one of them, IceStorm, is one of the top Chop Shop players, despite his ping usually running over 200.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #61
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Those bots were so easy it was pathetic.

I knew that they were bots, because they had 0 ping. But I meant back in JK2, when the server was full of real people.

I couldn't find your disruption server in the master list thing, just the saber servers. I had to put in the IP, is that why no one goes there yet?
Old 12-06-2003, 05:34 PM   #62
FK | unnamed
Forumite

I know you honor nerds want your perfect little structured Jedi fantasy worlds but the thing you always fail to forget is....

These are people you are dealing with on your servers, not bots, not actors in a star wars movie.

Some people just want to play a game.
If don't want game players on your servers, lock them and give the password to your regulars.

But letting the general public in and then pinning them to the ground with sleep commands (for the crime of playing the game) and then proceeding to tower over them and lecture them like children or demean them with insults is just a little fantasy Jedi power trip for you people and you damn well know it.

http://www.crossoveresports.com
FK | unnamed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #63
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
fail to forget
That means we remember. We remember that we are dealing with real people. Not bots, not Star Wars actors...

If we lock servers, how do new people get in? If someone is new to the game and wants to play with an honor code and all the honor servers are locked... how does he get in? He's forced to play with the big boys in the fight servers. And if your server you're a regular at is full, and you don't want to fight in a server, I guess you don't get to play.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:15 AM   #64
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Quote:
I couldn't find your disruption server in the master list thing, just the saber servers. I had to put in the IP, is that why no one goes there yet?
It shows up in mine. Make sure the ingame browser has Game: All and Type: N\A.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #65
zERoCooL2479

1.1 released in three different versions.

1) Win32 .zip file
2) Linux tar.gx file
3) Windows Installer

choose which one you want.
Enjoy!

~cHoSeN oNe
Mod Developer
The Jedi Academy
zERoCooL2479 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2003, 11:35 PM   #66
_PerfectAgent_

Quote:
If we lock servers, how do new people get in? If someone is new to the game and wants to play with an honor code and all the honor servers are locked... how does he get in?
If they were new to the game, they really wouldn't know about "honor code."

Quote:
He's forced to play with the big boys in the fight servers.
Sure, why not? That's how I started JK2. (The 1.02 days)

Quote:
And if your server you're a regular at is full, and you don't want to fight in a server, I guess you don't get to play.
If I didn't want to fight, I'd use an instant messenger program and surf the web.
_PerfectAgent_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #67
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
If they were new to the game, they really wouldn't know about "honor code."
Not true.

Quote:
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
If I didn't want to fight, I'd use an instant messenger program and surf the web.
Hmm, well that's just you isn't it?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #68
FK | unnamed
Forumite

bowing is gay.

http://www.crossoveresports.com
FK | unnamed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2003, 12:17 AM   #69
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
bowing is gay.
Well that was random.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #70
_PerfectAgent_

Quote:
Well that was random.
I concur. Well, it was very straight to the point... I guess....
Old 12-11-2003, 12:52 AM   #71
g//plaZma

Quote:
Not true.
How so? No other game besides JK2 had an honor code.

Quote:
Hmm, well that's just you isn't it?
Most people actually, a game seems to be impractical to use as a chat client.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 AM   #72
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by g//plaZma
How so? No other game besides JK2 had an honor code.
Who knows? Maybe they've been reading on forums and stuff like that and want to play in a more "structured" environment. Jedi Outcast/Academy isn't like most other games now are they?

Quote:
Most people actually, a game seems to be impractical to use as a chat client.
True that the game was not meant to be a chat program. But if it weren't for the chat feature I would never be where I am today... in clan [LC], and an admin at JK3Files. Heck, there wouldn't be any clans at all.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:26 AM   #73
_PerfectAgent_

Who's "they?" And the environment is structured enough through the way the game was made already. Oh and about the chat thing, I think he meant about the abuse of chat, not the simple use of it (not saying you do so or anything like that).
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 AM   #74
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

If you were following the discussion you'd know who "they" are.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 AM   #75
g//plaZma

Quote:
Who knows? Maybe they've been reading on forums and stuff like that and want to play in a more "structured" environment. Jedi Outcast/Academy isn't like most other games now are they?
Are you telling me every newcomer has been reading forums and stuff about honor?

Quote:
True that the game was not meant to be a chat program. But if it weren't for the chat feature I would never be where I am today... in clan [LC], and an admin at JK3Files. Heck, there wouldn't be any clans at all.
You know damn well what I mean. The game has a chat option, true but the most I've ever chatted at once was just a few words. Knowing how to use the chat button didn't exactly get me in any clans.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:39 AM   #76
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Are you telling me every newcomer has been reading forums and stuff about honor?
Nope. But who says all n00bs just JUMP right into the game without a little research first? I know I read up a little before jumping in...

Quote:
You know damn well what I mean. The game has a chat option, true but the most I've ever chatted at once was just a few words. Knowing how to use the chat button didn't exactly get me in any clans.
Aren't you in the g// clan or something?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 AM   #77
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wink

I think Xmod2's approach to "honor" is so far the best I've seen in a mod yet.

You'll see in the next version....

Old 12-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #78
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Last I heard, Xmod was still keeping the admin abuse commands. As far as I know, JAR is still the only mod which has removed the abuse commands. Although I like the language filter in one of these mods... was it Xmod?

I'm praying that cHoSeN oNe will be adding a server setting which allows a player to keep their saber turned on in a Force grip.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #79
Master William

Who cares about the ''amlaming'' and abuse? Isn't it worse to get kicked or banned or both at the same time rather than getting sleeped and slayed?

Also a funny thing -- I got bankicked from a server yesterday before I even entered it.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #80
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Nope. But who says all n00bs just JUMP right into the game without a little research first? I know I read up a little before jumping in...
If you look at the sales figures for JK2 and then look at the membership numbers for LucasForums you'll see a HUGE disparity.

If even half of the million+ people who bought JK2 play multiplayer, that means that the majority of them have never posted on these forums!

I run into tons of people who haven't even read the manual, much less heard of this site!

The "honor" code is made-up, and you can only learn about it from talking to other people who believe in it (a minority) or reading a forum where people talk about it.

The "honor code" is like an inside joke. Not funny unless you've heard the joke and understand it from somebody in the know.

Personally I think the honor codes are an insult to the game and the hard work the developers put into it.

Actually, I've heard of an "honor code" existing in Heretic II (melee combat + magic game made by Raven many years ago on the Quake II engine, which I never played). Heretic II from what I hear got great reviews, but mediocre sales. Due to poor marketing it never achieved the glory it deserved.

It had an "honor code" because people wanted to duel without interference and apparently the game wasn't setup by default to allow this.

The thing is, JK2 and JA are already setup to allow dueling without interferance (unlike say the original Jedi Knight). Thus "honor codes" are really unnecessary.

They were created because people wanted to take 1% of the gameplay and do only that, most likely because they couldn't be bothered to learn to adapt to the complex tactics needed to win in a battle with all weapons and powers enabled.

The folks who promote honor codes as the greatest thing since sliced bread are the same people you hear saying "OMG ABSORB IS CHEAP!" "GRIP IS UNSTOPPABLE!" "QUIT SPAMMING!" "Taht wuz LAME! YOU CHEATER!" "U scripter KICK HIM!" and other familiar cries of the whiner.

The "bowing" thing probably was to signal you were ready for a duel, but it's nonesensical because in a Saber Challenge the game already says "Begin!" and ignites both your sabers. What more signal do you need that you're "ready"?

And why do you have to show "respect" to a total stranger you're playing an online game with (99.99999% of people don't even use their real names as handles)? Isn't respect earned?

This isn't Kendo or Fencing, this is a video game (First Person Shooter) about fragging people using Star Wars weapons!

It's not even part of Star Wars to bow before a duel, or to "show honor." Just watch the films again and you'll see how the movie Jedi/Sith MISERABLY FAIL to live up to the honor codes these guys in the community claim to follow like the Gospel Truth.

It's silly.

TK8252MJL: In the "Criticis Corner" forum and on these forums Hex made comments that he was going to remove the abusive admin commands in the next version.

He invited me to a private beta test on his server last night as well, and we talked for a bit while testing some things for the next release. Again, he said he was going to remove the abusive admin commands.

Trust me on this, he's come around, he's implementing MUCH BETTER SOLUTIONS that will allow you to enforce your made-up honor codes all you want, WITHOUT resorting to the stupid pointless abuse-prone commands like amslap/slay/punish.

So sure, until that version is actually released, JA Reloaded is the only non-abusive Admin Mod for JA. But not for long...

That leaves only JA+ and OmNi Mod that still promote AMlaming. Maybe somebody should talk to them about improving their mods. I think that Xmod2 will pave the way for how these mods OUGHT to be done. The old ways never worked, people need to learn from their mistakes and move on.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Jedi Academy Reloaded (admin mod for JA)