lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Has JA become boring, tired ?
Yes, I'm playing KOTOR till my mouse breaks ! 27 45.00%
No, my elite clan will own your lamer n00b bowing clan....what the hell is KOTOR......??? 30 50.00%
Bugger you all ! I PREFER GALAXIES !! 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Has JA become boring, tired ??
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-10-2003, 07:59 AM   #41
Tashiar
Lurker

I have played EQ for 4 years now, and very hardcore at that. Did the SWG beta and live version till I just couldt take how bad LA and SoE buchered that game. The only thing that saved me from those games was JA , I love it. Now I have KOTOR and have beaten it several times in a few different ways. Both JA and KOTOR plain rock for me and my ADD butt has yet to tire of either.

God how I wish LA had not forced SWG into a corner by basing it between EP4 and 5. That truly screwed them IMO ( and not having space ships , player cities and mounts at release , oh and the combat balance blows goat balls to) If they had put it say 3000yrs before EP1 like they did KOTOR they would have an open scripted game that they could have done anything with. Also they could have then made Jedi a pickable class and given everyone what they wanted the chance to be some kind of jedi in an EQ type game.

Shrug my dad always told me , wish in one hand poop in the other and see wich one gets full first.

Point being JA and KOTOR wont get old for me because im a Star wars fan who understands they are not just eye candy but damn fine games.

Tashiar Invictusmorbious
Dark Prince of Perversion
Five Rings

Vinny DaChin
The best looking chin in Da galaxy
JA,KOTOR,SWG
Tashiar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #42
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Tashiar
Point being JA and KOTOR wont get old for me because im a Star wars fan who understands they are not just eye candy but damn fine games.
All I can say is I agree
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2003, 09:22 PM   #43
Syzerian
Rookie

i still play JA heeps
im a bit reluctant to get KOTOR tho since it looks a bit like dungeon siege game play and that get really boring

click they attack u get to watch click they move there... blah
and no mp!?!?!?!? thats sad
i need a demo!

Syzerian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #44
SpecialForces

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsion
You're all toturing me! I can't get KOTOR until christmas. Bioware make the best rpg's and now its Star Wars....

If I had to decide between the two now, I would get KOTOR. But JA is still fun, and easy to edit. Thats the big downside of KOTOR, no editing stuff.
omg, I have to get a 4.0 in school and wait untill xmas.
SpecialForces is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2003, 02:36 AM   #45
Syzerian
Rookie

ok well i just downloaded a movie of the saber combat
IT RULES!
i was wrong about that dungeon siege stuff but it is turn based but u dont even notice it

looks like a really cool game im gonna get it for christmas

Syzerian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2003, 11:28 PM   #46
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Is it just me or do other people find KOTOR to have the Sims effect, heaps of fun the first few hours to utter repetitiveness? :/
Also, I'm not bored with JA, I find it quite refreshing to play, jack off, play for an hour, jack off, play for half an hour, jackoff, play for an hour

_

Nah, it's good stuff, just too many people take games too seriously, you have to accept that a few people are always going to be better than you or there will be an unjust at some point
You don't buy games for misery. (well amybe you do but i don't)
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #47
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Unhappy

What is your obsessing with jacking off and gaming?

Then again, don't answer that... I don't want to know.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #48
BJP3E

I love it still

I may not play the SP game but I am goofing around with the spawn code like no tomorrow. I love making little saber and gun fights to watch its awesome to me.

heck right now I am using conquest of byss for a massive fire fight between rebels and STs The rebels win every fricken time even with the STs out numbering them 2:1. I swear those Sts will win one day LOL

BJP3E "Life will find a way."
BJP3E is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 02:50 AM   #49
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Ode to Special Forces :

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
What is your obsessing with jacking off and gaming?

Then again, don't answer that... I don't want to know.
exactly. we DONT want to know

--------

SPECIAL FORCES I feel so sorry for you man ! I mean not all youngsters have the privelege of playing games pc games on a good system(I never did until I was 19 or so) but to have to play second fiddle to the preening of a horse, as you do, must be very frustrating....... to help you feel better, I have composed this :

"Neeeeiggghh !! BANG ! BANG ! /Reload Shotgun noise/ BANG ! BANG ! Thump ! /Sound of match lighting/ .....Sizzle..... Sizzle....."

dude, if you were in Australia I'd loan you my JA discs for as long as you needed em, ever since I got KOTOR I really dont use them much.......

MTFBWYA

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 04:43 AM   #50
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

JA is just getting so old it just feels like something is missing it doesn't seem to have the same feel as the first day I opened the box.

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 04:55 AM   #51
Jedi Luke
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkLord60
JA is just getting so old it just feels like something is missing it doesn't seem to have the same feel as the first day I opened the box.
Yeah, same here. However, what is keeping me going with Jedi Academy and I have great fun is the Dark Forces MOD. The Dark Forces MOD experience is like playing a whole brand new game. That's what I DO enjoy about JKA.

Dark Forces MOD for Jedi Academy

Mapper, Icarus Scripter

Reborn Ancient Jedi TC Mod

Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------
Sig made by Roxstar! AWESOME gif sig made by IG-64! Thanks dudes, you rock!
Jedi Luke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 AM   #52
Ham Yoyo

I haven't got bored with JA. I haven't even started playing it yet. I bought it when it came out for the PC and have only played the first 3 levels. I've been trying to finish up other games that I have. But I know when I start on JA I'll have a great time.

My dream, to watch Imperial ships explode in my gunsights.
Ham Yoyo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #53
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally posted by Ham Yoyo
......I haven't got bored with JA...... I haven't even started playing it yet..........
thats one way to stop JA getting boring, dont play it much.....!!!!

Im *still* playing EF2 SP, I think I'll do one level a month Its not that im a huge EF fan and want to prolong the fun, its just a time thing.....

MTFBWYA

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 PM   #54
Lightning

i'm not bored of JA yet. but i haven't played KOTOR yet to bad there isn't a demo of the game will there be one?
Lightning is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #55
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Mr Astrotoy is so in love with Kotor that he spends all his time on Jedi Academy's forums.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 01:18 PM   #56
Solo4114

For me, I got tired of JK2, which means I've gotten tired of JA without ever really playing it that much.

The new sabre stances are interesting at first, but lack something. Sabre fighting in general lacks something in these games, though, so that's no big shocker.

The SP game I still haven't finished and just don't feel that interested in. It's got some cool moments, but it all just has that "It's all been done" feeling. I guess when you started on FPS games with Wolfenstein 3D and played 'em pretty much through 'til now, a lot of it really HAS been done before.

The MP gaming just never did much for me. Siege mode is about the only mod I'd want to play, but when I tried playing it it just felt the same as everything else: dull.

It may also be the twitchy Q3-influenced pace that gets to me too. It just gets really really old after a while. For FPSes I prefer playing BF1942 these days for MP. I don't really have an SP game for that.

As for my SW fix, I've been getting that from Galaxies, though there are some serious problems with that game too that I don't see going away any time soon.

Maybe I'll pick up KOTOR to see how good it is. I've heard great things about it, but I haven't seen much else out there that's been catching my attention gaming-wise.
Solo4114 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2003, 01:59 AM   #57
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
Mr Astrotoy is so in love with Kotor that he spends all his time on Jedi Academy's forums.
strange eh ? I just want to share the joy with fellow SW gamers, in particular those who enjoyed the SP storyline/EU elements of JA, and were "wishing for something more"....KOTOR can give you that fix......'

speaking of strange...arent you that guy that likes to jack off between games of JA.....

MTFBWYA

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 12-15-2003 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #58
Burrie

In my opinion, Jedi Academy has not even come close to getting old... (strange enough, neither has Dark Forces, Jedi Knight or Jedi Outcastfor me) The thing is, this game is just good, old, plain FUN. For me, this is one of those games that I can simply boot, ignite my saber, and start hacking and slashing away without too much consequences of your actions.

Plus, the character customisation does add alot to the game, I think. Just having the ability to decide what your character will look like, what kind of hilt he'll have as a saber, which color, and what sort of fighting style he'll adopt is just a fun addition which breathes alot of life into the game. I know, I know, when it comes to the story and such, there is no change, but the gameplay does change. When playing as a Light Side Force User, I find myself staying more away from the Enemy and utilising the Force to defend myself, whilst as a Dark Side Force User, I find myself wading straight into the enemies, utilising the Force to crush and end their pathetic little lives(without anyone shouting "OMG L1TENING WH0RE"). The game just continues to be fun as I find new ways of disposing my enemies.

So, in conclusion, no, I don't think that Jedi Academy has grown old and tired. Granted, with the release of Knights of the Old Republic, I have been focusing most of my attention to that game, but if I'm in for a fun, entertaining shooter, I'll still have Jedi Academy installed on my hard disk.
Burrie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #59
InfErnO

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
If you want to talk about mediocre or bad SW games, don't forget Jedi Power Battles and Obi-Wan. ; p
Or Rebel Assault, lol.

Gnaa!
InfErnO is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #60
Rumor
caffeine has go power!

i could never get past the canyon w/ my t16 due to some screwed up error. =/ wtf that was like the first level.

ra2 ruled tho.

Rumor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #61
Solo4114

The T16 canyon level was pretty tough alright. You had to have a fast CD-Rom (I had a 2x by the time I got the game) to do it, and a fast enough computer to maneuver, or else you'd end up clipping the walls without even knowning it. That was a tough first level, though.

Probably the hardest level for me, though, was the final Death Star trench run.

My favorite level was the Hoth one, but even so, no game has EVER managed to reproduce what I'd want to do in that battle.

Never played RA2. Force Commander sucked, though. Rebellion was ok, but was critically panned. I think it was just a bit too in-depth for most people (since most were playing Master of Orion 1 when that game was out), and in a weird way. The interface wasn't the best, either.

Really, I've found that most Star Wars games in the late 90s were pretty much crap, with the exception of the JK games and the X-wing/Tie Fighter series. Hell, even the straight-out-of-the-box X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter was pretty lame. It wasn't until Balance of Power came out that the game became any fun for me in MP. But that was because you could play through the entire campaign WITH your buddies, which I really enjoyed.

Anyway, for me, JA has been tired since I opened the box. There are some obvious cool aspects to it, but like a new mod or map, they get old for me too quickly which leaves me looking at the same old problems I have with the underlying game mechanics. Sabre combat is too hectic and spammish, lacks any kind of real finesse or control, and is too flashy for my tastes. It still just feels like button mashing to me, and the attacks and such (especially red stance) just frustrate me. They're either too weak in both appearance and effect (blue stance) or too slow (red stance). Or they're ineffective in practice (dual sabres) or unpredictable for me (double-bladed sabre). The katas are all pretty much pointless except as finishing moves, which would be perfectly cool if the normal attacks didn't feel so random to me.

The game just has a real "ho hum" feeling to it for me, which was about how I felt by the time I played MOTS when it came out. Pretty much all of the JK games have had fun aspects but always seemed like wasted opportunities to me. With the original games, I could accept that as limitations of the technology. I'm less forgiving nowadays. Maybe it's the animations, maybe it's that an FPS engine just isn't (or at least hasn't) been made that can do justice to melee combat, or maybe it's something else that I just can't put my finger on, but so much of the combat just seems clumsy and unsophisticated. It feels like rock paper scissors with the differences being really exagerrated in each of the stances.

Blue is ridiculously fast, but very weak and seems rather limited in the number of moves you can really do. Red is ridiculously SLOW though incredibly strong, and while it may have more moves than blue, you can only chain about two of them. The slow speed makes it useless to me, though. Yellow is a jack of all trades, but truly a master of none. And the actual implementation of the stances has never made me feel that the sabre, at least in these games, is an "elegant weapon."

What I'd really like to see is a Clone Wars game where you get to adopt one or more of the seven lightsabre forms (rather than stances) and pick the style which best suits your approach. Try a Google search for "seven forms of lightsaber combat", or check out http://swg.stratics.com/content/game...r_combat.shtml

Assuming you could make the moves seem cinematic and could balance the effects of the various forms, you could have a pretty cool game.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:48 PM   #62
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Nothing will beat the old vector graphics X-Wing arcade game.

If I ever find a working cabinet I'm buying it for my basement...
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2003, 08:07 PM   #63
Solo4114

Yeah, that WAS a pretty cool one. I liked the sequel games too. You can always download the ROMs, you know. Get a copy of MAME and play 'em that way. What I really want to do is build my own cabinet with a computer inside that basically has an OS, MAME, and every cool arcade game EVER.

Anyway, back on topic, JA just doesn't do a ton for me anymore. I'll come back to it off and on, but I never stick with it for extended periods of time. Maybe I will later, but I kind of doubt it. It just lacks something for me.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Has JA become boring, tired ??