lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Client-side only version of Basic
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
Marker0077

Client-side only version of Basic

There's some cool stuff in Basic that are client-side only. With Basic being a client & server-side mod, it needs to be in a custom folder. Stuff like the CPC RGB slider & whatnot do not need to be in a custom folder, so I think that the client-side only stuff in Basic should go in a seperate client-side only version.

This would be a nice way to have some OJP features on non-OJP servers.

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies
Cool Mods for Medal of Honor
Cool Mods for the Jedi Knight Series
Don't want to wait for Star Wars 3? Well here ya go!

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)
Obi-wannabe (practice name)
Bar Upstairs from AA Building (drinking name)

Contact Info
AOL, Yahoo, Jabber, & IRC (QuakeNet): Marker0077
Cool Mods E-Mail: MoH @ Cool-Mods.com or JK @ Cool-Mods.com
E-Mail & MSN IM: Marker0077 @ Hotmail.com (*** anywhere in subject or won't get email)
Marker0077 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I tried messing with that but unfortunately that would require a lot of extra work and only work on unpure servers.

Just get people to use OJP Basic, it's the whole point of that distro!

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
Marker0077

Most of the mods in Cool Mods are client side only. This will all be via an installer so if people choose that the computer that they are installing it on is a server only computer, it will install all mods to the servers "base" directory specifically for these "pure" servers. It would be no different with this.

I'm doing a linux version as well except that will be just a zip & not the installer.

Now if you don't want to do that, I'll see what I can do about doing it myself.

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)

Contact Info
E-Mail & MSN IM: Marker0077 @ Hotmail.com (*** anywhere in subject or won't get email)
Old 12-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #4
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Like I stated before, it doesn't work right unless you're on unpure servers. The pure server stuff extends to menu files.

It might be possible to set it up so that players only have to d/l the clientside to run on Basic/Enhanced servers but I don't see it happening because the difference between the server side stuff and the client side is only one file. It's probably not worth the effort.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2003, 02:52 AM   #5
Marker0077

Quote:
Originally posted by razorace
Like I stated before, it doesn't work right unless you're on unpure servers. The pure server stuff extends to menu files.
If this mod was in the pure servers "base" folder, it would work fine. This is where I was going with having the installer doing a "server only" type of installation with CM.
Quote:
Originally posted by razorace
It might be possible to set it up so that players only have to d/l the clientside to run on Basic/Enhanced servers but I don't see it happening because the difference between the server side stuff and the client side is only one file. It's probably not worth the effort.
Well, the existing Basic should be in a custom folder, as well as the Enhanced, & those files would be downloadable if the server & client both have downloads enabled but that's not what I'm talking about doing. I'm thinking about having a these pure servers have this mod in their "base" folder without it downloading to the client even if the server & client are both set to on (like most weapon mods work). This way, if the client does have the mod then they can use it but nothing is forced on anyone. I realize that you can enable/disable downloading but it's a hassle to deal with. Client side stuff like the CPC RGB slider is cool & since I haven't throughly checked out Basic yet, I can't really list any others.

The point is I'm sure there are a variety of client only stuff that people can use. I realize that this would not be supported via pure servers, however, if the pure server supports Cool Mods, then it will support this as well (if it is added).

Anyways, I'll deal with it & then I'll have you look it over if you have time.

Cool Links
Star Wars Funnies

In-Game Names
Marker0077 (normal name)

Contact Info
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Open Jedi Project (OJP) > Client-side only version of Basic