lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Reskinning possible!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #41
eiz
Rookie

Now that we're back...

Last week I started working on a TPC to TGA converter. I've got an initial version for testing here ( source ). There's at least one texture type that is not properly handled, but the DXT1, RGBA and DXT5 textures work alright, I think.
eiz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #42
Kitty Kitty

First off, Hi there.

Been lurking a little while, and slowly learning how to do some tinkering with scripting and whatnot as I follow along with various threads and whatnot.. This topic holds considerable interest for me, as I've always enjoyed messing with skins and models for various games, though my knowledge of format conversions and extraction and decompiling and filtering etc of various files is very low.

Sooo.. First, the noobish question...
Is there a way to actually extract the models as of yet? (and get them into a format which can be edited by any of the various programs for the purpose?)

And now my (probably noobish) attempt at helping with this texture thing.. I see a lot of conversation about formats and headers and the like, and while messing around with various files, I came across this little bit of a 2da. (File is texpacks.2da)

Quote:
2DA V2.0

desc texture gui strrefname dynmemratio mem
0 32MB_32BIT swpc_tex_tpc swpc_tex_gui 48003 0.750 31457280
1 64MB_32BIT swpc_tex_tpb swpc_tex_gui 48004 0.750 62900000
2 128MB_32BIT swpc_tex_tpa swpc_tex_gui 48005 0.750 134217728
Anyways... wondered if any of that is remotely helpful for you gurus who are/were trying to get these things into TGA format and the like.

Keep up the good work in any case.

-Kitty

Kitty Kitty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #43
eiz
Rookie

Yes, the game's textures are stored at 3 resolutions for video cards with different amounts of VRAM. You can choose which one you want in the advanced graphics settings, IIRC.

As for models, not as far as I know but I'm getting started on that today, since tpc2tga is largely working =)
eiz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2004, 11:25 PM   #44
dimitrije
Rookie

it finaly works!

thanks guys for the tool.by the way does anyone know which are the player skins,i tried a bunch of them but i cant find a player skins.help!
dimitrije is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 AM   #45
dimitrije
Rookie

nevermind that i found it but does anyone know how to get to the bumpmaps?
dimitrije is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM   #46
eidospsogos
Veteran

okay, not to sound stupid, though i do quite often and probably will again, but this looks like a dos based program, as everytime i try to run it, a little dos window pops up and goes away almost immediately. so, someone refresh my memory on how to use converter programs like this. because i sure as hell seem to have forgotten.
eidospsogos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 02:53 AM   #47
Kitty Kitty

Put the exe in the same folder as the files you've extracted that you're going to want to convert.

Then either write a batch file to do them all one after another, or just open a command prompt (start menu, run, "command") and change to that folder with the CD command (remember that for a folder name longer than 8 characters you have to type the first 6 letters and ~1)

So like for me it's like this (enter at the end of each line obviously)
D:
CD Games\LucasA~1\SWKotOR\Override

Anyways, then the command line is simply tpc2tga.exe <infile_name> <outfile_name>

Wise to name the TGA the exact same name, just with the new extention so you can keep them straight unless you're also going to be doing some custom work in the data to point it to new file names for some reason.

Hope it helps.
-Kitty

Old 01-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #48
Hell Kitty

How do you write a batch file to do them all at once? That would be like heaven...

And does anyone know where the textures for all the different armours are?

Hiss!
Hell Kitty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #49
Kitty Kitty

See my most recent post in this topic. Explains how I did the batch, as well as where the files are located.

Clicky clicky

-Kitty

Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #50
Hell Kitty

Yeah, I just noticed that. I figured out how to make a batch file, but i don't have a word processor with macros.

Hiss!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:38 AM   #51
Hell Kitty

I downloaded a free word processor and figured it all out, so now I have all the textures converted.

Hiss!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #52
Kitty Kitty

If you do an Export All from the swpc_tex_tpa.erf file and then put all those files, the tpc2tga.exe file and THIS FILE into the same folder someplace (I use a new folder under KotOR called "working" since it won't interfere with the game, but Override would work if you really want to put them all there) and try running that batch file I just linked.

It should work. Did for me. Though be advised to wait till the window closes before you go messing around with the files further. It'll take a while on slower machines.. Even on my P4 2.53 with 1 gig of PC2700 DDR it wasn't exactly "quick". When you're shelling out over 3000 batch commands PLUS the time it actually takes each file to convert, it takes a little bit.

Anyways.. once you've got them in TGA format, you can delete the old files (ones without any extentions) if you want. Since once you edit a TGA, you just save it and drop it into Override to reskin something so the originals aren't much use since there's no TPC editor anyways that I know of =)

Well.. hope it's helpful.

*edit* Well, glad you got it worked out. I'll leave this one linked just in case someone else wants to batch convert the things. If the instructions are followed, it should work for anyone.
*/edit*

-Kitty

Old 01-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #53
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
Remember the files that come out in shades of purple?

Ever notice that if there's a file lilke C_Hutt01.tpc, you'll also find a C_Hutt01b.tpc?

I think those are bump maps; at least they look like ones I have seen for other apps. If you open one in Photoshop and change it to grayscale it becomes more obvious.

<edit> In fact, if you look at one of these tpc files in the hex viewer, you'll see the text "isbumpmap 1" and "bumpscaling 1"</edit>

Fred

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 01-23-2004 at 04:15 AM.
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Reskinning possible!