lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-07-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics

You may already know but for those who don't

Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics
Tue, Jan 06, 04 02:08:12 AM EST

Rob sends us this interesting note:
A little something I noticed today while browsing in Barnes & Noble today might be of some interest to other Star Wars fans. It's not much, but in Robert J. Emery's The Directors: Take 4, there is a chapter dedicated to George Lucas and his work. In it, George Lucas discusses his revisions to the Classic Trilogy that we are all familiar with in the Special Editions. However, at the end of that section, Lucas mentions that when the Classic Trilogy is released on DVD he will finally be able to release the films in the way he had originally intended.
He doesn't come out and say it directly, but I think it is fairly safe to assume that he intends to make additional changes to the Classic Trilogy. Either way, there are some good things in this book would recommend the series to any interested in filmmaking.

Sure sounds like it to us as well

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Neverhoodian
If I may make a point...

All I'll say is he'd better not try to change the Classic Trilogy too much. I've always preferred the old shot of how Han shoots first and kills Greedo in ANH. Moreover, I've always liked the "Yub Yub" song with the choir over the purely instrumental one at the end of ROTJ. If he screws up any more scenes like that, I'm going to be a bit ticked off.

Dark Forces Total Conversion-http://darkforces.jediknight.net
Relive the classic that started it all!
Open Jedi Project-http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisp...s=&forumid=542
Working to expand the JA experience!
Neverhoodian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Jedi Luke
Veteran

I'll be happy as long as we don't see Jar Jar Binks .

Dark Forces MOD for Jedi Academy

Mapper, Icarus Scripter

Reborn Ancient Jedi TC Mod

Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------
Sig made by Roxstar! AWESOME gif sig made by IG-64! Thanks dudes, you rock!
Jedi Luke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Luke
Amen to that lol

Old 01-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper

Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I'ld suffice for a scene of his grave

I don't mind the changes, since I have oth regular and SE editions of the movies.

BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 03:49 AM   #6
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Quote:
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
All I'll say is he'd better not try to change the Classic Trilogy too much. I've always preferred the old shot of how Han shoots first and kills Greedo in ANH. Moreover, I've always liked the "Yub Yub" song with the choir over the purely instrumental one at the end of ROTJ. If he screws up any more scenes like that, I'm going to be a bit ticked off.
Yeah same here, Han was more of a fun character when you were not too sure of where his loyalties were. By the time ROTJ came out, he just has his head up Leia's arse the whole time. :/
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 04:03 AM   #7
Kylilin
Wiseass

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
I noticed this on theforce.net a little while ago. It seems odd to me that George Lucas would want to change the films even further. I liked what was done with the special editions, but my think is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as there is some way to watch the movies as they were originally released, it should be fine.

"Who is splendid among men, who is glorious among heroes?"
--excerpt from Gilgamesh
Kylilin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
C Shutt
My noze comes off

I'd object to this news, but it'd be impossible for Lucas to ruin the films more thoroughly than he already did with the 1997 "Special Editions". I've long since given up hope that Lucas would come to his senses and release the films in their original form, so I no longer care what changes Lucas wants to make. The films are completely unwatchable at this point, anyway.
C Shutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Crow_Nest
Forum Spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Luke
Yeah i hate em, hes sooooo annoying. That is one of the reasons why ep1 was sucky

Xbox 360 Gamertag: cr0wnes7
Crow_Nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I'm just glad GL has finally confirmed they will be coming to DVD. I was beginning to doubt he ever would. I wonder if they will be released as just the classic trilogy or a 6 DVD box set. I'm holding out for the 6.

As for the changes, let's just hope he doesn't do anything too drastic again.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Re: Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkLord60
However, at the end of that section, Lucas mentions that when the Classic Trilogy is released on DVD he will finally be able to release the films in the way he had originally intended.
I wouldn't read too much into that statement yet.
He could mean that finally people will be able to see and hear the movies in a high-def digital format as he always intended for them to be seen. Remember, he has been pushing formats such as digital sound and picture and THX standards for years because he once saw one of his films in a theater and was horrified by the quality of the print and the sound in the theater. He has said that he has held off from DVD with the older movies until he was sure that DVD would be the final format, and that they could be remastered to that format to meet his standards.
It doesn't nessisarily mean he's going to make any more sweeping changes to the films themselves. As far as I know he has said that after the Special Editions he was totally done with them. But it wouldn't really surprise me if he does make a few more changes either.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
BawBag™

I would like to think there will be an option in the DVD to watch the movie(s) either with new and added material or unaltered.
I myself have the original trilogy.
Much better IMO.
BawBag™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #13
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
If rumours are correct, one thing I wouldnt mind seeing is the extended alderaan sequence, replete with jimmy smits as Bail Organa...... There are numerous books on the 'unfinished and or deleted sequences' of Star Wars OT, Im sure some of these may make it back to the DVD version
eg.
*Tosche Station with Camie and Fixer
*Luke meeting Biggs on Tatooine
*Closer views of 3po driving the speeder through canyons on Tatooine when searching for r2,
*More stuff in Mos Eisley, including the babe sitting on Hans lap before he's bothered by Greedo etc etc

MTFBWYA

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #14
Crazy_dog no.3
Banned

I don't know why u guys hate the Special Editions so much. Though I have never seen the original films (which could be a drawback to my arguement), what would u guys really prefer:
- Great story, characters and locations but cheesy 70's-80's SFX
- The same great story, characters and locations but better SFX.

Besides small things like "Han shoots first" (which I will never understand) , what's there not to like.

I think the only time in my life were I didn't like a Special Edition or director's cut was Alien: Director's Cut, which had a scene that really slowed down a few scenes that should be very intense.

Quentin Tarantino must direct the next James Bond film.
click here to sign the petition
Crazy_dog no.3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
BawBag™

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
but cheesy 70's-80's SFX
Ouch.
Although I will probably be shot down here, I found the older effects better than the special edition effects. Meh. Just more "beleivable".
Old 01-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #16
•-BLaCKouT-•
Clone Brutality

Quote:
Though I have never seen the original films
Do you mean you've never seen Star Wars, Empire and Jedi? Or you've just never seen the original versions? (if it's the first then I'll just shake my head in disbelief).

Either way, I can't recommend them enough.
...obviously (this is a SW based board after all )

So yeah: GO WATCH STAR WARS Chances are that you local video store has a pre-spec-ed verson in, they were releasing them until 1997.

B.

Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. ULCER are from Margate...
•-BLaCKouT-• is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #17
The_One
The Dude Abides

I am still a proud owner of my original VHS copies. There was a campaign to have the original versions on DVD as well as the Special Editions - maybe similar to the Alien "Quadrilogy" set. I think the originals are far superior to the SE's. I wish Lucas would stop f**king with what is already a brilliant trilogy, and then he should be shot for making the prequels.

Poor Lucas, maybe one day I'll get knocked on the head and forget everything about Star Wars apart from the original Original Trilogy

Now that would be a good feeling

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #18
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
They'll be replacing all lightsabers with nerfbats, since it's too "violent and mean" like the han shooting greedo part.

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #19
Crazy_dog no.3
Banned

I've seen Star Wars. What I mean is I've only seen the Special Editions because I'm only in my late teens so I wasn't around when the original versions of them were released.

Bawbag- Well I'll never understand that.

Quentin Tarantino must direct the next James Bond film.
click here to sign the petition
Crazy_dog no.3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2004, 08:36 PM   #20
manoman81
Forumite

I remember when NBC (I think) would show the original Triology on TV all of the time. I wish I could find the pre-spec ed triology somewhere. While I don't mind the spec ed, the original was a little bit better.
manoman81 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 PM   #21
BawBag™

Quote:
I've seen Star Wars. What I mean is I've only seen the Special Editions because I'm only in my late teens so I wasn't around when the original versions of them were released.

Bawbag- Well I'll never understand that.
I wasn't in existence around the time of the OT either dude
But it doesn't take a genius to realise they are brilliant films without the added gunk.

And fair point. To each their own I guess =/
Old 01-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #22
TheJackal
Administrator Emiritus

You know what i hate about the Special Editions?

How DAMN UGLY Jabba looks! I mean.. WHAT THE HELL!

Industrial Light and Magic are good at 3d effects, but they need to stay away at organic effects cause they just plain SUCK!

TheJackal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 AM   #23
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJackal
You know what i hate about the Special Editions?

How DAMN UGLY Jabba looks! I mean.. WHAT THE HELL!

Industrial Light and Magic are good at 3d effects, but they need to stay away at organic effects cause they just plain SUCK!
Hey you gotta admit though, the Jabba in Ep1 looked much better, they were just getting used to the art of animating cgi characters I guess. For most I found SW CGI characters believeable enough. Yoda was undoubetdly the best...amazing work

MTFBWYA

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 04:33 AM   #24
TheJackal
Administrator Emiritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Hey you gotta admit though, the Jabba in Ep1 looked much better, they were just getting used to the art of animating cgi characters I guess. For most I found SW CGI characters believeable enough. Yoda was undoubetdly the best...amazing work

MTFBWYA
haha, not even in Ep1. , some improvement but i didnt like it. you lost his slime feel, the darkness of his skin. the texture. you can fake all you want, the giant puppet controlled by 3 guys covered in wierd goo will never be beated by some cheap animation trick lucas pulled out of his scrotum.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #25
The Count
Banned

I wouldn't mind what he does with the trilogy as long as all 3? versions come out.
The Count is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #26
toms
v0.9

Quote:
Originally posted by BawBag™
Ouch.
Although I will probably be shot down here, I found the older effects better than the special edition effects. Meh. Just more "beleivable".
damn right. Computer effects are only just getting to the stage they look believable... but almost any CGi done in the last five years has dated horendously. If you watch the special editions now the new cgi stuff looks sooooo fake, but the model stuff has held up a lot better. If anything, putting the CGi side by side with the models makes NEITHER look good as the contrast highlights the flaws with both methods.

i think the first link in this thread has a link to reported changes to the OT on dvd:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...hlight=trilogy

and i give my ideal wishlist for the dvds in this thread:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...ght=quadrilogy
which is basically an Alien Quadrilogy style 7 disc box set with both the original (slightly touched up) versions and the new "special" versions.

Not that i really want the special ones, but this is the on;y way i can see GL ever releasing them.

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #27
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
I’m afraid I don’t think the original original trilogy will ever be released on DVD. I’m pretty sure that they no longer exist. I remember in the interviews when the special editions came out they said the original film reels were getting so old and worn out that there were on the verge of wasting away. So they restored it and put in GL’s new stuff and released it as the special editions.
so when GL says he wont be releasing the original OT on DVD to me says they wont because they can't, they no longer have the original reels with the pre-S.E films anymore.

people who only want the pre-SE OT on DVD should just get the VCD -> DVD pirates that you can get off ebay. My friend has them and they’re quite good quality
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 PM   #28
TheJackal
Administrator Emiritus

I think it would be better if you HAD the option as to which one you want to watch.

Original Version (sure sound effects and some screen effects can be enhanced)

Extended Special Version. (the one with the stupid Boba and Jabba crapola all over it)

That would be the best in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #29
BawBag™

Quote:
Originally posted by Siv
I’m afraid I don’t think the original original trilogy will ever be released on DVD. I’m pretty sure that they no longer exist.
*Makes sweet love to box-set*
I could be sitting on a small fortune in years to come...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #30
The Cheat
6 Foot Tall Bunny Rabbit

the problem with having the option of watching either version is that it would take up to much space

i think with films like terminator 2 or alien the option exists because they can insert the additional scenes in the existing film.

that would be difficult with star wars though because every shot has something added to it so it would be like having 2 films on one dvd which takes up way too much space

it would probably be more beneficial to have each version on a separate dvd

all i really want is widescreen, never seen them in widescreen so i cant wait for that
The Cheat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 AM   #31
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
the lastest from www.theforce.net

i've heard this rumour before

Quote:
In November 2004 we'll see the Original Trilogy on DVD! There probably won't be any added scenes, simply the 3 Special Edition films along with with a bonus 4th disk. Basically they're going to take the Indy trilogy to use as a model
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #32
toms
v0.9

the indy trilogy rocks, but that is cos the used the original films rather than adding in extra CGI boulders or something, the only thing they changed was using computers to take out a reflection in the snake pit scene.

The alien quadrilogy would make a better template though. That has 2 dvds per film (one with the original verson and one with a "special edition" version. Then there is an extras disk as well.

You definately couldn't get boh versions onto one disc, but 2 discs per film plus an extras disk doesn't sound too much to ask.

Tom

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #33
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

Theres no doubt this willk happen its a definate.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:40 PM   #34
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Oh god, the only changes there should be better sound, video, and maybe a little of editing... please no extra scenes made completely by computer, oh no! oh yay!

TiE

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2004, 10:46 PM   #35
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

This is what IGN just posted not to long ago.

The Star Wars Trilogy
Publisher: Fox/LucasFilm
Publication Date: September is the rumored month

The Pitch: Finally, after a long, long time…

Why it's Going to Rock: After a lot of haggling, nagging, haranguing and pestering, George Lucas seems to have finally gotten the message. The original word was he would wait to do the original trilogy after the third film was released, which is in 2005. No one wanted to wait that long, and apparently, neither did Lucas.

These three films won't be the originals we saw in theaters in 1977, 1980 and 1983. Nor will they be the Special Editions released in 1997, which featured the hated scene with Greedo shooting Han Solo first. Supposedly this new version will have Han shooting first again, but a whole bunch of new effects, including the light saber fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. We shall see, George, we shall see.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #36
Tyler_Durden

From what i've heard at aintitcoolnews.com months ago was that george went back and changed the saber effects and sounds in a new hope to look better as they did in the prequels, especially the part where luke shoots the door from where vader killed obiwan where vader is walking towards them. I also heard some rumblings that they were gonna go back and redo the duel between obiwan and vader to stand up more to the prequel duels. How they're gonna do that, i don't know, cgi? i also heard that han once again shoots first, but it's all a rumor. I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see.........
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #37
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

I seriously doubt the use CGI It would take months that he doesnt have besides hes busy with EPIII.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #38
Joe©

I have the first three movies (not S.E.) on VHS and every time I watch'em I'm glad they don't have all that crap that EI and II had. Clones is like dryrot it screws everything up, and I still have not bought it and most likey wont. by the way some one said they were in there late teens so they had not seen the OT?? what the hell ! I'm in that same age braket and have ben watching them since I was four!!
Joe© is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #39
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I say, It's his creation, so slag off.

But I do prefer the originals, and not the special edition... except the end in RoTJ, that was pretty bad ass.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #40
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

Yeah seeing Coruscant was pretty cool. with the statue of emporer Palpitine falling over ahhh.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Lucas Confirms DVD Changes to Classics