lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #641
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
Feature question

Ok, I've been thinking about how to integrate the Project Manager function and the ERF Builder. The PM function uses the ERF builder behind the scenes to generate the .MOD file(s) in a project.

Would anyone prefer to have it so that you could set the type of output file each 'module' generates? For example, when you add a new Module to the project, you could set the type to .MOD or .ERF, etc. You could also change it via a Module Properties screen after the fact.

The only problem I have with it is from a philisophical point of view. The heading is called Modules, though not all of the files produced would be .MOD files in type. Yes, I know this is being really fussy, but that's how I am. Any ideas? Maybe change the name to Archives or Packages, since this is what they are?

Let me know folks....

Kotor Tool Developer
http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Visit the Kotor Tool Forum
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #642
envida
Rookie

Concerning the Kotor Tool and KotorII:TSL

When I push the button for editing the inventory of an .utp file I get an unhandled exception saying:

"Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Paramater name:index."

I get this for all .upt files both those that are already in the game and those I have made myself.

I know TSL isnt released yet for pc but thought I would let know....
envida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #643
Pontifice
Rookie

Try renaming all directories without xbox ( i have the ____xbox directories with and without "xbox" and it works)
Pontifice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #644
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Re: Feature question

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
Ok, I've been thinking about how to integrate the Project Manager function and the ERF Builder. The PM function uses the ERF builder behind the scenes to generate the .MOD file(s) in a project.

Would anyone prefer to have it so that you could set the type of output file each 'module' generates? For example, when you add a new Module to the project, you could set the type to .MOD or .ERF, etc. You could also change it via a Module Properties screen after the fact.

The only problem I have with it is from a philisophical point of view. The heading is called Modules, though not all of the files produced would be .MOD files in type. Yes, I know this is being really fussy, but that's how I am. Any ideas? Maybe change the name to Archives or Packages, since this is what they are?

Let me know folks....
I think it's a great idea Fred, and I would vote for "Packages". Hopefully I'll be delving into a deeper modding mindset after TSL, so this would definitely help people like me who are going to be getting their feet wet for the first time. Though since I'm not a veteran in the matter, better input could probably be given as to if this would be 'practical'...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 05:09 AM   #645
Darth333
Administraterror

I'd go with "Packages" or "Kotor File Packager"...or anything along those lines I think it's descriptive.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 05:14 AM   #646
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
"PacKotOR"
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #647
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
"PacKotOR"
Or KOTORPack

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #648
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Ha ha! Many good suggestions for a tool name, but I was really looking for what I should call the tree node and folder where modules in the Project Manager are currently placed after packaging.

Since the current implementation only makes .MOD-style files, I called it 'Modules'. The version I am working on now will let you set the type of output file for each 'package' of files; .MOD, .ERF, usw.

I have decided to use 'packages' for now. Watch for a new version of Kotor Tool soon. Unless I get K2:TSL

Kotor Tool Developer

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 02-09-2005 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #649
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Ha ha! Many good suggestions for a tool name, but I was really looking for what I should call the tree node and folder where modules in the Project Manager are currently placed after packaging.
Ha ha! Remember guys, you're talking to Fred Tetra the Integrator here, not tk102 the single-minded.

Fred if you find anything very strange about the structure of TSL vs. KotOR and have to make significant accommodations with KT, send me a PM. I'll do the same for you. Hopefully we can get all our tools in working order for TSL in a jiffy.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #650
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tk102
Ha ha! Remember guys, you're talking to Fred Tetra the Integrator here, not tk102 the single-minded.

Fred if you find anything very strange about the structure of TSL vs. KotOR and have to make significant accommodations with KT, send me a PM. I'll do the same for you. Hopefully we can get all our tools in working order for TSL in a jiffy.
Sure enough!

As soon as I can get a copy

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #651
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 AM   #652
Darth Stryke

Sooo....any new features for the tool for TSL or do you not know yet? I am not sure what I am anticipating more, getting TSL or getting the new KOTOR Tool for TSL

"Never argue with a fool, for he could be doing the same."
Darth Stryke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #653
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

I don't have a copy yet, so I haven't had a chance to look into it and see what I need to do or what I'd like to add.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #654
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Hmm. I tried to open TSL classpowergain.2da to give my chracter more force powers per level, but it seems to be different than the 1st KOTOR 2da. You can't do anything from that file. I'll have to figure out where to change that. I'll play through TSL first, but i want my next game to be a little different. I'll also make enemies stronger.

In any case. When can we expect Kotor tool for TLS Fred?

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #655
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
NM the previous post. I messed up something. It works fine now, though i still can't change npc's inventory for some reason. It gives me error.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #656
<|EJK|>Twingo
Rookie

well hoping you can make a new extractor tool for kotor 2.....i really need it.
<|EJK|>Twingo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 06:37 AM   #657
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo
well hoping you can make a new extractor tool for kotor 2.....i really need it.
Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #658
Xavier2
Forumite

Current Game: Mass Effect 2
Quote:
I have now modified the project manager so that you can now set the output type for each package individually. All of the package files are still written to the Modules folder, however, regardless of their type.

Is there any interest or utility in having the files be (optionally) split up by type?
Doing area mods with a lot of files often give me headaches on finding the ones i need to edit while testing. If it turns out to be a list with 40-50 files it's kind annoying. Although KT Project Manager organizes the files properly and it is fine, i believe that doing subfolders for each type of file (utc subfolder, .dlg subfolder, etc) in a mod, could help a lot.

And it is good to know KT works ok with TSL. As soon as i get mine i will try something.
Xavier2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #659
<|EJK|>Twingo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth333
Right now you can extract all the files you want with Kotor tool. Just make sure you set the paths to your Kotor2 directory correctly. You can also edit most of the files directly with Kotor tool. For the files you cannot edit with Kotor tool, just extract them and edit them with a GFF editor.
that i already know....the only problem i have is i cant put the .mdl and .mdx in one file (to .mdl)....i cant load it into max.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #660
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Kotor Tool uses a subset of CChargin's MDLOps code to extract the models from the game. The problem is that in Kotor 2, the model format has changed somewhat, which will necessitate a change in the converter code.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #661
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Kotor Tool uses a subset of CChargin's MDLOps code to extract the models from the game. The problem is that in Kotor 2, the model format has changed somewhat, which will necessitate a change in the converter code.
I don't have my copy of kotor tool in front of me right now but isn't there an option to turn off the mdlops features in kotor tool? If so then that should be pretty simple for extractions. I know I was planning to sit down and fire up my hex editor again, for some model files.

Also Fred might you be able to provide a feature much the same as tk102 did with KSE which is have KOTOR tool look for to seperate working directories for kotor 1 and TSL? And then have 2 expanded file tree's.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #662
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.

Actually, I am working on the implementation of Kotor II features.

Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 AM   #663
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Presently, I am planning on letting the user switch between working with KotOR I and II. There are simply too many dependencies in the treeview to make a second set of subtree nodes available right off. I want to get a version into folks' hands that is easier to use that at present, then worry about "extras".
That is completely understandable. I had to go through a lot of code to allow that to work correctly in KSE. However, FWIW Fred, the reason I decided to go the route I did, was because that's what I thought a master like yourself would do. (bow)

And how I envy the Unity of KotOR Tool -- especially the way a single Manage Paths menu applies to everything. (I've got my work cut out for myself for the next month...)

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #664
<|EJK|>Twingo
Rookie

Quote:
You can just click on the .mdl and .mdx files and click the "Extract file" button for each of them.
believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates
from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #665
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by <|EJK|>Twingo
believe me i work longer with this.....if i want the files in max i need 1 mdl file.....for that i need to ''extract'' the mdl and mdx from kotor tool to my desktop. then i use the program called ''extract0-2'' that program is putting the mdl and mdx together....to one single file (mdl) so i can use it in max.

small description

This is a script that will extract a mesh and uv coordinates
from .mdl and .mdx. The script will be output in ascii mdl.
Just double click on the .mdl file desired, check the options on the form that comes up and it will extract the file in a format that NWMax + 3DSMax can import. The model and all of the textures will be placed in the directory kotor tool install directory\working\Exported models. (if you picked "each model in its own directory, those directories will be placed in the working directory)

It is not necessary to use extract0-2 to do the conversion.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #666
<|EJK|>Twingo
Rookie

does that work with kotor 2 models
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #667
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
^^^^
No, <|EJK|>Twingo it is for KOTOR models only. TSL uses a different model format.
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth333
It is funny though in TSL I cannot find any .dlg files in any of the modules.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #668
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

They're in the ERF section...

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #669
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
They're in the ERF section...
I wonder who the klutz was at OE that put them there? I hope we can still pack them into .mod files like we used to...

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fred!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #670
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
^^^^
yeah funny thing that I was going through the modules folder and realized wow there are 3 erf files for each area. My words to myself were WTH. What's even harder is trying to make a guess at what each of the area's are by just there file name they are just number strings great for warp commands bad for trying to figure out which one you need.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #671
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHawke
I wonder who the klutz was at OE that put them there? I hope we can still pack them into .mod files like we used to...

And thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fred!
You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #672
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
You can put files in ERF,MOD,SAV and HAK archives; they all have exactly the same format; the only difference is the extension and that the three letter type appears in the file's header internally.

Now, as to whether you can make your own modules in one of these archives and have it work, I would expect so, based on past experience.
I've already made three modules for the easy swoop racing mods and it works fine

However, once packed as a .mod file, I had to use another utility to extract files from my custom modules as Kotor tool would not list the files starting with a number instead of a letter in the ERFs
Old 02-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #673
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
I have a question Fred. Will you make it possible to equip items and weapons on npc's with KT. Right now it gives me an error. That must be because KT doesn't recognise the new items.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #674
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Sorry, double post. Kept getting the "server is currently too busy message"

Old 02-16-2005, 06:12 AM   #675
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

When work is done on the next version, you should be able to do anything that the previous version allowed.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #676
Xcom
k_ai_master

Also a small request.

If it was mentioned, please ignore. Would it be possible to configure paths for two games (kotor and kotor2), so you can switch between the two without having to restart the tool?
Xcom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #677
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

The next version has the ability to maintain two sets of path information and also lets you work with both games at the same time.

When editor windows are opened for a given file, they also indicate which game they are from.

400th post

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #678
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Thank you Fred it is good to see that, that option will make it in there after all. Especially considering your earlier hesitation and troubles with that aspect. It is always good to see you looking out for us.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #679
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Thanks for the continued hard work Fred, I can't wait for the next release

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #680
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Yeah, thank you very much Fred. Without your KT many people would't bother moding KOTOR.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > KotOR Tool > Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Tags
kotor modding tool, kotor tool