lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #681
Xcom
k_ai_master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
The next version has the ability to maintain two sets of path information and also lets you work with both games at the same time.

When editor windows are opened for a given file, they also indicate which game they are from.
Excellent. Thank you!
Xcom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #682
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
Screenshot showing new tree layout and module description and location info (thanks helpers!).

Tree Structure

Here's one of the new path manager:

Path Manager

Kotor Tool Developer
http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Visit the Kotor Tool Forum
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #683
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Looks Great Fred, makes me wonder though... what were those whited-out buttons... hmmmm ... lol

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #684
Bimmerman

KOTOR Tool trouble

Hey- please ignore this if this question/problem has already been dealt with. When I try to use KOTOR tool for TSL, I get an error message saying that my "chitin.key file appers to be corrupt. You may want to reinstall KOTOR to fix this." Problem is: I have reinstalled it and gotten the same message, and the game runs fine, and KOTOR tool works on .2da's at least just fine. So I am wondering if this is just a bug in my version of Kotor tool(vers. 1.0.1768.1782) or if my copy of the game is messed up. Also- everytime I start KT up it asks whether I want to install the newest version: when I click yes, it goes through the installation, and the vers. number doesnt change, and it asks again the next time I boot it up whether I want to install the newest version, which I just did. Any help would be appreciated.

A racing addiction makes a crack addiction look like a vague desire for something salty. -Randy Hickman

Fear disturbs your concentration. - Sabine Schmitz
Bimmerman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #685
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Re: KOTOR Tool trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by Bimmerman850CSi
Hey- please ignore this if this question/problem has already been dealt with. When I try to use KOTOR tool for TSL, I get an error message saying that my "chitin.key file appers to be corrupt. You may want to reinstall KOTOR to fix this." Problem is: I have reinstalled it and gotten the same message, and the game runs fine, and KOTOR tool works on .2da's at least just fine. So I am wondering if this is just a bug in my version of Kotor tool(vers. 1.0.1768.1782) or if my copy of the game is messed up. Also- everytime I start KT up it asks whether I want to install the newest version: when I click yes, it goes through the installation, and the vers. number doesnt change, and it asks again the next time I boot it up whether I want to install the newest version, which I just did. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you using KT to edit Kotor 2 files or Kotor 1 files. Because if you're using it for K2, then the error is normal, because KOTOR tool doesn't fully support TSL. At least not the version avaible to download.

Anyways. Great job Fred! I'm getting more and more excited to get my hands on it.

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #686
Bimmerman

I was using KT to edit both KOTOR 1 and 2 by manually changing the paths when I wanted to switch from one game to another. This only happened when I was editing K2, so if you say its a common error b/c KT does not fully support K2(I didnt know that) then I guess i dont have a problem after all. Thanks for the help.

A racing addiction makes a crack addiction look like a vague desire for something salty. -Randy Hickman

Fear disturbs your concentration. - Sabine Schmitz
Bimmerman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #687
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Mav's correct. The error mesaage appears because the validation being performed is for Kotor 1.

Kotor Tool Developer

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Old 02-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #688
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy

I was testing this version of Kotor Tool and I think it still has that problem older versions had with some made robes/armors.
It wont open them
It also said my chitin.key appears to be corrupt, it says it was altered from the official version tho I havent installed anything on my game yet.
Also, where can I find that old .GFF editor that modders used before Kotor Tool could be used to modify items?

Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #689
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

there is no need to worry about the chitin.key that is just because KotOR tool isn't fully compatible with TSL yet and you can get the old GFF editor by, actually checking the useful tutorial sections and stickies, but I'll do it ofr you this time

click here

read section 2.2 c.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 02-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #690
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy

Ahhh so it is normal that error.
Ok.
Thanks man, I really apreciate

Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #691
wolverine66
Lurker

I am having a problem opening the .2da files. If I click on one in a folder I get a message saying that "there is no editor available for that file type". If I try to open one from inside kotor tool it doesn't do anything at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AL
wolverine66 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #692
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by wolverine66
I am having a problem opening the .2da files. If I click on one in a folder I get a message saying that "there is no editor available for that file type". If I try to open one from inside kotor tool it doesn't do anything at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AL
To open 2DA files, either click the 2da shortcut button on the toolbar or choose "Open 2DA file editor" from the Tools menu.
You can select and open the files from within the editor.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #693
wolverine66
Lurker

Thanks, for the quick response but it still does not work. It just adds a box to my task bar like there should be another windows but there isn't one.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #694
johnmedgla
Rookie

Happens to me too for some reason - the 2da editor opens off screen. Just right click on the 2DA editor button on the task bar and click Maximize.
johnmedgla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #695
wolverine66
Lurker

Thanks, worked like a charm.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #696
johnmedgla
Rookie

Happy to help. It's a minor inconvenience in Fred's (Fantastic!!!) tool.

Have fun editing!
johnmedgla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #697
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

It is probably caused by a bug I discovered in the window state persistance code. If you have a window minimized when it is closed, negative values get stored for the windows location (-32000,-32000, if I remember right). I am adding code to fix this.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #698
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Just an update:

I think I have finally figured out a way to handle two cases that never worked right in Kotor Tools Item Properties editor - Disguises and Traps.

Both are unique in that they have a Property and Subtype but no cost table. I somehow missed this in my initial development of the editor.

I *think* I have it working correctly, as an item I made, when equipped, makes you look like Bastilla. I haven't figured out a good test case for the Trap property yet....

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #699
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Sounds great Fred, and sorry but I can't help you with the Trap property I don't even know what it does.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #700
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
This is Great that you found the bug Fred. As to the trap type I think that it is tied to a 2da file I was going over this one a while back in GFF editor.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #701
Celloa
Lurker

Hey, ive been trying to use the KOTOR Tool, but everytime i start it after the dialogue box saying it will have to verify paths, or something this comes up
And it shuts, is this a known bug? is there some easy way to fix it?
Celloa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #702
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Celloa
Hey, ive been trying to use the KOTOR Tool, but everytime i start it after the dialogue box saying it will have to verify paths, or something this comes up
And it shuts, is this a known bug? is there some easy way to fix it?
You need to click the Details button, select and copy the text right up to the part where it lists loaded assemblies, and email it to the address in the readme file. Don't bother with the loaded assemblies; they provide no useful info.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #703
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by maverick187
Sounds great Fred, and sorry but I can't help you with the Trap property I don't even know what it does.
I realized (and verified) that the Trap properties are used for ... traps. They are used to define the type of action a trap has.

I wonder what happens if you assign three or four trap properties to one trap. A Frag-Plasma-Stun-Poison mine?

Hmmm....

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #704
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by maverick187
Looks Great Fred, makes me wonder though... what were those whited-out buttons... hmmmm ... lol
Would it disappoint you if I told you they are just there for "test purposes"?

One of them used to launch the Appearance Wizard, but I stopped working on it for the time being.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #705
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Don't worry Fred, you can't dissappoint me not with a great tool like this

Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #706
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Fred,
I after doing the item extraction pages for Starwarsknights.com I have a new-found respect for KT's item editor. It's been a long time since I've had to jump through all those 2da files looking for information and then looking up references in the dialog.tlk... your Item Editor has spoiled us immensely. I'm sure you remember how long it took to write it the first time around. Think about the multiplicative time savings it has generated for hundreds if not thousands of modders.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #707
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tk102
Fred,
I after doing the item extraction pages for Starwarsknights.com I have a new-found respect for KT's item editor. It's been a long time since I've had to jump through all those 2da files looking for information and then looking up references in the dialog.tlk... your Item Editor has spoiled us immensely. I'm sure you remember how long it took to write it the first time around. Think about the multiplicative time savings it has generated for hundreds if not thousands of modders.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication!
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that my time has gone to good use making things easier for you folks.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #708
Celloa
Lurker

Mailed you that info
Celloa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #709
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

A new version of Kotor Tool should be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

1.0.1879.22455 (2005-02-22)

Features/updates:
  • Added support for individual path information for KotOR I & II.
  • Added support for KotOR I & II to Search feature
  • Search feature user interface improvements; auto selects game type if only one installed, etc.
  • Editors now indicate when a loaded file has values that fall outside of supported ranges.
  • 2DA files in the override folder (but not in folders therein) will 'override' the ones in the game's BIF archives.
  • Module locations and descriptions added for KotOR II.
  • Support for Disguise and Trap properties added to Item editor and Property editor.
  • Substantial reduction in loading of chitin.key file; this should improve performance on slower PCs.
  • Moved map info outside of main Kotor Tool application; this will allow addition of new maps without having to reinstall.
  • Credit for those who made donations. See the "Help | About..." box. Most recently, ChAiNz.2da
  • Added ability to set output path when exporting models
  • Redesigned Path Manager layout and added setting for Model Export Location

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 02-22-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #710
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
. . . . . . .

^^^
(stunned silence and anticipation. Why Oh Why can't I go home work sucks.... heheh)

This looks great Fred, I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a try when I get home!!

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #711
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
A new version of Kotor Tool should be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

1.0.1879.22455 (2005-02-22)

Features/updates:
  • Editors now indicate when a loaded file has values that fall outside of supported ranges.
  • 2DA files in the override folder (but not in folders therein) will 'override' the ones in the game's BIF archives.
So if I understand this correctly if I have a baseitems.2da file in overide and I load a uti file that uses this it will not crash now?

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #712
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkkender
So if I understand this correctly, if I have a baseitems.2da file in override and I load a uti file that uses this, it will not crash now?
The Item editor (UTI) now looks in the Override folder (but does not recurse into sub-folders) for any .2DA file data it needs before it looks in the 2DA.bif for it.

For example, I can open Darth333's d333_warpband.uti, which specifies a property of "CastSpell" which requires spells.2da, with a subtype index of 132, which would be outside of the range of the normal spells.2da. Since you can now specify that you want Kotor Tool to look in the override folder (there's a check box in the Options form, off by default) you can open items such as this.

I did not take the time to improve the error handling in the 2DA "get data based on index" code, if you try to open a file like this with the "Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files" option off, you will get an error, just like in prior versions of Kotor Tool.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #713
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Fred that is perfectly fine. I was just making sure I understood you correctly before I started dancing like a giddy school girl. Because that explanation is just what I thought it was.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #714
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Exclamation

Just to warn folks, there is a minor bug in the Options form handling code.

When you close the form, you'll get an error box. Just click continue. I should a a fix out soon.

EDIT: I have found the bug and fixed it. Watch for a new release soon.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 02-22-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #715
tk102

Quote:
  • Substantial reduction in loading of chitin.key file; this should improve performance on slower PCs.
Nice... toss any hints my way

Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #716
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tk102
Nice... toss any hints my way
Well, the improvement comes from an elimination of an unneeded loading of the chitin.key file every time the user clicked a treenode. (Doh!)

It was a vestigial behavior from the earliest days of Kotor Tool development. It is now gone, as I only load the file when I need to extract a BIF

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #717
tk102

Oh, well I guess that doesn't really help me.

Going off-topic sorry: The only trick I've been able to use is to filter my search of chitin.key by a particular file type. In earlier KSEs I had hardcoded the index of certain .bif files as an additional fiter, but that scheme went out the window with TSL.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #718
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

If anyone downloaded (manually or automatically) version 1.0.1879.18819 (2005-02-22) of Kotor Tool before 5:00 PM EST (GMT -5), please do so again. If Kotor Tool did it via automatic update, you'll need to do so manually.

There is a problem with the startup code that is a pain to deal with; it's just easier to D/L the new version (despite the version number remaining the same; it's just the way it works) than to try to fix your settings.xml file.

As a bonus, there's a few extra features.

I recommend unintstalling (via Add/Remove Programs) and resinstalling manually.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #719
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
If anyone downloaded (manually or automatically) version 1.0.1879.18819 (2005-02-22) of Kotor Tool before 5:00 PM EST (GMT -5), please do so again. If Kotor Tool did it via automatic update, you'll need to do so manually.

There is a problem with the startup code that is a pain to deal with; it's just easier to D/L the new version (despite the version number remaining the same; it's just the way it works) than to try to fix your settings.xml file.

As a bonus, there's a few extra features.

I recommend unintstalling (via Add/Remove Programs) and resinstalling manually.
I just downloaded maybe 15 minutes ago (5:10pm), and everything seems to be working. Though I'm wondering if I should do a "just in case" install. Is there a noticable message so one would know wether or not they have the newest "new" verion?

Otherwise, playing around, this new tool is FANTASTIC Fred! Some of the new item options such as "PC-Subrace-Gender Restrictions, Attribute Restrictions, etc." are going to be super-handy! I also noticed in the upgrades required field you've accounted for everything my friend....Superb Work!

and FYI, the "look in .2da" function works like a charm. The disguise property in the .uti editor recognized Shiamon's Uthar appearance right off the bat!

Wow, Wow, Wow!! ChAiNz.2da is hyper-giddy

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #720
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Well Fred maybe you can tell me if this is fixed with the new version from the release this morning. What I'm running into is kotor tool is not reading the 2da files from overide it is responding in the same manner with it deactivated as activated. I uninstalled and reinstalled and even deleted my settings XML file to be certain.

also along the same line would you be able to adjust it so it reads the overide for both games and not one of them.

On the plus side at least I can open gff files that are outside of bounds either way now.

Also I forgot to mention this previous but this might be a good time to make note of it. some of the placeables seem to generate a out of bounds error for placeables that are a part of the game. Namely if you open the tomb of tulak horde rim file and try to open any of the urn placeables they all have the same error. I thought this was do to trap type and when you said you where working on that I held back making mention.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > KotOR Tool > Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Tags
kotor modding tool, kotor tool