lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #41
Kitty Kitty

Firehawk,

Trust me on this. I've fixed mine, and about a half dozen other people's with this..

I know it doesn't sound like it should do anything, but it works.

1. Open Kotor_Tool
2. Click File > Manage Paths from the topline menu.
3. Add a \ (backslash) to the END of the FIRST path box (KotOR root path).
4. Left click & drag in the THIRD field (Data path) to select the entire line.
5. Type SHIFT-DELETE to cut this to clipboard, then SHIFT-INSERT to paste it back in. (Trust me)
5a. Do NOT click the "V" button to fill the other boxes, or if you DO, remove ALL double backslashes (\\) you see in any boxes.
6. Close the path manager.
7. Close the kotor_tool completely.
8. Load the kotor_tool up again, and it'll work fine.

-Kitty

Kitty Kitty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #42
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Ok one thing that I that this program could really use is a search function.often I find myself wasteing time looking for refferance to a file in an other. It would be great if I could just type in a keyword and all files that fall into that field would pop up in a window along with where they reside if that would be possible.

Damn! I know there was something else I thought would be helpfull,but i can't think right now. Oh, I remember now it would be nice to be able to add new entries at the 2DA's.

Anyway thanks for the work you have put into this program, It has been a great help to me in learning this stuff, and i really like the new features.

Last edited by T7nowhere; 01-24-2004 at 04:44 PM.
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #43
eidospsogos
Veteran

hey fred here's a thought. i have recently run across a rather SERIOUS limitation in the .gff editor. it can NOT copy a value from one .gff to another. i know your program is designed to work with the bioware .gff editor, but what are the chances you would consider adding .gff support just so all of us wanting to create new items won't have to type forever when we start getting into lightsabers? i'm talking 20 something entries in the properties list.

if you have the chance to let me know the likelihood of this being feasible, please do so. and if anyone else out there feels this would be useful to them as well feel free to speak up in support.
eidospsogos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2004, 05:45 AM   #44
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
I've been pretty busy fixing a few things and adding some new ones.

Just to whet your appetite, here are the new features:

Double-click to view most .tpc files right in app. (tpc2tga and an image viewer app are not required) Also shows # of mipmaps in file and other file-specific info.

(Double-click+Shift key will still perform tpc2tga conversion and run your selected image viewer app)

File path problem fixed

Text viewer not anchored to window fixed

I'm hoping to add 2DA row deletion, addition and insertion, too.

Fred

*Anyone come up with an icon yet?
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #45
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Let's say i want to gain more than 1 feat per level. i just edit gainfeat.2da and save it. But what next? How do i import the 2da file back to bif file?
SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #46
Kitty Kitty

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceAlex
Let's say i want to gain more than 1 feat per level. i just edit gainfeat.2da and save it. But what next? How do i import the 2da file back to bif file?

You don't need to. Just leave the modified 2da file in your kotor\override folder (either compiled form or text form - both work fine for 2DAs). When you next load KotOR, it uses this data in place of the stuff in the bifs.

-Kitty

Old 01-28-2004, 03:41 AM   #47
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

I believe the two errors have been fixed.

One was caused by me "exporting" 1 less row of data from the grid than actually existed, but only in the 2da native format; the XML exporter was OK, thus easy to find.

The other was caused by a quirk in the M$ grid that I have worked around. That grid is such a pain that M$ is releasing a new version!

The download site now contains the updated code, though the release version remains the same because of the way the version-generating code from M$ works (go figure!)

To paraphrase Mr. Gates on the subject of why viruses make Windows more secure....

"My code is better because you're finding bugs in it."
Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 PM   #48
Jennaida
Rookie

Current Game: Star Trek Online
Not to be a pain in the butt as a new poster, but, um, is there anything special I should consider when I'm editing featgain.2DA and feat.2DA?

I was trying to see, for a reference, if I could give a char all the non-Jedi feats at level 1, tell it 'no featgain', then tell it to give all Jedi feats at level 2/whatever level you became a jedi at. But when it hit feats in the long form chargen, it crashed every time. Are there a bunch of things that aren't used in game, that are supposed to be left unmarked? If so, a list of tnose might be nice.
Jennaida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #49
gameunlimited

Veteran Modder 
jennaida: maybe you can try to do the following

to give free feats, you can edit the column "sol_granted", "sct_granted", "jcn_granted" (in the feat.2da file) to whatever lvl that you want the feat to be given at. also note that if you do change certain feats to be granted at certain level, make sure that you fill the corresponding field next to the left of the "sol_granted" column to "3" (it is the "xxx_list" column, xxx being the class). otherwise, the feat will not be shown on your feat screen.

So if you are planning to be a soldier/guardian, you would change the "sol_granted" column to "1" and "sol_list" to "3" for all the non jedi feats. then for the jedi feats, you will go to "jgd_granted" and fill "1" also and "jgd_list" to "3". (remember, you will start as a lvl 1 guardian regardles of your soldier class level). that should do the trick.

To create "no feat gain" is even easier. open the featgain.2da and simply change all those number to 0.
gameunlimited is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2004, 06:33 PM   #50
Jennaida
Rookie

Trying that now... hope this works...

*comes back*

Hmm, nope. I'd swear I got the 2DA files right, as well. And I put feat 2DA into the Override folder (that's right, isn't it?) but whenever it gets to Feats in custom chargen, it seaches the disk, then says its performed an error and crashes out during chargen. And since Feats is the first thing I've touched, I'm wondering about it. When I hit 'automatic chargen' its giving me level 1 of some of the stuff, but not giving all of it. Is there a separate listing for some restrictions on 'only' certain classes being allowed something, or is that part of what you mentioned in previous post?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #51
gameunlimited

Veteran Modder 
as of for only giving lvl one skills, it is because the rest of the skills have prerequisites. to remove the prerequisites, go to the same file and look under "mincharlevel" and simply change the values to "****" (4 asterisks).

As of for the game crashes, im not sure what causes it. I have created a similar all force/feats mod too but it works slightly different. instead of giving free feats, i increase the feats gained per level and also removes all prerequisites as i described above. maybe you can take a look at it for a reference. Or try using the mod that i created and see if your game crashes again during the chargen. alternatively, you can send your mod to my email at : gameunlimited@hotmail.com. I can check if it is working in my comp.

SW: KotOR Modding Enclave
http://alvin777t.tripod.com/
Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #52
Jennaida
Rookie

I'll try putting asterisks in everything first after saving a copy of the current one. (reviously I put in 0's instead of asterisks, thinking that in another table 0 was level 1.)Right now I'm wondering if I've acdidentally missed something with some feat or another. I'll go through them all though again before bothering anyone else with it I'm also removing prerequisites for this round, in case it's trying to put them on in an order where it was trying to put one on without a required previous one. Trying again now...

And nope. Argh. *grumble*

I'm wondering if part of it comes because of things like "skill focus" which were evidently intended but didn't get put in. I noticed it showing up in the 'attack' bracket...

Last edited by Jennaida; 01-28-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #53
eidospsogos
Veteran

okay. i have run acroos the same issue myself. you must first of all drop off all level prerequisites from all feats. so that any feat can be gained at any level. that caused my first crash.

second, there is a certain amount of feats you can be granted per level. whenever i had more than ten feats granted per level, the game crashed, ten and below is safe i think. but once i found out what the certain number was, and made sure no level ever gave more than that my crashes stopped. pretty sure ten is safe. but NO more.

and third, if you are thinking that feats that never made it into the game could cause problems you are right. anything that hass xxxx before it in the feat name column is not meant to be used. others are meant for opponent AI. they were put into the game for npcs other than party members. such as weapon proficiency grenade, i imagine is used by the sith grenadiers later on in the game. so, using any feat that has 4's all the way across the board is a big no no. though i REALLY wanted to check out gaurd stance.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 PM   #54
Jennaida
Rookie

Hmm, wonder if that was part of my problem. I tried to make it automatically give me the master ones right away at level 1, without any manual upping during levelups later.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:32 AM   #55
eidospsogos
Veteran

that may or may not cause a problem. if you do that, then what you will need to do is remove any character level requirements. like you must be at level 8 to get this feat. that can be edited in the same file though. then you would also want to remove all feat pre-req's. like you must have this feat before gaining this feat.

however, were i you, i would not do this. some armors have feat requirements in a way that if you only have heavy armor proficiency you might not be able to wear them. the only reason i say this, is because while i was modding exar kun's armor, i noticed it had two feat requirements, one for light armor proficiency and one for medium armor proficiency.

i would recommend only awarding yourself feats you could not gain with your character class. or simply make all feats available, by plaing a 1 in them, and then award yourself say 3-5 feats per level. it is possible to gain all feats in this game, and not cause any problems if you're still awarded feats. say your at level 17 and all your feats are taken, and you are awarded feats. you simply click ok, and the game moves on since it's not possible for you to select a feat. so you have nothing to lose by simply making all the feats you want available and awarding yourself extra feats per level.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:29 AM   #56
Jennaida
Rookie

*blink* it is? I wasn't sure the code would understand I had all the feats, I guess.

Now how do I set a feat in availability to be available for only specific extra classes, not all of them? Hrm... I essentially want to snare a couple things from the Jedi classes, and get them for my Consular...
Old 01-29-2004, 04:39 AM   #57
gameunlimited

Veteran Modder 
i think you have to go to the "xxx_list" column for that. but im not sure if that perhaps will cause the trouble again like last time.

SW: KotOR Modding Enclave
http://alvin777t.tripod.com/
Old 01-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #58
eidospsogos
Veteran

nope. i have a scout that is awarded the first three levels of the sneak attack power. and then can select from 4-9 in the in-game feat menu. likwise, i have awarded a sentinel all 3 levels of force jump and force focus.

jennaida, i can send you my feats.2da file to look at if you'd like.

and i have tested the above mentioned issue. i went through five levels without being able to select any feats, as i already had them all and never had a problem. the game does manage to realize when there are no more possible feats to be selected. the same is true for force powers.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:24 AM   #59
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

No, v1.0.1490.35666 is the latest - that last post was a copy-and-paste error

As long as the version number is higher, than the one you have, it is newer.

I hope you all enjoy the changes and improvements I've made to this latest version.

Special thanks to KittyKitty, Stator, eidospsogos and others for the feature suggestions. Extra thanks to KK for helping with testing.

Fred

P.S. tk102 - you're welcome!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:14 AM   #60
Drakron
Rookie

Its possible to add new fields to 2da files?

Since I think the only way we can add custom armor/cloathing meshes is new Modoli and Texi fields.
Drakron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 AM   #61
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally posted by Drakron
Its possible to add new fields to 2da files?

Since I think the only way we can add custom armor/cloathing meshes is new Modoli and Texi fields.
yes you can create new rows just save the 2da as an xml the edit it with notepad.Choose where you want the row to appeare on the 2da and type this <row name>****</row name>
you would replace "row name" with Modoli or Texi save the file the load the xml back into the 2da editor you may also get an error when you load it just hit continue and your new row will be there.
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 AM   #62
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Ugh! I spend hours developing a grid to edit 2da's and you want to add a new row by editing the xml version? That's only slightly easier than hex editing the 2da file itself

There is an easier way. Just right-click on a row, choose "insert row", and a new row will appear between the one you clicked on and the one above it.

However, you did ask about adding new fields, not rows. I have not added the ability to add new fields (columns) because I figured it would be rather unlikely that the game engine would deal with them properly.

P.S. Read the readme.txt
Old 02-01-2004, 12:31 AM   #63
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

BTW, if you copy (not move) the patch.erf file to your texturePacks directory, you can look at the tpc images and skills.2da file contained therein.

Also, for those who care, I think the "tpc" extension stands for "Texture, PC", as the Xbox version has the same file names, but the extension is "txb" (Texture, XBox).

Fred
Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #64
Drakron
Rookie

Sorry, I figured out with the help they given me.

I dont know about the new fields will work or not since the body meshes in armor/robe/clothing appears to just look for the Model and Tex fields for what mesh they will apply the texture that indicates (if my texture skills did not suck I could release a mod that will make NPCs use their cloth mesh instead of the default robes mesh but a diferent texture being applied when using dark jedi robes, the red robes and blue robes) , I seens that the object mesh/texture information is model and text number (Darth Revan/Star Forge robes look at Modelj and Texj fields) but the object uti BodyVariation entry is =10 so perhaps it allow us to expand the number of Model and Tex fields for new meshes since without it only thing we can do is replace existing meshes id on the Model field.

A way around it would be the Sith armor/Sand people robes trick but the bad news is there is a mesh for each body type (small/medium and large) and a entry for each type in apperance.2da and even if, fortunatly, all the jedi NPCs are using "M" meshes that could not be the case of the player model, the player model only uses the M meshes if he is a scout.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:15 PM   #65
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Ok, so I'm working on some code for handling GFF-based files, like the Area (.are) and Creature (.utc).

As I'm hoping to present a friendly GUI for interacting with these files, which would you folks like to see editable first?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #66
Drakron
Rookie

Area.

Perhaps I can fix the "levitating" jedi council with that ...
Old 02-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #67
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

levitating?

(I have used what I have to make "Dead Eye" have a can of beer on his head. Oh how little it can take to amuse me...)
Old 02-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #68
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
GFF files

Fred,
When you get started on GFF file manipulation, you may find it easiest to think of the file primarily composed of two types of recursive objects: Structs and Fields (with the occasional CExoLocString etc thrown in). Maybe that's obvious to you, but it wasn't to me.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #69
Drakron
Rookie

Yes, if you look at some of the council members in Dantooine you will notice their feets are not connected to the floor .
Old 02-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #70
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Actually, I already have a class implemented that will read GFF data and built a relational structure plus reference arrays for the structs and lists.

Here's a few links to the diagnostic output from the class when it's building itself from the stunt_eboqrts.git file in STUNT_00.rim , in case anyone's interested:

Text format:
stunt_eboqrts.txt

RTF format ("syntax colored"):
stunt_eboqrts.rtf (You can save this to disk and open it with WordPad or MS Word)

As a side note, the units for x/y/z positions appear to be measured in meters (well, "virtual" meters), as most of the male charaters are about 1.6 to 1.75 units tall.

If you'd like to see the beer (actually plc_beer2) on DeadEyes' head, put this in the override folder and go to the dueling organizer's room in the cantina on Taris.

m02ae.git

Some might like to know that it appears that attempting to place two character models at the same x/y/z coordinates will cause one to be moved off to the side, apparently outside their collision radii.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #71
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Drakron
Yes, if you look at some of the council members in Dantooine you will notice their feets are not connected to the floor .
Here's Vandar's info; note the "ZPosition"

Struct- Type:4 Field count: 6
Field- Type: float Label: XPosition Value: 106.2865
Field- Type: float Label: YPosition Value: 31.36993
Field- Type: float Label: ZPosition Value: 4.445451
Field- Type: float Label: XOrientation Value: -0.5555701
Field- Type: float Label: YOrientation Value: 0.8314697
Field- Type: CResRef Label: TemplateResRef Value: dan13_vandar
End of struct
Old 02-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #72
Drakron
Rookie

Vandar is fine, its the other two idiots (not the twi' lek) that are wrong.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #73
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

The "Z" numbers for all of them are different, go figure
Old 02-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #74
Shimaon

Hey Fred, I just gotta say, since I just realized I have never posted in this thread, I LOVE your tool, its by far the most useful thing modders have access to (but I'm sure you knew that already ).

Also, I'm wondering, do you have any plans in the future to make an item maker type thing with an easy to use GUI?
I'm no programmer, but from what I've seen you do here, I don't think it would be that hard (by looking at the item files and such) to make something that lets you choose a name, description, and appearance, then add properties.

Thanks Again for an Awesome modding tool,
Shimaon
Shimaon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2004, 05:07 AM   #75
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Thanks for the compliments; I'm glad you're happy with KT.

As the only reason I'm writing this tool (besides the fact that I like programming a great deal - I do it ~13-14 hours a day) is so that all of you folks can get even more out of KotOR, I'm happy to hear of the features you'd like to have.

That said, I haven't had the time to poke around to see what it takes to create an item manually, but if someone can give me the basic logic and steps behind it and what files and/or data has to be modified to do so, I probably can grant your request.

Anyone up to that task?

Now, with regard to area editing, I only have 1/2 of the code for the GFF files done; the part that parses them into a managable internal format that I can use. I have added this, for what use it is, into the latest version, which I should be releasing soon (maybe the evening of 2/8). It will let you Control-double-click a GFF -type file on the tree and you'll get to see the parsed file in syntax-colored text form in the new version of the text editor. A shift-double-click gets you the straight uncolored version.

The new text editor has most of the features you'd find in an external editor, like a "find" function, multiple levels of undo/redo, font selection, etc. Maybe most folks won't find it useful, but I needed the code for something else anyway, so you get the benefit.

Also, the image viewer, text editor and hex viewer all remember where you last had them and their sizes as well.

Watch for the posting announcement!

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 03-02-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #76
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

OK, new version posted
Old 02-08-2004, 05:35 AM   #77
Kitty Kitty

Hehe.. I actually had a dream the other night as I was waking up... I can distinctly remember dreaming that I programmed a tool that would do a bunch of cool stuff.. which I'm going to try to explain as best I could, though remember.. this all comes from the fragments of a dream so bear with me..

Anyways.. it would first obviously have to have path information, similar to kotor_tool. This is so that, when it does its first step, which would be to load up all the data, it could (if the option was selected) use files it found in \override instead whenever there was a possible conflict.

Now.. from here, the tool would basically have a graphic interface by which you'd be able to say.. select an area.. It would load that up, and (after having checked against all pertinent data), "know" what's going on there... Then you'd have lists of triggers, placeables, creatures, items, etc... which could be edited, or you could add things in simply because the editor already has all the templates and information.. so all you'd have to do would be to tell it what you wanted to place and where.

I got the feeling it was supposed to do a lot of other fun stuff too, but again.. it's only fragments.

The thing that was really annoying is that I very distinctly remember waking up thinking.. "wow.. that'd be nice.. and it wouldn't be THAT hard to do... " but at the same time, as I fully woke up, I immediately realized that my archaic and piecemail programming knowledge is nowhere even remotely close to "up for the task" so I sighed, ate breakfast.. and edited some stuff with kotor_tool instead.

Now... so as to preserve SOME amount of topic integrity... You already know I love kotor_tool. As for new features, I guess native support for those GFF files (they have a more proper name, but it escapes me right now), which would probably lead to a feature *similar* to the easy item creation/editing I was mentioning above (since you're already getting into the area files and the like, which would realistically be the other roadblock for such an undertaking).

Assuming we ever manage to figure out the blasted model format, maybe a simple viewer which would allow loading up an MDL and acompanying textures in a 3d view would be nice. Especially if it gave us the ability to change the selected texture, and optionally save an exported mdl with those changes.

Of course.. I'm dreaming again, and really.. that'd be sorta silly the more I think about it.. since there are already lots of 3d modeling programs to do that job IF we can ever bust the format of the files and get a couple import/export plugins for the stupid things.

hehe.. anyways.. Keep up the great job Fred. I've yet to be unhappy with any release of the program, and I'm always happy to help test (and break) it whenever you need a hand.

I'll also look into that item deal you mentioned about the files and steps needed etc... maybe if we collaborate a bit, I can help out and we could get it to work.. which would be a much better situation than the mess that would happen if I were to even consider trying to program something on my own at this point. ;D

-Kitty

Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #78
Shimaon

Heh, I was actually gonna offer to help with the item thing, but I am know Kitty Kitty would be FAR more up to the task then me.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get the 2DA Editor over onto my screen? Its kinda wierd, because whenever I open it, it comes up to the right of my screen and I can only use it if I maxamize it via taskbar.

Also, one last thing, Fred, do you think you could pull off the ability to copy and paste rows in your 2DA Editor? It would be a lifesaver for me...

Thanks,
Shimaon
Shimaon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2004, 04:04 AM   #79
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

The direction I'd like to see the tool go is in the one Kitty mentioned. It probably can get close; I just have to figure out the relationships between all of the pieces in the game. Then BioWare will hire me as a tools guy and that'll be the end of that!

As for copying and pasting rows, do you mostly need to paste one row's values over another existing one's or do you want to make a copy of it into a new row. I could code both, but picking one would get you the feature sooner

Also, if anyone is interested in being put on my pre-release list so they can get the latest tool emailed to them or at least email notification of releases, just drop me a line at the address in the readme.txt file. No address will be sold, etc., etc. - Some folks just want to know right when it comes out.

And, as always, thanks for the kind comments and praise!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #80
Ellderon

Hmm...can you make the tool add new columns allso?

- Vision of Escaflowne Worshipper!
- J.R.R. Tolkien Worshipper!
- pasionate modder and modeler!
- gattling fanataic

Games modded so far > 30
Ellderon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > KotOR Tool > Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Tags
kotor modding tool, kotor tool