lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars Headed to DVD Sept. 21st
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #41
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jed
*cherishes his VHS of the original, non-SE Empire Strikes Back*
*gives her original SW non-SE video box set a big hug*

It's wearing a bit thin now. The box is tattered and videos are starting to fade in quality. Mind you, I have had them since the day they were released. It would be so nice to have them on DVD. ='(

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #42
toms
v0.9

I'm sooo glad i bought these on VHS before all these silly Special Editions came out. I have those too of course, but i think i only watched them once and then returned to the proper ones.

Looking at the proper ones i can see a few falws i hoped would be fixed in the Special Editions (Namely boxes around the tie fighters and bad bluescreen ith the Rancor), but other than that i don't see why you should mess with classic films.

I can't think of a single item that was ADDED to the special editions that was worthwhile.

-Greedo shooting first comes off as stupid (han hardly shot him in cold blood, greedo missing by a foot from 3 feet away).
-The jabba scene (which i wanted to see) is pointless as it repeats most of the dialogue from the greedo scene, and it is really badly done.
-The bit where han chases stormtroopers until they realise there is only him is made silly by filling the room with stormtroopers.
-The rancor bluescreen still isn't fixed.
-The extra dance number just comes off as silly and inserted.
-The ending of ROTJ is slightly interesting (all the planets celebrating), but it (and the change to rubbish downbeat ethnic music) slows down the whole ending of the film.

Oh, I suppose i liked that the re-inserted biggs into the Yavin hanger. That was cool.

The main problem I have with the Special Editions is that the CGI looks terrible. It stands out like a sore thumb and not only looks fake in comparison to the models (which had a kind of gritty realism) but also makes the models look static in comparisson. Neither wins. The added creatures look like bad Jurasic Park rejects (like when the used to stick horns on a iguana and call it a dragon). The original special effects have stood the time amazingly well for a 27 year old film, whereas most CGi tends to date very rapidly.

There were a few scenes that i would like to see in a Special edition (Luke jumping to grate in rancor pit, vader choking imperial guards) but I would only like them as OPTIONS, not irreversiably inserted into a classic film. THe jabba scene isn't one of them.

Oh, and the rumoured additions like cgi duels and replacing anakin are really bad ideas. Not all directors cuts are better than the original, often there was a good reason why something was cut, or done the way it was. (See Alien, Aliens for worse (if interesting) special editions). Just clean up the flaws and leave it the hell alone... or release a Quadrilogy style pack with 2 versions of each.

These films wouldn't be the classics they are now if there was SO MUCH that needed changing...

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2004, 01:37 PM   #43
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by toms
Oh, and the rumoured additions like cgi duels and replacing anakin are really bad ideas.
i think we can safely say now that those rumours aren't going to happen.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #44
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally posted by leXX
*gives her original SW non-SE video box set a big hug*

It's wearing a bit thin now. The box is tattered and videos are starting to fade in quality. Mind you, I have had them since the day they were released. It would be so nice to have them on DVD. ='(
ME TOO! I love my videos...except mine are the first ever VHS releases still work good too.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #45
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

I have original to but it skips alot so I just watch SE.

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Star Wars Headed to DVD Sept. 21st