lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: If SWGB 2 added heroes......
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-08-2004, 02:19 AM   #81
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Remember that not everyone is a huge RTS player. Moderates and newbies will prefer movie heroes, characters they already know to randomly generated ones.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #82
FroZticles
Veteran

Well if there not a RTS fan why buy the game? They can still have there movie heroes in the scenario toy box and in the campaigns but the RM should be the one boundary they cannot cross.
FroZticles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 AM   #83
FroZticles
Veteran

Vostok- You don't base a hero on his name its what he does in game and the story the creators put behind him that really matters.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:26 AM   #84
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Actually that's a very narrow-minded comment. I can safely say that at least half of the people who will buy the game will be RTS moderates or newbies. They'll move to RM later but if they don't see anything that they like in it, they won't.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:44 AM   #85
FroZticles
Veteran

Sorry I misread and thought you ment people who don't like RTS...

SWGB didn't have heroes in RM and plenty of people played. People jump straight on the scenario band wagon cause they are the easiest games to play. With RM it takes months to get up to scratch and even longer to catch up to the high inters.

So what your saying is noone will play RM cause theres no movie heroes? Well I'm sorry but your way off the mark. I fhtye don't like RM they don't they just continue with scenarios and keep blinding themselves with the same comments I hear all the time is RM sucks.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:49 AM   #86
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
No. I'm saying that RM will be more appealing to the regulars if they had movie heroes.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #87
FroZticles
Veteran

I'm a regular and that wold not impress me at all. People have different thoughts you can't possibly know what they want.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #88
saberhagen

Ziff Kalasco sounds cool. Which side is he on? Does he have a droopy moustache? Tell me more. I want to know all about him. Now.
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #89
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Argh Froz....

If I was a RTS and a low Star Wars fan, I would more attracted if I got the chance to play witht he characters I know.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #90
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Think of it this way: nearly every single piece of EU ever made has at least one character in from the movies, or failing that a relative of a character from the movies.

The movies are what matters. This is my belief as a Purist, and I'm sure most will agree that the movies are far more popular than the EU is.

If you have generic characters like Ziff Kalasco (who does have a droopy moustache) that are not in the movies, they can never hope to compete with the popularity of a movie character like Luke Skywalker.

Yes, SWGB1 didn't have movie characters in their RM, but they didn't have generic heroes either. If a Star Wars RTS includes heroes, why would the makers choose to have generic characters when such great and immediately recognisable characters already exist in the movies? I'm quite confident that if SWGB1 did have buildable heroes, they would have been movie characters.

In fact I've come to the conclusion that to not include movie characters is far less pure than including them. The whole idea of Purism is that things need to be as much like the movies as possible, and if they substitute movie heroes for non-movie heroes, how can this be so? Perhaps we should not include movie civs and just have generic civs if we don't want to interfere with the movies?

Froz, if you really are a gamer first and formost I don't see how the name of your character should make a difference. He'll still be exactly the same gameplay wise, so what does it matter if his name is Luke Skywalker or Ziff Kalasco?

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2004, 07:22 AM   #91
FroZticles
Veteran

luke-A low Star Wars fan wouldn't know his Vaders from his Padmes.

vostok-The makers know if they added movie heroes into RM it would suck the realism out of it. Looking really stupid. You can't bring your less pure stuff over to RM. The campaigns fill the generic heroes journey and history. When playing SWGB I had no idea who Sev'Rance was but everyone accepted her.

After this debate I've ejected heroes altogether accept from the campaigns and scenarios. Have your movie heroes for all I care our not the ones who play RM anyways.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:22 PM   #92
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
First off, we do play RM.

Second, give me a single low Star Wars fan who doesn't know who the hell is Darth Vader.

I'm gonna take War of The Ring as an example here. I know it may not be the best RTS out there but here goes.
In general RM, they used the books' heroes instead of unknown ones. People couldn't be happier. No on actually complaints about realism.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #93
Admiral Vostok

How exactly are movie characters less pure? They are from the movies, therefore they are pure.

I was completely unaware you were a purist at all, Froz. Now you're challenging me as to what is and is not pure?

And Luke's Dad, while War of the Ring was a load of rubbish, I think we should look to the upcoming Battle for Middle Earth as a better example. Because it is based on the Lord of the Rings movies, this makes it quite similar to a future Star Wars RTS (both based on movies). Battle for Middle Earth will have powerful heroes from the movies (and technically they're from the books too) that you can build and send into battle. Now you can't tell me you'd rather play as a generic Wizard hero instead of as Gandalf. The same goes for Star Wars. Why play as a generic Jedi when you can play as Luke Skywalker?

I'd like to think EA has done a bit of research into what gamers want, so if LOTR movie characters are good enough for their LOTR RTS heroes, Star Wars movie characters should be good enough for Star Wars RTS heroes.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #94
FroZticles
Veteran

I'm not a purist, I just was trying to show your not much of one yourself. With movie heroes in RM yes very pure.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #95
Admiral Vostok

You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of what exactly Purism is. It is not the desire to be entirely separate from the movies so as to not contradict them, it is quite the opposite. It is the need to make things as much like the movies as possible.

To this end, since movie characters are in the movies and we want the game to be as much like the movies as possible, movie characters should also be in the game.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:47 PM   #96
FroZticles
Veteran

No if you had it your way the whole game would be the movies all over again.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #97
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Actually, no. I know Vostok. He cares for gameplay more then realism no matter what it looks like.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:32 AM   #98
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of what exactly Purism is. It is not the desire to be entirely separate from the movies so as to not contradict them, it is quite the opposite. It is the need to make things as much like the movies as possible.

To this end, since movie characters are in the movies and we want the game to be as much like the movies as possible, movie characters should also be in the game.
I do not agree with your theory. For the "Lord of the purists" you don't sound very purist to me

I'd say make things as much like the movies, but don't contradict them at the same time. I.e. no wookie civ cuz we only see 4 wooks in the SW movies, but having luke in a skirmish contradicts the movies. Just my view. (I still can't accept to see Luke in a RM, but it doesn't matter since LA will probably never look at what we wrote here).

Ok, I'll try to shut up again

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2004, 01:59 AM   #99
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
The thing is having the Confederacy fighting the Rebels is contradicting the movies, having the Republic fight the Empire even more. Therefore we can overlook minor things.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:13 AM   #100
FroZticles
Veteran

Luke you don't understand that realism is left at the door in RM battles are ment to be huge and strategic. The only realism in there is the military units. This movie hero stuff isn't minor you have them in campaigns and scenarios what more do you want?

RM IS NOT THE STORY!!!.......thats the campaigns job.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:21 AM   #101
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Actually, it's even more minor.

I can't believe we're arguing if heroes should be named Ziff Zalasco or Luke Skywalker...

Old 04-10-2004, 02:29 AM   #102
FroZticles
Veteran

I'm not debating the names I'm annoyed that you don't see it will make a invasive presence in RM. Luke becoming a evader hmmm thought I'd never see the day.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:43 AM   #103
Admiral Vostok

Luke's Dad: It's Ziff Kalasco, not Zalasco! Or is Zalasco your generic-named hero?

Froz: Exactly, RM is not the story. So what's the problem with having movie characters in it?

Darth: How does having Luke in a skirmish contradict the movies? I seem to remember in the Battle of Hoth after his snowspeeder went down, he was right in the skirmish, taking out an AT-AT and everything.

Everyone: Is the major problem with having movie characters in the game the fact they can die? If so I have a concept that gets around that without making them uber-characters like WarCraft III:

When a hero gets to 1HP (just about to die) they become invulnerable and cannot be targetted by enemy units anymore. They can no longer attack or use any special abilities, and their line of sight is reduced to one (so they can't see anything). They move at a very reduced rate because they are near death. You have to get the hero back to your Command Center where they can be dunked into a vat of bacta and restored to full health.

This is very realistic because if you think about it, this is exactly what happened to Luke (kind of) when Vader cut off his hand and he fell down the pit: he was effectively dead. But he was rescued and brought back to full health for more adventures. The same with Han when he was frozen, and with Obi-Wan when he was taken by the Geonosians, and with Anakin when Dooku cut his arm off. In fact if you think about it, rescuing incapacitated heroes is a big part of Star Wars.

Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #104
FroZticles
Veteran

I read up to where you could "fix" the movie heroes damn that is just crazy enough not to work....

It makes things a whole lot worse losing a hand or arm is one thing but when you are half a second from dying and then you cant lose health is insane. Your lord of the purists no more you have disgraced them I now give Darth Windu your crown thats how unrealisic that idea is.

With movie heroes in RM it introduces stroy into RM which is irrelevant. You can't use Luke battling AT-AT on hoth as a back up you said so yourself it isn't a story so take your scenario toy box with your movie heroes with you.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #105
Lord_Angelus
Rookie

Cool Guy

I like the idea of heroes being incapacitated. This could be expanded a little, players could have a prison building which allows them to capture enemy heroes (probably with a special and expensive unit, maybe the bounty hunters that I described earlier).

Lord Angelus

"I thought you said you don't hold a grudge?"
"Well, I don't. I have no surviving enemies...at all."
Lord_Angelus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #106
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Sorry Vostok but that really is a lousy idea. It would piss off the enemy so greatly. Besides, it makes no sense at all. He's near dead and no one can kill him...wth?

I'm reconsidering the whole idea of heroes themselves...perhaps they shouldn't have such a place. AoM did fine without them(Greek heroes are not errr...heroes...).

Anyway, for the sake of the debate, I'll take SWBF as yet another example. In Star Wars Battlefront, you'll be able to cal upon the help of a jedi/sith hero after you accomplish something(that I don't know).
Now Luke and Vader have already been confirmed to be in-game NPCs so if they can throw in movie characters in the midst of a battle, I guess SWGBII can too.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #107
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Actually, it's even more minor.

I can't believe we're arguing if heroes should be named Ziff Zalasco or Luke Skywalker...
That means that we've got nothing to discuss on, and that we desperatly (sp?) need a new RTS...

@ Vostok : bad idea. Doesn't make any sense to me.

... and WC3's heroes are not suber-extra-uber invincible. They only become super strong (not uber) if the game lasts too long... and that means you don't know how to play if it lasts too long.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:24 AM   #108
FroZticles
Veteran

luke- we still are not sure how they will put them in game it could just be in the single player mode in a mission. I doubt they will make them available online because youll have 5 vaders running around.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #109
Admiral Vostok

Aww, no-one likes my idea. I thought it reflected the movies quite well. The idea is not that they become invincible near death, it is that the enemy supposedly thinks they're dead, so stops targetting them, when they actually aren't dead at all, and they sneak away to fight another day. But if everyone really hates it I'll do away with it.

What if I alter my idea by going on what Angelus suggested? That is, when they get down to zero health they are not killed but are instead captured by the enemy. You can no longer control them, and to get them back you'll have to mount a rescue mission. Perhaps there could be additional effects, such as while the enemy has your heroes prisoner, you lose an amount of your resources every so often. It could also be modified into a game mode, kind of like where you win if you have all the holocrons, instead winning if you can hold onto all the enemy's heroes for a period of time.

Is that better?

Froz: Jedi Outcast allowed you to use whatever characters you wanted in online multiplayer mode, including Luke Skywalker. So you could have eight Luke Skywalkers all battling each other. If I'm not mistaken, Jedi Outcast has been the most popular Star Wars game to date...

My point is there is no possible way multiplayer games don't follow the movies, but they do try to capture the feel of the movies. That's what I'm trying to do. The game isn't reliving the movies, it's just for fun, which is surprisingly what a game is meant to be.

And perhaps you should learn the definition of Purist before you give yourself the right to de-throne me...

Old 04-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #110
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Well, i'm just going to go ahead and say that Heroes shouldnt be in multi-player games. They dont fit, and really this game is supposed to be about large battles between huge powers, not a few people.

PS: froz - vostok is actually being purist because he is chosing film characters over non-film characters. Oh yes and Vostok, i hate your idea too

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2004, 01:45 AM   #111
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Capturing heroes seems quite interesting for a game mode.
It sounds like some sort of regicide or kill the commander which was always a very interesting game type.

I've always felt that those games required more thinking then others.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:14 AM   #112
FroZticles
Veteran

Windu- I don't want heroes in RM at all..... Vostok is still not a purist with his unkillable hero idea and he stills wants 8 Lukes in one game....

Vostok-Jedi outcast is not a RTS and it is dead now since the release of JKA. Which you create your own characters and is more popular than Jedi OUtcast ever was.

Your rescue mission idea is bad there are no missions in RM unless you count killing all your enemies a mission. It could work in a game mode but I don't see the appeal.

It is a RTS you try turning it into a RPS now a first person shooter very interesting....
Old 04-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #113
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Froz, try playing Savage. It's an RTS/FPS.

You'd be amazed.

JKA doesn't have the popularity JKO had in its prime. JKA was blah...bad storyline, bad online community...blah...I guess JKO wasn't much better but still...

Old 04-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #114
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Froz, try playing Savage. It's an RTS/FPS.

You'd be amazed.

JKA doesn't have the popularity JKO had in its prime. JKA was blah...bad storyline, bad online community...blah...I guess JKO wasn't much better but still...
Actually, JO was (and is still) a superb game. However, most players are attracted by the damn staves and dual sabers. (it was a really bad idea to add them, IMO)

About capture & rescue : I don't think it's a good idea. If you want this, go play Rebellion (or start a petition so that they make a rebellion 2 ).

And don't forget that the game should not be centered around heroes. They're just additional stuff to make the game more enjoyable (unless you want it to be more like WC3, but that wouldn't fit with SW).

Old 04-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #115
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
JO is a good game, better then JA is but its online community wasn't much better.

Capture & Rescue: It shouldn't be very different from Kill the Commander so...

Old 04-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #116
Admiral Vostok

Froz: Actually in RM at the moment you can win by collecting all holocrons, and this is what capturing all enemy heroes would be like.

I think heroes are an important enough part of Star Wars to be included, but you are right Darth in that the game shouldn't revolve around them.

I'm just finishing up my revised design of SWGB2, and I want to include heroes. So what is the best way for them to exist?
1) My unkillable heroes idea is right out, no-one likes it.
2) My capturable and rescuable heroes has people divided.
3) What if they can be killed? Either you can only ever build one, or...
4) Build a new one every time they die... very unrealistic but seems to be the way most games include them (Generals, Age of Mythology, WarCraft III...)

So how should they operate? And don't just say no heroes at all, I want them so I'm trying to determine a good way to include them.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #117
FroZticles
Veteran

vostok- I don't play it on standard only conquest you can also win by monument that that stuff is all noobie.

When heroes die I guess cloning them back is the only way.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:03 PM   #118
Admiral Vostok

I never said you play it on standard. I don't play on standard either. But the fact remains it exists, and is named "standard".

So you're okay with rebuilding them (option 4)? I guess maybe I should start a poll... nah.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:50 AM   #119
FroZticles
Veteran

No I'm not okay with it, I don't want heroes at all, but its the only one that makes sense. Building and hero and they die and never come back noone would build a hero unless they were stronger than WC3 and had HUGE!!! damage giving abilities.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:49 AM   #120
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

I'm going to again agree with FroZ on this point, NO HEROES IN MULTI-PLAYER!

They are excellent for single-player, but the whole point of the game is the control of large forces, not single people.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > If SWGB 2 added heroes......