lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Improved Imperial Officer Model
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-17-2004, 01:59 AM   #1
HapSlash

Improved Imperial Officer Model

Now that I've finished the Improved Stormtrooper model, my attention has been turned towards the Imperial Officer that I've been working on.

For those who haven't been checking out my site, I've been attempting to revamp the Imperial Officer model in order to create something more befitting their movie counterparts.

So far I've refined the base mesh and reworked all of the textures.

The uniform colors have been changed. Rather than the original blue, black, and brown; they are now gray, black, and white, with perhaps an additional fourth color. I'm also planning on including 5 different faces with the model to add some variety into the mix.

Right now, the mesh that I've been working with is almost done. The entire body has been overhauled with the exception of the face and a majority of the head. I've added several new optional parts to the model as well, including a new holster, belt boxes, and 7 different rank bars.

All of these alterations will hopefully allow for multitudes of different officers to be introduced into the game.

In addition to the work that's been done on the Officers themselves, I'm also planning on including the DH-17 blaster model with them, which would replace the default Imperial pistol.

More to come,...

HapSlash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
RaSiN_HeCk

nice

People who sin say this: They had to, to survive. People who sin say this: It's too late now to stop. The shadow called Sin dogs them steadily from behind, without a word. Remorse and Agony are repeated, to finally end up at Despair. But sinners don't know that if they turn around, there is a light... a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly. A light that will never fade.
-Vash the Stampede
RaSiN_HeCk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
Abstracked
Rookie

Very nice, I like your attention to detail in your models, faces especially, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the rebel blaster used at the very beginning of A new hope? I'm liking it
Abstracked is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
HapSlash

Yeah,... the same blaster pops up several times throughout the trilogy, usually used by imperials, but most notably in the hands of the rebel forces aboard the Tantative IV.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:44 AM   #5
Vader218
Lurker

HapSlash, i have seen all of your work on your site and i think it is truly amazing. I downloaded the Improved Stormtrooper and I love that skin so much. It really brings out the detail of a Stormtrooper. Now that you are working on your Improved Imperial Officer, I can't wait for the final release. I wish you the best of luck on this model.
Vader218 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 AM   #6
Miko Reglia
Veteran

nice, quality work as always Hapslash!

Great work!

Jedi Knight of "The Jedi Order"
Miko Reglia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #7
Lei Hng Wei
Rookie

I agree, really great stuff.

BTW, for your Bespin Luke check out the OJP holstering system. Remove the pistol and saber from the model and with the proper placement of tags, the pistol and saber holstered in game will look just like the image on your page (plus the weirdness of multiple sabers in a fight will be gone).

And a final touch, reskin Anakin's saber to make Luke's and Vader's sabers from ESB to go along.
Lei Hng Wei is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #8
HapSlash

Actually I've already made a saber to go along with luke.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/saber.jpg

I probably could add a few more touches to it, but I kinda like it the way it is.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:43 AM   #9
monsoontide
Multiple Arm Attack!

I think he's referring to the fact that Keshire and ---- (can't remember) have been working on a mod that allows you to holster your current weapon on the model by using a series of tags on the model i.e. tag_blaster, tag_saber1, tag_rocket launcher.

There's some pix here
http://66.90.64.18/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123854
about the 14th post down shows the best stuff.

Don't know if it's really all that practical though...

Monsoontide
monsoontide is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
keshire
Veteran

At the moment its just aesthetic for the base game. Eventually ragdoll and hit detection will be added for the enhanced version of OJP. Hopefully bolt-on clothing will be next.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
-Keshire of the Bleak Cabal.
keshire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #11
Lei Hng Wei
Rookie

Ooo, nice saber work HapSlash.

As for the OJP's holstering, I feel it'll compliment the models. Ya can't see that spiffy saber with it's in Luke's hand, but hanging off the belt however...

Bolt-on clothing? Would that mean I can wear a trooper's helmet after I lop it off?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #12
keshire
Veteran

Ya, I'm diggin the saber. It's amazing what a good skin can do for a low-poly model.

And helmets would be easy. Its robes that would be a challenge to implement.

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
-Keshire of the Bleak Cabal.
keshire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #13
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

Thumbs up

the new boots look great, and you were right about the code cylinders.

now if there was only a way to edit the levels to use different npcs (ie. replace model A in level 1 with model B, yet in level 2 model A is the original, etc, etc.).

overlord
t3rr0r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #14
Daskers

Terrific Work!

One question, that I have yet to see answered. Will your models include the key cylinders on the arms that the origional ones used in SP?

Anakin: "Don't worry master. It would take a human sized orange tanned fish with floppy ears and a racially questionable accent to make ME turn to the dark side!"
Obi-Wan: "Where's Jar Jar"
Daskers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Yeah, I've been wondering for a while now, Hap, what are you planning for the shoulder key? No officers in the movies had a key mounted on their shoulder, the "keys" are really the code cylinders on the officer's torso. Would it be possible to have the code cylinders disappear from the torso when you pick up a key, like on the original officer? Although it appears that all officers in the movies had code cylinders, (number of cylinders depends on their rank) so, it'd look like all officers in the game have keys, even if they don't.

Hmm...

Last edited by TK-8252; 03-30-2004 at 09:59 PM.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 AM   #16
Thrawn42689

You are planning on making a Grand Admiral uniform, right?

Thrawn42689 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 01:18 AM   #17
Zappa_0
JOM Director

Hey all these improved models are looking awesome. Keep up the great work dude!
Zappa_0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 02:53 AM   #18
HapSlash

I never really liked the shoulder mounted keys that the originals had, so I hadn't planned on including them. I haven't bothered coming up with any alternate ways to incorporate the key into the model either, I didn't think that it was really that important.

I tried to recreate the look of the old square-toe jackboots by adding a few polys here and there. All total, the new boot has 11 more faces than the original.

Here's a pic of those new code cylinders,...
They're still painted on, but they do look better than the originals.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #19
Daskers

I appreciate where your coming from in that the shoulder key is'nt exactly cannon, but it helps game play to have it visible, as I can imagine wasting time running back through levels trying to find a key on a dead officer that I can't see.

Anakin: "Don't worry master. It would take a human sized orange tanned fish with floppy ears and a racially questionable accent to make ME turn to the dark side!"
Obi-Wan: "Where's Jar Jar"
Daskers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #20
AlphaleX
Rookie

Re: Improved Imperial Officer Model

Quote:
Originally posted by HapSlash

with perhaps an additional fourth color.
mmmm.... this color?

http://tiger887.tripod.com/ImperialU...ImpUniform.jpg

Excellent mooodeeeelll!!!
AlphaleX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #21
Lei Hng Wei
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Daskers
I appreciate where your coming from in that the shoulder key is'nt exactly cannon, but it helps game play to have it visible, as I can imagine wasting time running back through levels trying to find a key on a dead officer that I can't see.
Or you could just use Force Sense and target whatever shows up in blue.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:29 PM   #22
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Re: Re: Improved Imperial Officer Model

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaleX
mmmm.... this color?

That's the standard gray...
Old 03-19-2004, 12:08 AM   #23
Neverhoodian
If I may make a point...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lei Hng Wei[/I]
Or you could just use Force Sense and target whatever shows up in blue.
Jedi Outcast doesn't have Force Sense in SP, mate.

I'm almost positive a JA version will be released, though.

Excellent work as always, Hap! You give these games a new lease on life!

Dark Forces Total Conversion-http://darkforces.jediknight.net
Relive the classic that started it all!
Open Jedi Project-http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisp...s=&forumid=542
Working to expand the JA experience!
Neverhoodian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 AM   #24
Lei Hng Wei
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Jedi Outcast doesn't have Force Sense in SP, mate.
Well in that case, KILL EVERYONE.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:40 AM   #25
Abstracked
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lei Hng Wei
Well in that case, KILL EVERYONE.
Guess who wins 1st place for lame post of the day.

I like what you've done with the boots there, simple yet very effective.
Abstracked is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 04:14 AM   #26
HapSlash

Quote:
Originally posted by Daskers
I seem to have misplaced my JO disc so I can't check, but doesn't the key disapear from the body as soon as you blast 'em, then the world object spawns,...?

Old 03-19-2004, 05:05 AM   #27
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by HapSlash
I seem to have misplaced my JO disc so I can't check, but doesn't the key disapear from the body as soon as you blast 'em, then the world object spawns,...?
that's what i thought, if i remember correctly... so in that case, you could place the key inside the officer's skull or chest cavity and it would still have the same effect.

overlord
Old 03-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #28
AlphaleX
Rookie

Re: Re: Re: Improved Imperial Officer Model

Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252
That's the standard gray...
Ah ok.... i think that is green....looks more green than gray...well ok

Those rank bars are included in the pack?

Rank List: http://www.imperialorder.org/docs/fleetops/ranks.jpg

or this: http://www.emperors-imperial-army.8m...Misc/Ranks.htm

Last edited by AlphaleX; 03-19-2004 at 05:32 PM.
AlphaleX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #29
monsoontide
Multiple Arm Attack!

I've seen Thrawn lurking on your site HapSlash, (Well... the picture representing a possible Thrawn anyway ) So I was going to say if you'd do him as an alternate officer that would be nice (Since I think apart from the uniform colour, the only difference is the funky shoulder pads.)
And would therefore like to suggest using either Jeremy Irons, Ralph Feinnes, or Alan Rickman (Remember, Thrawn is a villain, so he HAS to be English!)
Still, as always, just a suggestion...

You modeling for a living yet?

Monsoontide
Old 03-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #30
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Improved Imperial Officer Model

Quote:

I'm certain that Captain Khurgee wears the standard gray uniform. That picture of him has a very bad hue, just look at the color of his rank bar, which is supposed to be red, looks orange-yellow in that picture. Here's a better picture of Khurgee:

Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #31
monsoontide
Multiple Arm Attack!

Hi HapSlash

Was just looking at your General Mohc model (On your website) and since I was mentioning using actors as references and you mentioned that you were having trouble translating the cartoon face into a more "real" face, I would suggest using a real life person as a reference for example (in this case) actor Joss Ackland (Leathal Weapon 2/Hunt For Red October) springs to mind, though I'm certain there are other people more suitable.
That way you can get a good resemblance to the cartoon, but with all the proportions of a real person.

Monsoontide
Old 03-20-2004, 03:03 AM   #32
HapSlash

I started on Mohc for the Dark Forces mod, and had originally intended to go Joss Ackland all the way on it,... But, the other members on the team didn't see it that way. They wanted it to look like Ed Asner,... To me, he doesn't even fit the character.

And since there was no way in hell I was going to go off in that direction, I settled with a cross between Ackland and the game depiction. I got as far as the pictures shown on my website before they demanded the model, so I haven't worked on it since.

Quote:
Originally posted by monsoontide
I've seen Thrawn lurking on your site HapSlash, So I was going to say if you'd do him as an alternate officer that would be nice
I don't think I'm going to include any specific officers with the first release. I'll probably keep it just as generic officers for now, just as a simple replacement for the originals, and then release a pack with different heads later on.

Quote:

Those rank bars are included in the pack?
While it does look green in the pic, it is the standard gray uniform. I've seen the colors look different from photo to photo, anywhere from a pure gray, to a medium brown, to a deep green. But what really counts is how they appear in the movies.

And yes, it is one of the 7 different rank bars included with the model.

Oh, one more thing,... I have no idea who put those rank pages together, but both of them are pretty screwy.

Quote:
Originally posted by monsoontide
You modeling for a living yet?
The problem is that a lot of the people out there who are hiring are looking with people with some sort of degree,... I got me a big ol' degree in nuthin',... 'cept sitting on my ass.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:49 AM   #33
Strider74205

great looking model hap. soon we'll be able to replace all the imp forces with better looking versions

also i was looking around your site and i noticed you had started the new EPIII clone trooper and I was wondering if you needed any reference pics. I just got the issue of star wars insider that features the new clone trooper so I can take pics of the two images they have. One shows just the helmet (its on the cover so you'v probably seen it already), but the other one shows the full body and quite a few varients (i haven't seen it posted anywhere on the web which is why I thought you might not have seen it yet). I can e-mail them/it to you or post them.

I actually bought the mag thinking i might do a skin version of the new clone for your excellent stormtrooper model (I may try it anyway although the model won't be quite the right shape in a few places.)

Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I donít care, Iím still free. You canít take the sky from me. Take me out to the black. Tell Ďem I ainít cominí back. Burn the land And boil the sea. You canít take the sky from me. Have no place I can be Since I found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me.
Strider74205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #34
HapSlash

Yeah it would definitely help,... The only images I have so far is that cover shot, and then the EIII clonetrooper pre-production art that shows some possible color variations.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #35
HapSlash

I thought I'd post one more time before I called it a night. Heh, the sun's already coming up,...

But anyway,... I put together the texture for the new boots and added them to the model. I also got around to moving his belt up a little.

I went ahead and updated the image at the top of this page, and here's a close up shot of the boot.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #36
Mex
Not the brightest cookie.

Just an idea, could you place seperate pk3 files when you release the model? I don't want to replace the Imp officers but i want the keep the new ones.
Mex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #37
t3rr0r
Goblet of Fire

Quote:
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
I don't want to replace the Imp officers

overlord
Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #38
HapSlash

Quote:
Just an idea, could you place seperate pk3 files when you release the model? I don't want to replace the Imp officers but i want the keep the new ones.

Why would you want the new ones then,...?

Old 03-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #39
Autobot Traitor

Yeh really, the default impofficer is terrible! He doesnt even have the metal pin on his cap. I never heard of anyone who woudl prefer the JO crap over hapslash's improved stuff
Autobot Traitor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #40
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
If you're saying that you like Raven's Imperial Officer better... then what's the point of getting HapSlash's? I'm sorry, LOL, but I can't understand your logic.

And believe me, when this officer is done, you'll want to replace the original.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > Improved Imperial Officer Model