lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dark Forces 2 Mod
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #41
The_One
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally posted by Ackehallgren
Uhm.. what do one need for texturing? ´Cause,,, If all one needs is like... Photoshop... I'm in!
Well, Photoshop will only get you so far.

You need some talent too A basic understanding of the workings of alpha maps is also needed when creating textures. I believe there are a couple of tutorials on the Dark Forces Mod website, actually, which should help you get started

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #42
Disco Hips
Rookie

re: my mistake

first off, i'd like to apologise if i didn't make myself clear. i say 'if', but i know fine well that i didn't on hindsight.

to 'the one', i can see that my comment could be construed along the lines of "well, just reuse what ever old textures you can get, even the original source textures...", however i can only reiterate that this was not my original thought, even if it did come across like that. i'm with you entirely in recreating all the textures to a modern and contemporary standard; it kind of defeats the point of a recreation project if you don't take advantage of what modern engines can do. although i admit surprise that there isn't much more overlap in the textures used between the two games. i'd have thought that the streets of nar shardaa would use fairly identical texture sets, although i admit i am a green with respects MOD development, so i wont try and be too authoritative on a subject i know precious little about

however, the lesson i've learnt is to proof my comments a bit more next time.

take care.
Disco Hips is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #43
Ackehallgren

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One
Well, Photoshop will only get you so far.

You need some talent too A basic understanding of the workings of alpha maps is also needed when creating textures. I believe there are a couple of tutorials on the Dark Forces Mod website, actually, which should help you get started
Photoshop [Check]
Talent [uuhm... Check?]
That other stuff... [what?]

"The dark side? I've been there! Do your worst!"

~Kyle Katarn

http://www.kylekatarn.com
http://www.kylekatarnforum.cjb.net
Ackehallgren is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 07:23 AM   #44
Locutus_of_Borg
Rookie

Well at the moment the main concern should be arranging a website. And from the looks of things, not a whole has been done to accomplish this. Is Mr Katarn even still around? He hasn't posted in an awfully long time. Disappearing is not a particulary good thing for the leader of a Mod to do. For example the Voyager Insurrection (Star Trek: Elite Force) mod died because the leader/main scripter disappeared. So Mr Katarn, could we please have an indication that
a) Your still alive
b) What work has been done so far

Sorry for the long 'speech' but I've had things like this happen too many times before.
Locutus_of_Borg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #45
Ackehallgren

Is Katarn making the website too?

"The dark side? I've been there! Do your worst!"

~Kyle Katarn

http://www.kylekatarn.com
http://www.kylekatarnforum.cjb.net
Ackehallgren is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2004, 05:06 AM   #46
Disco Hips
Rookie

agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus_of_Borg
Well at the moment the main concern should be arranging a website. And from the looks of things, not a whole has been done to accomplish this. Is Mr Katarn even still around? He hasn't posted in an awfully long time.
i'll second this and ask for katarn to make an appearance, just to let us know what his next move is. has anyone heard anything from him recently?

regarding a website, it's important in so much as it can provide a 'face' to the project. which is good for recruitment. at the moment it is some wishful thinking on a message board. hardly inspiring stuff for potential coders, artists etc...
Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #47
Shamus
Rookie

Well, I would offer to host it, but I don't know if my poor little server could handle the load y'all would likely put it through. We could try it and see what happens...
Shamus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #48
reaper1576

Shamus are you using that import plugin from droid stuff? (Architecture is a major give away see i spent so much time on that map also it looks as if you used the plugin to convert the bmp's to jpg) If so be warned it will give you a lot of problems it doesnt import 100% and leaves a lot of holes in the maps. Also to cover our selfs with the EULA we created levels from scratch so you dont end up with LEC on your case. most important thing with this mod is gonna be how it looks people and extreamly high expectations and also want a highly polished professinal look.

reaper1576 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #49
Shamus
Rookie

No, I wrote my own tool (called, oddly enough, jkl2map) which does a much better job than what droid wrote (I didn't even know that droid had written a tool to do that until a week ago). I've said this before but I guess it bears repeating: It's not meant to create a finished product but to be a starting point. If I recall correctly, droid's tool didn't automatically import/translate 3DOs to MD3s, like jkl2map does:

The maps that jkl2map makes will need a lot of tweaking so that the end result won't be a literal copy of LEC's original levels anyway (I'm much more worried about cutscenes and music quite frankly!).

Even if you are starting from scratch, you still have to reference the original levels, so why not automate that process a little? :-)

BTW, are you one of the original DF2 MOD writers? If so, what did you guys get done? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #50
Disco Hips
Rookie

go for it

shamus, perhaps you should start to assemble a very basic website and advertise for talent, in lieu of mr katarn? nothing that couldn't be transferred at a later date if you don't fancy the burden.

from what the_one has intimated, texture artists are a scarce commodity, so that could be a valuable area to try and tap. coding will require some looking at, however from what i understand, the dark forces MOD have got folk scanning the paltry SDK they were given from raven/LEC so they may be the people to ask for advice.

apart from all that, take the bull by the horns and make the first step, you've probably contributed the most so far anyway (excluding reaper's team )

take care, and good luck
Old 07-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #51
Vorec
Rookie

textures

i can assist in innimate modeling and in texture recreation indeed i have already begun to do that though the shere number of textures makes it difficult o manage

Those who destory immortality pay an eternal price" holly lesli vengence of dragons
Vorec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2004, 07:18 AM   #52
Locutus_of_Borg
Rookie

Re: textures

Quote:
Originally posted by Vorec
i can assist in innimate modeling and in texture recreation indeed i have already begun to do that though the shere number of textures makes it difficult o manage
Do you mean 'in-animate', as in non-moving models?
Old 07-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #53
reaper1576

Quote:
Originally posted by Shamus
BTW, are you one of the original DF2 MOD writers? If so, what did you guys get done? Inquiring minds want to know! [/B]
Yes i am the orginal project leader we got guite a bit done there was a number of maps at differnt stages, large chuck of textures was done. also some very early versions of part of the intro movie that was recreated. we was close to finishing the demo for narshadda

reaper1576 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #54
Vorec
Rookie

yes i do mean in animate as in non moving ie.
Guns ammo the crow ships things like tht ive good experiance working with a variety of 3d modelers and i belive the models in jk3 were .3ds origannly ?
also what % of textures were recreated

Those who destory immortality pay an eternal price" holly lesli vengence of dragons
Old 07-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #55
Shamus
Rookie

OK, this might be a totally insane thing to do, but I've put up the Unofficial DF2 Mod Homepage up on my server. It's not much to look at ATM, but that will change in time (to those of you with webmaster aspirations: I will only accept valid, clean XHTML with CSS for styling--no flash, no Dreamweaver, NO FRONTPAGE! ).

I've listed this forum as the point of contact for the mod, and that seems good enough for now. I would ask that anything regarding the DF2 mod be kept in this thread--after all, this forum is dedicated to the DF1 mod.

Reaper: Would you be willing to pass on your assets?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:48 AM   #56
Vorec
Rookie

I can knock out servearal textures a day depending on complexity the container with the chevrons is giving me a little bet of a headache but nothing major
as i was going to do the texture recreaion for myself i would like to formaly offer my services to the df2 team

Old 07-08-2004, 11:52 AM   #57
Shamus
Rookie

Sounds good, but before I accept I'd like to see some of your new textures. I PM'd you with my email address, but if it didn't go through let me know and I'll PM you again.

EDIT: I sent you an email to the address you have listed below yesterday... Have you checked that account yet? I haven't yet received a reply.

EDIT: I finally got a reply late last night (mail's moving slow for some reason) but I still haven't gotten the one with textures. :-/

Last edited by Shamus; 07-10-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:52 PM   #58
Vorec
Rookie

it idnt go through send email to jereth_8@hotmail.com and ill send you some samples
also you can see a piece of my work at trescom .org under fan art
its a full 3d rendered sceane

Old 07-11-2004, 11:18 PM   #59
TheBrightLight
Rookie

Question

Is there a web site for the Dark Force 2 mod, if there is please tell me.

P.S. Thanks for listening.

Long live Star Wars games and mods.
TheBrightLight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2004, 05:26 AM   #60
Locutus_of_Borg
Rookie

The temporary site's here: DF2 Mod homepage
Old 07-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #61
Vorec
Rookie

Wink textures

shamus has seen some of my wokr and has granted me the chance to work on this team
so i should be able to do 5-10 textures a week unless i work flat out

Vorec

Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #62
J_Bond
Rookie

Has anybody heard something new from Mr. Katarn? He never wrote something in this thread again. What if he has given up?
J_Bond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #63
Shamus
Rookie

Well, if Mr. Katarn has given up, then those of us who are still interested in seeing this through will pick up the pieces and move forward.

With that said, the unofficial DF2 mod team is still looking for texture artists, modelers, and mappers. If you've got the goods and want to help out, step forward.

And on a completely (well, nearly completely) unrelated subject: Does anyone remember seeing any animated neon signs in either JO or JA like you see in the bar in the beginning of DF2? If so, which level is it in and where is it located?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #64
Disco Hips
Rookie

animated bar sign

Shamus, I distinctly remember seeing the sign that you mean posted on the forum boards of the now defunct DF2 remake project as headed by Reaper. Have a word with him about obtaining it or any other assets he may be able to spare.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #65
Locutus_of_Borg
Rookie

It looks like the site's gone down. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message. Are you re-doing it?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #66
Shamus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus_of_Borg
It looks like the site's gone down. I get a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message. Are you re-doing it?
It's not down, and I've only made one change to it so far (announcing Vorec as a team member). I'd chalk it up to my ISP going flaky for a bit, as is their wont. Usually the site is back up the next morning (morning as defined on the west coast of North America, that is ).

Disco Hips: What was the URL for this message board?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #67
Disco Hips
Rookie

Re: Shamus & DF2E messgae boards

Alas Shamus, I am quietly confident that the boards have long since ceased to exist.

By bringing attention to the fact I was hoping that you would be able to contact Reaper and ask him for whatever assets he is able to hand over. In a nice way of course
Old 07-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #68
The_One
The Dude Abides

If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help

Webmaster

Old 07-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #69
Nemios

About a Total Conversion of an old game

IMHO in every game the most important thing is gameplay. Graphics is important but not so much. Think about DF2: when it came out the graphics were already quite outdated but it was still a great game.

So I think the first and most important goal in this total conversion should be gameplay. From the posted screenshots this seems very promising. Thumbs up to Shamus! I'd really love to have a full set of the levels with NPCS, even with old textures. Those could be fixed in the following weeks/months.

A playable Total Conversion, even if not visually perfect, is a great achievment. Please don't "waste" precious time to make only a near-perfect first level with cutscenes and all. Stay on the target of a complete level set with NPCs. The exact NPCs charachters are not a priority as of new textures, IMHO. Every release should be a refinement of the last, not an add if you understand me. This way we could enjoy this TC from the start.

I hope I've been clear, it's not easy for me since I'm not english.

"I find your lack of first person lightsaber disturbing" - Darth Vader
"May the first person lightsaber be with you" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Nemios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #70
Vorec
Rookie

neaon signs

Dont mention rthose stupid signs the last one for thegribbly lizard is driving me insane
on another note ill redo the terxtures that dont quite tile.
Vorec *still working still recreating*

Old 07-17-2004, 02:05 AM   #71
SlicerDude
Rookie

If you're looking for the thread on this forum for the old project, you just have to set it to show posts further back, as it is no longer sticky like this thread and it was last posted to 4-6-04. It's still there, though, four pages of discussion and all. Perhaps we can glean some useful info from it.
SlicerDude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2004, 02:32 AM   #72
Shamus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One
If you guys are serious about forming a team, I might be able to sort out some team forum space for you on our own team forums. This is what the last group did, and I still have the archive of their posts stored in the forum.

E-mail me at theone@jediknight.net if you want me to throw something together for you It would at least give you a place to get things going, and you'll have the added benefit of the DFMOD team around to help
I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #73
The_One
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally posted by Shamus
I emailed you, but haven't heard back yet. If you're wondering, yes, UH is me and I think this is a great idea.
Yep, I got your e-mail, but I haven't had a chance to reply yet. This weekend I'll get something sorted out, and mail you back

Webmaster

Old 07-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #74
polardude1983
Lurker

jedi academy orjedi outcast mod?

i was wondering if this mod was for jedi outcast or jedi academy? because half the site says mod for jedi academy, and the other says jedi outcast?
I downloaded the mod and first tried it in jedi academy and it partially works. Then i installed jedi outcast and installed the mod. And it works. But the site is very confusing since you say it is for one game and it is actually for another game.
well the first level looks great cant wait for the rest of it.
polardude1983 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2004, 03:59 PM   #75
The_One
The Dude Abides

I am the webmaster, and to my knowledge, it says a "A Mod For Jedi Academy" in every instance on the website. The only place it does not say this is for the demo download, where it is clearly stated it is for Jedi Outcast. It is not my fault if you can't read, but when we moved to Jedi Academy, I went over the website with a fine toothed comb making sure all mentions of "Jedi Outcast" were corrected, with the exception of those where it was neccessary. The title bar says the mod is for JA, the banner says it is for JA, the forum banner says it is for JA, the about page says it is for JA...what more do you want?

Webmaster

Old 07-19-2004, 01:35 AM   #76
Locutus_of_Borg
Rookie

Besides which, this thread's for the Dark Forces 2 (aka. Jedi Knight) MOD. This'll probably be for JA as well anyway.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 PM   #77
Vorec
Rookie

can someone point me in the right direcxtion for making the glow and or transparent textures

Old 07-20-2004, 04:24 AM   #78
Scythe01
Lurker

Well I bought Jedi Academy 3 weeks ago and since discovering that there were no completed total conversions I decided that it would be a good time to learn to mod with a Q3 based game so I could help out with TC's and I wanted to make my own little mods of course. Anyway after downloading the SDK, tools, tuts and learning how jedi academy works by inspecting and modifying every file I have come to have a good understanding of it all.

So then I saw this thread and it caught my interest. So I would love to please join the team for Dark Forces 2. I can help with the coding/scripting, modelling and texture creation. I admit I am not a very good character modeller as I have not had much experience modelling characters but I am very good at weapon/item/vehicle modelling and skinning.

I think, therefore I am.
Therefore I must endure.
Therefore I must take appropriate actions to survive. - IG-88
Scythe01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #79
Vorec
Rookie

for any who are interested a sample colege of my texturing work is up at
http://www.r3-animated.com/vorec/SAMPLE.jpg

Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #80
SlicerDude
Rookie

Vorec:
It'd be nice to see those samples side by side with the originals (assuming that those are based on JK textures). Looks good, by the way.
SlicerDude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Dark Forces Mod > Dark Forces 2 Mod