lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why Lucasarts cancelled it
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
lagamorph321
Rookie

Why Lucasarts cancelled it

Hey all,
From the game reviewers and gaming magazine editors I've talked to, it seems like lucasarts has been ultra hush hush about why the game was cancelled. It is notable that simon jeffery's who was really behind the project when it started in 2002 was replaced by Mike Nelson, the now infamous target of the fan's Ire.
Anyone have more info?
lagamorph321 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Small cocks?
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
lagamorph321
Rookie

sheesh

I've talked some die hard fans that think it's just a market ploy, but I don't think that's the case. Clearly, management at lucasarts has issues.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
toenail1

they said it "wasn't the right time for an adventure game"

that means they think it wouldnt make a lot of money

THATS the reason

Cellar door
toenail1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
Brushguy
Rookie

See Adventure Gamers for the reason why they did it. The game got to the stage where they take it to the marketing machine, and the ignoramus running it said, "Hold it! This will never sell." and canned it.

I have faith though that the game WILL come back. If we make enough noise, they'll listen, sit up, and realise, "Hey. People actually will buy this game."
Brushguy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
lagamorph321
Rookie

NOISE NOISE NOISE!

Petition's up over 16000 and preorders are picking up some steam (15th ranked on Amazon.de's site from 6th this morning) due to a lot of german fans.

If it's money they're worried about, I think all the responses will eventually have an effect. Then, I can get on with playing the game instead of trolling the boards looking for news about the game.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
They cancled it because they want to make as much damn money as possible it's like ken lay took over lucas arts
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #8
LeChucks Pizza
Rookie

if you make a statement you should always back it up, did lucasarts actually back up the whole "Its not the right time"thing with figures because to come to this decision surely they would have researched the interest and market for it before deciding that there wouldn't be a market? I'm not sure anyone know if they did release some kind of facts to go with it?

If you want the picture of Bob back let me know! Join The BOB RULES TEAM - sorry i'm obsessed!
LeChucks Pizza is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #9
toenail1

Quote:
kind of facts to go with it?

the facts are that adventure games havent been doing that great lately, which is a BS excuse to cancel the game, that game was going to bring the adventure genre back to life

Cellar door
Old 03-14-2004, 01:27 AM   #10
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
i feel they cancelled it because they don't give a damn
and their run by *******s
Old 03-15-2004, 01:00 AM   #11
Dimensio
Rookie

If you feel that way, send 'em a letter (postal mail, not email) and tell them that they've given you this impression.

I think that they did it because Mike Nelson is a bonehead.
Dimensio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It's all star wars this
Star Wars that
Star wars on the friggen brain damnit
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #13
Philocleon

No kidding. When will they stop milking the $tar war$ cash cow for what it's worth? I have a feeling they'll continue to fart out $tar war$ game after $tar war$ game after Episode III, but it'll probably trickle out eventually.

Simia: Do you know anyone who lives in this alley?...I'm talking to you.
Ballio:I know one...myself.
Simia:You're lucky. As men go, not one in ten can say he knows himself.

----Pseudolus, by Plautus
Philocleon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 12:32 AM   #14
lagamorph321
Rookie

Well, it's just a fact of life that the Star Wars games are selling like crazy and great adventure games are receiving a lukewarm reception. Although, when was the last time an adventure game had generated as much buzz as Freelance Police? I read that the petition to save Obi-Wan (the really awful xbox title) had little more than 7000 sigs before lucasarts did an about face and rushed it onto the xbox. Oh the humanity!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 AM   #15
_loser_
Lurker

I suppose a dog and bunny crime-fighting duo does noud a bit lame... I can only assume whoever cancellend it hadn't played the original.

Look behind you... a three-headed monkey!
_loser_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 02:47 AM   #16
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
It doesn't sound lame at all, especially if you bring up the fact that Max where's no pants. Sex sells.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Skinkie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #17
alsnow
Rookie

it seems this might be the reason it was cancelled

LUCASARTS TO DEPLOY MERCENARIES™
LONDON, U.K. – March 15, 2004 – LucasArts officially announced today that it will deploy Mercenaries, an open-ended third person combat-action game this fall for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox video game system from Microsoft. Set in North Korea where a coup has plunged the troubled nation into chaos, an elite private military company has dispatched a lone mercenary to track down 52 fugitive members of the old hardliner regime --- before they can launch a nuclear attack.
alsnow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
LeChucks Pizza
Rookie

GRRR! Lucasarts just keep pissin' me off! They say that it isn't the right time well WHEN is the right time, there consumers won't just put down their starwars games and rush out to buy A Lucasarts adventure game pack. They won't know how it will go if they don't at least give more thought into it ask around and see how people find it.

If you want the picture of Bob back let me know! Join The BOB RULES TEAM - sorry i'm obsessed!
LeChucks Pizza is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2004, 05:11 PM   #19
Pork_Soda
Rookie

I say Lucas Arts should do some more market research to find out how many people still like adventure games. I think they'll be suprised that many people are looking for this type of game again, because everything is getting a little stale.

The true test of market research would just be to release the sonofabitch and find out how well Sam and Max will actually do on the market. When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)
Pork_Soda is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #20
Cult_of_Frank
Lurker

Money?

The fact is that adventure games sell as well as they always have, if not better. It's just that now that there are so many people in the market for computer games (compared to the 'hayday of adventure gaming' in the early 90s), that the masses buy into FPS' and other action oriented games making it look more desirable for developers.

In other words, a game released today would make as much money as it did then if not more, but compared to FPSes etc, it doesn't make much at all. So what? Does everything have to be about making the most possible money? What if restaurants only served steak and lobster?

I am extremely disappointed in LucasArts for dropping this because they won't make 'enough' money. And Grim Fandango 2. And, damn it, where's my sequel to Day of the Tentacle?!?!

End rant.
Cult_of_Frank is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #21
JBlink

What if they are waiting for competition? There are no charecters like Sam and Max in the gaming area and promoting a charecter is harder when there is no one to contrast them to. If Sam and Max and lets say, Demonic Lobster both had similar games coming out at the same time people would choose sides and debate which is better. That would provoke curiosity in people that normally would not talk about an adventure game.

But whatever, I still think those MMrpgs are to blame.
JBlink is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 03:11 AM   #22
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Let me just step in and say a sequal to Gram Fandago would be a horrible mistake.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #23
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I gotta agree with Skinkie on that one.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #24
Dimensio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinkie
Let me just step in and say a sequal to Gram Fandago would be a horrible mistake.
Well, yeah. I don't know anyone who has heard of the first Gram Fandago.

Last edited by Dimensio; 03-19-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #25
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

No! That's using the wrong complete reasoning. And your icon is nasty!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:29 AM   #26
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimensio
Well, yeah. I don't know anyone who has heard of the first Gram Fandago.
That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. Not only that but with Tim Schafer gone working at his own excellent company there is no one left at LucasArts with the balls to pull a sequal off correctly.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:24 AM   #27
Dimensio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinkie
That's what you think we mean? WRONG! Grim had a beautiful ending putting all the characters into the next stage of their life where inserting a sequal would just be forced and awkward. .

Grim? I've heard of a game with "Grim" in the title: Grim Fandango, and I wouldn't be able to accept a sequel either. However, I have never heard of the title "Gram Fandago", which was the subject of another's comment.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #28
Brushguy
Rookie

There are some games and movies that don't deserve to have weak sequels because the originals were so amazing and incredible that it would be impossible to top them and make a better sequel (example: GF doesn't need sequels. Rare pulling-offs of this would be MI2 and DOTT)
Brushguy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #29
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

OH, MR. FUNNY-SPELLING-AND-GRAMMAR-UP-MY-ASS PantS!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #30
toenail1

Quote:
When a game is this anticipated, you can't go wrong. (well you can... *cough* enter the matrix)

actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well

Cellar door
Old 03-21-2004, 02:47 AM   #31
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
well...my deal with Sam And Max is that it's not JUST an adventure game. You see all those games out there like Myst that are labeled adventure games...I don't think I laughed at Myst or any of its sequels...there arn't all that many FUNNY adventure games anymore. A game like Sam and Max would just be a joy ride the whole way through. Lucasarts showed it still knows how to make people laugh with Armed and Dangerous...(well...the company they contracted to make the game knows how anyway) I think a game like Sam and Max could bridge the gap to the casual gamers easily and thus sell well...but I don't think Lucasarts sees that. I think they see it as just an adventure game...and the adventure genre has really started moving towards the hardcore fanatics...which is why I think Sam and Max is a bit misrepresented in the eyes of LucasArts marketing, this game would be a laugh a second, far from what the adventure genre is putting out right now.

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #32
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by toenail1
actually, they didnt go wrong with enter the matrix

IT SUCKED!!! but somehow it sold well.... im still trying to do the math to figure how that game sold well
It didn't go wrong, and it sucked? Are you saying it was a good suck or what?

Old 03-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #33
toenail1

Quote:
t didn't go wrong, and it sucked? Are you saying it was a good suck or what?

no, im saying that it sold A LOT

i KNOW that it was more than half a million copies sold, probably about 750,000

Cellar door
Old 03-26-2004, 02:42 AM   #34
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
T his con fusing
Old 03-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #35
Wasobi33
Banned

Hell, if they make the game ill buy 10 copies, when they were originally going to make sam n max 2 before freelance police it looked more like the first game, now its looking more 3d...maybe there is some relevence here?
Wasobi33 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2004, 05:06 AM   #36
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Both versions of Sam and Max 2 have been in full 3D I believe.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #37
2cENTZ
Rookie

My view:

Alright so LucasArts has decided to cancel Sam & Max because there simply doesn’t seem to be a market for it. Well they do make a point, most of the modern adventure games are, well, pretty boring. You just get stuck on some island or some strange world and you have to find out how to get back home, or save your world or something messed over. There isn’t a market because for the most part the games suck, and could put you to sleep. Now the original Sam & Max, and most of classic LA games were enjoyable, fast paced and very funny! So yes maybe there isn’t a market, but sometimes one lone game can create a market.

Before Half-Life FPS were all the same. You were some guy with an overpowered shotgun that kills the all monsters that are trying to destroy mankind as we know it. The only thought process required, was when you had to look for the blue key to open the blue door. Then along came Half-Life, now there was a plot, there were people that you could interact and the AI was breathtaking for the era. HL changed the face of FPS and the entire gaming industry all together! Now why was HL so successful? Simple the company took a risk. They decided not to concern themselves with market trends the traditional FPS formula, and went with something new, something know as a major risk. And my god it ever pay off!! Now based on what little information was revealed, S&M: FP could have very well done the exact same thing as HL, only for adventure games. But it can happen if LA keeps the plug out of the wall.

After nearly a month of watching the signatures pile up on the petitions, of seeing forums boards become littered with outrage over this, after hundreds of letters, e-mails and phone calls to LA, after seeing major media sites like IGN and Gamespot and others express their disappointment, I have come to realize that LucasArts simply doesn’t give a rats ass but us. They are ignoring us; our voices are falling on deaf ears. But we are not like LucasArts, we are not afaird of failure. We, as gamers and fans of S&M, will keep fighting until someone listens!!!!
2cENTZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2004, 03:18 AM   #38
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Also that new preview mentions it was due out in Fall 04, which suggests they were behind schedule, but for Lucasarts, that's pretty standard, so I don't know why that would affect it.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:32 PM   #39
AkaNezumi
Lurker

Something I heard...

When this first happened I posted an article and comic on my site to express how completely upset I was over this. I got a response from someone who works in the game industry. (Which I can verify, she does.)

She said that she has friends at LucasArts and claimed I was flying off the handle and being offensive because the game "sucked" and thats why it was cancelled. She went on to say that they like these types of games just as much as us and were very upset at it being cancelled.

I have a few problems with this. I don't doubt that the people who worked on this do feel that way. I don't doubt that she was telling the truth to the best of her ability. However it doesn't add up that they would release a statement labout adventure games not selling if the real reason was that the game was not working.

Something is fishy and I think it goes back to what you were saying about the management being fukked.

also if the game did suck, then why is a legendary company making something like this? then they still have issues and I have issues with LucasArts. Grr.

The Art. The Comic. The Insanity.
http://www.onezumi.com
AkaNezumi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2004, 08:30 PM   #40
misanthrope
Rookie

I see that LucasArts really cares for thier consumers... ha! Instead of all that crap about finances, maybe they should tell us the real story. Or are they too embarrased to confess that they are a bunch of gutless pukes who care more about their asshair then the people who buy their games.

I defacate on LA.
misanthrope is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Sam And Max.Net > Sam & Max Discussion > Mainstream > Why Lucasarts cancelled it