lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Bastila Shan-WIP
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-03-2004, 11:09 PM   #41
Autobot Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
Alas, not a very funny one
Meh, I'm not payed to be funny
As for the model, I wouldn't really worry about any legal implecations. Your not

A)Claiming to have made it
B)Profiting from it
C)Stealing any buisness.

Since Bioware left it in lucasarts hands, I think you got a green light since their on good terms with the modding community.
Autobot Traitor is offline   you may:
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #42
Cazor

Porting models from other games into other games is illegal. it doesnt matter if you're making a profit from it or not, it means that a person can download a model from a game they havent bought. same goes with textures (unless the company specifically says it is okay for public use, like max payne 1 textures)

sorry, but it's not legal.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save it's species.
Cazor is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 05:00 AM   #43
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
Meh, I'm not payed to be funny
As for the model, I wouldn't really worry about any legal implecations. Your not

A)Claiming to have made it
B)Profiting from it
C)Stealing any buisness.

Since Bioware left it in lucasarts hands, I think you got a green light since their on good terms with the modding community.
Wishful thinking. It's easy to say "don't worry about the legal implications" when you're not the one who will get in trouble.

Quote:
From the KOTOR EULA.txt
The computer software, artwork, music, and other components included in this product, as such may be updated (collectively referred to as the "Software"), are the copyrighted property of LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., and/or its affiliated entities or divisions, and its licensors (collectively referred to as "LucasArts"). The Software is licensed (not sold) to you, and LucasArts owns and/or controls all copyright, trade secret, patent and other proprietary rights in the Software. You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software;....
I'm not a lawyer but even I understand what that says.

Amidala from Chop Shop is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 08:23 AM   #44
Autobot Traitor

That's true, I can't argue agains that. I'd just like to point out that the Hitman model has essentialy the same copywrite, and isn't even from the same publisher.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #45
darthviper107
Rookie

Still waiting, if they say no then that will stink.
darthviper107 is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 03:46 PM   #46
Lundquist

Damn man... I want this:P This will finally give me reason to dust off JA. How big is it (in mb)?

If Lucasarts says no, then I'll finally be convinced that they've lost they're minds.
Lundquist is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #47
ronbrothers

I hope they respond with a yes. They have to know this is in the spirit of supporting their games. I will take a good guess that all of us here have bought more than one of their releases over the years. Personally, I own 34 different LucasArts titles.

I've got a bad feeling about this...
ronbrothers is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #48
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by ronbrothers
I hope they respond with a yes. They have to know this is in the spirit of supporting their games. I will take a good guess that all of us here have bought more than one of their releases over the years. Personally, I own 34 different LucasArts titles.
You should know that own and bought is not the same thing...

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Originally posted by yaebginn
not at all, they came here[USA] to worship God however they wanted and it was built on the principals and rules of the Christian religion.
tFighterPilot is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #49
Kengo

Did you know that the lady who did the voice of Bastilla in KOTOR also did the voice of female Jaden in JA? Pointless bit of trivia there...

I'm glad you're trying to solve this complex legal stuff here, before you release it, as opposed to putting it on PCGM and leaving us with some massive argument to deal with!

I hope you get a positive response from them (it would be good for LEC) but I must admit, I don't hold out much hope myself. I hope to be proved wrong, it certainly won't be the first time!

------------------------------------------------
www.map-review.com
Kengo is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #50
darthviper107
Rookie

The file size is 5 MB, but that's because of the sounds, half are compressed and half aren't because my program screwed up. Ahh, I have to reinstall everything to my computer, so now I have to wait for 30 minutes to copy all my files back. But Hey!, School's out so that's OK. I might also, (if LA allows this model) do the Ebon Hawk as a vehicle, I have the model extracted already and it looks awsome, and only 4k polys. Well, if Lucasarts tells me to contact Bioware about it, I'll just put it up, because it will have been their own fault
Old 06-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #51
Thrawn42689

Here's what I recommend. Release it, and if they complain, take it down. That way, everyone wins. They wouldn't sue or anything like that without sending a threatening letter first.

Thrawn42689 is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #52
ancient_fett
Rookie

Is this going to be posted on PCGM only?

I ask because i for some wierd reason have serious trouble trying to download from there and it doesn't have to do with the servers, my dl's usually stop a few kbs before completing.

Don't get in my way
ancient_fett is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #53
Miko Reglia
Veteran

I bet if he gets permission, he'll submit it to jk3files.com and lucasfiles.com as well.

Jedi Knight of "The Jedi Order"
Miko Reglia is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #54
darthviper107
Rookie

Yep, it will be for pcgamemods.com, jk3files.com and lucasfiles.com. BTW, what other character from KOTOR would everyone like to use in Jedi Academy?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #55
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lundquist
Damn man... I want this:P This will finally give me reason to dust off JA. How big is it (in mb)?

If Lucasarts says no, then I'll finally be convinced that they've lost they're minds.
Quote:
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
LucasArts would be smart to allow intra-LucasArts product transfers, because it provides cross-promotion (advertising) of their other products. But no one ever accused them of being smart.
Carth would be a good Kyle\Jaden replacement.

Amidala from Chop Shop is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #56
ancient_fett
Rookie

Yah that would be cool, I have a question about KOTOR, i never finished the game, are there any mandalorians with similar armor to jango/boba fett?

Don't get in my way
Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #57
ronbrothers

Quote:
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
You should know that own and bought is not the same thing...
I know that. You missed my point anyway. I'm just demonstrating that so many of the users on this board are long time LucasArts customers. I've been a customer since Rebel Assault was released in 1993.

Quote:
Originally posted by darthviper107
Yep, it will be for pcgamemods.com, jk3files.com and lucasfiles.com. BTW, what other character from KOTOR would everyone like to use in Jedi Academy?
Oh man, there are so many. Personally, I'd like to see either the Sith troopers for stormie replacements or Canderous Ordo.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #58
Pnut_Man
Existential to the Core

If you could take the male main character heads and bodies (jedi robes, mandalorian armor, etc)

Make a new player species with all of those parts...

That would be beyond awesome.

- Formally hated, praised, and known as Pnut_Man
Pnut_Man is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #59
Crowy
Forumite

Location: on a peice of plywood with this sandpaper type stuff on it
personaly even though he was weak id love to see darth bandon...
oooh oooh!!! or jolee bindo!!!

In Loving Memory Of Corinne Brittan.

September 3rd 1986 - November 30th 2003
Crowy is offline   you may:
Old 06-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #60
darthviper107
Rookie

Bastila will be released when I get permission from Lucasarts. I would like to do some others, since it didn't take me very long to do Bastila and she looks really good. Mayber I could figure out how to do SP custom characters and do the player custom characters.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #61
ancient_fett
Rookie

Would you please make Mission or a new twi'lek model theres something just not right about Raven's and the Aayla model.

Don't get in my way
Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 PM   #62
Zappa_0
JOM Director

Viper I hope you can get permission to use them. And if you extract anymore to JA, you should get the male twi-lik. That would be a good step into making a Boc or even Bib Fortuna. Ah seeing even Canderous or Calo in JA would be awesome, well any person from KOTOR would be geat!

Zappa_0 is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #63
darthviper107
Rookie

Here's some other stuff I would like to do:

Sith Trooper
Mission
Juhani
Canderous
Custom Player(Heads, Bodies, etc)
Calo Nord
Manaan Aliens(forgot what they are called)
Mandalorian
Ebon Hawk.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:06 AM   #64
ronbrothers

Quote:

Sith Trooper
Mission
Juhani
Canderous
Calo Nord
Mandalorian
Ebon Hawk.
I can just see the renewed interest in JA if you could manage to get permission to accomplish this.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:09 AM   #65
Miko Reglia
Veteran

I'd like to see the player character heads with the Scout, Scoundrel, and Soldier bodies, as well as the Jedi robes too.

That would be awesome.

Jedi Knight of "The Jedi Order"
Miko Reglia is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 02:41 AM   #66
ancient_fett
Rookie

Thats the best idea i've heard yet, thats genius!

Don't get in my way
Old 06-05-2004, 03:21 AM   #67
Archonon
Rookie

I really hope you get permission to release the models darthviper. Do they have facial animations for single player support?

I can't seem to be able to get into pcgamemods for the last couple of days so I hope you also send it to jk2files/jk3files and or lucasfiles if you are able to release her and any future models.

The model I'd like to see after Bastila is definately the Sith trooper. Jolee and HK-47 are also in my list of faves. And the fish race from Manaan are the Selkath in case you still couldn't remember, they're pretty cool also.

Man I hope LA responds soon.

Archonon is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #68
ronbrothers

C'mon LucasArts... don't let us down.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:23 AM   #69
keshire
Veteran

Quote:
Heh, it'd release it and then if it got took down, it could always be downloaded via *Cough*Kazza*Cough* And the likes.
Quote:
Wishful thinking. It's easy to say "don't worry about the legal implications" when you're not the one who will get in trouble.
Lucas has been known to release the dogs of war before. Think before you speak.

*edit*
Plus the existance of this thread alone would be enough to convict him with the current laws.
*edit*

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
-Keshire of the Bleak Cabal.
keshire is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 08:31 AM   #70
Autobot Traitor

My god! How could you not do good old Hk-47? I'd love to run around and call people meatbags
Old 06-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #71
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
Quote:

Sith Trooper
Mission
Juhani
Canderous
Calo Nord
Mandalorian
Ebon Hawk.

O.K., the "Manaan Aliens" are called Selkath. Remember that now..........

Oh, and how the hell can you forget Darth Revan, Darth Malak, and HK-47?!?! They are the best!!

Otherwise, Bastila is looking nice!!

*Sigh*- I hate those copyright things...I'm sure Amidala will tell you why I hate them...actually, probably lecture me, or you, or something..........

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #72
darthviper107
Rookie

Ok, I'll do HK-47 also, but not Revan or Malak since they are already out. Although I could have done better on Revan. I'm not sure if I want to do the Selkath anymore, they are kind of stupid. Is there anyone else I should do? Also, should I release the characters in a single pack or individually? I'm going to release the new custom characters in a single pack because that would be stupid not to, plus they will be a bit confusing to make so... Anyway, still no reply from LA, the website said they would reply within 2 days and it's been more than 2 days so I don't know. Once I tried to email Raven and they never emailed me back so maybe it's like that.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #73
Autobot Traitor

I'd like to see master Vandar and a bunch of the generic jedi. Also, a variations in clothes for the models you release (Ie: canderous in normal clothes, armor, mandalorians attire)
Old 06-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #74
Mex
Not the brightest cookie.

Quote:
they would reply within 2 days and it's been more than 2 days so I don't know. Once I tried to email Raven and they never emailed me back so maybe it's like that.
I say release it, if they get unhappy it's entirely their fault.
Mex is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 06:35 PM   #75
darthviper107
Rookie

Ok, this is what I'd like to do, I would like to release it on pcgamemods.com for a bit, then if lucasarts replies and says no then it can be taken off, if they don't reply or if they do and say yes, then I will send it to jk3files.com and lucasfiles.com since it takes longer to get to those.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #76
Cosmos Jack

Quote:
You may not: ((1)) copy, distribute,
rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; ((2)) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; ((3)) transmit the Software over a network, by telephone, or electronically using any means, except in the course of your network multi-player play of the Software over authorized networks; ((4)) engage in matchmaking for multi-player play over unauthorized networks; ((5)) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or ((6)) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software. You may transfer the Software, but only if the recipient agrees to accept and be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you transfer the Software, you must transfer all components and documentation and erase any copies residing on computer equipment. Your rights in and to this license are automatically terminated if and when you transfer the Software.
Looking at the hole thing there of most of the stuff you can't do. It seems to me that you are not suppose to mod the game at all. KOTOR has the same crap and there was all kinds of talk about it not being able to be moded and there are all kinds of stuff to DL now. They have given no support to the moding community unlike they did for JKA.

On top of that anything you make for the game belongs to Lucas Arts and not to the one who makes it.. How do you have right to a subject you don't have the licence for and are in technical violation of by even making?

The one thing from JK2 that was never released was the Single Player source code. If they had all the mods where you could use 2 sabers or Saber staffs in MP we would have had in SP. That would have made JKA which is almost the same game as JK2 engine wise pointless to buy.

KOTOR 2 is in the making and looks a lot like KOTOR 1. As for all the fuss about moding KOTOR when it came out that might be why.

REMIMBER YOU CAN NOT !
(2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software.
(5) design or distribute unauthorized levels.
(6) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software.
Maybe we should all go talk to our lawyers?

-QUOTE------
Every cock fights best on his own dunghill.
Cosmos Jack is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #77
X_Fighter

Others that could or should be converted:

Master Uthar
Yuthura Ban
Dark Jedi
War Droid
Sith Starfighter
Saul Karath

You could release them in packs like e.g Good Guys, Bad Guys and your Generic Aliens.
X_Fighter is offline   you may:
Old 06-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #78
darthviper107
Rookie

Well, that goes for modding KOTOR, and I'm not modding KOTOR, so, right now it's uploading to pcgamemods, if they want it off, then they can take it off, otherwise, it will be there, or I can just put it on my website.

EDIT:Nevermind, i'll just upload it to my website and people can download it if they want to. And then we can wait for permission, and if it's not allowed I'll just take it off.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:07 PM   #79
Autobot Traitor

Pcgamemods is up and running now anywya
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #80
darthviper107
Rookie

Here is the link for the time it's there:

Bastila
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > Bastila Shan-WIP