lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor 2 same engine as Kotor
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Drog
Rookie

Kotor 2 same engine as Kotor

From what ive heard is that kotor 2 will use same engine as kotor
is this true? it is both good and bad.

1.Bad then its not even worth buying.

2.Maybe , because theni have learned all about its modding etc.

anyone knows the answer to this?

Proud Owner Of:
SW:Kotor
SW:Battlefront
SW:Jedi Academy
SW:Jedi Outcast
SW:Galactic Battlegrounds
SW:Galaxies
SW:Galaxies : Jump to Lightspeed
Drog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
i don't think it needs a new engine. you know the old saying 'if it aint broke don't fix it' well its very true in this case.

i didn't fall in love with kotor because of the graphics, even though they were good. no, i fell in love with kotor because of the fantastic gameplay.
as long as they put as much effort into that then who cares if it uses the same engine.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #3
Crowy
Forumite

Location: on a peice of plywood with this sandpaper type stuff on it
since obsidian are doing it it will be the same engine but with different animations and models or sometihng... i know bugger all of the technical side of games but thats just my guess!

or would this mean its a similar but modified engine??

In Loving Memory Of Corinne Brittan.

September 3rd 1986 - November 30th 2003
Crowy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Drog
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Siv
i don't think it needs a new engine. you know the old saying 'if it aint broke don't fix it' well its very true in this case.

i didn't fall in love with kotor because of the graphics, even though they were good. no, i fell in love with kotor because of the fantastic gameplay.
as long as they put as much effort into that then who cares if it uses the same engine.
Well there are people that would like one...
and who doesent want a more fixed engine?
just to improve the old one..

Proud Owner Of:
Old 06-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Poggle
Forumite

I think the old engine is fine wouldn't mind some improved graphics and more animations but if the story is as compelling i wouldn't complain about an identical engine
Poggle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Re: Kotor 2 same engine as Kotor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drog
From what ive heard is that kotor 2 will use same engine as kotor is this true?
Yes it is. With a few additions.

Quote:
1.Bad then its not even worth buying.
LOL. If that is what you think, then by all means it is your perogative to not buy it. Just remember not to come here and see all the fun we are having.

Quote:
Well there are people that would like one... and who doesent want a more fixed engine? just to improve the old one..
The game will have additions like more animations and things like weather effects. It sounds like you are mistakenly thinking that better graphics and animations = improved engine. It is not so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Siv
Oh, come on Siv! You know pretty games that suck ass are way better than non-revolutionary games that are extremely fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by Poggle
I think the old engine is fine wouldn't mind some improved graphics and more animations but if the story is as compelling i wouldn't complain about an identical engine
There are improved graphics and animations. This is not wholely dependant on the graphics engine. The engine provides abilities to do certain things, but the quality of the models and animations is dependant on the artists.

Models are fairly independant of the graphics engine, as are the animations. The graphics engine limits what you can do, and newer engines allow you to do more things. But it is still up to the artists to take advantage of that. A game using the Doom III engine can still have models that look like crap, and older engines can still mave models that look fantastic.

The animations look like they do because that is how the artists and animators wanted them to look, not because they are using a certain engine.
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Drog
Rookie

Re: Re: Kotor 2 same engine as Kotor

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
Yes it is. With a few additions.

LOL. If that is what you think, then by all means it is your perogative to not buy it. Just remember not to come here and see all the fun we are having.

The game will have additions like more animations and things like weather effects. It sounds like you are mistakenly thinking that better graphics and animations = improved engine. It is not so.

Oh, come on Siv! You know pretty games that suck ass are way better than non-revolutionary games that are extremely fun!

There are improved graphics and animations. This is not wholely dependant on the graphics engine. The engine provides abilities to do certain things, but the quality of the models and animations is dependant on the artists.

Models are fairly independant of the graphics engine, as are the animations. The graphics engine limits what you can do, and newer engines allow you to do more things. But it is still up to the artists to take advantage of that. A game using the Doom III engine can still have models that look like crap, and older engines can still mave models that look fantastic.

The animations look like they do because that is how the artists and animators wanted them to look, not because they are using a certain engine.
Prime dont try to manipulate my knowledge of gaming engines
that would be so wrooong

Proud Owner Of:
Old 06-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #8
Oblivion Zeta
Rookie

OMG TEH GRAPHICS ARENT LIEK DOOM 3 111??? SUX0R!!!!
Oblivion Zeta is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Kotor 2 same engine as Kotor