lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Are clans tied to a specific character set ?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-18-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
soopanova
Lurker

Question Are clans tied to a specific character set ?

Hello folks !

I'm a touch confused here.

I play a lot of SOCOM II - a game in which clans are not tied to being "terrorists" or "seals" - you can choose either.

I'm wanting to start a Battlefront clan and I've noticed that a lot of the early sites have a "rebel" theme or a "empire" them etc.

So I guess my question is - are the clans in Battlefront going to be locked into a specific character set or will your clan be able to freely switch from being "rebels" one game and then "emperialists" the next?

Such information will greatly impact how I design my site. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the clarification.
soopanova is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2004, 06:34 AM   #2
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Clans are not neceserally playing only one faction. ORG for example is playing with all.

Minister of Outer Rim Garrison, a Dutch multigame clan
Website - Forums - Email
Mountainforest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
VanLingo
Banned

What I gather from hands-on previews is that when you first log in, you choose an army and a class. Then the server list is filtered to show you available games with those parameters.

So if your clan is a Rebel clan (as an example), then when you log on, you pick Rebel -- and the server list will show you available Rebel vs Empire games.

Oh, and -- SOCOM 2 rocks. The best clan game so far.
VanLingo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2004, 04:33 AM   #4
soopanova
Lurker

So your clan IS defined by faction? - in other words, all your clan members have to sign on as the same faction and your clan can only battle enemy factions. Do I have this right?

I only ask because there seems to be a lot of EMPIRE clans - which indeed seems like one of the coolest factions. However, if it is not possible for an empire factioned clan to battle another empire factioned clan then statisticaly they would have fewer games to choose from.

Hopefully a more detailed account of this will be revealed before I start pre-production on my clan and its website. I'm leaning towards those Trade Federation droids . . . one of the few cool character groups of the new trilogy - along with Darth Maul.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
VanLingo
Banned

Yea, everyone will have to sign in as the same army to play together.

Of course, to change, you just log out and back in as another.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Sharpshooter
Rookie

What about for prequal battles?
Sharpshooter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
Xirion

what will HoD been playing as?

The Old Republic
Xirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
In answer to the thread title, I would say it depends entirely on how the clan is set up in the first place. Some clans require you to play as part of the same team - other's don't. I've played on a few clan servers recently (with Call Of Duty), and sometimes the clan members will all switch to one side, other times there is an even balance of team members on both sides. It may depend on whether a clan needs to make up numbers on the opposing team.

When it comes to things like leagues and inter-clan battles, then of course you would be required to play all as one team - but I think it's here that clans have to be more flexible in which side they choose, because as you say, you can't have Imperials vs Imperials. So, while a clan may choose to play as Imperials most of the time - a good team will have the necessary flexibility to learn and become proficient in the other factions.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #9
yaebginn
Banned

first choice is republic, then rebels.
yaebginn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #10
soopanova
Lurker

Thanx Guys!

That does clear some things up. I'm wondering how easy they will make it to switch factions on the fly. As I mentioned before, I play a lot of SOCOM2 but as there are only two factions ( seals or terrorists) changing sides requires the press of one button.

I'm so freakin' hyped about this game!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
yaebginn
Banned

lol, I know how you feel. It's just going to be so cool.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM   #12
Sharpshooter
Rookie

Please Yaeb! Andrew is to crazy and not smart enough to run for president!

This has been a Bart toon presentation, in association with ay cerumba entertaniment.
Sharpshooter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
yaebginn
Banned

a different andrew, this one is a member of the IEF.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
VanLingo
Banned

HoD will mostly be Clones and Rebels (especially since either side can pilot all of the vehicles).
Old 06-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #15
boranchistanger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter
Please Yaeb! Andrew is to crazy and not smart enough to run for president!
And leader of the IEF mind you! It's wierd, Yaeb's already campaigning against me even though I'm not planning on running until either the 2036 or 2040 election. ANother sad part is that I am a republican and so is he!

-Boran (Andrew)

Leader of the Imperial Expeditionary Force, the first clan created for Battlefront.

www.eforceclans.com
boranchistanger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #16
yaebginn
Banned

Hey, if I campaign now, and an Andrew runs in 2040, then maybe the voters will take it as me seeing into the future and will vote against you. It's worth a try.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:29 PM   #17
Ch1cago88
Rookie

Well I dont know about other clans, but l-LoP-l plays multiple games like Battle field Vietnam, and CnC Renegade. So if you want to streach your clan to other (nonsw) games I would suggest you keep it off a Star wars look.
Ch1cago88 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 AM   #18
Xirion

sticking to one team all the time sounds boring
im sure TGI will do all!

The Old Republic
Xirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #19
Schetter
Rookie

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but clan 'affiliation' is limiting your clan to a 1/4 of the total SW:BF experience, not to mention making sure that you won't be competetive in any league/tournament whatsoever. If you're content to just pub it up playing one faction for the entire life of the game, that's your choice I guess, but you're then missing out on a lot, and it just seems pretty silly.

Van, I would hope your observation proves incorrect in terms of 'locking into' a faction AND class before you even get into a server. I'm sure you'll be able to use filters to find servers that are playing the maps/factions you want to play, but it is essential that players be able to swap sides to even teams (or uneven, if they're especially retarded) and especially essential that players be able to switch classes after a death/suicide before a respawn. In a game of BF I will typically switch player classes several times throughout a round and spawn in with a class that is needed most at the time. Having to 'lock in' makes no sense at all.
Schetter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > Clans Forum > Are clans tied to a specific character set ?