lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Is Revan Male or Female
Male 176 59.86%
Female 96 32.65%
I don`t care.... 22 7.48%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Revan....Male or Female??
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #121
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I generally like playing LSF, mainly because I like Carth and because I hate the 'kill, kill, and more indiscriminate kill' you have to do to get to DS.
However, I like to play every type at least once to get as much of the story as possible. You can't get some of the backstories on Disciple/Handmaiden (some of which contributes to the main story) without playing the opposite gender.

Other than that, I'm not going to worry about the gender of pixels.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #122
Mario1
Rookie

Meh the thing I posted was just my opinion.Sorry if I offended anyone. I downloaded the cutted Alternate DS Female Ending and it was kinda cool but It just wasnt REVAN I really dunno why but I always view Revan as male.

Quote:
Are you also a former Jedi, force sensitive, altruistic (if LS) and skilled warrior?
Yes.

LOL JK!
Mario1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #123
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
I say male. Just because.

Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #124
Revan435
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpb3
Gee, do you think?
u dont have to get so testy.

i really dont care about all of this canon bs just play the game and be whatever sex u want to be. who cares

Revan435, did you even read the warning by ChAiNz.2da? The last post on the last page? I think not.

You are continuing to post off-topic and attempt to argue with mjpb3 after a warning was issued to post on-topic and to cease with the personal attack posts, this only serves to continue this. For the future you need to better follow a Moderators advice or your stay here will be a short one. Consider yourself warned.
-RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 07-12-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Revan435 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #125
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

I enjoy playing as all four Revans (LS/DS, Male/Female), though I think I prefer playing female a bit more than male. As some others have stated, there aren't that many strong female characters in the star wars universe (I think they almost made a female sith lord in Ep III, but it never went through), so I think it's great you can play as a gal in Kotor. Though, I think I prefer breaking Carth's heart by going DS rather than staying LS. I'm so evil.....
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #126
Mario1
Rookie

Quote:
(I think they almost made a female sith lord in Ep III, but it never went through)
Thats supershadow crap. NEVER mention supershadow crap in my presence.
Mario1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #127
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1
Thats supershadow crap. NEVER mention supershadow crap in my presence.
Actually you're both wrong. There was a plan for Darth Sidious' new apprentice in Episode II to be female, but they scrapped the idea, and they used the concept art from it to create Asajj Ventress.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #128
Allronix
Forumite

Another reason for female Revan being my preference comes on Leviathan. We know Malak wants Bastila. We know Saul is going to end up as a corpse if he permanantly damages Bastila. However, the Republic soldier? Not a Jedi, and therefore of no importance to Malak. And the former lieutenant of Karath's? Hell yes, he's the one who's going to get the worst of it.

As for "he" and "Dark Lord?" Well, that armor conceals just about everything. So, if one does not know Revan, then it's simple to make the "A woman can't" assumption and believe it's a man under there. This works nicely to a female Revan's advantage, BTW. Kreia commented in K2 about how Revan could easily change clothing, blend in anywhere, and how useful it could be. Looking for a man in Jedi robes and packing a lightsaber? Well, it means you won't pay any attention to the slight woman in a combat suit and packing a blaster sneaking out the back.

Exile? He (pardon me, my preference is male Exile) appears to have been much more visible to the rank and file. Revan concealed anything - face, gender, alignment - under robes and masks. (Which made it a lot easier for the Jedi to pull off the change in ID). Revan and Malak led the war while concealing their hunt of the Forge. Exile was the public face of the Jedi who went to war. The Mandalorians recognize him. A former soldier on Peragus recognizes him. Bao-Dur recognizes him.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2006, 05:02 AM   #129
The Sith'ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix
As for "he" and "Dark Lord?" Well, that armor conceals just about everything. So, if one does not know Revan, then it's simple to make the "A woman can't" assumption and believe it's a man under there. This works nicely to a female Revan's advantage, BTW. Kreia commented in K2 about how Revan could easily change clothing, blend in anywhere, and how useful it could be. Looking for a man in Jedi robes and packing a lightsaber? Well, it means you won't pay any attention to the slight woman in a combat suit and packing a blaster sneaking out the back.
That is logically true, but thinking carefully, people in the Kotor saga should all know if Revan is a male or female since he (let's just use he for convenience) is such a big figure at that time, hero of the republic, then a powerful Dark Lord, etc. Even his face can't be seen, there's still his voice. And at that time those who're hunting down Revan are Malak's pawns, so it's reasonable that they Do know Revan is a male or female, given that Malak does know.

Why does Revan disguise him/herself in robes and hood? That's pretty too heavily armoured for a jedi. It is as if he/she doesn't want people to know his/her real identity: gender, face, etc. Of course it has to be designed that way to fit the storyline, so that no one recognizes him/her as the dark lord when he walks around. But maybe there's another reason, that is people tend to underestimate a woman, and with a mask like that Revan, even if she's a she, does seem more powerful and convincing. And Revan as a mastermind must understand the fact that sometimes looks matter more than anything.

But personally, though I'm female I like to play Revan as male, because I think the Bastila romance is better executed than the Carth romance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix
Playing male, I never quite was able to ditch the suspicion that Bastila's "scuccumbing to my charms" wasn't more due to a combination of bottled-up hormones (it's not like she got to date in the Enclave) and the Force Bond.
I don't think so. I think the developers tried to show that it wasn't so by adding the Bastila's mother quest, to show that Revan and Bastila did go through something before they fall for each other. After all, it's just a game and the journey just isn't long enough to manifest exactly how much they went through together. Personally, I think it suffices to be a beautiful love story when Revan redeemed Bastila with love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco
I'm biased towards Revan Being male.

That being said, before I heard anything about KOTOR2's storyline
I thought a female Revan + the cut out LS ending would wrap up the story of Revan nicely.
What of K2 makes a female Revan more suitable? I often hear people say that but I don't understand why, anyone can explain?

Also, what's the cut out LS ending? Where can I take a look at all the cut material in K2?

Thanks.
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #130
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by revanchow

What of K2 makes a female Revan more suitable? I often hear people say that but I don't understand why, anyone can explain?

Also, what's the cut out LS ending? Where can I take a look at all the cut material in K2?

Thanks.
What I meant was that the story was being continued in K2. In the cut lightside ending:
spoiler:
At the end of K1 instead of killing Carth, he convinces her to return to the light. They have to kill Bastila and end up going down with the Starforge. It kinda reminded me of Vader's sacrifice in ROTJ.

There was also a mod that restored this ending.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #131
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I've always played a male Revan, so I think he is male. It suits him.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #132
The Sith'ari

Quote:
What I meant was that the story was being continued in K2. In the cut lightside ending:
spoiler:
At the end of K1 instead of killing Carth, he convinces her to return to the light. They have to kill Bastila and end up going down with the Starforge. It kinda reminded me of Vader's sacrifice in ROTJ.
The story is not being continued in K2 in this way...there'd be no Bastila and not even Carth and Revan then...wouldnt there?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #133
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
The story is not being continued in K2 in this way...there'd be no Bastila and not even Carth and Revan then...wouldnt there?
To quote myself.
Quote:
What I meant was that the story was being continued in K2.
Was referring to Revan's story.
Quote:
That being said, before I heard anything about KOTOR2's storyline
I thought a female Revan + the cut out LS ending would wrap up the story of Revan nicely.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #134
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Revan and the Exile should both be Male.
I know you've had a lot of replies about your comments, but I have to make my say just so you can see that what you think can't happen, has actually happened in the Star Wars Universe.

Quote:
Can you actually see a Female Revan leading the Republic and several Jedi to destroy the Mandalorians?!

Can you actually see a Female Exile being a General that gave the order for activation of the Mass Shadow Generator?!
If you watch ROTS, during Order 66, you can see Aayla Secura, and Stass Allie (both female Jedi), Generals in the Clone Wars. Luminara Unduli would have been a 3rd female Jedi shown killed by her Clone Trooper squad if that scene wasn't cut from the movie. Again, she was a General.

Quote:
A Female Revan returning as Dark Lord of the Sith to destroy the Jedi?!

A Female Exile killing 3 Sith Lords?!
Yes I can.

For one, Jedi being powerful was never based on the gender, rather than the amount of Midi-Chlorians they had in their body (watch TPM to understand this better). If a female Jedi has a very high count, she'll defiantly have potential to be a very powerful Jedi, regardless of gender. This applies to race, color, species, etc. Those things don't matter, it's the midi-chlorian count.

In general, why else would the Jedi Order use the female gender is they weren't capable of being great Jedi?

DID YOU KNOW??? That at one point George Lucas almost the role of Luke being a female (of course with a female name) and have a female be the Jedi hero (would have been an interesting idea since woman tend to be more compassionate than men generally and it would have fit well with the storyline of redeeming Anakin). You can discover this fact if you have the EMPIRE OF DREAMS segment on the bonus DVD you get with the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD that was released on September 21, 2004.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #135
The Sith'ari

Good illustration, Shem. Not being biasedly supportive of my own gender but I see no reason why a female can't be a dark lord of the sith.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #136
Force Lightning
Rookie

Quote:
Good illustration, Shem. Not being biasedly supportive of my own gender but I see no reason why a female can't be a dark lord of the sith.
I agree. I mean, look at Darth Traya...

Force Lightning is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #137
The Sith'ari

[Kreia]With the Force nothing is impossible. [/Kreia]
With the help of the Force, even a woman could fight as ferociously as a man.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #138
Lord Konohomaru
Rookie

Well you all know that Revan is officially a male right? In the cutscenes for one, he has a male body, reguardless of how his face looks (that is if you didn't download the female body for cutscenes mod).
Lord Konohomaru is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #139
mjpb3
Forumite

Revan is not "officially" anything other than what sex you choose for her/him. Revan is a customizable PC.

"Canonically" Revan is a LSM, but all that amounts to is that if Revan is written about in any form then s/he will be referred to as a LSM. That is all.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨My Mods¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Disciple FTW!
There is no canon. There is only Revan.
FYI: I am a girl, and you may call me Janet.
It's all just fun and games until the flying monkeys attack.
mjpb3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #140
Vaelastraz
Veteran

Male.
I cannot even imagine a female Revan.

Kotor is one of the few RPGs where I can strongly identify myself with the player character. And I am male...

Also to me, Revan is a male name. AND, the Bastila-Revan romance is just to much better than the Carth-Revan romance... the bond they share, that is just meant to be between a male and a female person, dont you think?

If I was female it would probably be the other way around.

Since i cant really indentify myself with the Exile, in "my" Kotor she is female.

About those saying Revan is canonically (spelled right? i guess not..) Light side male, all i can say is: Revan is whatever you choose him/her to be.

I would be pissed if Revan was considered to be female by developers, and I suppose female players would be as pissed if Revan was considered to be male.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #141
Lord Konohomaru
Rookie

Thats what I ment cannonically. I'm not trying to anger anyone. I actually play as a female just as much as male and a lot more people do the same so sorry if I offended you.

My Fanfics:
Clone Trooper Jedi
Old 07-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #142
mjpb3
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Konohomaru
Thats what I ment cannonically. I'm not trying to anger anyone. I actually play as a female just as much as male and a lot more people do the same so sorry if I offended you.
I'm not offended. Really. I would just like it to be clear to everyone that just because Revan is supposedly "canonically" a LSM, it really doesn't amount to zip unless Revan is written about in some form dealing with Star Wars.

All of the folks who always throw out the statements that begin, "Canonically, Revan is a male... blah blah blah..." or "Officially, Revan is a dude... blah blah blah..." ( ) apparently don't know or don't care that all the "canonization" of Revan means is that in reference Revan would be referred to as male... and that's about it.

Disciple FTW!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #143
Raven_Onasi
Rookie

Female, because I am female. I tried playing as a male character but it was just to weired!! before I even got off Taris I had to start over as a Female character.

Life is pain, highness, anyone who says differently is selling something. ~ Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride)

Pain is really the only reliable means by which truth may be obtained. Or so I choose to believe. ~HK-47

I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent – usually from warriors. ~ Carth
Raven_Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #144
Lord Konohomaru
Rookie

What we need is better faces for female Revan, I know there is some mods, but we really need some good looking faces for them. The default faces are, well, not very good. If anyone can do this please do and contact me. Sorry for going off topic (is this technically off topic?).

My Fanfics:
Clone Trooper Jedi
Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #145
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Male
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #146
StarShadow
Lurker

Female--wouldn't buy K3 or any book saying otherwise. Period.
StarShadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #147
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Machs Nichs to me. I Like playing both genders the light side path.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #148
Phantom Joker
Rookie

Quote:
"Canonically" Revan is a LSM, but all that amounts to is that if Revan is written about in any form then s/he will be referred to as a LSM. That is all.
Don't know where this "canon" came from. Maybe I missed the boat somewhere... My copy of TSL defaults to DSF, unless my PC corrects Atton.

Personally though, I've played both, but I prefer to play a male Revan. 'Course, that's probably because I have some trouble role-playing the part of someone who has the hots for Carth.

*shiver* Gives me the heebie-jeebies...

Missing: One warship with full complement. If found please contact W. Bligh.
Phantom Joker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #149
mjpb3
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Joker
Don't know where this "canon" came from.
Wiki/Wookieepedia - need I say more?

Quote:
Personally though, I've played both, but I prefer to play a male Revan. 'Course, that's probably because I have some trouble role-playing the part of someone who has the hots for Carth.

*shiver* Gives me the heebie-jeebies...
Maybe for you, but I found the romance with Carth lots more gratifying than the Bastila/male PC romance.

But then again, I am female so I would like the Carth romance better, right? That's the beauty of how Bioware wrote and presented the different storylines for both versions - they appeal to their targeted audience precisely as they should.

That is why "canonizing" either/or version of Revan is ridiculous. It unequivocally shuts out the other half of how the story plays out for Revan. That is why I am completely against any "canonization" of Revan (and/or Exile).

Disciple FTW!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #150
Phantom Joker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Joker
Don't know where this "canon" came from.
Quote:
Wiki/Wookieepedia - need I say more?
Ah, of course. How silly of me not to know...

Missing: One warship with full complement. If found please contact W. Bligh.
Phantom Joker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #151
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
That is why "canonizing" either/or version of Revan is ridiculous. It unequivocally shuts out the other half of how the story plays out for Revan. That is why I am completely against any "canonization" of Revan (and/or Exile).
Actually according to Prime both sides of the argument on the 'canon' LSM Revan issue is C-level Cannon, the canon LSM Revan statement by LLC is the same identical level of 'canon' that the game itself is, so the so-called canon Revan doesn't really take anymore special precedent, as the game is free to contradict it. One side cannot outrank the other... just like I have always stated, Revan is whatever we want him/her to be.

It is a guideline for other EU writers nothing more.

While I dislike the word canon used in reference to anything EU, it is something that must have sprung into existence from fanboys pestering LLC, and something we have to live with. Of course I still use the word 'apocrypha' in reference to the EU so I'm just out of date I guess.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #152
mjpb3
Forumite

Sorry, RedHawke. I am not up on all my Star Wars canon terminology.

Disciple FTW!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #153
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Sorry, RedHawke. I am not up on all my Star Wars canon terminology.
Neither am I, but you hang around Prime long enough the stuff starts to sink in!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #154
Black Jesus
Rookie

Male. Makes more sense (I played as both)

±BlackJesus±

"They call me White Devil, Black Jesus. Heaven closes, Hell freezes."
Where Else Am I? (link)
Black Jesus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #155
Anglu
Rookie

Well, I always choose a female avatar, if I have the possibillity to do so. Just because I'm 100% female...
But my brother preferes a female Revan, too. He says, that the women just look better than the boys - and always playing a male Char get's boting with the time (He mostle plays one-gender-games).
We also agreed to use a female Revan in our Fanfiction. We called her Diotima and mostly I think of Revan as Dio...

There's no life before coffee...

And if you find any mistakes of writing, typing or translating, you may keep them.
Anglu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #156
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Um... how about male cuz it's CANON. Anyways, I can't stop luvin ur LEGO Revanchow

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 AM   #157
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Qel-Droma
Um... how about male cuz it's CANON.
I strongly suggest you read my post on this above...

Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #158
Anglu
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Qel-Droma
Um... how about male cuz it's CANON. Anyways, I can't stop luvin ur LEGO Revanchow

who cares about things like "canon"? *lol* Comeon, if everything in this gane had to follow the canon, you wouldn't have the possibillity to choose a gender anyway!

And if you find any mistakes of writing, typing or translating, you may keep them.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #159
Jediphile
Persona non grata

What's is or isn't canon only has, or rather should have, relevance only to sources like novels or references like the chronologies or guides or whatever. In the games themselves, it should always be optional, and I'll be more than upset if I see a hardcoded Revan or Exile in ANY game! The were both male to me, and who can tell me I "played it wrong"? Besides, Revan's gender and alignment was still optional in KotOR2, so it - and the Exile's - should be in any subsequent game where it has relevance as well.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #160
Anglu
Rookie

Exactly my thoughts! If there way only one "right" way to play this game and you had to follow this, you also could watch a movie!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Revan....Male or Female??