lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Grim Fandango: The Dark Side of LucasArts???
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
Lecter 66
Rookie

Grim Fandango: The Dark Side of LucasArts???

LEC have been known to make cheerful and humourous games (Sam & Max, Monkey Island, etc) I mean the ADVENTURE games, not the Star Wars franchise.

However Grim Fandango is not cheerful really, in fact it could be quite frightening to an untrained eye: The sadistic baddies, undead corpses and who can forget the disgusting sprouting (shudder)

Also GF have also killed off several characters for the first time, Monkey Island has never had a character destroyed in the arms of the hero. Manny saw Lola being sprouted having a morbid and emotional effect on the game- no one is safe, even when your dead.

Though Manny is dead (and is not harmed) he comes to some very near after-death experiances, such as the final scene with Hector. Guybrush has also passed-by his own death-like experiances with a funny and sometimes riduculous ways.

Was LucasArts playing deathly with this game, being set in an after world with dark corners and smoking?

(at least the jokes were good, though sometimes adult)

On a related subject I must confess to yo: I'm giving serious thought to eating your wife

Hannibal Lecter, HANNIBAL 2001
Lecter 66 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
JofaGuht

I never really thought about that. I think that was just the Noir style of it all. I thought that some of the sexual innuendo in the dialogue is what really surprised me.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > Grim Fandango: The Dark Side of LucasArts???