lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Which scenes are changed on the DVDs, and how?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #41
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Arrow Here's some observations...UPDATED

Post removed.

See the Sticky Thread (expanded and updated) instead!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...hreadid=136494

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 09-26-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #42
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm not sure about maybe if it's the film itself but in the 92 vhs of ANH lukes saber had kind of a green tint to it, but the scene in obi-wan's hut it was just the white beem with an occasional blue-green glow.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 11:43 PM   #43
FiEND_138

A quick question, sorry if it's been answered already I just skimmed the thread.

In ESB, when Lukes running out of the cave from the wampa<?> on Hoth & you hear his saber go off but it's still on in the shot. Did they fix that? I realize it's a pretty pointless question as I'll have them this weekend, it's just that they didn't fix it in the SE which surprised me & i'm just curious if they did here

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #44
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally posted by FiEND_138
A quick question, sorry if it's been answered already I just skimmed the thread.

In ESB, when Lukes running out of the cave from the wampa<?> on Hoth & you hear his saber go off but it's still on in the shot. Did they fix that? I realize it's a pretty pointless question as I'll have them this weekend, it's just that they didn't fix it in the SE which surprised me & i'm just curious if they did here
Nope. It's not fixed. And I never even noticed that gaffe all these years! Ha. Good eye (and ear), there! ; )

It seems like most of the gaffes noticed by fans over the years simply haven't been touched. But the casual viewer won't notice them anyway in most cases.

(Updated the list of changes above)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 09-23-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:13 AM   #45
FiEND_138

Thanx for the answer, I've been wondering if they'd touch it up or not since all the images & what not started poppin up on the net. Perhaps an 'easter egg' or GL & Burtt need to get their eyes/ears checked......... Well, they've fixed most of the visuals, maybe the audio will be next for the 'Ultimate Editions'

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 01:38 AM   #46
Kurgan
Headhunter

Updated my post above with the changes I found.

Someone pointed out to me on another forum how (oddly enough) Luke's saber is FIXED to the proper blue on disc 4. Why they didn't use this effect in the actual scene in the movie I'll never know...

Compare:

It's also too bad that they didn't include the PC demo of Battlefront on here, as long as they were putting in the Xbox version. Every disc tries to install InterActual player and has weblinks to Starwars.com so it's not like the PC content isn't there.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:36 AM   #47
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yeah there were a lot of odd colours in ANH, more than you realise too. The Tatooine scenes showed a lot of green around parts when it seemed they tried to clean the video but they just couldn't or it was a result of cleaning the video, I don't know.

But you can't really complain I mean you're trying to restore a movie that's over 20 years old and that doesn't have its original masters available anymore.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #48
Kurgan
Headhunter

I don't know about that. Did they say the original masters didn't exist? I can't remember...

A few other changes I forgot to mention (subtle ones mentioned on other sites):

The "Detention Block" in ANH, the hallways are made to look like they stretch on further.

Also in ANH there is some scene with the twin suns of Tatooine that has been altered. I think its when the sun is setting they darken the scene so that it fits. I'd have to check the exact section but I've read it in several places now. Supposedly 24-25 minutes into the movie.

The "Senate and Jedi Temple" are included in the Coruscant celebration scene at the end of ROTJ (though you'd have to point out to me which buildings they are, since without the SE to compare I don't know).

Supposedly in ESB at the 92 minute mark there are a couple of shots of Han in his black jacket that were "corrected" (erased the jacket?) due to some continuity gaffe.

Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #49
Kurgan
Headhunter

Started a new thread sticky for the confirmed DVD changes here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...51#post1640551

Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #50
X_Fighter

a couple of extra changes for ANH

Vader's voice has been slightly altered (if you listen carefully you will notice)

a new explosion effect when Han blows up the comm panel in the detention centre.
X_Fighter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #51
Kurgan
Headhunter

Interesting.

How has Vader's voice been altered? Or do you just mean in a certain scene or scenes?

Remember Vader's voice sounds different in ANH from the other two movies because they hadn't gotten Vader's character nuances down yet (you can tell this because of the Special Edition added line in ESB "prepare my star destroyer for my arrival" ... the line sounds different from the other lines in ESB & ROTJ, because it's an unused line from ANH; this line replaces the old ESB line "bring my shuttle" which was spoken in the regular ESB voice). It's still James Earl Jones, just that the voice inflection is different in the 1980's movies than in 1977.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:54 AM   #52
X_Fighter

if you listen to when Leia meets Vader on Tantive IV you can hear that its different

though that may be that since the audio is cleand up it sounds different from the SE
Old 09-25-2004, 05:48 AM   #53
Kurgan
Headhunter

Can you describe how it sounds different?

I don't have the originals to compare...

Old 09-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #54
X_Fighter

Vader Voice Comparison

it obvious around "If ths is a consular ship where is the ambassador"

when you get your DVD Kurgan another good place where it is also obvious is when vader says "stay in attack formation"

Last edited by X_Fighter; 09-25-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:26 PM   #55
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up

I have the new DVD's and I have the 1997 Special Editions on tape. I meant that I don't own copies of the ORIGINALS (1977-1983) to see how its been changed.

If you mean it's been changed since the 1997 SE's, then I should be able to make it out.

I have NOT watched all three movies straight through, only skipped around and watched the bonus materials and audio commentaries, so I could have missed something.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Update: You're right, it's subtle, but definately different. I'll have to re-watch the scene in question to see which one they used (I assume it's the first one on your mp3 file there). I wonder if that's an alternate take or a re-recording?

Edit: Okay after listening to them, it sounds like the first "take" on that mp3 is the one they used on the DVD. It's not just Vader's voice, but the entire track sounds "lighter" in the first version, but more muffled (or more bassy in the second). I'm not sure what it is, if they just cleaned up the sound or if it's an almost perfect alternate take.

Edit 2: After listening to more of the lines I think it's just the soundtrack in general. Some of the lines are treble boosted so they sound cleaner but hissier than before. So the "muffled" lines sound better, but the lines that were fine before sound odd.

Last edited by Kurgan; 09-25-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #56
Kurgan
Headhunter

I see the finally added some actual online exclusive content for DVD owners:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/n...s20040924.html

(Previously all we got was a list of cast & crew and brief plot synopsies for the movies... the rest were direct links to Starwars.com and the usual databank entries on that site).

I'm not a huge fan of "exclusive online content" but hey, it's something. I haven't gone through the stuff for Episode I & II yet and I own those. As long as they plan to keep them up indefinately I can always check 'em out later.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #57
ramy
Rookie

I have a couple questions about the SW DVD's:

-in ROTJ, when Luke takes Darth Vaders mask off, why did they take Vaders eye brows out?...maybe that imply's something for episode III.

-in ESB, I like that they redid palpatine, but why does he look even older than in ROTJ?

-Why did they put Gungans in the DVD's?

ramy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #58
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally posted by ramy
I have a couple questions about the SW DVD's:

-in ROTJ, when Luke takes Darth Vaders mask off, why did they take Vaders eye brows out?...maybe that imply's something for episode III.

-in ESB, I like that they redid palpatine, but why does he look even older than in ROTJ?

-Why did they put Gungans in the DVD's?
1) Supposedly this will be explained in Episode III. Right now people are speculating that Anakin's eyebrows are "burned off." To me, it makes him look like a cancer patient (chemotherapy makes your hair fall out). But even then you'd think it would grow back.

We'll see...

2) Because the actor is physically older now than he was in 1983. I don't think he looks too bad, and after all, supposedly ESB takes place only 6 months to a year before ROTJ in the SW timeline. Maybe he was just sick that day. ; )

3) Lucas inserted Naboo into the ending celebration of ROTJ because, due to the prequels, that planet has become quite prominent in the overall story (Palpatine and Padme's home planet, the catalyst for Palpy's rise to power and the beginning of the Clone Wars, etc). And since Gungans live on Naboo, it makes sense that we'd see one or two of 'em. The two cultures (the humans and the gungans) shunned each other in TPM, but by the end their relationship had thawed due to their being forced to help one another against the common foe, the Trade Federation. So apparently this relationship has been maintained for almost 40 years, so seeing Gungans in the capital city is not unheard of.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #59
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
One thing that always bugged me in ESB has finally been corrected !

At one point when Han, Leia and company flee into the asteroid field, we see a shot from the cockpit where two asteroids collide in a big flash. In all the other version prior to the DVDs, the cockpit's position changed dramatically in the screen. Now it stays exactly at the same place and I'm pretty hapy about it, even if it's only a very minor correction.

However, one thing they have changed that bugs me, is the fact that they have overly saturated the scenes with Yoda. I suppose they did this to make him look even greener like in the prequels, but by doing so, Luke's shirt also looks green so do the trees in the background.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #60
Kurgan
Headhunter

Perhaps the original "cockpit shot" was reversed (a couple of those appear in the film and at least one was modified to look correct.. ie: swapping the insignias on the Imperial officer's uniforms).

As to the green stuff, it looks like in general the greens and blues of the film HAVE been saturated more.

I would chalk that up to the "restoration" process. Perhaps they ended up undersaturated and were digitally "enhanced" to have more color, or maybe they were that way "all along" and we were just used to seeing the faded version (sort of like Vader appearing a bit blue in the old versions).

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Which scenes are changed on the DVDs, and how?