lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do Darktroopers on Endor and Hoth bother anyone else
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #121
=HR=Meltdown
Rookie

First let me say all this talk about "I don't want Dark Troopers in a game where I am trying to re-enact the SW battles..." . Know what that brings to mind? All those southern gents getting together in their old "historically accurate" Civil War outfits and spending a weekend re-playing the Battle of Gettysburg over, and over again. Which is fine for them, it's a relativly private gathering which anyone can watch but not everyone can participate in which generally only occurs a couple of times a year...

Now tell me this are you seriously going to be re-enacting (or attempting to) Starwars battles over and over and over again and trying to keep it "accurate to the movies and GL's vision" (which BTW it's not GL's vision, only Episodes I-III are GL's vision, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and the rest of the major actors changed like > 75% of EP IV-VI scripts because frankly (to quote Ford) "George Lucas sucks as a writer", which EP I-III make evident) for hours on end every night? I mean for how long can you go "Ok we have to set our defenses up here, here, and here and we have to let 1 AT-AT get through and take out the Shield Generators", I mean that is "re-enacting" the SW battles after all right?

Sorry, but for the majority of the time your going to be gaming, and no matter how big of an SW Affectionado you may think you are, are going to be spending 99% of the time (after first playing through all the maps once and seeing the "cool" stuff) trying to kill more people and get a better score than anyone else on the server, while enabling your team to win. Either that our your going to quit playing out of frustration and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is. Get over it, it's a game. Are DT's "cannon"? No... But the Lucasarts is FIRST and FOREMOST a business, and if they can get even more people to pick up the game because it has a "leet" looking DT in it then they are going to put it in it. And you can say all day how you'll never buy the game, or will hate it because of that and guess what, I will lay you 10 to 1 odds you will STILL pick up the game and play it extensivly regardless. But that's just my 2 cents.

And no I'm not over-reacting, ranting, or freaking out. I'm just stating my opinion and unfortunatly tend to be wordy (my apologies). I am also perfectly calm and relaxed . Like I said it's just a game, play it for fun and leave it at that.
=HR=Meltdown is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #122
Scavenger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by =HR=Meltdown
Sorry, but for the majority of the time your going to be gaming, and no matter how big of an SW Affectionado you may think you are, are going to be spending 99% of the time (after first playing through all the maps once and seeing the "cool" stuff) trying to kill more people and get a better score than anyone else on the server, while enabling your team to win. Either that our your going to quit playing out of frustration and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is. Get over it, it's a game. Are DT's "cannon"?
Not everyone is playing this game just ''to win'' m8, actually i myself dont give a **** about it, its the fun and action that counts

We dont want the game to be uber precise like in the movie, but get a ''feel'' of like in the movie, i never saw a wookie (exept chewy) on hoth, neither was the case with dark troopers

BF1942 is different everytime, and it aint precise at all, but it sure is fun as hell, and after all those years it was released i still play it

this may just be same with SWBF, the freedom in this kind of games is supreme, and the gameplay.. incredible, i have numerous stories about action packed situations, and buyed every single expansion pack, and mods are still developing, if SWBF is the same as this, you can be sure this was the SW game we all awaited, but i respect your opinion

Also your saying we may quit out of frustration, sure, there ARE certain moments when you want to split that rotten cd-disk in two, but what good does that do? i for one have been teamkilled and been called names MANY times before, but..well i explained.

you CANT re-act the movies, sure you can make a group and attack the enemy, but the others would spoil it anyways, but i wasnt planning to do so, but you CAN teamwork with eachother

''and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is''

Also, i dont let myself get frustrated by people who wont relive the movies and the accuracy, its a game, i mean, who would try to? most of us dont even care, and why would we throw away our games just becoz of this? and thats why most games have clans, for the competition.

my 2 cents..or 3..

Last edited by Scavenger; 08-21-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Scavenger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #123
=HR=Meltdown
Rookie

And actually BF42 isn't accurate at all..... Now if you wanted to get onto someone for being historically innaccurate nothing in 42, not even the maps, is accurate at all (thank god for Forgotten Hope). But as you said it's all fun (though I admit I haven't played Vanilla '42 since EoD and FH came out), but just remember quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots. Let LA do what they are going to do, the game will still be enjoyable, and if you don't like it change it with the mod tools.

As for the "Darktroopers encourage lonewolfing" stated earlier.... DT's won't encourage it the nature of the game encourages it. And you never know they may not be lonewolfing. On the servers I play on (EoD, BF:V EoD, FH, and DC) most people think I am a lonewolf when actually half of the team is on TS executing strats while the other half/other team don't have a clue what's going on and thus think each of us individually are lonewolfing things when actually we're just spread out providing support for one another in the form of intelligence and flanking maneuvers. So remember it might not be that they are lonewolves it might just be that you are out of the loop. Anyways I'm rambleing pretty good now and need to leave work, I think it's getting to me .
=HR=Meltdown is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 05:43 PM   #124
Mango Fett

Its almost immpossible to reanact the battles, not everone plays to win, just have fun, its a game, and finally...just forget about it.

The deadliest man in the galaxy.
Mango Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #125
JediJohn
Forumite

i know mango, i mean its not like you can press a tap on the back to distract a scout trooper and lure him into a trap, there is no "tell the gungans that padme is the queen" button to make them help more and i extremly doubt you can go up to an trap door and through in a pulse grenade to take it down. so if you can't do these things you cant renact the battles well so there is no point trying just have fun in the star wars galaxy an one eu unit dosent make that much difference and if you dont like it dont play it.

sorry about that but i got annoyed

JediJohn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #126
Virtuosis

Yeah seriously, no one ever said that they wanted to re-enact the game, everyone just wants a game that seems fairly accurate to what the movies where, just nothing there wasn't in the movies. Which is understandable, but I'd rather have a few imperfections and a lot of fun. I'm still all for the dark trooper being in any map, it won't bother me at all.
Virtuosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #127
JediJohn
Forumite

yeah i know but i was angry

Old 08-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #128
Virtuosis

See what anger does to you...
Old 08-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #129
yaebginn
Banned

Actually, alot ofyou guys say 'But Chewie was the only wookie' there were actually alot of wookiees. They started their own resistance against the Empire. Just because you dont see thme ,doesnt mean they arent there. This game is about the guys you dont neccessarily see. We never saw a guy toting a locket launcher blow up a TIE Fighter, but we sure will in the game. This game is about the behind the scenes of Star wars. The movies all focus on the Heros, this is about average Joe, gun toting smoe. Its about his story. The group of little peopel stacked together to make up the Rebellion.
yaebginn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #130
joesdomain
The Emperor

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
Darktroopers had nothing to do with the 5 films and more than likely not be in Revenge of the Sith. There is no need for them in the game. The darktrooper does not add anything to the game. The Imperial Officer would of been perfect for the game. The Imperial Navy Troopers also would of worked as well. The Jet Pack on the Darktroopers just make it look more like other sci-fiction movies like I Robot, Terminator, Star Trek, or the other sci-fiction movies with robots in them.

"You Rebel Scum"

"Wipe them out, all of them"
joesdomain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #131
JediJohn
Forumite

i agree the IO would be good but have you tryed the dt i have and its soo good and i didnt think it would be good so just try it first then by all means hate it as long as you've tryed it
(that sounds like some bulls*it your parents use to get you to eat your greens i know but im serious just try) and dont give my some yoda crap about there is no try only do or do not cos i dont care

Old 08-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #132
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

I liked the IO better then the darktrooper. Not because it's a robot (starwars has a lot of other robots too) or because I hate the EU, but because I have seen a lot of IOs in the movies, and no DT.

Minister of Outer Rim Garrison, a Dutch multigame clan
Website - Forums - Email
Mountainforest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #133
Shock Trooper
Lurker

nah Dark Troopers are cool, because in the expanded universe 1 of them is like the preadator from the movies but has force powers which are deadly like everyone knows dark troopers should be there because they are a part of the imperials units but would they really risk a officer so he can eventually run off like in da books?

Da nuke
Shock Trooper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #134
Virtuosis

Wow despite the triple post and bad language skills I managed to decifer that. Since when did Predator have a jetpack and a laser shotgun. He had thermal sight and a gun that came out of his shoulder. Plus Dark Troopers aren't Force Sensitive they were originally robots.

OMG, I've turned into a star wars nerd....
Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #135
ImpHater
Rookie

lol thats funny!!!!but ya i didn't know that they had a laser shotgun.what a contradiction.a jet pack is used to go up getting you a away from the enemy but a shot gun is made to be close range.man i bet dark troopers suck!!!
ImpHater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 11:21 PM   #136
ShadoWraith
Rookie

They didnt look half bad in the gamepaly video I saw, killed 2 rebel soldiers and a pilot with 6 shots.
ShadoWraith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #137
S[e]NtRy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor_Cavkov
now that you mention it !
seriously, its just a little hhigher jump, you can still shoot them, and apparently its harder to maneuver that way.
S[e]NtRy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 AM   #138
joesdomain
The Emperor

I agree with a couple people on the issue of winning. Of course winning a game is important but I would seriously play the game sometimes just to walk the map and look at the nice scenary that Pandemic came up with. Basically explore all the planet maps! Try to look for things in the game that are from the movies.

"You Rebel Scum"

Old 08-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #139
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Quote:
Originally posted by ImpHater
lol thats funny!!!!but ya i didn't know that they had a laser shotgun.what a contradiction.a jet pack is used to go up getting you a away from the enemy but a shot gun is made to be close range.man i bet dark troopers suck!!!
In this case, a jetpack is for getting to your enemy fast, so a sotgun is quit logical.

Website - Forums - Email
Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #140
Virtuosis

I really don't think its for getting there faster, I think its more to get the trooper to a more tacticly sound position. Such as high ground, or behind the enemy. It really doesn't look like it will do much good to get you there faster...
Old 08-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #141
Jason Fett
Banned

This is a really good point, that I never really thought of until now.
Jason Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #142
Mango Fett

Its kind of like a dodge move, isn't it?

Old 08-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #143
Virtuosis

I guess, it can be used as a little jump but you lose your accuracy and when you land again your going to be getting shot at just as much.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:27 AM   #144
joesdomain
The Emperor

I take my x-wings and mow down all the darktroopers in the field first when I am the Rebel Alliance. Can't stand Darktroopers! I want the Imperial Officer back!

"You Rebel Scum"

Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #145
ShadoWraith
Rookie

Ill be gunning for them too.
ShadoWraith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2004, 11:30 AM   #146
Seren_SharpEye
Lurker

Isnt it better just to have 4 DT's avaible in the start and when they are all dead u cant get new ones
And I've never seen a DT in the battle of endor -_-,so plz plz dont include it there.
Seren_SharpEye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #147
Virtuosis

I know how much it bothers other people. But its going to be on endor and hoth. No matter what, it would be cool if there were alternatives to it but there won't be.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #148
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Quote:
Originally posted by Virtuosis
I really don't think its for getting there faster, I think its more to get the trooper to a more tacticly sound position. Such as high ground, or behind the enemy. It really doesn't look like it will do much good to get you there faster...
Getting on high ground isn't a vantage point for someone with a shotgun. I really think the jetpack is to get to someone in a straight line, without being shot (as its harder to aim for a flying person).
But it could also be used for infiltration. A darktrooper can use ways others can't. This could be usefull to get to a base.

Website - Forums - Email
Old 08-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #149
Virtuosis

Any position that is higher can be an advantage even to someone with a shotgun, you still have the potential of hitting them. Its also has a distracting effect on someone. To have someone over you shooting at you can always distract you from the real problem of whatever is below them.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #150
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Quote:
Any position that is higher can be an advantage even to someone with a shotgun, you still have the potential of hitting them. Its also has a distracting effect on someone. To have someone over you shooting at you can always distract you from the real problem of whatever is below them.
Distracting people from the real problem is nice, but you then also have a great chance of becoming cannon fodder. I 'don't think many people will play the darktrooper with that purpose.

But I admit it would be a nice tactic for a clan. If some darktrooper is jumping around then the other team would definetly be distracted.

Website - Forums - Email
Old 08-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #151
Mango Fett

Quote:
Originally posted by jedijohn
and i extremly doubt you can go up to an trap door and through in a pulse grenade to take it down.
actually, I saw the a behind the scenes preview of SWBF and it showa a Rebel pilot below an AT-AT throwing grenades up into an AT-AT. There is a hole but it is on the side. It is hard to hit but you can take them down like that.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #152
Virtuosis

Heh are you sure about that hole? I saw the same video and all I saw was a rebel pilot throwing grenades at an AT-AT than the grenades bouncing off and blowing the pilot up.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #153
yaebginn
Banned

I read somewhere that Dts wont be in SP in the Historical Campaign Mode. (or whatever its called)
yaebginn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #154
Mango Fett

Quote:
Heh are you sure about that hole? I saw the same video and all I saw was a rebel pilot throwing grenades at an AT-AT than the grenades bouncing off and blowing the pilot up.
Well from what I could see it looked like it worked, there was a huge explosion so I couldn't tell.But why else would he be throwing grenades up at it anyways. It could work, possibly. ? ?

Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 AM   #155
joesdomain
The Emperor

When I am playing on Hoth I will man a turrent and blow all the Darktroopers away or use a snowspeeder. Kill the Darktroopers! That is my opinion!

"You Rebel Scum"

Old 08-26-2004, 03:40 AM   #156
Jason Fett
Banned

Good luck if Im controlling one!
Jason Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2004, 05:16 AM   #157
nortenyo
Rookie

At one point in the dev cycle, the darktroopers kicked butt...too much. I would get 90 kills before dying. So his flying/jumping ability was lowered considerably. He was still dominating the boards, so his reload was lengthened. That killed him for me. He was not as fun anymore as I remember. His best asset, besides shotgun capability is his ability to get out of a nasty fire fight in no time. Sometimes you get can survive a dire situation by jumppacking out of the way.
nortenyo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2004, 05:19 AM   #158
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Quote:
Originally posted by joesdomain
When I am playing on Hoth I will man a turrent and blow all the Darktroopers away or use a snowspeeder. Kill the Darktroopers! That is my opinion!
Make sure you post this in the "who are you going to kill most?" thread too!

Website - Forums - Email
Old 08-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #159
reelguy227
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by =HR=Meltdown

(which BTW it's not GL's vision, only Episodes I-III are GL's vision, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and the rest of the major actors changed like > 75% of EP IV-VI scripts because frankly (to quote Ford) "George Lucas sucks as a writer",
can you give me a link where it shows all this info to be true?

you might as well say that GL is bad at everything then ,because all he did for 5 and 6 was write and give the final ok for things.

"It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Pray for an end to abortion and Gay marriage."

"Prayer is weakness leaning on Omnipotence"
reelguy227 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2004, 05:42 AM   #160
PhireStorm
Rookie

of course, you might be able to set the unit limit for each battle online and in sp- so no dt

www.freewebs.com/phiresart Come and see my art work!
PhireStorm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Do Darktroopers on Endor and Hoth bother anyone else