lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Concern regarding the number of planets in TSL
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Concern regarding the number of planets in TSL

Ok,

The devs have stated that there will be 7 planets in TSL. Initially, I was estatic about this news, however the other night something occured to me: there were 7 planets in KotOR.

1. Taris
2. Dantooine
3. Kashyyyk
4. Manaan
5. Korriban
6. Tatooine
7. Unknown World

That's not even counting the Leviathan or Yavin IV. With that said, do you think that TSL will be the same length or longer than the KotOR?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
0rlo
Rookie

longer

definately longer. maybe not as many planets but definately longer missions and side missions. the last thing a new company wants to do is bomb on a game that has so much expectation. this is their big break, they'll try and do it right.
0rlo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
kome566

Location: Sitting next to a laying Malak trying to hack his plate off.
Better have new planets . . . or i will be disappointed . . . ...and at least more walkage on the planets themselves . .

I have nothing else to do... : You can never kill a Sith... Achilles is my man ! (Not in that way..)
kome566 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
^^^^
I remember reading that Obsidian said the planets were going to be larger than in KOTOR 1, and some of that new size could be explained by having the moons of planets, or even orbiting asteroids or stations be acessable as well, adding in more places without having more worlds on the Galaxy Map.

But that is definately something to worry about especially if they start cutting things!!!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^
I remember reading that Obsidian said the planets were going to be larger than in KOTOR 1, and some of that new size could be explained by having the moons of planets, or even orbiting asteroids or stations be acessable as well, adding in more places without having more worlds on the Galaxy Map.

But that is definately something to worry about especially if they start cutting things!!!
You mean like the LucasArts layoffs?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:56 AM   #6
RubADucky
Rookie

OMGWTF?! Only 7 planets... Thats very disappointing.
RubADucky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2004, 05:01 AM   #7
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally posted by Achillies
You mean like the LucasArts layoffs?
Yeah... thats exactly what I meant.

Damn moneygrubbing LA execs!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
Old 08-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #8
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Yeah... thats exactly what I meant.

Damn moneygrubbing LA execs!
Well, at least we got some news about KotOR III out of it. Seems rather morose, doesn't it?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Morgan_Hearst
Rookie

I wouldn't worry about the layoffs at Lucasarts effecting the length of the KOTOR2. The game itself is done by Obisidian not Lucasarts.

In the video interview from E3, Mike Gallo said that the game was done and had now reached the point of 'polishing', which I understand to mean adding music, voice acting and testing.

As for the planets I was reassured somewhat by this interview:

RPG Vault Interview

Specifically:

Quote:
In terms of the actual exploration of the universe, there's about six or seven planets, but that's kind of an unfair categorization, since many planets have sub-locations that aren't really the planets themselves.
and

Quote:
The areas are larger than many locations in the first game (thank our programmers for pushing the engine to allow for more ambient effects and more polys), so you should hit fewer load level points than in the first game.
Morgan_Hearst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #10
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Thanks for the link!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:33 AM   #11
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Thanks for the link!
Agreed!

Old 08-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #12
Morgan_Hearst
Rookie

You are very welcome

BTW, on a side note, this forum is great. You have a nice friendly atmosphere here.
Morgan_Hearst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #13
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Hearst
You are very welcome

BTW, on a side note, this forum is great. You have a nice friendly atmosphere here.
Glad you decided to join us.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 AM   #14
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

^^^^
Yup, welcome to the forums Morgan_Hearst!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #15
FiEND_138

Ummmm yeah... Welcome

Thanx for the link BTW

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2004, 02:21 AM   #16
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

So... there are going to be seven planets again, but each of them are going to have sub areas like little mini worlds unto themselves (Moons/Orbiting Platforms/Asteroid Stations/etc.)... I guess that sounds pretty cool, with prestiege classes they better be pretty populated with bad guys!

Old 08-17-2004, 02:43 AM   #17
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
So... there are going to be seven planets again, but each of them are going to have sub areas like little mini worlds unto themselves (Moons/Orbiting Platforms/Asteroid Stations/etc.)... I guess that sounds pretty cool, with prestiege classes they better be pretty populated with bad guys!
I hope that not too many of the baddies are rabid animals again. I got pretty tired of fighting Kath Hounds on Dantooine. All that work and no items in return.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:52 AM   #18
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
I hope that not too many of the baddies are rabid animals again. I got pretty tired of fighting Kath Hounds on Dantooine. All that work and no items in return.
That is the exact reason I used the term "bad guys"... I want to play a Star Wars game...

If all I wanted was a simple bug hunt there is always Alien vs. Predator!

I know there will be some wildlife in TSL... I also hope they keep it very limited.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:00 AM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I know there will be some wildlife in TSL... I also hope they keep it very limited.
or at least more useful. The Tach gland hunt was cool because I knew that I was going to get paid (btw, not so much with the guilt and the tach glands. I'm convinced that Bioware only created the Selkath because they didn't want to the tachs to be the MOST annoying creatures in the game).

Hunting down creatures will be cool if I can get medpac chemicals or lightsaber crystals from them. Killing stuff just to do it isn't much fun....unless you're DS.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:11 AM   #20
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

^^^^
Agreed!

Quote:
I'm convinced that Bioware only created the Selkath because they didn't want to the tachs to be the MOST annoying creatures in the game.
RLMFAO!!!

Quote:
Hunting down creatures will be cool if I can get medpac chemicals or lightsaber crystals from them.
Thats a cool idea, especially the crystals part, that would give a PC incentive to farm an area for more potential items, and that extra bit of randomness is great for replayability.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 AM   #21
RubADucky
Rookie

They need to make bosses worth fighting because the prize of killing a boss isn't alot.
RubADucky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 AM   #22
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Thats a cool idea, especially the crystals part, that would give a PC incentive to farm an area for more potential items, and that extra bit of randomness is great for replayability.
I was thinking something ala Krayt Dragon (Pearl) or the Scared Beast on Kashyyyk. Anything is better than wasting medpacs on module after module of Kath Hounds.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 AM   #23
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
I was thinking something ala Krayt Dragon (Pearl) or the Scared Beast on Kashyyyk. Anything is better than wasting medpacs on module after module of Kath Hounds.
I absolutely agree! But what I meant is having randomized item drops from certain beasts, like you said with sabercrystals, organic components, etc. so that it wouldn't be wasting medpacks it would be killing the beasts for a type of reward that way.

I'll use the Dantooine example... if the Kath Hounds had a roughly 20% chance to drop a minor power saber crystal, a 10% chance to drop a medium power saber crystal, and a 40-60% chance to drop an organic sell-for-credit item like the wraid plate on Tatooine, this would have given some incentive to farming all of the Kath Hounds out on Dantooine.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:26 AM   #24
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I absolutely agree! But what I meant is having randomized item drops from certain beasts, like you said with sabercrystals, organic components, etc. so that it wouldn't be wasting medpacks it would be killing the beasts for a type of reward that way.

I'll use the Dantooine example... if the Kath Hounds had a roughly 20% chance to drop a minor power saber crystal, a 10% chance to drop a medium power saber crystal, and a 40-60% chance to drop an organic sell-for-credit item like the wraid plate on Tatooine, this would have given some incentive to farming all of the Kath Hounds out on Dantooine.
I think we're saying the same thing, except I don't think we should find Nextor crystals in Gizka. I know that I'm the one that originally used it as an example, but I didn't think it through.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:41 AM   #25
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing, except I don't think we should find Nextor crystals in Gizka. I know that I'm the one that originally used it as an example, but I didn't think it through.
I think so... maybe saber crystals was a bad example...

But creatures dropping anything that could possibly net us a few credits, or be useful in other ways, would be better than nothing!

Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #26
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I think so... maybe saber crystals was a bad example...

But creatures dropping anything that could possibly net us a few credits, or be useful in other ways, would be better than nothing!
Agreed. Side quest items like the tach glands and the wraid plates would be perfect, so I guess my only suggestion would be:

If you're going to make us fight a planet full of dumb animals, at least let us be able to sell their hide to rich people who want to spend a lot of money to make coats out of them
Old 08-17-2004, 04:56 AM   #27
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

^^^^

Yup... I can see it now, too much of that and the Star Wars equivelent of PETA will be after us and then the Sith will be the least of our problems!

Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #28
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
^^^^

Yup... I can see it now, too much of that and the Star Wars equivelent of PETA will be after us and then the Sith will be the least of our problems!
*thought that PETA were Sith*

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?"
Old 08-17-2004, 05:05 AM   #29
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

^^^^
Why yes they are!

[Homer] Hmm... Meat... Aaahhhh!!! [/Homer]

Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #30
FiEND_138

RoFL

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Concern regarding the number of planets in TSL