lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: WIP: Homer Simpson
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #41
tFighterPilot

Re: Re: no....

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt-Liell

Do you even model?

I hope you do with an accusation like that but looking at you point I cant see how you could, meshsmooth is far from evil, if you are inexperienced it can get a little frustrating but it certainly is not evil, most modelers use it and, guess what.......
it has no affect on JA whatsoever!
It jsut makes a blocky flat edged arm for exemple made from a cylinder with 8 sides, look good so you don't have to use a cylinder with 24 sides.

Whod a thunk it meshsmooth actually works in JA, man its not looking too noobie anymore is it?
Thanks matt

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Originally posted by yaebginn
not at all, they came here[USA] to worship God however they wanted and it was built on the principals and rules of the Christian religion.
tFighterPilot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #42
Matt-Liell
Long Haired Freaky Person

Location: Sitting in the back of My VW Microbus - In the Great White North
Re: Re: Re: no....

Quote:
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
Thanks matt
Hey no problem, can't stand people who bug others about stuff they don't know s*** about, I felt it was my duty.

A Native Swampie!

Matt-Liell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #43
Shady-D
Banned

Re: Re: no....

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt-Liell

Do you even model?
Dude i moddeled b4 you were even born, if not you must be a dinosaur or something, i moddeled for quake half life etc etc! so just stfu

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt-Liell [B] can't stand people who bug others about stuff they don't know s*** about[B]
It is you my friend who is talkin s*** , okay sure i was wrong, meshsmooth does work but its for totaal noobies, hear im gonna qoute on Corto

Quote:
Conversation with Corto
meshsmooth can't go out of 3dsmax
not as it is, but in the form of countless useless polygons
I tell you, If you wanna become a good low poly modeler, stay away from meshsmooth
there's no shortcut to leetness
I repeat, there's no shortcut to leetness
HAH ! pwned so just stfu if u dont know your stuff, i mean even a beginning moddeller shouldnt do it, cuz its easy and all, but if u wanna be noobie after more than a few years of moddeling be my guest, use meshsmooth all you want!, i dont care, just have a happy life, see ya
Shady-D is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #44
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

this is stupid, ppl can model in flat, in smooth and in balls if they want, so the one who must stfu is you Shady, Everyone can model as he wants so you dont have to come here and call someone a noob for using meshsmooth instead of cutting the polys manual, or didnt you know once you do the meshsmooth you can delete polys?

~JA MP Total Conversion~
LightNinja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #45
CortoCG

Reasons why you could use meshsmooth for low poly modeling:

Reasons why you shouldn't:
- it's cheap
- it adds useless polygons when you are working on a tight polygon budget.
- you loose control of your polygons, hence you loose control of the shape you looking for.
- the subdivision algorithms are not always good enough, and they usually subdivivide the polygons in a crazy fashion you cannot edit porperly later.
- it's cheap (did I say that already?)

Possible uses for meshsmooth:
- turn a med poly model into a high poly model with, sometimes, nasty results.
- can't think of any more.

Now now, make a thread with a poll to find out how many modelers use meshsmooth as a regular tool to make low polygon models. Those who don't use it must say it on the main thread too, so we can recognize them.

Dark Forces Mod: Modeler, animator, coder.

For more detail about my work visit my website
CortoCG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #46
CortoCG

Btw TFP, I think you should scrap the model, and start again, using primitives to set the basic layout of Homer's body.

Try to imagine Homer as an assembly of primitive objects. Then start joining them and removing useless polygons.

When you're done, model the features and the details. Homer's shape is really basic, and it's a great model to learn modelling.

Old 08-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #47
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

i personaly dont use too much meshmooth now i have more exp with extruding, welding, etc; but the conclussion is that everyone can model as he wants , and yes you said cheap 2 times

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 08-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #48
tFighterPilot

Let's get a few things straight. First of all, the polycount currently is 1222. Second of all, if I'd want to add detail, I can turn it into editable mesh after adding mesh smooth, thus getting complete control over the model. That won't be necessary since homer's shape is pretty much round. He's a cartoon, so he doesn't have a lot of detail. Why is it cheap? It's there for a reason. I believe every feture in 3D Studio Max is there for a reason and frankly, saying it's cheap is like saying that two sided lightsaber in multiplayer is cheap.

I know Shady and Corto have longer time experience than me, but I didn't start with modeling yesterday myself.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
not at all, they came here[USA] to worship God however they wanted and it was built on the principals and rules of the Christian religion.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 PM   #49
CortoCG

If I didn't care about your modelling, I would tell you "hey, nice Homer, keep up", but I would be lying. Notice that I'm not bringing down you methods for free. With every crit from me you'll get a modelling advice.
You and Lightninja know that better than anyone, since we worked together on a couple of things.

Meshsmooth is there for something, and I said what is it for, to turn mid poly models into hi poly models, and not always with good results.

The point of my anti-meshsmooth tendency is to get better in hadling polygons, edges and vertices, and not get used to meshsmooth to smooth out your models.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #50
Matt-Liell

Ya I'm agreeing with tfighter on this one, for his model it is not newbish to use meshsmooth, and in many other cases I do not find it newbish if you have accuired a knowledge on how it works you can easily delete unwanted polys and get the results you need.

To Shady: I appologise then if you have modelled but you were kind of harsh on tfighter and noone messes with an old lf buddy. Plush your accusation was that it was
Quote:
noobie
and that was it, it did not seem you had any other reason therefore I concluded that you did not model.

To Tfighter: And as for YOU ...... hows homer doing?

A Native Swampie!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:42 PM   #51
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by CortoCG
If I didn't care about your modelling, I would tell you "hey, nice Homer, keep up", but I would be lying. Notice that I'm not bringing down you methods for free. With every crit from me you'll get a modelling advice.
You and Lightninja know that better than anyone, since we worked together on a couple of things.

Meshsmooth is there for something, and I said what is it for, to turn mid poly models into hi poly models, and not always with good results.

The point of my anti-meshsmooth tendency is to get better in hadling polygons, edges and vertices, and not get used to meshsmooth to smooth out your models.
It depends which model I'm doing. Homer has a simple round body. If I'd do some model which is more rough, I won't use mesh smooth. I know every polygon personally. I won't let a useless polygon be there, trust me on this.

No one said anything to IG-64 when his Super Mario model had 11000 polys...

Matt, I'd continue the model the next time I'd feel unlazy.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-27-2004, 12:54 PM   #52
CortoCG

Quote:
No one said anything to IG-64 when his Super Mario model had 11000 polys...
The model was really nice, but is was not for a game. And who's IG-64 and why should I care about his modelling?

Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #53
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by CortoCG
The model was really nice, but is was not for a game. And who's IG-64 and why should I care about his modelling?
Yes, it was for Jedi Academy. He released it a long time ago. (well not really long)

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #54
Matt-Liell

http://pcgamemods.com/5054/

boink theres the dude

A Native Swampie!

Old 08-27-2004, 02:02 PM   #55
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

Well i have to say corto is right, if you restart the body it would be pretty easy, just do 2 different spheres, then cut'em by the middle or where you want; and then just weld them; the same with the shoulders (homer t-shirt) and with his ass

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 PM   #56
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by LightNinja
Well i have to say corto is right, if you restart the body it would be pretty easy, just do 2 different spheres, then cut'em by the middle or where you want; and then just weld them; the same with the shoulders (homer t-shirt) and with his ass
Easy, yes, but what's the point? That's the part that I still don't understand.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #57
CortoCG

Quote:
...If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Is not broken, I think you could do much better, that's all.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #58
Shady-D
Banned

Thumbs up sorry if ive been harsh!

listen to smart man ^------------- Corto
neways i posted something but it didnt seem to come up so ill just post it again, so what i had to say: You guys just go ahead with your lives, corto keep trying to punch some brains in these guys, i wish you good luck, though they are VERY stubborn, Light ninja keep doing whatever you do, TFP go ahead go model homer i'd suggest dont using meshsmooth, but hey its your own f***in choice, i mean if u wanna be noobie, go ahead. you all just have fun with yer life etc etc,
( TFP im not accusing you of being a noob btw, just that ur using the noobie method)
so herez what i gotta say
- TFP Just Go ahead And Keep Using The Noobie Method
- LightNinja Keep Making A Monkey Outta Me (i love monkeys though )
- Matt, appolgy accepted and i have to appologise 2 u as well, i mean im just felt hurt deep inside when u said i didnt model Moddeling is 50% of my life 20% is my sleep, 10% fun 9% eat 1 % skool or sometin
- Corto I wish you allot of luck (call me if u need back up )

conclusion: Do What You Wanna, Read Ma Lips: I DONT CARE! HAH! I NEVER EVEN SHOULDVE READ THIS FORUM!!! HAH !

next time when i say ppl something smart, and they make me feel hurt or like a noob, im just not gonna reply anymore or make a reply like this wich bassicly says : F*** you and have a nice day

see yaz
Old 08-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #59
Matt-Liell

Re: sorry if ive been harsh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shady-D

next time when i say ppl something smart, and they make me feel hurt or like a noob, im just not gonna reply anymore or make a reply like this wich bassicly says : F*** you and have a nice day
Thats the Lucasforums spirit!
Theres hope for you yet!

A Native Swampie!

Old 08-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #60
Thrawn42689

POLY-BY-POLY FOREVER!

>.>

Thrawn42689 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 03:35 AM   #61
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
POLY-BY-POLY FOREVER!

>.>
Can't say I didn't see that coming

Well, homer is not exactly the poly by poly type. Maybe the face, but the body is very simple. I prefer making a simple shape and move polys, I see poly by poly as something a machine should do, not a human. That's also the reason I hate math.

Shady-D, MeshSmooth is not n00bish. It simply divides every polygon by the number of side it has, and bends them to the direction of the next polygon. It's not like it does the whole model...

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-28-2004, 03:56 AM   #62
keshire
Veteran

Modeller arguement...modeller arguement...lalalalala

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
-Keshire of the Bleak Cabal.
keshire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #63
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

lol poly by poly, if it means make a model poly by poly that must be anoying :p

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 08-28-2004, 06:50 AM   #64
tFighterPilot

Quote:
lol poly by poly, if it means make a model poly by poly that must be anoying
Yeah, it is. That's how thrawn made his raptor. Putting each poly with love.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-28-2004, 08:29 AM   #65
Shady-D
Banned

lol now thats a real pro way.... lol.... poly by poly...lol... oh btw this is my very very last reply in this thread , lololololol poly by poly, nice mwuahahahhahahah now thats gonna take some years to finish, neways TFP say what you wanna i still think and will think that meshsmooth noobish, maybe its not noobish but its just n00bish IMO, moddeling aint that hard at all man, you dont even need meshsmooth, for example if u wanna create uhmm a .... gun barrell, create a cilinder, edit mesh > go move the verts in place, tadaa done not that hard at all? maybe just a tad more work but it beats poly by poly (well it doesnt with quality)
its just the way i model > moving verts :P and extrude and weld, yknow just a few basics etc etc, neways thats my method, maybe its also very noobie, but hey it works and its not meshsmooth ^^ :P

This Time Fo Real Yaw!

See Yaz!
Shady-D
Old 08-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #66
tFighterPilot

Quote:
lol now thats a real pro way.... lol.... poly by poly...lol... oh btw this is my very very last reply in this thread , lololololol poly by poly, nice mwuahahahhahahah now thats gonna take some years to finish, neways TFP say what you wanna i still think and will think that meshsmooth noobish, maybe its not noobish but its just n00bish IMO, moddeling aint that hard at all man, you dont even need meshsmooth, for example if u wanna create uhmm a .... gun barrell, create a cilinder, edit mesh > go move the verts in place, tadaa done not that hard at all? maybe just a tad more work but it beats poly by poly (well it doesnt with quality)
its just the way i model > moving verts :P and extrude and weld, yknow just a few basics etc etc, neways thats my method, maybe its also very noobie, but hey it works and its not meshsmooth ^^ :P

This Time Fo Real Yaw!

See Yaz!
Shady-D
Incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic.

I think I know how to move verts and extrude...

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #67
CortoCG

TFP, why the heck do you quote Jacobim in your signature???

Old 08-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #68
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

Re: sorry if ive been harsh!

Quote:
I DONT CARE! HAH! I NEVER EVEN SHOULDVE READ THIS FORUM!!!
You where right, and then you posted that going poly by poly is for noobs, fkcing stupid you should see what thrawn did and then you will shut your beauty lips up and start crying
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...hreadid=132212
now cry and dont reply

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 08-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #69
Hindy

well this is an amusing thread!

Oh well i would say TFP keep doing what ur doing, by experiementing with meshsmooth u ll learn another part of max and its pro's and cons. Thats gotta b a good thing right?

I have to agree that Meshsmooth can b very nasty to use altho i did use it ontop of a low poly cage on my newer med poly models...c my thread... but i used MS on a car not so long ago and it was a horrible experience, the creases insteading of staying straight want to turn into a big ball!! But i eventually defeated it

Everyone has their own techniques and im sure they have developed these through experimentation.

/ramble over

Hinch MIA

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/

Completed Projects...

Legolas Player Model

Upcoming Projects...

Gollum
Slave Leia
Hindy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #70
Shady-D
Banned

Angry WTF!

I never said poly by poly was nooby, in fact i said it was real pro way! SO STFU! omfg stop MAKING me reply!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #71
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hindy
well this is an amusing thread!

Oh well i would say TFP keep doing what ur doing, by experiementing with meshsmooth u ll learn another part of max and its pro's and cons. Thats gotta b a good thing right?

I have to agree that Meshsmooth can b very nasty to use altho i did use it ontop of a low poly cage on my newer med poly models...c my thread... but i used MS on a car not so long ago and it was a horrible experience, the creases insteading of staying straight want to turn into a big ball!! But i eventually defeated it

Everyone has their own techniques and im sure they have developed these through experimentation.

/ramble over

Hinch MIA
I know what you talk of. The MeshSmooth is be a powerful ally, and a terrible foe. I learnt how to control it correctly while doing the Kaadu.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #72
Mex
Not the brightest cookie.

Re: WTF!

Quote:
I never said poly by poly was nooby, in fact i said it was real pro way! SO STFU! omfg stop MAKING me reply!!!!
Stfu, you didn't have to reply to this thread.

I agree with Corto, rework it and take your sweet sweet time.
Mex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #73
Hindy

Tfp have u tried modeling Homer with primitives? Geospheres etc?
I can knock up a quick one if u would like? maybe it would help in ur approach to ur Homer...

I can make a quick headfile up over the weekend maybe and mail it to u so u can browse it at ur leisure and maybe in corparate some of the techniques.

Only a suggestion, not knocking u...feel u may need some helpful encouragment lol

Hindy

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/

Completed Projects...

Legolas Player Model

Upcoming Projects...

Gollum
Slave Leia
Hindy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #74
tFighterPilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hindy
Tfp have u tried modeling Homer with primitives? Geospheres etc?
I can knock up a quick one if u would like? maybe it would help in ur approach to ur Homer...

I can make a quick headfile up over the weekend maybe and mail it to u so u can browse it at ur leisure and maybe in corparate some of the techniques.

Only a suggestion, not knocking u...feel u may need some helpful encouragment lol

Hindy
You mean the body, right?

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Old 08-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #75
Stake Black
Rookie

Erm...Couldnt we just drop it and return to the thread's subject?

*Stake - Peace
Stake Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 07:54 PM   #76
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

Re: WTF!

Quote:
Ok ok shady, lets be friends

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 08-28-2004, 09:40 PM   #77
Stake Black
Rookie

Re: Re: WTF!

Quote:
Ok ok shady, lets be friends
Yeah, let's be friends, people of the thread!
Stake Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #78
Zappa_0
JOM Director

Lets get this thread back on track ppl!

Zappa_0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 AM   #79
MadCow1989

Quote:
Originally posted by Zappa_0
Oh yea, he posted it on PCGM too.
majin never posted his ATAT on pcgm he only gave it to people that wanted to test it
MadCow1989 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2004, 04:33 AM   #80
tFighterPilot

I think I'd stop with modeling for the time being. Too stressful. Before, modeling was a hobby, now it's more stressing than homework. It's not anyones fault.

If anyone wants to finish my model, I'd be happy to sent it to him.

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > WIP: Homer Simpson