lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why did Jango clone himself?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Pad
.¬¬.

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Why did Jango clone himself?

I accidently watched epII again last night and when I saw the cloning part on Kamino I wondered why Jango had made an unaltered clone without growth acceleration of himself: Boba.

Was it just so someone followed his footsteps or are there maybe other reasons?
Pad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Maybe he was unlucky with women, and he really wanted a son...and he figured it if was a clone, then he could be just like his old man

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
wassup

Well, let's see, I don't think he wanted to take care of a wife when he was traveling all over the galaxy tracking down bounties...plus his wife (and possible children) would be in constant danger.

Also, like ET said, he probably wanted someone who was as genetically exact to himself as possible to carry on his legacy, ie. a clone.

We probably will never know the true reason(s) unless we get a look into Jango's head (which has sadly been seperated from the rest of his body).
wassup is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
bounty hunting is a lonely profession, so it was either that or a kitten.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
^^^^
*LOL* That or a kitten!

I think Jango did it as a way to have a son, to carry on his name, and to cater to Jango's own ego.

Just my 2 cents!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Darth Dex
Forumite

I don't know about you people, but I played Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and Roz, who dies, always whatted him to settle down and have a kid.

When you start thinking you should just quit right there!

Ben says, "stop ruining my storys! You always ruin my storys."
Darth Dex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 02:31 AM   #7
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Dex
I don't know about you people, but I played Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and Roz, who dies, always whatted him to settle down and have a kid.
But Darth Dex that is Roz and this thread is about Jango and his reasons for having Boba made.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
Dio
Lurker

I gotta agree with the other folks... he created Boba to carry on his legacy in case of his untimely demise.

(LoL. A kitten. )
Dio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Of course, the legacy stuff is true, but then, maybe he wanted to see himself from a diffrent angle. He may be experimenting "what ifs...", to see how he would have been. If had lived long enough, he may have wanted to see how he and his clone were diffrent, depending on the enviroments and peoples that affected them.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
JohnnieG
Rookie

He didn't want to end his days in an old folks home on Tatooine. He wanted his young lad to look after him. If he'd known he wasn't going to make it to his pension he probably wouldn't of bothered (which would have changed everything of course).
JohnnieG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
nightmarenny
Rookie

He created Boba(according to comics and BH) to carry on Jasters(assuming I spelled it right) legacy. Who is Jaster? He was his master. Daxter took the orphan Jango under his wing and made him a fighter. He was the finest of Mandolorian. Boba wasn't just there for Jango nor Jaster even but all of the Mando culture that Jaster gave to Jango.
nightmarenny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Actually, Jango did have a girlfriend at one point... a rogue ARC Trooper started dating her.

Last edited by TK-8252; 09-30-2005 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Typo...
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2005, 11:58 PM   #13
nightmarenny
Rookie

So....he got some action while dead?
nightmarenny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #14
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

No, he got some action before he died... and apparently his ex doesn't mind that she's with a clone of him.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
He was planning to eat him one day.

What, you didn't know Mandalorians are cannibals? Some Star Wars fan you are! just kidding

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
Kurgan
Headhunter

Good point. Perhaps they figured giving him a kid was cheaper than part of his pay (which was "considerable"). They talked him into it somehow, perhaps. I guess the guy was a big softie after all.

When you're evil, having a kid is a great thing. A small mind to corrupt to your evil will, etc...

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #17
idle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Windu
You guys mention great points but you leave out one important one. To go along with passing along his legacy and all that wife/kid/danger crap he also did it for the F***ING MONEY! Remember when what's her face mentioned something about a hefty sum?
No, I'm sure that Boba was a stipulation written into the deal by Jango himself on top of the money. It goes a good way to explain why he would still be hanging around Kamino rather than chasing down fugitives.

Another point, Jango must have been told to create the instruction videos for the clone army since they all have his accent. Accent is created my your surroundings, not your genes. The cloners must have seen that creating an unalterted clone for Jango was a good way to keep him tied to Kamino (to instruct the clones, give them training, etc), so it wasn't that big a deal for them.

Boba is Jango's son, basically. Untainted from even his own genes. How massive of an ego boost is that? To have yourself to mould from birth, surely if Jango wasn't beheaded Boba would have grown to be even more brilliant than he was.

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #18
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
He probably wanted a son so he could make him everything he wasn't... or something like that. I know Jango was one of the greatest bounty hunters, but even he probably knew he had imperfections.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #19
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

All Mandalors shoot blanks.

I've said it so now it's EU.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #20
idle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
All Mandalors shoot blanks.

I've said it so now it's EU.
You just got a bounty put on your head.

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #21
Kurgan
Headhunter

Maybe he took a vow of celibacy, but still wanted a kid, and maybe with his criminal record he couldn't adopt...

Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #22
T10
Rookie

I think that the key to this is in Bounty Hunter. There's one key line in it that can be traced to his decision.

Quote:
You won't live forever...
Or something like that. I think it's when Jango's just stolen the Slave 1. Based on this, I think that his reason for getting a clone is a tribute of some kind to Roz. If he got a clone, he could technically live forever. I think that this one line sparked his will get create Boba.

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #23
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T10
If he got a clone, he could technically live forever. I think that this one line sparked his will get create Boba.
...Until his clone dies (or gets eaten by the Sarlacc, of course).
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #24
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
...Until his clone dies (or gets eaten by the Sarlacc, of course).
[EU Fan]Heathen! He survived the Sarlacc! This was approved by Lucas!!!111[/EU Fan]

Seriously though, why would he "live forever"? It's not like he was somehow able to transfer his soul into young Boba (don't even try it, EU hacks!) and his mind was his own.. no flash brain implant of his memories (EU hacks, I'm warning you..! Don't get any ideas!).

If you mean in the sense "he would live forever in his children" then the same could be said of any person who ever had kids. Carrying on their genes or their legacy or their memory that their children had of them, etc whatever. But you don't need cloning to do that.

Apparently infertility does exist in the Star Wars universe, so that even a wealthy Senator and his family have to adopt a child. So it's not inconceivable (pardon the pun) that Fett was simply unable to have a child on his own...

Anyway, if he "lived on forever" in his progeny, then the Stormtroopers were his real legacy, not Boba Fett, as they continued on, as far as we known, even to the NJO. I mean did they ever stop cloning Stormtroopers? Did the Imperial Remnant, when they joined with the New Republic to form whatever it was they called their new galactic union, exterminate all their remaining clones and destroy all their clone facilities? Granted the Stormtroopers-as-clones is a retcon thanks to Lucas's prequels, but there you go. It has to be explained somehow. As far as I can tell, some of Fett still lives on...

According to Lucas they still use Clones in the OT era and "recruites" and "conscripts" of non-clones are a relatively new phenomena. He specifically cites the Trooper who bumps his head on the door in ANH as a descendant of Jango!

Old 10-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #25
T10
Rookie

Mmm, of course he could've used the army to continue his legacy, but I think he wanted to make an attachment to the one that would carry it on. I think he was aiming for a bounty hunter clone more than a soldier when it came to his mark upon the galaxy. Sure, the army was bigger and more obvious, but perhaps he didn't want to be super famous.

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #26
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
If you mean in the sense "he would live forever in his children" then the same could be said of any person who ever had kids. Carrying on their genes or their legacy or their memory that their children had of them, etc whatever. But you don't need cloning to do that.
But with cloning he has a child who is 100% "all Jango". Having child by normal means would only be 50% Jango. Whether that would matter to him or not, I don't know.

Another theory might be that because is supposedly the last of the Mandalorians, having a clone child means that his decendent is 100% Mandalorian as well. Just a thought...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
But with cloning he has a child who is 100% "all Jango". Having child by normal means would only be 50% Jango. Whether that would matter to him or not, I don't know.
Excellent point. Perhaps he's an egomaniac and a bit of a racist. That would make perfect sense actually!

Quote:
Another theory might be that because is supposedly the last of the Mandalorians, having a clone child means that his decendent is 100% Mandalorian as well. Just a thought...
But then why have just one child? The Mandalorian line ends with Boba, then! So either make a ton of clones, or... wowsers, do it the old fashioned way through breeding! (Unless he's sterile or gay or something and that's why he's afraid to do it, but even in the later case, what about artificial insemination? I mean it's true intertility exists in Star Wars, but I find it hard to imagine that this technology is beyond their grasp, even if it were illegal, that isn't something that would stop Fett...)

Or make clones and alter some of them to be female. And it would be incest, but he could "continue the line" through them that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T10
Mmm, of course he could've used the army to continue his legacy, but I think he wanted to make an attachment to the one that would carry it on. I think he was aiming for a bounty hunter clone more than a soldier when it came to his mark upon the galaxy. Sure, the army was bigger and more obvious, but perhaps he didn't want to be super famous.
Sounds good, but how would he know that Boba was going to have a career as a "Bounty Hunter" when he was only 12 years old? I mean sure the kid probably idolizes him "I want to be just like you dad, etc!" Then again in the EU they cram a bunch of crap down our throats by having Boba become a famous Bounty Hunter, assasinating leaders and stuff, wearing child-size Mandalorian Armor... *wretch*

Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #28
darthkangaroo
Rookie

Jango Cloned Himself because The Count Asked Him To Becuse He Needed A guy To Make His Clone army so his master could take over The GALAXY
darthkangaroo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #29
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkangaroo
Jango Cloned Himself because The Count Asked Him To Becuse He Needed A guy To Make His Clone army so his master could take over The GALAXY
Read the thread carefully.

This is about why he asked for a personal clone, who of course we now know as Boba.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #30
Kurgan
Headhunter

Who put Solo into carbonite, and then got eaten by the Sarlacc...

[EU Fan]Jerk! Lucas approved his return so it's cAnOn!!!!11[/EU Fan]

Oops... thread derailed.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #31
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Hmmh, He's a Bounty Hunter. That says it all

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #32
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

He just wanted a child that he knew would turn out exactly how he wanted and be just like him.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 10-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #33
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

His salmon don't swim upstream.

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #34
JawaJoey
Forumite

Legacy, and that little sense of immortality (but by no means literal immortality). Surely, the clone army is a much greater and more galacticly significant legacy and imortality, but it's not pure. It's created by someone else, for someone else, and changed to be subservient and get old fast... not a Bounty Hunter's dream. A pure clone, however, is even more pure than a natural son could ever be.

He had the oppurtunity, and maybe he wanted something a little different and emotional in his life, more than just the Bounty Hunter's life.

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #35
Darth_Death
Rookie

Location: Under the watchfull eye of 2 evil dictators named MOM and DAD...
i think jango cloned himself because palpaltine paid him to do it so he could have an army to take over the galaxy .besides hes a bounty hunter and he is on no ones side unless he new of papaltines secret of being a sith lord and trying to rule the universe

"bring me that horizon..."
Darth_Death is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #36
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, I think he just want a Kid, and given that Jango's girl maybe of species that is not crossbreedable... so a clone would be a good choice.

Either that or he got his package chewed off by a hungry tWookiee Hooker...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #37
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Death
i think jango cloned himself because palpaltine paid him to do it so he could have an army to take over the galaxy .besides hes a bounty hunter and he is on no ones side unless he new of papaltines secret of being a sith lord and trying to rule the universe
Don't revive old thread, especially to give an answer to a question you didn't understand.
He meant why did he keep an unaltered clone for himself, that is stated in the question.

- Halo_92

Old 01-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #38
Darth_Death
Rookie

Location: Under the watchfull eye of 2 evil dictators named MOM and DAD...
srry bout that i just re read the question.

and ya i think he did it cas he couldn't have children for some reason and he wanted a kid just like him to be his partner in crime

"bring me that horizon..."
Darth_Death is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #39
Cercueil
Rookie

who else was he going to take to the father/son bounty hunter awards banquet?

........˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.•°*”˜˜”*°•..•°*”˜˜”*°•.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜
...............˜°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.Wooks' Brigands.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°˜
.......................˜”*°•.˜”*°•.Brigs • Ahazi .•°*”˜.•°*”˜
...........................*”˜.•*”˜.•°*”˜ ˜”*°•.˜”*•.˜”*
Cercueil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Why did Jango clone himself?