lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: At last, I got around to it. (Staff Strategies)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
At last, I got around to it.

Well, a BUNCH of swampies and a ton more jka players have asked me to put together a lil website with some basic strategies...and to dispell a few rumors about staff.

I'm posting it here then moving it to jka...because swampies where the ones who wanted me to make it in the first place. :x

Still under construction, but I have a few things up. Has music.

Enjoy

http://www.jaguarfx.net/hotrod/jka/index.htm

rar

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
topshot
Loves Taffy

Wow! There may still be hope for me, yet!

"My name's not 'Adam We'........or is it????"
topshot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Sam Fisher
eh.

Mmmm... more strategys... mmm....

stuck in an eternity of sunshine and chocolate.
Sam Fisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Mono_Giganto
Giant Monkey of Doom™

Current Game: Baldur's Gate EE
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Nice, I guess I can start playing JA again!

Mono_Giganto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

funny screenshots...

"too bad for u loser"

"stop laming"

"...laming me "

were you in a server with a bunch of nerds or something?

Anyway, great guide, I always liked the staff, never really liked the usual single saber crap, even though I do have experience with it

"It's Jango Fett! And he's brought his head!"
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
The page loads very slowly and is hard to read (the strategy is confined into a tiny space you have to scroll in the middle of the screen), but if you made it a bit easier to read (how about on a plain html page with the images?) I'd gladly post a link to it on Strategic Academy.

I'm on DSL and if it loads slow for me, imagine how bad it must be for dialup! That imbedded sound file is a major culprit...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Kurgan, I am noob to webpages, and that's the best I could do within the 4 hours free time I had. It's used as a personal place. People ask me to train them all the time, and I'm able to send them that link.

This is my first attempt to try to make my own template from scratch. It's merely a personal project, that others can check out, if they wish.

As I said, it's designed for 1024x768

If anyone wants to take the stuff and re-make it to look better, then by all means, get ahold of me and do so.

Could you just go ahead and link it at your strategy site? It wouldn't hurt anything. Just put a warning (as I already did put a warning) that it will take some time to load.

The page is definetly made for broadband. It loads within 10 seconds for my DSL.

Oh...btw.... www.jaguarfx.net/hotrod/jka/main.htm is your "plain" webpage.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
Sam Fisher
eh.

Also, you might want to do a spell check in there

Old 09-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Yeah yeah I barely had enough time to do that. lol

Old 09-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
jebbers
FUS RO DAH

Current Game: Skyrim
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
I'm on DSL and if it loads slow for me, imagine how bad it must be for dialup!
it had no problem loading for me...im on dial-up and it took about 1 minute...not bad but faster than most websites....

jebbers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 08:25 PM   #11
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs down

There's a 16 meg (or so) sound file that loads with the page, plus the obligatory pictures for the thread. It took forever.

Maybe it's because I'm using Opera? That shouldn't be the problem.

Anyway, I suggest nixing the sound file and expanding the view area of the strategy portion. Or better yet, put a link on the page that goes to the strategy section without all the eye/ear candy.

The page will load fast for you if you've already visited it once (and it's in your cache), but the first time is painful...

My desktop is 1024x768. So the viewing area thing is just ridiculous. They say that you should design websites with at least 800x600 in mind, or better yet, have your site adapt to the resolution of the user, or offer multiple resolution options. Something!

I literally can only view 2 inches at a time (my monitor is 19in) of the article, meaning I can't even view an entire screenshot at one time... I have to scroll! Not good.

I make these suggestions as constructive criticism and I hope they will be taken as such. The content looks good (what little I was able to read in all that mess), but the presentation needs work.

Update: the resolution doesn't look like it's the issue. I switched my desktop to 1600x1200 and I still can't view an entire screenshot.

To amend what I said above, the strategy portion of the page loads in a reasonable amount of time, it's the REST of the stuff on the page that takes so long. It's been 11(!) minutes and the page is STILL loading. There are 86 images on here, and of course the sound file, which is huge...

Update 2: Looks like it finished, at about 17 megs, 12 minutes. And still there are two missing images (big gray boxes above and below the article). Wow...

Just for fun I'll try it in IE and see if it fairs any better.

Update 3: Had to load the page twice, because the first time half the images didn't load.

Okay the page looks MUCH better in IE. I can only assume it's an "IE only" page. What did you make it with? It is possible to create pages that work with more browsers than just IE (even though IE is the most popular). While the article viewing area is better, I notice that the screenshots are VERY big (and over 100k each). You might want to resize those (looks like you just cropped your normal size in-game screenshots). That mp3 song takes a long time to load. Even after the rest of the site has loaded it takes a long time and slows down everything else, even if you pause it. I would make that a hot link rather than an imbedded player to speed up load time.

Not quite so horrendous in IE (which I rarely use), but still needs work. While you say it's a web page game guide, this looks more like a PowerPoint presentation.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 09-03-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah... it's not very Opera-Friendly. But it looked good in IE.

The sound was cool, but I wouldn't want to load it every time. I'll definately check out the strats, though.

Nice screen shots w/edits, BTW.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2004, 10:38 PM   #13
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Kurgan. I have no idea what's wrong with your browser...but it is a browser issue. There is no problems with IE...and the sound file is only 3.8 megs in reality.

This is an issue on your end, not the website

and again, I did send you a link for a plain page with pics and text only. /main.htm

As you are reading...the pictures are loading. You don't even know they exist yet. By the time you scroll down with your natural reading speed, the next pictures will already be loaded.

As for the music, it plays as it downloads, so it's merely downloading in the background.

The website is NOT designed to POOF fully load, but load overtime, but having the ability to see what you need to see at all times. In other words, it's able to load quite a large amount of files, and .mp3 quality music...while "acting" like it loads within a few seconds. In reality, it's still loading, you just don't notice...unless you start scrolling ahead of yourself for some reason.

As for the music, I had to put some of it together. Was fragmented and the quality was screwed up. That took me awhile to get back together :P

Old 09-03-2004, 10:44 PM   #14
Kurgan
Headhunter

I'll post up a link to the "stand alone" page when I get a chance.

Hey, I didn't mean my above posts as a flame, obviously these are mistakes made by countless other people before you. They make pretty web pages that are a little heavy on the bandwidth usage than they need to be.

My advice would be to resize the screenshots to about a half or third of what they are. That alone will save a lot. Loading sound files on web pages is also a big no-no these days. Put up a link to download the music file, and if people want to use it then they can download it.

I'm not saying my site is 100% perfect, but take a look at the screenshots I use. You can always tell what's going on, and yet they are a fraction of the size of your's.

With practice and time you can refine your presentation to be much more easy to read and still look great. Don't give up...

Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #15
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Like I said, it's just a personal website for myself, and for any who care enough to take a look.

I know you arn't flaming. Just trying to remind you, I barely have any time at my house, and I got home at 2am, and threw that together. I had to get some sleep because I had to wake up in the morning at 7am....so I didn't have time to resize the pics and cut down loading times......so I made it where it loads overtime. As for the screenshots, be glad that I even had time to crop them, lol.

If anyone is up to it, feel free to contact me, and re-size the pictures for me. I'll give you the neccessary files.

Last edited by RpTheHotrod; 09-03-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:29 PM   #16
wassup

Some (more compulsive) players in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory refer to the Panzerfaust Rocket Launcher as the "noobstick" too. Guess every game has its whiners.
wassup is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 AM   #17
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Well, there really isn't any way to skillfully use that now, is there?

Run into crowd, look down, kill 10 people, including yourself. :O That's how 90% of players use it, that I've seen.

It also has a huge blast radius that is practically unavoidable.

Wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't so spammable. Shoot, kill self, respawn, shoot, kill self, respawn, rinse and repeat.

Fix the exploits...then it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:54 AM   #18
iamtrip

You're such a pessimist Kurgan!
Although I'm at 1024*768 mozilla the screenshots won't fit into one screen.
Its a bit better in ie, but I would suggest removing the border/making the text area wider and taller.

Quote:
Originally posted by wassup
Some (more compulsive) players in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory refer to the Panzerfaust Rocket Launcher as the "noobstick" too. Guess every game has its whiners.
Thats rifle nades, not panzer.

StickyBar prevents a recharged bar upon respawn (ETPro Mod, used by every ladder).
As well as axis having upto a 30 second respawn (meaning 2 shots at best when stickybar is disabled) and allies would spawn away from the action and again have around 20 second respawns, meaning with good timing, 2 shots at best within 20 seconds).

The panzers blast radius isn't excessive, although on less skilfull servers (as well as those with >20 players) panzers can kill up to 3-4 people at once, although this is normally due to the people being shot at conveniently standing in a group.
Also, panzers are limited to 1 per team on most ETPro servers.
iamtrip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2004, 07:31 AM   #19
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
LOL. When I was in the Army and on manuvers or training missions, the evaluators would always walk up and yell, "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! You're all dead!" whenever they'd see a group of us together.

The rule was don't bunch up and stay spread out.

And because we all new that it was Soviet (the enemy back then) doctrine to use a chemical munition in every third round, the fact that he said, "BOOM" three times meant that we had go to MOPP Level Four with all of our Nuclear Biological Chemica Protective gear.

I tried to argue "why, since we're already dead?" once. I never argued it again after that

In real life, if you bunch up you become an easy target for the enemy. The same is true I suppose in video games.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #20
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Hey, even I will admit that there are such things as skilled staffers.

My main problem with staff is that from a technical standpoint, it utterly eviscerates single in both speed and power/damage over time... And the backflip escape that no other style has an equivalent to... And the infinity chain... And the gross Saber Offense imbalance in full force...

*Refrains from digging up that big list on why staff and dual are imbalanced compared to single*

Kurgan's Meatgrinder (JA Server: 72.5.248.212:29070)

Player tested, Valtiel approved.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Lathain Valtiel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #21
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Lath, you gotta remember, single has tons of 1 hit kills, not to mention the saber with the most moves....and on most servers, single yellow can kill in one quick sweep.

Not to mention the single red bugged overhead swing, that will do max damage, even if the saber stops swinging and you happen to be near the saber.

Old 09-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #22
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
What? In one yellow slash? You have got to be kidding me, unless you're talking left-right sweep spam. Which I ignore because of the fact that both dual and staff can do it, and do it better no less.

The red one hit kill is probably due to locational, and is very rarely consistently a one shot kill in my extremely extensive experience with NF saber. As for the bug, that's like the DFA... Not sure if that's even a bug, though if yawspinned it's hellishly annoying. But it's still slow as hell, and a decent staffer should be able to gut you for daring to try it.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Old 09-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #23
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Single is really weird. I've even seen 1 blue swing to 150....and yes it was blue. Seems so random sometimes.

Woot! I got my first thank you!

"thx for the website, i read it last night and preactice all day, alot ppl saw a big improvement. i gotta tell u ur master of staff"

Makes me feel all warm and squishy. Either that, or I sat in something...

Old 09-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #24
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
There's a way to sweep blue so that it LOOKS like one swing or two, but does ludicrous damage... Is that what you saw possibly?

Old 09-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #25
Sam Fisher
eh.

Actually, one hit kills with single are pretty hard to get, unless you know exactly how to get it. For example, the overhead swing into them, then the backflip out that drags through them twice, and if you get it placed just right, it kills instantly.

Or if you spin (which I detest with a passion) or wiggle.

But if you just play a solid game of staff on single, no one really knows who'll win.

Old 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #26
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Yes... It's not easy to do at all.

Staff will tend to win vs single if they sit there and just abuse side slash sweeps if you do anything... Against those bastards who refuse to move, I simply cut them once, and retreat until the time limit is up. Victory by default.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wink

Lathain is my hero.. (see above) ; )

Thanks Rp for posting the article, and I'll add a link to it tomorrow, with the warning about IE/bandwidth. But, I would still encourage you to make the site a little more friendly for modem/non-IE users.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #28
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
For what? The cut and time limit thing? You shouldve seen the reaction I got when I pulled that on one guy who mocked me after I lost once to the staff defene tactic.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #29
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
lath fighting euro (no offense to euros)

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2004, 02:55 AM   #30
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Hey, he was an *******. He deserved it.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #31
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up

Sounds like it. ; )

PS: The link is posted at the the page below:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/other.shtml

Look okay?

If you modify it in the future, let me know and I'll update the description too!

Edit: Oops, link fixed. ; )

Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #32
Kurgan
Headhunter

Arrow You're not dreaming!

Well, I said I wasn't going to do it, but I had some free time on my hands tonight and was in an obsessive/compulsive mood, so here you go...

Zips with the FIXED pages that I think will be quit a boon to your visitors.

PS: A nice thank-you somewhere on your site would be nice if you use this. ; )

See attachments (part 1 of 2).

Part 1 is half the thumbnails...

Old 09-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #33
Kurgan
Headhunter

Arrow Here you go!

Part 2 contains the other half of the thumbnails, plus the html files.

Both files contain (the same) Readme file which describes the changes I made.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #34
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Yay, thanks a ton. I'll work on it asap

Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 PM   #35
Kurgan
Headhunter

Excellent, and if you could put a link or button right at the start of main to launch it in a new page (without the border/frames and music) that would really be nice for non-IE users (of which I am one!).

Old 09-17-2004, 06:22 AM   #36
Crow_Nest
Forum Spammer

Hey thats a great stradgey guide Rp! make you can start your own business!

Well but i still dont really understand your staff lunge attack can you explain it again?

Btw, your sites down.

Xbox 360 Gamertag: cr0wnes7
Crow_Nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #37
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Goes down from time to time.

Staff lunge....do you mean uppercut?

I'll show you ingame, sometime.

(walk)Back+Left+Attack at same time, or back+left then quickly attack will do the uppercut. However, it's best to...right after you hit those three, to immediatly release walk and run forward.

That way, you uppercut while going forward....which is very effective because you gain a sudden and unexpected quick yard.

(walk) |Back + Left| + Attack (release walk) + Forward

Old 09-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #38
Crow_Nest
Forum Spammer

Oh i get it now. Thanks

Btw, theres this cool move that can be done in MP and SP for staff.

This only works when you are strafting right, while running to your right (holding the D key) do an uppercut but in right direction, which means you gotta press S key + attack while holding down D. After you did the uppercut quickly let go of S (Continuing to hold down D and attack of course) you should do this cool move in which you will swing your saber behind your back.

However this move is only good during huge FFAs, where there are alot of people crowding around swinging, doing katas and stuff. It could cause pretty much damage to anyone who touches your blade while swinging. This move actually sucks in duels, cause its only 1 on 1.

Xbox 360 Gamertag: cr0wnes7
Crow_Nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #39
Kurgan
Headhunter

Well, RP, not to be a nag or anything, but are you going to post that update I did for you?

You did say you'd get on it...

Old 10-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #40
Kurgan
Headhunter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by RpTheHotrod on 9-15-2004
Yay, thanks a ton. I'll work on it asap
Whoa.. Rp, what's up man?

Been nearly a month since I updated my site last, I know, but c'mon.

I posted those files for a reason. It took me a few hours to do 'em and I figure it will take you maybe 10 minutes max to upload 'em to your site.

Can't you do me a favor and update, or did you forget?

The links still work.

*sigh*

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Help Center > Strategy Shack > At last, I got around to it. (Staff Strategies)