lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island The Play
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #41
guybroom
Troezen

we all know it's ghost pirate lechuck, but strings won't work. Some one in a mask would be fine. unless your trying to make it look exactly like the game (don't).

And I'm going to get nightmares about the face --- it's scary

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
guybroom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #42
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by guybroom
we all know it's ghost pirate lechuck, but strings won't work.
Why not?, i think it would be funny, especially if you saw the strings. The fact is, this is meant to be a funny play, when people see the strings, they'll laugh, it's the whole fun of it.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #43
megacles

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshi
Was that some failed forumula for the Hulk?

Just have him up on (clearly visible) strings with a wind machine of some sort blowing the bottom of his clothes. It's funny and effective.

bit of blue makeup and so on, goes down a treat. Remember, LeChuck isn't a zombie yet.
Even in ghost form, he had a skull-like head. And that prosthetic comes unpainted, so it would be easy enough to paint it blue or white or whatever.

And working out the logistics of rigging an actor to fly is probably too much for his budget and time constraints.
megacles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #44
megacles

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshi
Why not?, i think it would be funny, especially if you saw the strings. The fact is, this is meant to be a funny play, when people see the strings, they'll laugh, it's the whole fun of it.
I disagree. I think LeChuck went downhill in the games when they stopped taking him seriously. Even if the play is a comedy, there has to be tension between Guybrush and LeChuck.

If LeChuck is portrayed as a cheap effect, the audience won't take him seriously, and they will never see him as a real threat to poor innocent Guybrush.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #45
megacles

I think guybroom is right, a mask would probably work best. Easy to get on and off, which is a big factor. Mabye you could consider one of these movable jaw masks?

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/mask.html
Old 01-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #46
pirate boy
Rookie

LeChuck still has flesh upon his bones mates. The likely approach is go for a ROB ZOMBIE look. So the actor will likely be a ghastly dead color.

I've played around with the idea of prosthetics for a LONG
time. I've actually found a very simplified version. Simply because we're going to be turning 15 actors into zombies and in the world of plastic that is a lot of money.

The simplified approach is this,

all the clothing on the zombies are going to be made bigger than the person actually is.
For makeup they will be painted black and covered in liquid latex in places which flakes off and is reasonably cheap. We then have glow in the dark paint which we will use to show where certain bones are. There's going to be a row of blacklights hanging off the stage which will illuminate these features. On the face of all things tissues can be very easily molded to look like coming off flesh. I'll send pictures of what I mean.
pirate boy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #47
guybroom
Troezen

nice idea for the zombies. But are you going to try for the see-through effect? I have no idea how it would work, but if anyone has any ideas it would be fun.

I'm still annoyed i won't be able to see it. After so much time and effort i've put into it.

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 01-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #48
megacles

How are you going to do Fester Shinetop?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #49
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
A good idea for lechuck would be to use glow in the dark paint and dim the lights
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #50
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by megacles
How are you going to do Fester Shinetop?
Different makeup would be ideal, but it'd be hard on the reveal. A good idea would be a double at that precise point of change, and a bit of smoke and mirrors should take care of the rest.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #51
pirate boy
Rookie

There's going to be a completely different actor for Fester.
The only way that the audience could even contemplate that these two characters are the same person is that they are going to wield around the same sword.
But basically what'll happen is Fester'll double down behind a giant table with a cloth over it. LeChuck'll pop up and shred like a second pair of Fester clothes. Maybe include like a rubber mask or something. But there can be like a quick spray from the fog machine. It'll be cool.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #52
guybroom
Troezen

why can you not use a mask and cloathing that can just be taken on and off very quickly? It would look better if the audience can see the transformation on stage.

What are you doing with the script? how close to the game is it? and are you using all the sets? like paco vink's comic version he skips some stuff out.

And I've seen the world of monkey island has a small thing about the play.

(no i'm not being payed to link you to them)

bye all

Guybroom
Old 01-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #53
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
For the transformation just release a buncha smoke and quickly change
Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #54
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
There's probably a lot of prostetics that need to be put on for lechuck, two seperate actors would be better. Will the sword be detailed in such a way that some people would be able to notice it's lechucks?

Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #55
megacles

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate boy
There's going to be a completely different actor for Fester.
The only way that the audience could even contemplate that these two characters are the same person is that they are going to wield around the same sword.
But basically what'll happen is Fester'll double down behind a giant table with a cloth over it. LeChuck'll pop up and shred like a second pair of Fester clothes. Maybe include like a rubber mask or something. But there can be like a quick spray from the fog machine. It'll be cool.
That sounds quite effective!

Are there any updates on the status of the play? Have you finished casting?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #56
pirate boy
Rookie

Yes. The cast was casted back in December before break.
Scripts have been handed out and people have been slowly looking over their lines.
We aren't allowed to use the theater until March because the musical has first dibs. SO, any meetings we hold between now and March will have to be held outside of school.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #57
guybroom
Troezen

Just a thought, but for the casting have you tried for the voices as well as (i would guess) looks

bye all

Guybroom
Old 01-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #58
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
THe problem is there were no voice actors in Secret of Monkey island
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 AM   #59
pirate boy
Rookie

I think what he meant was when I casted the show was I also looking for voices similar to that in the game Curse and Escape?

No, I went more on the lines of actors abilities and somewhat their overall appearance. I hope and encourage them to play the games. If they want to base their voices off of those in the game then that'll be left up to them.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #60
guybroom
Troezen

Fair enough.

Why do i get the feeling you've casted/directed a play before.

bye all

Guybroom
Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #61
pirate boy
Rookie

I directed, produced, and stared in a play that I wrote last year. I was given less than four weeks to pull together a show meant to be a film. And half of the actors were meant to be women. So I had to make amens and change a bunch of stuff.
So I am coming in to Monkey Island with quite a bit of knowledge from the previous go around.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #62
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Just a suggestion, but you should probably make them only play the first 2 so they're not swayed b y the voices put on in the second 2. That way they can make the character their own and play it how they seem fit.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #63
guybroom
Troezen

I agree - I would play guybrush as MI3. I would not play as MI1 or 2 execprt for the scrip

bye all

Guybroom
Old 01-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #64
pirate boy
Rookie

I think some of the people would get frustrated with the lack of sound. I swear sometime that half of our drama department suffers from ADD.
But I'll definately suggest the idea...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #65
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Understandable, if you weren't a fan from the beginning, it'd be hard to get into it now with little sound and poor graphics.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 AM   #66
robinthecrow
Lurker

So whats the update matey?

Thanks,
David

DAM Productions
http://welcome.to/damfilms
robinthecrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 AM   #67
scumm local
Banned

very good ! maybe it would be best to send it to ron gilbert cause i cant see lucas arts wanting you making a new versioun if you do manage to do this dont involve lucas arts in any features trust me it will ruin it
scumm local is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #68
guybroom
Troezen

Quote:
Originally posted by scumm local
very good ! maybe it would be best to send it to ron gilbert cause i cant see lucas arts wanting you making a new versioun if you do manage to do this dont involve lucas arts in any features trust me it will ruin it
Did I miss something? Because I don't think that Pirate Boy ever said they would give it to Lucasarts or anyone.

Someone tell me if I missed something.

bye all

Guybroom
Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #69
scumm local
Banned

it was easy to miss but if hes gonna ask for their permissioun thell want to be involved
Old 02-15-2005, 02:27 AM   #70
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
He just asked them for permission to put on a play. I doubt they'll get that involved, big companies do this all the time. And ron gilbert doesn't have any say in the matter.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #71
scumm local
Banned

I thought he was making it into a game i cant imagine someone making the secret of monkey island into a play it wouldnt be funny it wouldnt be able to have a dtory with sense can you see guybrush picking up tons on stage until eventually stopping a wedding i misunderstood his title good werk pulling it off in your back yard
Old 02-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #72
guybroom
Troezen

That does make an interesting point. Will guybrush have loads of stuff in his trousers?

bye all

Guybroom
Old 02-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #73
scumm local
Banned

maybe the actor will be a body builder and be hable to carry em all in their pants ?(dies laffing)anyway im a local idiot ill play guybrush ! but you better have a sexy elaine
Old 02-17-2005, 05:11 AM   #74
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by scumm local
I thought he was making it into a game i cant imagine someone making the secret of monkey island into a play it wouldnt be funny it wouldnt be able to have a dtory with sense can you see guybrush picking up tons on stage until eventually stopping a wedding i misunderstood his title good werk pulling it off in your back yard
Did you read any of the actual thread? the plays already in production, on a real stage and everything. Give the guy his props, it sounds like it's gonna be great.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 AM   #75
scumm local
Banned

ok but i read some come on monkey island aint 1 of them serious aventure games and no matter how many times you try explain mi to anybody who never seen it it doesnt work out theres hardly any tensioun in it its a humor game with funny puzzles that would never ever work in real life anyways how could it be long either youd add all of it and wed be up all night or cut to key points of the game.it aint gonna happen best of luck tho
Old 02-18-2005, 02:48 AM   #76
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Not all plays have to be serious with tention. People are always complaining about why it couldn't be a movie and I always say pretty much the same things as you've just said, but I think a play is a step in the right direction. In a play, people are looking for a chance to get away from things and laugh. People can be amazed or interested in how people do things as apposed to putting it down to CGI and in effect, the stage would be the best place. Of course the puzzels wouldn't be included, I'm guessing this play would very much focus on the story rather than the gameplay and puzzels and lord knows there's enough story to go around (if you actually talk to everyone as much as possible in the game, you'll find out a lot).

More proof that this could be a play not based on puzzels, but rather story and comedy would be Paco vinks Comic, which doesn't rely much on the puzzels and is still really entertaining. show it to anyone who doesn't know about MI and they'll love it as well.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #77
scumm local
Banned

theyd have to change some of it tho come on who the heck is gonna go to a play with loeds of ridiculous characters that have hardly any point i never could imagine that it would be funny because what was most fun about mi was the fact guybrush is your guybrush you could decide what to do and it might take you a day or so to work a puzzle out and when you did it was brilliant feeling of being smart and as much as id like to see a puppet of a three headed monkey i cant see this working out
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #78
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
With enough planning, it'll work out fine, people will go and see it, trust me.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #79
guybroom
Troezen

Quote:
theyd have to change some of it tho come on who the heck is gonna go to a play with loeds of ridiculous characters that have hardly any point i never could imagine that it would be funny because what was most fun about mi was the fact guybrush is your guybrush you could decide what to do
I cant see the points in your argument. I understand that you prefer the game and that you can control guybrush, but it is a PLAY!!! This means that the person on stage has a script and does not spend three days looking for the answer to the puzzle.

There is a big difference in the two and the whole point is that it is not a game.

(I'm probably not making too much sence here so i'm sorry)

Also your point of a load of strange characters:

I'm debating with myself wether you have ever been to a play? Or even seen a single programme on TV? Or ever seen a film?

I really do just have to give those as answers. You are saying that no one will see a play with loads of rediculous characters - they will. We have all played a game with loads of rediculous characters. (yes I mean MI)

So unless I've missed something in your arguments i think ive just given you some answers.

bye all

Guybroom
Old 02-20-2005, 03:58 AM   #80
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Shakespere was one of the best playwrights in the world and most of his plays had confusing and stragne characters in weird circumstances. This should be a perfectly normal play which is why I stand by my statement that it will be best placed as a play rather than a movie.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > Monkey Island The Play