lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island The Play
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 AM   #81
guybroom
Troezen

I disagree with that.

I think that it would work fine as both a play and a film. Obviously we need to see how the play goes, but I think a film version would be fine.

as a film it could have the computer graphics that we are not able to have on stage and also there is not much difference between a stage and film except that a film is on a screen and a play is real.

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
guybroom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 AM   #82
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by guybroom
as a film it could have the computer graphics that we are not able to have on stage
Exactly, I think it's a lot better when things like brilliant special effects don't get in the way of the acting.

And there is a lot of difference between plays and films, but i'm not going to get into them here.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #83
pirate boy
Rookie

To reply to some.... confusion I guess
Monkey Island will be done as a play. It will be held on April 21st and 29th, 2005 at 7:00 pm. We have a very nice budget (I'm not going to put figures online but I can assure you that we'll have enough to put on a very nice show)
Guybrush will shove things down his pants. basically elastic wasteband and large pockets built into the insides of his pants.
The sets will be really amazing. Our set designer had a look at the games and liked the look of the third game. He insisted that it be incorperated into the look of the sets so... can't wait to see it all come together.
We haven't got to meet and talk about Monkey Island stuff at my school in a while. It's been very difficult lately cause I just had surgery and the musical is going on, so everyone is incredibly busy and lacking focus.
we start actual rehearsals in March.
pirate boy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #84
guybroom
Troezen

I'll be interested to know what the cast is like. Not names or anything (because that would be pointless) but I would be interested to know what talent you have.

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #85
scumm local
Banned

hope it all goes well maybe youll do a video clip of it for us id like to see the faces of old peapole seeing guybrush stuff stuff into his underpants
scumm local is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #86
guybroom
Troezen

I want to see the look of Guybrush stuffing stuff down his trousers.

There are swords and spades and T-shirts and rubber chicken with a pully in the middle and melting grog cups and everything. I want to know how big the trousers will be

bye all

Guybroom
Old 03-22-2005, 11:09 PM   #87
Mr Cheese
Rookie

Are you going to have music in it? It would be cool if you downloaded the music onto a cd and used it in the play! It would set the mood really well.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Mr Cheese is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #88
Mr Cheese
Rookie

Oh, and make it music from CMI or EMI. Just because it's MI1 doesn't mean the music should be from MI1.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:38 AM   #89
guybroom
Troezen

I agree that not all the music should be SOMI - i havent played it in a while but I remember it was slightly dull.

But i dont agree that it should be on CD. I think it would work just as well - if not even better - if the music was live.

bye all

Guybroom
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #90
Mr Cheese
Rookie

How would you play the music live? You'd need an entire orchestra there to get the same effect, and it would cost an awful lot of money, and I think pirate boy only has a lot of money.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #91
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
You don't need an orchestra with a play, someone on the piano, accompanied by someone on guitar and finish off with the flute or something. Nothing big, just so you can get the melody out. We're not talking about huge blockbuster John Williams music here.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #92
guybroom
Troezen

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshi
You don't need an orchestra with a play, someone on the piano, accompanied by someone on guitar and finish off with the flute or something. Nothing big, just so you can get the melody out. We're not talking about huge blockbuster John Williams music here.
That's what I was talking about. I didnt think about the actuall instruments when I posted, but I think there is an instrument that you missed out - steel drums.

If you want a Jamacan feel to the music you need the steel drums

bye all

Guybroom
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #93
Scummbuddy

We're less than a month away, and yes, I'm still planning on attending. Could you let me know how I could go about getting 2 tickets, so that I can make sure I can come. I will be bringing my video camera.

Can't wait for the show.

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 AM   #94
pirate boy
Rookie

Wow haven't been on in a while. For the longest time no one was saying anything so I've been focusing on the show. It's been hell but it's coming along.

In less than two weeks we go on. Wow...

There will be music. Didn't have time to get a band together so it'll be mostly compiled of music from a cd. There's two dance sequences (would've been three but we're running out of time and people aren't showing up to rehearsals)

It will not sell out I can promise you this. Our auditorium seats over a thousand people and even for our musicals (our biggest seller) it has never sold out. If you are concerned however about getting your tickets I can mail them to you if you like. Give me an email at creator@youtes.com and we can talk about doing that for you.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #95
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Dance Sequence?! Now were talking! Where in the story will they be?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #96
pirate boy
Rookie

The zombie pirates do a jig once Guybrush puts on the necklace of eyeballs they dance out to "Thriller"

and this may get cut if we don't get far enough along but Carla, Otis, and Meathook sing 'The pirates who don't do anything' when Guybrush tries to get them involved on the High Seas.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #97
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Oh, okay, kinda like "A pirate I was meant to be" in CMI, but obviously with different lyrics and all. Cool.

The pirates dancing to Thriller sounds cool.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #98
guybroom
Troezen

THRILLER!!! THRILLER NIGHTS!!!

I wish i could be there!!!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 04-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #99
pirate boy
Rookie

http://www.geocities.com/youtes1/monkeyisland.txt

http://www.geocities.com/youtes1/monkeyisland2.txt

Just for those wondering if there actually is a Monkey Island play happening, the answer is yes. Hope you enjoy the pictures (guy on left is Guybrush and the woman on the right is the Voodoo Lady *she's going to do it in an indian accent*)

If you're in the Maryland area come and see it
April 21st and 29th
Old 04-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #100
megacles

Looking good! Are those the clothes they'll be wearing? Or are you getting period costumes?
megacles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #101
pirate boy
Rookie

No they'll be definately wearing periodic costumes. This was just for rehearsal, I wanted to have something to show you guys.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #102
guybroom
Troezen

What about wigs? The hair looked wrong

bye all

Guybroom
Old 04-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #103
Mr Cheese
Rookie

The voodoo lady needs a fat suit. She's too skinny!

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #104
Melancholick
Rookie

Eh? Why an Indian accent instead of the presumable Jamaican one?

Looking good, too.
Melancholick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2005, 01:52 AM   #105
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

Duh, because she's Indian?

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #106
guybroom
Troezen

How's the show going? It should be showing now with the dates you gave.

What's it like?

bye all

Guybroom
Old 04-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #107
pirate boy
Rookie

DETAILS
THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND =SUCESS

89 rollicking audience members (we were only expecting 40) left the auditorium on the 21st smiling earnest smiles wondering the next night of the play would be. We definately got some major laughs... everywhere. We had several people there who've played the game before and were surprised about how much of the original game was actually interpretted into the play. A few glitches here and there, most were comically ignored.

Drinks were sold at the door from a bar like setting included
Creme Soda, Root Beer, and Grog
along with the traditional Coca Cola products

Voodoo Lady stole the show and everyone loved Guybrush. What the best part is, this was supposed to be the bad night. Friday of this week will be even better, more packed, and everything will be much much smoother.

I've already taken a couple of pictures, I plan to take dozens more of the actors and sets that are absolute gorgeous and hopefully scummbar will be nice enough to feature them on their website showing off the hardwork these individuals put into this show. It is because of the fans on forums like this that I put this show together. I'm amazed at your devotion to this play, even if you couldn't have been there.
In terms of the script... not yet but let me check with Lucas first besides what is left of what I originally wrote has either been modified or expanded on.

I have to go do homework but I wanted to let you guys know how well we did.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:52 AM   #108
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Any chance of an online script?

Oh, and congrats on the success! I knew it would work well as a play.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #109
guybroom
Troezen

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate boy
It is because of the fans on forums like this that I put this show together. I'm amazed at your devotion to this play, even if you couldn't have been there.
Awwwwww

*sob* I'm honored!!!!

You did all that for me? There are cheeper and easier ways of making me happy.

[serious bit] that all sounds really good. Well done. I agree with Joshi - I wouldnt mind seeing the script [/serious bit]

I know I put a lot of work and hours into this - and i expect to be well payed!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #110
pirate boy
Rookie

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ck=1&cset=true
Old 05-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #111
guybroom
Troezen

Im not gonna spend time making an account - what's it say?

bye all

Guybroom
Old 05-05-2005, 10:35 PM   #112
pirate boy
Rookie

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/sho...=communitynews
Old 05-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #113
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

See you in jail

Pirates and a villain will roam the stage

A swashbuckling play, written by a Hammond senior, is to be performed tonight

By Dana Klosner-Wehner
Special To The Sun

April 29, 2005

Hammond High School senior Chris Heady wrote, produced, directed and stars in The Secret of Monkey Island, which will be performed at 6:30 p.m. today at Hammond High School.

The swashbuckling, colorful production is based on a popular video game series bearing the same name by LucasArts Entertainment Co. The play includes pirates, a damsel in distress and a villain. It is tongue-in-cheek and pokes fun at the likes of Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars, Heady said.

Mission accepted

The plot - written in the same vein as the video games - follows hero Guybrush Threepwood, played by Hammond junior Matt Lehtonen, as he completes three missions to become a pirate. These include hunting treasure, sword fighting and stealing an idol. Moments after completing these missions, he discovers the island's beautiful governor, played by senior Alicia Sprull, has been kidnapped by an evil pirate, played by Heady. Threepwood sets out to save her from another island where she has been whisked away. On the way, he thwarts a mutinous crew, a voodoo spell and cannibals.

Much like the show's main character, Heady had to overcome many obstacles to get the show off the ground.

"The game has a huge fan base online," said Heady, who wrote and produced another play for an independent study project at school last year. "Around the time Pirates of the Caribbean came out, they were all arguing [through postings on an Internet bulletin board] that Monkey Island would make a great movie. I thought they can argue forever and nothing will ever come of it."

Heady - who has been acting since he was 5 at Drama Learning Center and is a Cappie nominee (an organization that recognizes high school theater) for his role in a recent school production of Bye Bye Birdie - decided a play would be right up his alley. He went to work last summer.

'Hitting roadblocks'

"He wrote the play for no credit at all," said gifted-and-talented resource teacher Debbie Messer. "He was trying to get licensing from LucasArts to get [the play] produced, but he was hitting roadblocks."

When school started, Messing helped him find the right people to get the necessary contract for licensing LucasArts' characters and plots.

"They gave us the rights to run it for one year," Heady said. "As long as the scripts did not go to anyone but cast and crew, and as long as it was shown for nonprofit purposes."

With the legal question out of the way, Heady was required to get approval from the school board and school Principal Sylvia Patillo. That done, Heady had to arrange rehearsal time in the school auditorium and recruit teachers who would volunteer to supervise rehearsals.

All missions were completed. But because the play was an independent production, the school could not provide any funding.

"This was going to be quite expensive," Heady said. "We needed to buy props and costumes."

There was a possibility the show would not go on. But when friends heard of Heady's plight, they pulled together.

"Chris always supports everyone else," said Sven Radhe, 19, a Hammond High School graduate who plays drums in Curbside, a local band. "As a friend, he is always there providing a shoulder to lean on. He has always supported the band by drawing posters and whatever else we needed. We didn't want to let money get in the way of his dream."

Benefit concert

During the winter, Radhe put together a benefit concert that included four other local bands. The show sold out and raised $800. That, coupled with some of the money Heady made from part-time jobs, was enough to give the show its sea legs.

After an open audition, the show had 15 cast members and a crew of 10. All, including Heady, are volunteers receiving no school credit for the production.

The cast and crew enjoy working for Heady, who they say has a clear, creative vision, but is open to ideas.

The project provided creative outlets behind the scenes, as well. Hammond junior Kate Lally, the show's costume director, had creative control over the wardrobe. In the school's Bye Bye Birdie production, she was an assistant.

"It was a great opportunity to do things myself," Lally said. "Chris is a perfectionist, and sometimes it was stressful to get things to be exactly as he wanted them, but it was all for the better. It made me work harder."

An accomplishment

"It was just me and Chris, with no greater authority to hold us down," said Hammond senior Kori Chaney, the assistant director. "If something was wrong, we had to fix it. It really gave me a sense of accomplishment."

And for Heady, the hard work has paid off. The play was performed last Thursday, and he received great feedback.

"I really enjoyed transforming an idea in my head to something written on a page, to something performed on stage that the audience enjoys."

Heady is also an accomplished artist - his work has been shown at Howard County Center for the Arts and The Mall in Columbia. He plans to attend an art institute in the fall.

"The Secret of Monkey Island" will be performed at 6:30 tonight at Hammond High School. Tickets are $5. Information: 410-313-7615.

Copyright 2005, The Baltimore Sun

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #114
guybroom
Troezen

Well done! It sounds like it was really good. If I was a yank (in the right place) then I'd have seen it.

Well done!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 05-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #115
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
That's great. Pity we can't see a script, but no matter, sounds like it went really well.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #116
Banana Picker
Lurker

I'm the guy who played Herman Toothrot, The Lookout, and the Voodoo Head in the show and I have to tell you... the script is probably one of the farthest things you'll find from the true beauty of the production. Alot of it had to do with improv and the sets, which chris aka pirate boy should be posting on the site one of these days... maybe.
Banana Picker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #117
megacles

I'm surprised no one else has asked this... is there any chance of seeing pics or video from the production?
megacles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #118
pirate boy
Rookie

I have 100 pictures taken of the actual show. Worldofmi is in talk of hosting them on their website just it'll take a while to get them all up and they're kindof busy. If scummbar is willing to host them as well someone please let me know.

As for video, it was my understanding that scummbuddy had gotten videotape of the show. Last I heard he was breaking down the format into smaller chunks for easier viewing
Old 05-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #119
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by pirate boy
I have 100 pictures taken of the actual show. Worldofmi is in talk of hosting them on their website just it'll take a while to get them all up and they're kindof busy. If scummbar is willing to host them as well someone please let me know.

As for video, it was my understanding that scummbuddy had gotten videotape of the show. Last I heard he was breaking down the format into smaller chunks for easier viewing
Yeah, send me a mail at remster@gmail.com and we'll add it somewhere.

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #120
pirate boy
Rookie

Ok, I just started. I'll send five at a time to keep the email sizes down.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > Monkey Island The Play