lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Battlefront System Spec Questions [MERGE]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Triforcer
Rookie

Playing below required specs

My comp is 1.6 Pentium M IBM laptop with 40GB memory and 1024 gigs of RAM. However the graphics card is only a 32mb Radeon 7500.

I KNOW that the require is a 64mb card, please don't just reply to repeat that. However, I have played other games below specs in certain categories, and none of them have per se barred me from playing...SWG for example I could play as long as I stayed away from populated cities.

So, do you think on the very lowest settings there is ANY chance I could play with a minimum of slowdown, given my monster RAM and other acceptable stats?

P.S. I can play Battlefield Vietnam on lowest settings on 32 person servers with virtually no lag. That's a helpful sign, at least, as the requirements are 64 mb there also...

EDIT: Thanks, mods.

Last edited by Triforcer; 09-12-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Triforcer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
(Remember the little edit button instead of double posting)

I don't see why you couldn't play Battlefront with those specs if you can play Vietnam.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Schetter
Rookie

As long as your card specifically supports "Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability" - as the requirements specify - then you might be able to play, but I wouldn't expect a framerate that would be very enjoyable to play with. Especially on a laptop.

Look up the specifics on the capabilities of your card and see if it supports the T&L, otherwise I'd say you're sunk. From what I've seen from videos downloaded here and there off the net, the graphics in this game are going to be a considerable step up from those of BF:Nam, which was really just an upgraded BF:1942 engine.

Final word: on the fence pending futher investigation.
Schetter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Triforcer
Rookie

I just looked it up...apparently it was like one of the first Radeons (or the first, not sure from the article I read) to have T&L. So yes, the capability is there.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
JDKnite188

You should be fine as long as run on low settings. Although the card will be a problem, you can make up for it with the excess RAM and high CPU.

Cheers,
JDKnite188

Hopin' LEC is going to get on track and bring us a decent JK for the JKers of 1997.
JDKnite188 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2004, 04:24 AM   #6
BawBag™

Re: Playing below required specs

Quote:
Originally posted by Triforcer
P.S. I can play Battlefield Vietnam on lowest settings on 32 person servers with virtually no lag. That's a helpful sign, at least, as the requirements are 64 mb there also...
I have BF:V and it runs fine with me.

And for the record, thats on Integrated AGP graphics.

So I'll be buying BattleFront, confident I can play online just as well as BF:V and Jedi Academy.
BawBag™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
Triforcer
Rookie

I can't get a PC...I am a poor law student who has to make do with his laptop.

And to the guy who said get a better card...with the except of the new Dell XPS, no laptop to date has upgradable graphics ability. It may be coming with some new alienware tech, but it certainly isn't here for IBMS.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Triforcer
And to the guy who said get a better card...with the except of the new Dell XPS, no laptop to date has upgradable graphics ability. It may be coming with some new alienware tech, but it certainly isn't here for IBMS.
My Area-51m's graphic card can be upgraded

Of course I won't need to do that for a long while.

Hopefully your card is also compatible with DirectX 9.0c
Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 AM   #9
Triforcer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
My Area-51m's graphic card can be upgraded

Of course I won't need to do that for a long while.

Hopefully your card is also compatible with DirectX 9.0c
If it isn't, can I update the drivers and make it work? I'm honestly not sure if it is or not.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #10
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

I don't see why not. My PC at home has a GeForce 4 ti 4600, and it runs DirectX 9.0b just fine. People told me that it wouldn't be compatible.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #11
Vezner

In reply to #1

I think you will be able to run it ok on your PC. Your situation is not unlike mine in that my PC is good for the most part but lacks in one area. I've just decided to forget about the PC and buy it on the x-box though since I don't feel like spending tons of money to upgrade my PC.

-- I support George W. Bush and the USA.
-- I support the troops that are fighting and dying for our Freedom!
-- Free speech refers to political and religious rights...
NOT THE RIGHT TO BE PROFANE IN PUBLIC!
-- Christians have rights of expression too.
-- Star Wars Fan since 1979.

http://dwp.bigplanet.com/vezner1

Do you think EA is crap because they buy your favorite developer and then destroy it (ie Westwood and Origin)? Then click on this link and show your support for those who are against EA:http://gamersagainsteagames.com/
Vezner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
Paragon_XII
Rookie

help!

How can I see if my comp will run SWBF?

Paragon_XII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
RThailek
Lurker

Start, Run and type DXDIAG, then compare your current hardware configuration with the minimal requirements.
RThailek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

may I ask why PC players are so eager to make people play this on PC?? no offense, just wondering why people keep telling me to upgrade my PC when I clearly want Xbox

"It's Jango Fett! And he's brought his head!"
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #15
GhostPoet
Rookie

Re: Re: Playing below required specs

Quote:
Originally posted by BawBag™
I have BF:V and it runs fine with me.

And for the record, thats on Integrated AGP graphics.

So I'll be buying BattleFront, confident I can play online just as well as BF:V and Jedi Academy.

If you can play BF:V...you can play Battlefront.
GhostPoet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #16
JawaJoey
Forumite

The min requirements for a game are never the true min requirements. My freind's POS Acer laptop with a bad video card is able to run some games that is shouldn't possibly be able to. As long as the setttings are low, games run fine.

Quote:
may I ask why PC players are so eager to make people play this on PC?? no offense, just wondering why people keep telling me to upgrade my PC when I clearly want Xbox
Because games look and play better on PCs. They're easier to mod and patch. And FPSs suck on consoles. Period. No, be quiet, you don't know what you'e talking about. The FPS genre just doesn't work with a gamepad. Keyboard and mouse is at least a hundred gazillion times better in every concievable way, and if you disagree then you are an idiot with no intelligence or sense of perception, who is so terribly stupid that your existence is an insult to humanity and I decree, as a superior person, that you must immediately quarintine yourself from society so that your corrupt, malfunctioning genes won't recycle into the human gene pool.

[Edit: Hopefully that was sarcasm. - Moderator]

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.

Last edited by Kurgan; 10-19-2004 at 08:26 PM.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #17
JoelH1212
Lurker

Important question.

Hello, Im new here and i have a quick question to ask of someone that could please help me out. I have all the reccomended system requirements besides my graphics card its a geforce MX 420 with only 68MBs. and I was just wondering if this would slow down gameplay or would it just make it look less fancy? Because I care more on performace then the smoothness of the graphics. Also what mode would you think I should put the graphics on? Low, Meduim?
Thanks in advance!
JoelH1212
JoelH1212 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #18
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Re: Important question.

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelH1212
Hello, Im new here and i have a quick question to ask of someone that could please help me out. I have all the reccomended system requirements besides my graphics card its a geforce MX 420 with only 68MBs. and I was just wondering if this would slow down gameplay or would it just make it look less fancy? Because I care more on performace then the smoothness of the graphics. Also what mode would you think I should put the graphics on? Low, Meduim?
Thanks in advance!
JoelH1212
Welcome!

I think you will make it on low settings.

Minister of Outer Rim Garrison, a Dutch multigame clan
Website - Forums - Email
Mountainforest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #19
JoelH1212
Lurker

But how will it effect gameplay? Will it be slower or just not as high quality? will it make online horrible with lag? thats all im worried about.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:17 AM   #20
Mex
Not the brightest cookie.

It will be less quality because you'd have to turn the graphics down, but it should run good and not make you lag.
Mex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #21
JoelH1212
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Pal™
It will be less quality because you'd have to turn the graphics down, but it should run good and not make you lag.
YES! I hope your right. other comments are welcome.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:40 PM   #22
JoelH1212
Lurker

Will the models be like cubic in low graphics? hmmm
Old 09-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #23
Whoopknacker

No they just wont be as detailed is all. I would start saving a little here and there and get a higher end card. You can get a good one for $80-120 GeForce 5700 or better.

Thank you sir may I have another
Whoopknacker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #24
JoelH1212
Lurker

Woah I thought good graphics cards were like 200-300 bucks. Can I buy a good one at like a local best buy or comp USA?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #25
Darth_ToMeR
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelH1212
Woah I thought good graphics cards were like 200-300 bucks. Can I buy a good one at like a local best buy or comp USA?
The Best cards are 200$-300$ but normal one like Radeon9600Pro/XT, i think costs 150-200.

My KOTOR Mods Site:
http://darthtomer.tripod.com
Darth_ToMeR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #26
twruhl
Rookie

No, the "best" cards are easily over $400 +

New Community for Battlefront. Join this quickly growing community
http://www.battlefrontforum.com
twruhl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #27
Tyler_Durden

If you want the BEST prices on video cards, check out www.pricewatch.com

They have a lot of those cards at some low prices. They route you to the vendor with the best price on the card you're looking for.
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #28
WickedBadMan

Question Anyone playing with under system requirements graphics card?

Have a Geforce 2 MX (Don't need input on this). And I was wondering if the game would even run with it?
WickedBadMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #29
Iceman_IX

Minimum reqs are 64MB 3d card with Hardware T&L. If I'm not mistaken, then Geforce2 was the first to include Hardware T&L. So you should be okay. Can always take back to Walmart if it doesn't fly

Can verify this with a little googling.

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 05:20 AM   #30
JediCrow
Rookie

I have a 64MB Geforce4 MX and it is choppy as hell. But it depends on your other specs I suppose. Although usually no matter what your specs are, a weak graphics card can be a pretty serious bottleneck in system performance.
JediCrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 07:55 AM   #31
AgtSmith
Rookie

Well, seeing as how the engine locks performace at either 20 or 30 FPS and the graphics are very poor and the maps small I would think just about any graphics card would run this game, heck - anything as powerful as a console should run it because all SWBF is is a console game for the PC.
AgtSmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #32
JediCrow
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by AgtSmith
Well, seeing as how the engine locks performace at either 20 or 30 FPS and the graphics are very poor and the maps small I would think just about any graphics card would run this game, heck - anything as powerful as a console should run it because all SWBF is is a console game for the PC.
Actually, for me, it's a console game on a console. Imagine that!
JediCrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 AM   #33
JoelH1212
Lurker

hey im back, My card works! but I have to have the settings on low. would a Verto GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR work on at least meduim settings? its 100 bucks and I think i Might get it. I cant order online and its at comp usa so Im guessing its the best I can get for under 100.

EDIT oh also I cant see the cinema movies inbetween levels in the single player would this be because of my graphics card or another problem?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:46 AM   #34
FpS_Vandal
Rookie

Joel, here's the thing. the 128 cards are OK for this generation of games. I think you can get away with playing BF on high with it if you have a decent machine the rest of the way (+512ddr ram, +2.0 ghz processer ect)

BUT you may want to keep playing BF on low settings and save up for a cutting edge card...

here's why.

I struggled through four years without updating my old computer:

512 SD ram (much slower, may as well be 128.)
on board sound
600mhz Intel Celeron
64mb Geforce 4 mx420
20 GB HD

I saved up a pretty penny and picked up this beast:

1gb DDR ram
Audigy 2 sound
AMD 64 processer
ATI Radeon X800 pro 256DDR3mb
160 GB Serial ATA HD

-----
Now, the next gen hardware is already on the horizon. Right now your video card is pluged into a PCI slot, well the next gen mobos/processers are called PCIExpress, which has I belive double the transfer speed (may be 4x, I forget.) Either way, right now 256 mb is the cutting edge and 128 is the standard....soon 256 will become the standard and PCI:x will be the cutting edge.

Get yourself a few hundred dollars and pick up either a GeforceFX 256 or Radeon X800 pro/platnium. It'll be worth your money when running HL2 and all of the next gen PC titles.

Die rebel scum!!
FpS_Vandal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #35
Evil777
Lurker

There is an "Auto Detect" options in the graphics set up menue.
Evil777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #36
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
Whaddy'a think...will it work very well...?

O.K., I am happy to say I shall be getting a new computer (it was supposed to come on September 21st, but it got delayed because of the company getting confused with the credit card and location or something). I hope it'll come by the end of this week, or early next week (maybe Monday, my Birthday) Now, here are some of the system specs for the new computer:

1024 MB of RAM (1 GB of RAM)

nVidia GeForce 6800 gt 256 MB RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

AMD 64 3200 Processor

Windows XP Professional

Broadband Cable Connection (Earthlink)

How good do you think it'll fare? Will my computer run this game under the highest settings easily, without lag? I sure hope so, as the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra was number one on the best graphics card (tested under Doom 3) and the one I am getting is the second best.

I have been bored, and unable to play Star Wars: Battlefront until my new computer comes, as my current computer is...not good. It has a nVidia Riva TNT2 Pro video card...and 256 MB of RAM...

Then, after the computer comes, my Dad still has to install Windows XP Professional, Xandros Linux, and drivers...

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #37
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

Threads merged with existing ones.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 AM   #38
xenno
Lurker

movie problem

I'm also experiencing the move problem. The screen just goes black, i can hear sound just no video. i'm updated quicktime (just in case) direct x, and video drivers but nothing has helped. my system stats

AMD 2000+
512 mb ram
nvidia 440 mx (yeah i know but it's either college or a new card)
80 gigs on the hard drive
I'm unsure what would cause this. Anyone have an idea.

P.S. oh, i have all the video settings set to low and shut other down in an attempt to elimenate the card. I't set to 800x600 now. hmm, i wonder if my palette is set to high???!!
xenno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #39
JoelH1212
Lurker

Re: movie problem

Quote:
Originally posted by xenno
I'm also experiencing the move problem. The screen just goes black, i can hear sound just no video. i'm updated quicktime (just in case) direct x, and video drivers but nothing has helped. my system stats

AMD 2000+
512 mb ram
nvidia 440 mx (yeah i know but it's either college or a new card)
80 gigs on the hard drive
I'm unsure what would cause this. Anyone have an idea.

P.S. oh, i have all the video settings set to low and shut other down in an attempt to elimenate the card. I't set to 800x600 now. hmm, i wonder if my palette is set to high???!!
I have the same problem I dont get it....

oh also. I have a 68MB video card and I put my settings to high and it runs smooth and looks pretty good! I dont get it I thought 68MB couldent run high details?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #40
xenno
Lurker

ok, here's what i found out (i'm now playing finally). first you need to make sure you have direct x 9.0c installed. it's part of the install but just in case you decided to skip it using the expert install go back and install it anyway. If your using an older card you MUST have 9.0c compatible driver. for nvidia that would be the 61.77 driver. if not then you will have sound but no movies or background animations when your in the menu screens. I'm hoping this will help out those with black screens
xenno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Battlefront System Spec Questions [MERGE]