lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Scumm utility
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #1
tobybear
Lurker

New Scumm utility

Hi!
I wrote a little utility to view and extract all background images, room objects, costumes, animations and fonts from most of the LucasFilm/LucasArts games. It is still in beta version, but maybe someone is interested. Some stuff can of course also be achieved using the various editions of ScummRev, but I wanted to have one handy tool just for this purpose.

You can download my LucasRipper from this page:
http://www.tobybear.de/stuff.htm

Cheers

Toby

www.tobybear.de
tobybear is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 03:34 AM   #2
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Very nice! It's very similar to Scumm16. Nice one.

I would be interested to know how you decided on which colours to use for the fonts as in this thread. Or did you just guess?

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
tobybear
Lurker

Hi!
A new version is up, supporting more games, demos and platforms. Download location is the same.

@bgbennyboy:
The color of the font is set in the scripts, so that each actor can have a different color. Early Scumm games used monochrome fonts, so only one color. In later Scumm games, a font consists of multiple colors. The script sets the main color for the next line to speak, all other fonts colors are derived from this color (shading). As far as I remember, I just read the bytes and shift them like it is done in the ScummVM source code, so basically the palette defines the color.

Cheers

Toby
Old 09-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Okay, your utility is awesome.

It's the only one I've ever seen that can open Loom FM Towns files. I've been wanting to do that for ages. Thanks!

Also, your utility is so much easier to use for viewing AKOS files than is AkosRipper.

Using it, I found a couple of odd costumes in The Dig demo, showing really cartoony versions of Maggie and Brink on the PenUltimate. I'll have to post them sometime.

"What color is the tree?"
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Drigo Zoxx
Feel the Force...

Very nice one, Toby!! Keep up the good work!

I don't have a signature.
Drigo Zoxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Alros
Lurker

Noob ALERT

Dude I need some help I'm a total noob and cant use the prgram I tired my sam and max and the pictures are displayed scrambled, any help would be appreciated

Sam and Max 2, We hardly new ye.
Alros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
thpublic
Lurker

Any chance you could make it extract audio?
thpublic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 AM   #8
tobybear
Lurker

@Alros: What version of Sam N' Max do you have (language, platform, CD/disk, Talkie, ...)? I tested with English and German, Demo and Full, Disk and Talkie, all worked fine, except for the first room, which always seems to be garbled.

@thpublic: The code for accessing the audio blocks is already in the code (not for extracting file though), but I decided to leave it out as there are much better utilities for that (ScummRev & Scumm16 for example).

Cheers

Toby

www.tobybear.de
Old 10-03-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
jihanj
Lurker

Awesome! This is just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for putting all this stuff together.

I'm wondering if you're considering adding the "import" feature in the future though. You see, I'm in the process of translating The Secret of Monkey Island into my own native language, Korean. I have managed to translate most of the text in the game using the scummtr tool. But I wasn't able to edit the English texts that are part of the background (chapter screen, guybrush's idol-stealing cut-scene involving a lot of "ouch"s and "thud"s, etc.) since I haven't found the right tool for it. As I tried out LucasRipper I thought this could be the tool that I've been looking for only if it could import as well as export the images. Could this be a possibility in the future? Or do you recommend some other tool instead?

Thanks.
jihanj is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
masterdebator
Rookie

I am trying to develop a version of MI1 and MI2 in the CMI format, I need a great bit of help. I am trying to figure out what scripting tool I can use to do so exactly. I am sure many have tried and failed, but I want to make it happen, not as a sales pitch, but for fun. No selling, freeware, with permission of course.

masterdebator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 AM   #11
john_doe

Why don't you use an engine like AGS, AGAST etc?
Depends what you want, with AGS you can create basic adventure games with little scripting, while AGAST requires at least some basic programming skills, it's more flexible, though. It also supports 640x480 and you could also create a CMI-like verb-coin interface.
john_doe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2004, 04:52 AM   #12
masterdebator
Rookie

actually, in MI2, it is a voodoo doll of Guybrush, you know make him do stuff. And SMI it is currently a pirate wannabe map. If I could figure out how to get the stupid pictures to upload, well I'll just use photobucket.

masterdebator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2004, 03:27 AM   #13
ramy
Rookie

Cool ripper.

Quote:
@Alros: What version of Sam N' Max do you have (language, platform, CD/disk, Talkie, ...)? I tested with English and German, Demo and Full, Disk and Talkie, all worked fine, except for the first room, which always seems to be garbled.
I got it to work on samNmax disk version, and the first room didn't work for me either.

ramy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #14
tobybear
Lurker

Hi everyone!
A new version of LucasRipper is out, fixing a multitude of bugs and supporting more games (especially demos).

Download is on my site: www.tobybear.de

Cheers

Toby
Old 01-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
checkmate

This program can view AKOSes? Great! I'm sorry I never finished AkosView. I can't get myself to finish it, so thank you for making a different program capable of this (and a lot more)

Blore's Razor:
Given the choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier.
checkmate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2005, 02:08 AM   #16
Alros
Lurker

Monkey island

HOW CUMZIT I CANT GET CMI TO WORK ON LucasRipper
Its got reat graphics and background which I'll need touse and It DONT WORK WHYNOT?

Sam and Max 2, We hardly new ye.
Alros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2005, 02:10 AM   #17
tobybear
Lurker

Because it says in the program that CMI is not supported! CMI has its own codecs and file structure that I haven't decyphered yet.

Toby
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #18
Grendor
Lurker

I must say this is an extremely awesome program, though it has a problem with costume viewing. It only displays on section of the costume file, like in Maniac Mansion it will only display the legs. The version I have does anyway. Is this thing going to be updated? Also, the site is down for maintinence at the moment, when will it be up again?
Grendor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
tobybear
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendor View Post
I must say this is an extremely awesome program, though it has a problem with costume viewing. It only displays on section of the costume file, like in Maniac Mansion it will only display the legs. The version I have does anyway. Is this thing going to be updated? Also, the site is down for maintinence at the moment, when will it be up again?
1. This is how the costumes are stored for Maniac Mansion, Zak & others: legs, torsi, head as separate animations so disk space is saved. Animations are a combination of several these elements.

2. The are no plans for updates.

3. The site is down, but current version can be downloaded from here:
http://tobybear.phreque.com/files/lucasripper.zip

Cheers,
Toby
Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
dcnigma
Lurker

its a very nice app but will/can you add inject function that would be great!!!
png or bmp.
dcnigma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > New Scumm utility