lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Drug Debate
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #41
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by LucasTones
Would Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer have made the music they made without tripping out?
Well, that depends... Barrett was really the only Floyd member to use LSD to any extent, and we all know how it went with him... :~

So Pipers... was the only album recorded while tripping out, and I personally feel that both Barrett's solo stuff and Floyd's albums in the 70s were better than that.

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2004, 02:52 AM   #42
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Payne, drugs and smoking I can understand, but acoholic drinks wear off after a while and can be handled responsibly (I get drunk every now and then, I've never had a hangover and never been involved in any kind of drunken accident or violence) and there are plenty of alcoholic drinks out there that don't actually taste alcoholic and can still be enjoyable. Drink is a nice way of, not so much freeing the mind, but freeing yourself (I sound like a hippie) and forgetting to be cautious. Some people may find this a bad thing, but considering I am usually pretty reserved and contientious about things, drink helps me be a better person around my friends and so on.

The again I know plenty of people who can have the best of times without drinking and I respect them for it, so if you can do that, by all means, do it as in the long run, it is a good thing to not get drunk. But for now, I'm in my first year of university and there's little more I can do but drink and have fun.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2004, 03:13 AM   #43
DrMcCoy

Current Game: nethack
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshi
[...] there are plenty of alcoholic drinks out there that don't actually taste alcoholic [...]
eeew... why would anyone drink such a thing?

if(!strcmp(nick, "DrMcCoy") && !strcmp(avatar, "Spock")) return E_INSANE;
DrMcCoy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2004, 03:38 PM   #44
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by RemiO
Well, that depends... Barrett was really the only Floyd member to use LSD to any extent, and we all know how it went with him... :~

So Pipers... was the only album recorded while tripping out, and I personally feel that both Barrett's solo stuff and Floyd's albums in the 70s were better than that.
Well, I won't for one minute pretend that I know more about Floyd than you do, but I mentioned them because they're one of the most influential bands of all time, and as you say, Syd Barrett wasn't exactly unfamiliar with LSD. As I also said, I'm not sure if Robert Fripp of King Crimson was into LSD either, but this isn't really about the better music so much as the number of people who were involved in the movement and the incidence of LSD usage amongst them. I know for a fact that Greg Lake (of Emerson Lake & Palmer, and the first, and best, King Crimson album) was really into it, and he's one of the most reknowned guitarists still playing.

I don't know much about other groups such as Yes, or Jethro Tull, or Van Der Graaf Generator... certainly not enough to say that they all took LSD as a catalyst to great music - but I know that the late 60's was the time to "free your mind" and drop some acid, and it was also the point at which progressive rock was born. It's too... well, weird, to be classified as the greatest form of music, and there probably can't be a single greatest form of music anyway - but it was without a doubt very influential.

I'm labouring to explain my point here, but it's just not coming across - I'll just put it simply: LSD influenced many people in the 60's and 70's who would later go on to influence people in the 80's and 90's, and as such the drug was partly responsiable for a renaissance, of sorts. I certainly don't think it's a bad thing that these windows were opened, because I love the music.

And of course, it's not just music that was influenced... there are books written under the influence (Hunter S. Thompson, I presume) and of course movies (Easy Rider for one) - but I don't know much about those things

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #45
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by RemiO
Severe scitzophrenia and insanity. Oh yeah. Now we definately all know.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Skinkie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #46
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by LucasTones
I'm not sure if Robert Fripp of King Crimson was into LSD either,...
No, I'm pretty sure he wasn't.
He pretty much cleared that up in one of his Guitar Player magazine columns from way, way back. I have it around here somewhere. He decries the use of drugs in popular music as a needless waste of talent. (Found it: GP Jan '91)

Drugs would be more than a bit contrary to his highly disciplined, almost-Zen approach to music, anyway.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #47
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by DrMcCoy
eeew... why would anyone drink such a thing?
Maybe if they didn't like the taste of acohol...

Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #48
elTee
beatnik

Quote:
Originally posted by edlib
Drugs would be more than a bit contrary to his highly disciplined, almost-Zen approach to music, anyway.
Yeah that's kinda what I meant when I said I thought he was just a bit weird - no disrespect of course. I read a review with him once, and I can't remember it exactly, but he gave the impression of having a very unique approach to music that the reviewer really didn't understand. Thanks for the LSD info on him though, as I say, I wasn't sure if he'd done it

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 10-10-2004, 07:14 AM   #49
DrMcCoy

Quote:
Maybe if they didn't like the taste of acohol...
that doesn't make any sense...

Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM   #50
JofaGuht

Stop the music debate please. I hate it when people have to catagorize music into the drug it connotates. My brother always makes fun of me for loving The Residents and talks about "how much drugs they must be on".

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #51
The Bard
Rookie

YO, lucas tones. KING CRIMSON ROCKS!!!(together with JEthro Tull, vandergraff generator, radio head, ledd zeppelin frank zappa who ALL ARE MOTHER ****IN PUSHERS) lol, hehehe
The Bard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2004, 12:48 PM   #52
Das Mole
Das Me

there's this a-hole that goes to my school that uses acid and does coke and stuff. and he was playing frogger, jumping between lanes on a really busy street by my house, and he got hit by a car. but he wasn't injured or something, b/c i saw him in school today, and he was rolling around the floor in my speech class laughing and acting like he was mentally retarded. and he's not even in my speech class. my speech class being how to give speeches, not how to talk.

anyway...yeah. that's why i don't do drugs. i don't feel like ending up like that.
Das Mole is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #53
toenail1

alchohol and marijuana arent that bad (to an extent)

almost all of my friends smoke and drink (i dont) and they are fine

its just when you start doing some hareder stuff (which some of my friends do) is when i gets bad

i can look at my friends and tell who just smokes and drinks and who does harder drugs because the smokers and drinkers look normal, the harder users dont

Cellar door
toenail1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #54
The Bard
Rookie

U gotta a good point there, toenail. At least ganja ain't got nickotine.
The Bard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #55
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by toenail1
alchohol and marijuana arent that bad (to an extent)
Yeah, but it's that extent which is the problem, both have the potentiality for addiction. I drink, but I don't do drugs and I drink in moderation (moderation for a student anyway). What it really comes down to is the monkey, if I only have enough for a pepsi, I'm not gonna go sell my spleen for booze money, I'll have the pepsi, or better yet, go home (although there's very little chance of that happening when I have a 200 overdraft and a 500 limit on my credit card, but considering I just quit my job, I'll have to go easy for a while and start thinking about christmas where at some point, a large sum of money should come my way from my parents)

Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #56
Fender
See Me, Feel Me...

I Like To Drink. But not to get drunk. I drink because I like the taste of Ales and Beers, I don't drink spirits because I don't like the taste.

Being Drunk is just an interesting effect, which if it happens, happens, but I don't go out with the idea of getting wrecked... when I get home from school, it's nice to grab a beer and chill for a while, if I want it.

Don't get me wrong I don't drink everyday, but for example, I had a beer with my meal tonight. I had that because I was thirsty, and I like Beer more than cola or anything like that (Infact, I now only drink Water, Tea and Beer if I can help it).

Anyway, that's alcohol....

I am for the legalization of Cannabis, as it is fun in small quantities every so often, but every other drug (LSD, Ecstacy, Poppers, Crack etc) is a no no for me.

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at You, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

[From the Who's album, TOMMY]
Fender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #57
toenail1

i was just drinking tonight, not to get drunk, just to spice up a LAN party a little bit... just put a some vodka in my mountain dew

if you can control yourself than its alright

Cellar door
Old 11-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #58
JofaGuht

Some people also just don't do background research. I personally think (contrary to Fender) that you can't put LSD in the same catagory as crack because...well it's not that bad for you and it's also not addictive. But people still get too ****ed up on acid sometimes. That's because they do absolutely NO research before jumping into a drug like that, and that's bad. I think psychadelics should be legal, but you should need to have like a psychadelics "liscence" you get after taking a few classes.

And remember what happened when the Europeans brought alcohol to the Native Americans? Actually, this is a fun point: Native Americans did peyote and stuff like that (it was considered to be divine), used for religious purposes and it didn't hurt any of them. Then the Europeans bring them alcohol and it ruins their civilisation. Just think about that for a while.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 AM   #59
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
I'm pretty sure if I go clubbing and get hammereds, I'm not gonna destroy a civilisation (may kill myself, but that's another story). I've never forced anyone to drink and I myself am capable of haveing a good time without alcohol, it's just that I like the taste and it makes me loosen up a bit.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #60
Fender
See Me, Feel Me...

Quote:
Originally posted by JofaGuht
Some people also just don't do background research. I personally think (contrary to Fender) that you can't put LSD in the same catagory as crack because...well it's not that bad for you and it's also not addictive. But people still get too ****ed up on acid sometimes. That's because they do absolutely NO research before jumping into a drug like that, and that's bad. I think psychadelics should be legal, but you should need to have like a psychadelics "liscence" you get after taking a few classes.

And remember what happened when the Europeans brought alcohol to the Native Americans? Actually, this is a fun point: Native Americans did peyote and stuff like that (it was considered to be divine), used for religious purposes and it didn't hurt any of them. Then the Europeans bring them alcohol and it ruins their civilisation. Just think about that for a while.
I don't put Crack and LSD in the same category because I think they are both as harmful... I know that LSD is not very addictive, and while Crack is amazingly addictive, and that Crack is also alot more toxic. I simply put them in the same category as eachother because I think they are both beyond my limits. Mind you, I've still got university to come, so I might have changed my mind by then.

And btw, what is Peyote?

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at You, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

[From the Who's album, TOMMY]
Fender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #61
JofaGuht

Peyote is the cactus that mescaline comes from. The Native Americans used it for spiritual purposes.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #62
toenail1

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if I go clubbing
club what? baby seals?

im in for that

Cellar door
Old 11-28-2004, 06:36 AM   #63
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Wow, it's been a while since I've heard that kind of joke. Congratulations, you're late!

Old 12-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #64
elTee
beatnik

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bard
YO, lucas tones. KING CRIMSON ROCKS!!!(together with JEthro Tull, vandergraff generator, radio head, ledd zeppelin frank zappa who ALL ARE MOTHER ****IN PUSHERS) lol, hehehe
****in' A, Van Der Graaf Generator man! I didn't think anyone else remembered them. I once listened to "A Plague of Lighthousekeepers" while under the influence of stuff and it pretty much changed my outlook on music. Everyone tries to rush it... you've just got to give it it time, and it works out for the best.

And Tull are awesome, the lyrics are so fantastic, it puts modern stuff to shame. King Crimson are easily one of my favourite bands of all time, and Zeppelin too. The Doors are also ****ing awesome, and I'm just getting into the whole Iron Butterfly / Jefferson Airplane / Grateful Dead acid-rock thing.

*sigh*

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #65
toenail1

Quote:
Wow, it's been a while since I've heard that kind of joke. Congratulations, you're late!
no, ive been saying it for... well as long as i can remember but i dont remember how long that is anymore

but on subject: people that are drunk or high are funny... like when my high friend told me he loved school

Cellar door
Old 12-03-2004, 01:14 AM   #66
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by toenail1
no, ive been saying it for... well as long as i can remember but i dont remember how long that is anymore.
In that case you need new material.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:57 PM   #67
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Today in my astronomy class we learned about the gravity rings that come out of Uranus (get it Your... Anus.... ok then, maybe I need some new stuff too...)

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #68
DrMcCoy

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinkie
(get it Your... Anus...
...no, the uranus was renamed to "urrectum" long ago...

Old 12-04-2004, 03:35 AM   #69
elTee
beatnik

And we see some more of the reasons why I advocate drug use.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 12-04-2004, 06:00 AM   #70
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by DrMcCoy
...no, the uranus was renamed to "urrectum" long ago...
If that was a futurama joke, it's just stupid.

It would be "...no, uranus will be renamed to "urrectum" in the near future... "

Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #71
DrMcCoy

Quote:
If that was a futurama joke [...]
...yeah, i was refering to futurama...

Quote:
[...], it's just stupid.

It would be "...no, uranus will be renamed to "urrectum" in the near future... "
...bah, whatever...

Old 12-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #72
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

I believe the exchange went something like...

"I was gonna invent a smelloscope but then remember I did it a couple years ago"

"Really, well... do you mind if I smell Uranus?"

"Actually we renamed it years ago to prevent jokes like that"

"Really what's it called now?"

"Urrectum"

I liked that episode.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #73
DrMcCoy

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinkie
I liked that episode.
...ditto...

Old 12-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #74
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
well,.. do you mind if i smell urrectum?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2004, 10:34 PM   #75
DrMcCoy

Quote:
Originally posted by RayJones
well,.. do you mind if i smell urrectum?
...i would _love_ that...

Old 12-05-2004, 11:50 PM   #76
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

Hey, you two go back to Urugay [sic].

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #77
DrMcCoy

*hugs alien*

Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #78
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
*slaps mccoy*

HUGE SIGS

not HUG sigs.

big gaps= t3h nice surprise. well.. sometimes

alien:

how much for the space?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2004, 02:38 AM   #79
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

A tenner per line. You can have banners of up to 1600x1200 px. They can be animated and I definitely prefer lots of colors. Blinking text: also a plus.

Advertise for your Viagra and fake Rolex' here. I'm a cheap whore that way.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #80
DrMcCoy

>_>
<_<
>_>

>_>
<_<
>_>

*hugs alien and ray*
*licks alien*
*licks ray*
*hugs them some more*

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > Random Fun > Ye Olde Harbour > The Drug Debate