lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Turn off friendly fire....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Turn off friendly fire....

Turn off friendly fire before idiots ruin this game the way "honor" ruined the Jedi Knight games.

From another forum (http://www.firetrill.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2469):

Quote:
Mith: WTF ARE YOU DOING? Stop standing there and DO SOMETHING.
Mith's teammate: I'm waiting for the AT-AT to respawn.

Mith: WTF ARE YOU DOING? WE WERE WINNING!
Mith's stupid teammate: That wasn't how it was in the movies you moron. I'm just trying to roleplay.

Mith: Dude... wtf? Stop following me. Or at least shoot something.
Mith's teammate: I'm trying to leech experience so I can get stronger.
Quote:
I was on imperials in that tatoinne city map and a rocket guy ON MY TEAM was shooting me and when i asked him why he said something like "IMPERIALS ARE EVIL".
Quote:
I was into it the first few days but my JK3 frustrations have leaked
into this game. Once I get killed a few times by my own teammates,
especially on purpose, I lose complete interest quickly.

Amidala from Chop Shop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Iceman_IX

This will all come when admins get their control. There should be an auto-kick if someone TKs ~3 times. (I'd get kicked in every session on Cloud City fool Imps need to get out of my sniping lanes.

But removing Friendly Fire is not the proper fix. Friendly fire adds to the game. But admins will soon get server controls so they can stop TKing. That'll limit the already low frequency of occurrences such as this. I've been playing all week and this has only really happened about twice. More than it should happen but it's not that often.

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Just put in a voting system: problem solved.

Minister of Outer Rim Garrison, a Dutch multigame clan
Website - Forums - Email
Mountainforest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
its just one guy experiencing this, never had any problems

except that people run in my way each time try to quick-snipe

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountainforest
Just put in a voting system: problem solved.
Then people will just start kick-votes because someone is dominating the game, or something like "laming" or "camping."

Just turn off friendly fire, problem solved. There's too many kiddies out there who don't know a Stormtrooper from a Wookiee and shoot everything in sight. And voting isn't always used for good (after playing Jedi Outcast and Academy I know).
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Iceman_IX

Quote:
Originally posted by Alegis
except that people run in my way each time try to quick-snipe
Haha, glad to know I'm not the only good player out there gunning his teammates down in droves because they don't know how to walk down a long hall

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Mountainforest
<insert high rank here>

Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252
Then people will just start kick-votes because someone is dominating the game, or something like "laming" or "camping."

Just turn off friendly fire, problem solved. There's too many kiddies out there who don't know a Stormtrooper from a Wookiee and shoot everything in sight. And voting isn't always used for good (after playing Jedi Outcast and Academy I know).
But Jedi Academy also gives a good example that puting of friendly fire doesn't stop lamers either. People like to take protocol droid parts or scepters to the start of the level in siege for example, or are constantly pushing the elevator buttons so nobody can get up. In this kind of situations, putting friendly fore of only makes thinges worse.

Minister of Outer Rim Garrison, a Dutch multigame clan
Website - Forums - Email
Mountainforest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Jaden Malip

Quote:
People like to take protocol droid parts or scepters to the start of the level in siege for example
That was annoying. Whenever someone did that, I switched teams, hunted them down, killed them and switched back.
Jaden Malip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
Firemann816

I'm seriously watching the server admin stuff so I can build one for my use.
I think the tools will be a while in coming since what they offered first up was so abysmal.

Friendly fire should be in the game since it would happen in a real battle.
I say vote & TK auto-kick at a threshold are the answers.

My two cents - but TK-ers ruin any good time in any game.

The difference between genius & stupidity?
Genius has its limits.
Firemann816 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Those posts I quoted were from three different people.

IF and WHEN admin commands to ban-kick team-killers come out, then fine, put friendly fire back on. Until then, leave it off.

Coming soon: people team-killing so THEY can board the last snowspeeder or other vehicle available, because they don't want to wait for the next respawn. If it isn't already happening.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #11
Vezner

TKers make MP games suck so much sometimes. BF1942 is only fun to play if you join a server that has an ADMIN lurking around most of the time to ban TKers.

Battlefront is the same way. At least on Battlefront you can play a pretty good SP game. I still say the AI in Battlefront is pretty good. I play SP almost 90% of the time and I still love this game as much as the first day I bought it.

-- I support George W. Bush and the USA.
-- I support the troops that are fighting and dying for our Freedom!
-- Free speech refers to political and religious rights...
NOT THE RIGHT TO BE PROFANE IN PUBLIC!
-- Christians have rights of expression too.
-- Star Wars Fan since 1979.

http://dwp.bigplanet.com/vezner1

Do you think EA is crap because they buy your favorite developer and then destroy it (ie Westwood and Origin)? Then click on this link and show your support for those who are against EA:http://gamersagainsteagames.com/
Vezner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #12
Tor McJara
Lurker

The only time I ever Tk'ed was when I was learning how to do an air strike. I sent out my probe and attacked right in front of me by mistake. I did not know what I was doing and made 3 TK's at once. I was so embarrassed that I had to leave the game and join another server. I would like to apologies for being such a noob and that most Tks are noob related.
Tor McJara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #13
WildmanHT
Rookie

Howdy

I totally agree that Friendly Fire should be turned off for now until there is admin control. Ive been killed to many times now from idiots who think it is funny to shoot or crash their ships into their teammates.

For now, I am just playing in our server or those servers that have friendly fire and Heroes turned off. Those Jedi's are the worst spawn campers ever

"In outlaw country, a man has only one chance to mind his business"

{HT} Website www.Horsethieves.net
WildmanHT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #14
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

Well good for me that I'm playing SWBF on the Xbox. Single Player is alot of fun in my opinion. I might go Live after my arm has healed - I broke it and can barely play.
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #15
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

I was attacked by a "team mate" on Hoth last night. The Rebel hangar was controlled by the Rebels, and I boarded a snow speeder. As I was making strafing runs on Imperials, I heard the distinctive sound of a snow speeder hitting me from 6 o'clock. I took evasive action as he continued to shoot at me. He eventually collided with me and went down. As I said, the hangar was still under Rebel control, so it was unlikely that an Imperial got in there to board a snow speeder.

Until admin tools come out it is probably best to turn off friendly fire. After noobs realize they can't attack their own team, they will either settle down and play normally, or leave out of boredom.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #16
JediCrow
Rookie

I say turn off friendly fire as well. It may be "realistic" but Star Wars is an idealized universe and the game should reflect that.
JediCrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #17
[RNGD]Tyrant
Rookie

I have turned our 40 player clanserver to FFoff until a real server manager comes out. I hate to do it, but its better than Tkers running around going unpunished.

Server: RNGD.net_NoBots_30fps_FFoff
[RNGD]Tyrant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #18
treemonster
Rookie

i've been in so many firefights where it's jsu tamss orgy of guys and suddenly my teammates jump on top of my nade i jsut threw or strafe in front of my blaster shots or whatever. not a big fan o fff in this game, the gun physics are jsut precise enough to warrant anti-tk measures, as it's very easy to rack up quite a few tk's tryign to kill the enemy.
treemonster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 04:40 PM   #19
Cosmos Jack

Quote:
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
Turn off friendly fire before idiots ruin this game the way "honor" ruined the Jedi Knight games.
Ahh yes SWBF JK style.

Your servers are the few I can play on without getting gang banged voted out by random, congregating, RPGers.

Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252

Very true..

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountainforest
But Jedi Academy also gives a good example that puting of friendly fire doesn't stop lamers either. People like to take protocol droid parts or scepters to the start of the level in siege for example, or are constantly pushing the elevator buttons so nobody can get up. In this kind of situations, putting friendly fore of only makes thinges worse.
I get really p!ssed when that happens. I just have to quit when I fined out the not only is the admin there they are the one laming.

-QUOTE------
Every cock fights best on his own dunghill.
Cosmos Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #20
THE BADGER:

Just vote them off. I mean the voting system is not the best in the world on BF, but it does work.
THE BADGER: is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #21
melted_one
Rookie

So you can turn off FF online? (PS2)

VIVA LA REVIEW!!
melted_one is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #22
RDX1
Rookie

Personally, I am keeping FF on once Linux Dedicated is released. Hopefully by then there will be control over the server.

FF makes the game more 'real' and I'll have people in place. Hopefully auto kick will be in place.

TK does happen, I was playing Endor with a friend today and got killed 3-4 times by him, it happens. I know he would never do that, but it happens.

The Battle Lounge: 67.15.49.198:29070
(24 Slot Non-Clan Jedi Academy FFA Server)
RDX1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #23
Marvel
Rookie

Well if you've played BF1942 after 1.6 patch and BFV you'll see that voting is the worse you can do to game. Nothing worse than having the opponent in sight and the damn voting screen comes up. And not just to kick, the map changing requests were done to death.

Hopefully blackbagopts gets involved with SWBF. His was the best for linux!

Marvel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Turn off friendly fire....