lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: water reflection (using jpg screenshot)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-11-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
sith-j
Lurker

water reflection (using jpg screenshot)

hey, I have been playing around with trying to get a better water effect using a jpg screenshot of the map as the reflection on the water surface.

so far I have managed to get the right amount of movement on the water surface using sin, and I have a nice ripple effect using a couple of scrolling ripple textures with an alpha channel, now all I need to have the jpg screenshot act like a reflection.

how i see it is that the reflection should work in the same was as a sky shader so that the reflection always stays the same distance away from the player just like a normal reflection would, and like the sky textures do...

any ideas, posts relevent to this issue, I cannot use the search function here for some reason, I hope this makes sence.

a map is never complete, just released...
sith-j is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

If you check out rgoer's Sunset on Coruscant map, he made some reflective water in the same way that you make "shiny" mettallic surfaces--by mapping the "reflection" texture stage with tcGen environment. I think if you want the reflection to appear flat, and not distorted by the environment-mapping, you have to run it through a sphere filter in PhotoShop or something. Somebody else can expand on that since I don't have the experience with it...

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Mapping > water reflection (using jpg screenshot)