lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Anyone else losing patience?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Iceman_IX

Anyone else losing patience?

Curious if anyone has the same disposition as me... it's tough to find a server. Tough to stay on a server. Gameplay is fun but has its frustrating moments (aimed right at a newb standing still with my Vangaurd launcher, shoot, two rockets go around him!). Singleplayer isn't challenging and not near as fun as multiplayer.

Servers aren't staying up because admins can't kick/moderate/join their own servers. ASE and XFire make it easier to find a server but there are so few servers to choose from because they nerfed the server browser. Framerate cap, other inconveniences just detract from the whole experience. I understand the requirement for a long wait for a major patch, but I'm having trouble playing this game in the interim. I spend as much time looking for a server as I do playing in a round.

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
rut-wa jodar

no !

I`ve bent my
rut-wa jodar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
DemonKing

I would be frustrated if I had the game...but the damn idiots I ordered from sent me the SW OT on DVD instead, and now they're out of stock of BF for PC, so I'm still waiting! LOL!

DemonKing

"At this stage I believe I now understand the truth, which is that Lucas has gone over to the dark side. He is a Darth Billionaire ruling an empire, and is no longer leading a rebellion. He was once a semi-independent force, overshadowed by a dark and powerful business, but still managed to beat the odds and on his own terms, but now he sits on a throne with lightning in his hands and a franchise in his clenched fist."

Last edited by DemonKing; 10-15-2004 at 02:03 AM.
DemonKing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #4
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Agreed. (LoL)

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
I dont have much problems with it. A friend of my has a server which has ace ping and servers fill up very quickly in swbf. I'll convince him to increase cap to 40 as well.

Yeah best thing is to have a few favs or sort em by ping in ASE and join the one with most players then from the top. I always stay in the game and mostly dont have much problems with noobs. I only faced one TKer so far

What i hate most is to have noobs on my team, I can't stand that. When they shoot other mates, or take a tie and crash a sec later etc. Granted, one may need experience before you play; but one has SP. You never go in an AT-AT in MP if you dont know what to do with it! For me, thats as bad as TKing. (once some guy was "walking back" with the at at so he thought he could shoot a speeder easily. Sometimes i see AT-ATs all turned around etc, or just towed at the start of the game)

I want a good voting system.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 07:21 AM   #6
italegion
Rookie

i want stable servers!
after 3 or 4 maps every server crash down and i spend half hour to find another good one with green ping and no AI bots.. have to check every single one server, thanks to the past patch..

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org
italegion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
Stingray
Rookie

I'm doing rather okey considering the waiting for anotehr patch. After already have released 2 (minor) patches LA has earned my trust that they are busy with other patches. If we want a big patch fixing a lot of things, granted it'll take longer than the other 2 patches. If they must take longer for a better patch, so be it. As long as they make the waiting worth while.

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
subs0nic
Rookie

To be honest, I spend more time editing than playing the game, and with the mess my files are usually in I can't join a server anyway.

I agree though, if the next patch has a lot of fixes, the wait will be worth it.
subs0nic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
Capt. Kain
Rookie

It does bother me when it takes 10 minutes to find a good server. Then join game with the losing side having like 20 points left. Then game ends, screen freezes on most servers and I have to restart a search for a new server.
BUT..when I do get ingame I forget about the server search and have unbelievable fun killing.

On note about the noobs and their kills:
Initially games were ending soo fast it was unreal. Now with players having a few weeks experience. Getting to know the levels and what each troop can do. I can now say games do last longer and are more challenging. The TK Noobs have to elarn somehow. But to the ones that just have fun killing their own team mates...GROW UP!

XFire: CaptKain
Jedi of the Stars on Intrepid.
Killer Clone Trooper in Battlefront.
Star Wars fan since '80
Hater of George Lucas since B'rated Trilogy DVD release!!
"Who cares what the fans think, its my story"...George Lucas Aug'04
Capt. Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Whoopknacker

I thought that I would be playing this game and never looking back but now I am looking around. I play mainly for MP experience. I cant get a very good MP experiece. The communication is not there, they need to take out radar, its worthless. I am back to BF42, BFV mainly. I am sure a patch will come out soon to make this game an ultimate online experience, hopefully before HL2 comes out.

Thank you sir may I have another
Whoopknacker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Vezner

Nope. I am still totally addicted to this game and imagine I will continue to be addicted to it until at least Halo 2 comes out. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble though.

-- I support George W. Bush and the USA.
-- I support the troops that are fighting and dying for our Freedom!
-- Free speech refers to political and religious rights...
NOT THE RIGHT TO BE PROFANE IN PUBLIC!
-- Christians have rights of expression too.
-- Star Wars Fan since 1979.

http://dwp.bigplanet.com/vezner1

Do you think EA is crap because they buy your favorite developer and then destroy it (ie Westwood and Origin)? Then click on this link and show your support for those who are against EA:http://gamersagainsteagames.com/
Vezner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #12
Jet Black
Rookie

No dissappointment here... I'm enjoying every minute in this game. I moved the "ticks" up to 30 and really don't notice any real lag while online - seems smooth enough.

I've been using ASE to find servers, and while I agree that there aren't as many as I'd like to see, I've never had trouble getting onto one. Lots are full, but ASE lets me join when a spot opens.

I'd like to see some nVidia servers up there. I mean, their logo is right in the startup, you'd think they'd put up four or five high-end dedicated servers 24/7 like they did for Battlefield. I also don't think I've seen any "Lucasarts" servers, though that might just be because I sort my servers by number of players in ASE and they may be empty
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #13
italegion
Rookie

the main problem is not to find the server (that annoying phase)but the fact of crash after 3 or 4 maps!

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org
italegion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Re: Anyone else losing patience?

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceman_IX
Curious if anyone has the same disposition as me... it's tough to find a server. Tough to stay on a server. Gameplay is fun but has its frustrating moments (aimed right at a newb standing still with my Vangaurd launcher, shoot, two rockets go around him!). Singleplayer isn't challenging and not near as fun as multiplayer.

Servers aren't staying up because admins can't kick/moderate/join their own servers. ASE and XFire make it easier to find a server but there are so few servers to choose from because they nerfed the server browser. Framerate cap, other inconveniences just detract from the whole experience. I understand the requirement for a long wait for a major patch, but I'm having trouble playing this game in the interim. I spend as much time looking for a server as I do playing in a round.
Of course we are, but hey, I'm from the Jedi Academy community. We had to wait a month to get a working in-game browser and some fixes for exploits. And before that in Jedi Outcast we had to wait 3 months for a patch, then everyone complained because it changed gameplay, so we had to wait another month before that was "fixed."

So yeah many of us are impatient, but we've had worse....

As to the servers thing, well it's a double-edged sword.

On the one hand most people can't afford good servers, so they need to use commecially hosted servers (through companies that do that for cash), but a game doesn't attract good hosting companies to offer it if its buggy and unpopular online. So until the game is stable enough for people to consider investing in it, there won't be many good places to host it, and therefore there won't be many good servers.

So patches need to come... give it a month, if they're smart they'll fix those issues as soon as possible and the rest will follow.

[Edit: Dang typo's!]

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 10-14-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #15
richcz3

I've just stopped trying to play MP since last Saturday. The current patches are inadequate. I am just going to wait for the big patch before I try again. I am betting Tomorrow Friday Oct 15 they will provide either an anouncement and/or another patch. Hopefully a significant patch this time around.

In the meantime I have other game titles keeping me busy until then.

richcz3
richcz3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #16
Willybone
Rookie

Interesting. On PS2, I never have a problem finding a server with lots of people and a decent ping.
But, the almost inevitable crash still comes after 4 or 5 rounds.
It's still the best PS2 MP game out there.
Willybone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #17
Jet Black
Rookie

Re: Re: Anyone else losing patience?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Of course we are, but hey, I'm from the Jedi Academy community. We had to wait a month to get a working in-game browser and some fixes for exploits. And before that in Jedi Outcast we had to wait 3 months for a patch, then everyone complained because it changed gameplay, so we had to wait another month before that was "fixed."

So yeah many of us are impatient, but we've had worse....

You can say that again... I won't go into details, but I'd say this launch is about average for multiplayer FPS games. Not the best, but definitely not the worst.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #18
LoQ
Rookie

I play very little now. I'm just waiting patiently for the patch. In the mean time I don't dare uninstall the game. It took me three tries to get the game to install to begin with (a not so uncommon problem from what I have read here on the forums)! I'm afriad if I uninstall the game in order to free up some space, I might never be able to get the damn thing installed again!
LoQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #19
pulleke
Lurker

Reading about all the problems here with multi-playering and the problems I am having myself with a very simple setup I wonder if they even did and MP testing at all!!

Not something you expect in this day and age.
pulleke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 08:07 AM   #20
[ILB]Pebbles
Rookie

The only issue experienced on my server by players is that its hard to get into the vehicles and bots flashin in and out. tps is set to 30.

After the patch things improved for me on the client side. And my server has been continuously up since the patch with out any crashes.

Also i able to get connected through all third party browsers ( Not ASE dont have it) and i dont loose connection any more and neither have any of my ususally players.

Please feel free to try it out, and let me know if you have any problems.

pebbles@bedrock-jk.net
WWW.BEDROCK-JK.NET
WWW.BEDROCK-JK.NET/UTSTATS

Admin/Player :
Bedrock-JK ( Jedi Outcast Server)
Bedrock-UT (UT2004 DM/ONS Servers)
Bedrock-BF (SW Battlefront Server)
Bedrock-TS (TeamSpeak Server)
[ILB]Pebbles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #21
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by [ILB]Pebbles
The only issue experienced on my server by players is that its hard to get into the vehicles and bots flashin in and out. tps is set to 30.

After the patch things improved for me on the client side. And my server has been continuously up since the patch with out any crashes.

Also i able to get connected through all third party browsers ( Not ASE dont have it) and i dont loose connection any more and neither have any of my ususally players.

Please feel free to try it out, and let me know if you have any problems.

I finally had a chance to play for a long period of time last night, and didn't lose connection at all over a 1 hour plus period.

Really the only network concern I have is the laggy turrets... It's really tough to aim while turreting in a moving vehicle. Otherwise everything is very smooth for me.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #22
chrishaolin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by LoQ
I play very little now. I'm just waiting patiently for the patch. In the mean time I don't dare uninstall the game. It took me three tries to get the game to install to begin with (a not so uncommon problem from what I have read here on the forums)! I'm afriad if I uninstall the game in order to free up some space, I might never be able to get the damn thing installed again!
lol. i hear you on the uninstall thing.. it will never be uninstalled on my machine either

feeling froggish? leap..
chrishaolin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 08:55 AM   #23
chrishaolin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoopknacker
The communication is not there, they need to take out radar, its worthless.
I agree completely about the communication but i dont have a problem with the radar at all... if i see a teammate is engaging an enemy, i love to come around to flank...

feeling froggish? leap..
Old 10-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #24
bodstevens

bump

yep

hasso is red stance
bodstevens is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #25
beard
Rookie

What i lose patience with:

1. Since the patch i still have problems with servers im on crashing. I played for an hour last night and had a server fall out 3 times. I remember one was 'strikeservers.com', i think the other was a 'GZA' clan and maybe 'superhero'.

2. There is no way to humbly say this, but its the truth... the caliber of players. Its not fun to win all the time.
I thought about this, and i think MAYBE the deal is somewhat with the 3 system game. My suspicion is that PC people have much greater control & accuracy than someone using a console gamecontroller does. It just seems like there is a big gap, like 80% of the people always seem to score really low but all about equally low, and the other 20% will score high but all in the same ballpark.

-Beard-
beard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #26
Iceman_IX

I like the radar, it's great for seeing someone in brush or seeing where all the conflict is.

What's your server's name, Pebbles? I'm always looking for good servers with people on them. Superhero, strikeservers and DMB tend to be my favorite, though they rarely have people on them.

I totally agree with beard's comment about the caliber of players. People on this game aren't really good but that adds to the fun of it all. It's gameplay for everybody. Unlike other FPS, the more bodies the better. Even newbs contribute to the cause, as long as they keep moving and stay out of my crosshairs (hard on Bespin )

If they can fix the server browser and server connectivity in the next patch, this game will be improved 100%

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #27
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceman_IX

...I totally agree with beard's comment about the caliber of players. People on this game aren't really good but that adds to the fun of it all. It's gameplay for everybody. Unlike other FPS, the more bodies the better. Even newbs contribute to the cause, as long as they keep moving and stay out of my crosshairs (hard on Bespin )
I'm definitely not the best at this game, but even when I'm doing horribly the one thing that I like about SW:BF is when I die, I know why I died... Sometimes in 1942 and especially in BF:Vietnam, you'd die and really have no idea wtf happened - that can be extremely frustrating.

In SW:BF, I've enjoyed every minute, even games where I end up being cannon fodder, because I know who shot me, how, and can say "Wow, nice shooting" and not "WTF was that?"
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #28
Drazek
Rookie

one thing I want... a filter ! especially to leave out empty or full games on the list then maybe search a particular map or OT/NT selection.
Drazek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #29
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Drazek
one thing I want... a filter ! especially to leave out empty or full games on the list then maybe search a particular map or OT/NT selection.
You can do that now with All Seeing Eye. Although I'm not sure if it can detect bots or not yet, it can definitly filter out Empty and Full servers.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #30
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Supposedly there is going to be an announcement early next week of what the status of the next patch will be.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 06:56 AM   #31
[the]$heriFF
Lurker

They should make an filter possibility within the browser, that will help an lot.
[the]$heriFF is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 AM   #32
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Waiting after DICE to release decent patches has really made me patient. Seriously.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #33
chrishaolin
Rookie

well, i wasn't losing patience

until this weekend, when i was kicked back to the desktop at least 10-15 times..

i love when im about to kill someone and the app just freezes adn next thing i know i get the battlefront.exe error message..

grrrrrrr

feeling froggish? leap..
Old 10-18-2004, 08:19 AM   #34
richcz3

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Waiting after DICE to release decent patches has really made me patient. Seriously.
That's about the way I am looking at it. I don't have BF:Vietnam but I know they've been taking quite some time between patches. BF:1942 was the same way or worse.

I played SP for the first time since last week. I still hold to the fact that this is a very impressive title that I consider a work in progress. That's why I keep it on my hard drive. They have already announced they are working hard on a patch and tools release.
I am going to remain patient and look forward to the tools.

richcz3
richcz3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 09:46 AM   #35
knunchucksammy
Rookie

My sugestion to make it bearable untill they release that patch which is freaking NEEDED! Is get some friends and/or join a clan.

Why? Because then you can meet up in a chat server and join an empty and trusted server and it will fill up. Find some favorite servers that ping well for you and are reliable and then jot down there names on a piece of paper or something. Then evenn if they are empty have your clanmates join them and other people will to. They just didn't want to play alone....

Back
knunchucksammy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 AM   #36
chrishaolin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by knunchucksammy
Find some favorite servers that ping well for you and are reliable and then jot down there names on a piece of paper or something. Then evenn if they are empty have your clanmates join them and other people will to. They just didn't want to play alone....

Back

x-fire will add any servers that you join to your server list, which is a great feature so you dont have to write anything down..

feeling froggish? leap..
Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #37
Blimbo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Kain
It does bother me when it takes 10 minutes to find a good server. Then join game with the losing side having like 20 points left. Then game ends, screen freezes on most servers and I have to restart a search for a new server.
BUT..when I do get ingame I forget about the server search and have unbelievable fun killing.

This is my only issue with the game. Other than that I absolutely love this game. For me there is nothing so broken that I can not wait until a patch.

I just upgraded to a 5900 Ultra, and the graphics are smooth with 50 people on Naboo or Endor. Sure I could use more FPS, but as I said nothing is so far gone that I'm not slack jawed with enjoyment.
Blimbo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #38
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
This is precisely why I am waiting for after Christmas.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Anyone else losing patience?