lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: News from the DEV TEAM!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #81
italegion
Rookie

before what?
i always played in international servers ..

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org
italegion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 AM   #82
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Question

In the out of box version? I dunno. I don't work on the devteam... I'm just guessing.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 02:32 AM   #83
Stingray
Rookie

It is indeed a weird fix. The clan in which I am has members from the USA and they can connect just fine to our UK-based server. it just appears in there ingame server browser.

perhaps it only applies to non-dedicated servers. Dedicated servers from other regions were available already.

edit: nah, the last isn't true either. I was able to see a non-dedicated server from a clanm8 from the USA in the ingame server browser, while I live in the Netherlands.

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 05:21 AM   #84
Rends

...Players can join games from other regions, North America, Europe, Asia, etc.

Well even if they talk about the next PC version patch could it be that this is related to PS2 or xbox version?

Rends
Rends is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #85
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Black
Depending on the way the game and network code is designed, people with a higher framerate could be at an advantage without the cap (they would receive more packets and therefore see a more realistic representation of the world around them).
This was a big issue in both JO and JA (at least IIRC it was both). Players with a higher ping would often have the advantage because the saber collision detection was tied to the framerate. Those who had poor pings and framerates would often "miss" because when the saber's location was calculated, it had already passed through their opponant's collision box.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Black
So, depending on how the game was designed, they may or may not be able to 'remove' the online FPS cap (if my understanding is correct, which it may not be).
They might not be able to remove it if much of the game logic is based to some extent on the framerate. So it may be too late to make the change for this game.

It just seems to be a poor choice for a way to put players in an "equal footing." It screws over people on a LAN or who have a good framerate. I'm guessing that there are many servers were all the players' connections could easily support 60 fps. Yet they are stuck in the 20-30 range.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #86
Kurgan
Headhunter

Played some serious MP last night for the very first time really.

There are basically only 3 servers (in the in-game browser) listed with decent ping to me, but they fluctuate rapidly. I get anywhere from 150 ms - 320 ms and I'm on DSL.

The low framerate + the lag makes it very hard to hit people and lots of deaths from projectils that appear to miss or are still far off. The best way to get kills is still with splash damage or vehicles.

Sadly the top server always has a password protection. These are servers with three yellow bars. The rest have 1 red.

I will admit ASE provides better results, so I think it's the browser that's goofy.

The other problem is without a stable Linux thing and hosting services, there are very few servers available, period and they aren't that fast.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-27-2004, 12:13 AM   #87
Iceman_IX

Yeah, the server selection is abysmal... part of the reason why I don't play. It's cyclical. Hard to get playing cause of so few populated servers, so few servers because so few people play.

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 AM   #88
micks75au
Rookie

Yes a catch 22....

Hardly encourages you to play if all you get is badly playing servers.We are at a level now in PC games where this should just not be happening. There are many MP online games that have huge areas and a lot of players, that have no where this many issues. I guess time will tell if these guys bit off more than they can chew.

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.
This one....a long time have I watched. Never his mind on where he was. Hmmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things.

You are reckless!
micks75au is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #89
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

What is funny is that even if I find a low-ping server, it still lags. The FPS is still crappy (for some reason they capped it) and people still move pretty lag.

Don't you guys think the bots shouldn't be in Multiplayer? Perhaps they are the cause of something. They're always everywhere so much that it is annoying, I only want to play with Humans.

Last edited by Master William; 10-27-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #90
Jet Black
Rookie

Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of the time I'm successful finding a good server (played the last two nights) and don't have huge issues with lag or the FPS cap.

There's some balance issues that are annoying (I think the Jet Trooper's one-shot-kill weapon is too powerful vs the CIS) but overall I had a blast.

It's just too bad that I'm in the minority and people will slip away without some fixes soon.
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #91
Yahoo.s2f
Rookie

I am one of those who is getting more and more bored out with this crap ... put more effort into finding a server to stay on then playing ... This server/serverbrowser issue is starting to grow more and more irritating and if no patch SOON i will trash this game. too bad tho cuz i do like it when i do get to play....

maby i should have stayed with the "liberated" version of the game.... *sigh*

Yahoo.s2f is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #92
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally posted by Master William
What is funny is that even if I find a low-ping server, it still lags. The FPS is still crappy (for some reason they capped it) and people still move pretty lag.

Don't you guys think the bots shouldn't be in Multiplayer? Perhaps they are the cause of something. They're always everywhere so much that it is annoying, I only want to play with Humans.
I like bots in games, and I've listed the reasons why so many times I don't need to do so again.

However, the AI in this game is so poorly programmed I don't blame people for not wanting to use it.

But it's up to each admin.

It's always silly to be playing when I'm alone vs. a team of like 4 people, without even one bot to help me.

But this game is about big battles, and the online community is so small, you need every bit of help you can get!

Old 10-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #93
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Hmmm, about the bot AI, I always play with it on hard level, and find it pretty challenging. Of course, that could be because I suck But in any event, the bots usually give me a run for my money, often beating me, and me just as often beating them. Oh well, maybe I just need to play more.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #94
mima kake
Just the two of us

Well the bot's are quite easy I reccon.
Nothing beats a human player.
But SP it's good practice to figure things out.
Still having fun though with this game.

mima kake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 01:30 AM   #95
Kurgan
Headhunter

Red face uh oh.. here comes a rant!

I confess, I've been playing them since day 1 on "Medium" rather than Hard. I'll have to try Hard (which is also being improved for the next patch they say), but so far, Medium is pathetic.

On Mos Eisely for example, about 3/4 of the people on the map (both on your team and the enemy) will just STAND THERE in front of walls, often facing the walls, and you can walk up to them and shoot them to death, often without them turning to face you or firing a shot in their own defense.

On Endor the bots will often crouch behind debris and trees (which is good) but will shoot INTO THE WALL trying to hit someone behind it.

Also whenever there are Speeder bikes, Bots will rush to them, hop on and crash directly into a solid object, or another speeder bike and die. This is especially frustrating when you needed the vehicle and aren't quite close enough for your "order" to register.

About the Orders, it usually takes me 3 or 4 taps of the order button to get a bot to do what I say. If we are low on tickets for example, I can mount a vehicle and tell people to get in, but they will get in, then immediately pile out.

If I am in a Droid Tank, I'll hop out and tell the guy inside to "stay put" so I can capture a control point. But he'll move around slightly and run me over!

Finally, if I'm standing perfectly still firing off into the distance (at a far off enemy), bots will run directly in front of me (to stand in front of me like they are the Secret Service and I'm the President) and get shot by me. Likewise if I happen to run in front of some bots, they won't hold fire, but continue firing, even if I'm directly in front of them and I get hit.

Bots never seem to check at their feet to see if there's a grenade there. They just stand there and continue firing. I often give them a "disperse" order, just in case, but it rarely helps. Grenade at bot's feet = death for them, since they don't dodge.

I'm guessing that perhaps these bots just weren't built for Friendly Fire On (which is the setting most servers use).

Overall: Not good!

And the Jedi are poorly executed. The fact that they are immortal is their only real benefit, since they ignore orders, don't capture anything, and generally just wander around. I've been in many situations where I'm close to a Jedi and getting attacked by a group of bots, but the Jedi will just ignore me and them and run off in some other direction, letting me get killed. I thought they were supposed to help? ; p

About the only real challenge the bots have is that they seem to be able to "see through" stuff that we humans can't (such as trees, bushes, etc). I'd be curious to see if that is really how the AI is handled. Because on maps where you can't see anybody, you have to rely on your radar and if your crosshair turns red when you're moving it around. Whereas the bots just nail you from far off.

They win by sheer numbers or the fact that they can see you when you can't see them. Standard bot tactics appear to be to stand perfectly still (sometimes ducking) and firing continuously in your general direction. Very little strafing or dodging when it could actually help them, like humans do.

I figure giving the bots perfect aim is the only solution they were able to implement for the difficulty. In Single Player the solution was to just throw more and more of them at you. Due to the "hot-spots" your team has no sense of strategy, just rush like lemmings into a choke point and then get mowed down by grenades and each other.

Another thing is that if I steal and enemy vehicle, and order bots to get in they are often reluctant to do so. I need to tap the "get in" button maybe 5 or 6 times to get them to do it. I am not surprised that in this particular case it's harder, but that's something they should fix too.

Having more options for bot orders would be nice too, and the ability to give orders over longer distances or form squads, etc. Perhaps a special order to target a specific bot and have him do what you say, and another for any bots in the general vacinity? The UT games had some great voice orders for bots. Quake3 gave you a lot of options too, though it was text/command line based.

Needless to say, the AI needs some serious improvements. I hear tell that veteran Battlefield players are saying these AI are a step up. But I guess I'm spoiled by the good AI of FPS games like the UT series.

I admit, out of box, JA's bots were pretty sad, and the bots in this game have their share of problems (but it depends on the map, on some maps they are worse than others).

So far, sadly, while SP SHOULD be a good place to figure things out, it really isn't.

Instant Action is pretty much the game itself, but the framerate differences will throw you totally off from real MP, plus the shoddy AI on both sides. You learn how to move and use vehicles, but the bots could really stand to be a lot better.

It's not excuse to say "well, everyone will just play without bots so they'll never notice."

Given the poor showing of the online community thus far (for understandable reasons), many people don't have the luxury of just playing large human-filled MP games instead. I love playing humans online, that's the point of multiplayer, but bots can really help the experience and aide in training. But these bots just aren't very good in that role, period. ; p

Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 AM   #96
Rends

Are the DEVs gone?

No more new official patch posts at the LA board since 20. Okt.

No more new posts from Devs (Psych0fred) here at this board about the Linix server and the tools for the Mod comunity.

Well i fully understand that working at the stuff needs time but one thing you need to do is to stay in contact with us!

Rends
Old 10-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #97
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I have not played this myself, but it sounds like a truly awful game. And the very low number of online players out of the gate doesn't bode well for the MP game lasting very long.

It is most unfortunate.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #98
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm gonna have to disagree Prime.

You said yourself, you have not played. You need to wait to play before passing judgement.

I, and a few others at echonet find the gam quite enjoyable.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #99
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

I concur - this game really is fun. There are some frustrating things about the user interface that are very goofy, but the game itself is quite fun.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #100
Wacky_Baccy

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
That's very good news about the admin updates

Prime:

While in fairness the game does currently have a lot of shortcomings (AI for one - though I do find it moderately challenging on Difficult), as Phreak and Vag have said it *is* remarkably fun to play if you can find some real people The game works as a concept, but is perhaps lacking somewhat in implementation...

I honestly have no problem with the 30FPS cap, but that could just be me. I'm not saying I don't notice it - just that it doesn't put me off. Guess I'm weird

I really like the dynamic of this game, because a lot can change in a very short amount of time, and the way our little group plays it is very strategic at times - it keeps you on your toes, which keeps it fun to play

I've always preferred playing MP with friends over joining a random public server, because I just find it a lot more fun, so I'm much less bothered by the general lack of take-up in the MP community than I might otherwise be - though I still think it's a shame :\

Phreak, myself, and about half a dozen others have been playing impromptu games regularly via Direct Connection to one of the group for the past few weeks, so we've not really fussed too much about the various problems with the game - it's just been too much fun to play to complain about

I just wish Pandemic would (be allowed by LEC to) release a Linux dedi-server, because then I could put one up 24/7 on my server and be able to host more than six players at a time, like I'm limited to now by hosting dedicated games from home on WinXP

I miss digl. ...I found digl!
Wacky_Baccy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 12:15 PM   #101
Armydude71490
Rookie

Re: uh oh.. here comes a rant!

Directed to Kurgan

I aggre the bots in this are a ton better then in the battlefield games (ever see a fighter ram into the wing of a b17, or run up to a bot on the enemy team shoot him and all he does is turn away from you to shoot some one far away PATHETIC!!!) but the bots in this game are kind of stupid at times for the most part in vehicles but on the ground too (I saw a stormtrooper bot roll of of the edge in the platforms level to get away from a grenade!)

"but bots can really help the experience" totally agree (for me human players enhance the fps feel but destroy the starwars feel)

I play online when my friends are on but don't really play huge human filled battles because that just screws over the Starwars experiance!

"(AI for one - though I do find it moderately challenging on hard)" glad come one else thinks so!

"I've been playing them since day 1 on "Medium" rather than Hard. I'll have to try Hard (which is also being improved for the next patch they say), but so far, Medium is pathetic" go to hard it is much better!

Edit: AHHH I diden't mean to copy all of it!

Ok just look at Kurgan last post (I accidently quoted all of it)
Armydude71490 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 01:17 PM   #102
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Bah, I've been there when BF1942 first came out. I know I can be patient and wait for patches. It was not until 1.5 that BF1942 had actually solved most of the unbalances and problems...and even at 1.6 there are some left.

The AI on hard is pretty good. Then again, I'm a BF vet...seen horrors...you get the idea.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #103
Armydude71490
Rookie

lukeiamyourdad

First off BFV AI sucked It was proven by AI enhancing mod makers that The AI in BFV was Worse then the AI in BF1942
which had really crappy AI don't believe me visit http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bat...dsingleplayer/! browse the Ai editing forum!
Armydude71490 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #104
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
That's what I said...

Old 10-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #105
Master William

How can ya even complain about BF1942? I've had so much fun with it, and to be honest I never had any issues with it. Maybe you're just picky, or I just failed to see issues?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #106
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
You played SP or COOP right? The AI is infinitely dumber. Sometimes they would just stand there doing absolutely nothing. Even when you shoot them at point blank they don't budge. Sometime they point at the sky.
SWBF's bots repairs vehicles, gives health and ammo. In BF1942, Medics never healed anyone and engineers never repaired anything.

Oh and there are many issues. Jump-thrown grenades that fly for miles, planes are too strong, parachute can be opened 5 m off the ground...

Old 10-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #107
Jet Black
Rookie

For the hell of it, I raised my SW:BF AI to Hard and played a little bit... I noticed a big difference in their abilities, intelligence and their ability to listen to commands.

On Rhen Var I was able to bring a fairly good 'platoon' of four or five AI guys to storm the ice cave. We ended up getting pushed back, but it was quite enjoyable and I was very happy with the results.

They're not perfect, but they're not terrible.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #108
Cpt. Bannon

there is a huge gap between the performance of the Medium AI and the Hard AI. on hard, your team listens to you, but gets slaughtered so long as you're not there. the enemies actually strafe a bit, and sometimes roll out of your line of fire. they also are much better at dodging grenades. however, after they roll, they seem to get amnesia, and they just stand there until you start shooting them again, and if you bounce a grenade off a wall, they seem to ignore it more. all in all, i find the AI in this game to be good, for AI, but no match for a human (of course)

Cpt. Bannon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2004, 03:31 AM   #109
Master William

I played COOP once, and the bots were owning me (didn't notice they were fooling around) but I always play Conquest.

Planes too strong? How come I keep owning them then? I can't argue with the parachute thing, it's pretty unrealistic, but then again it doesn't bother me
Old 10-30-2004, 04:46 AM   #110
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
[BPlanes too strong? How come I keep owning them then? I can't argue with the parachute thing, it's pretty unrealistic, but then again it doesn't bother me [/B]
Other than the Snow Speeder, all the other flying vehicles are Space Ships... 99.9% of their use would probably be for space, where a parachute would be useless... maybe that's why there isn't one.

In space, nobody can hear you scream
Old 10-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #111
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Planes too strong? How come I keep owning them then? I can't argue with the parachute thing, it's pretty unrealistic, but then again it doesn't bother me
The planes are a lot stronger they they used to be. You've never played against aces or med pilots. They own the map. Planes used to take training to master but now the first noob can just take a plane and blow up everything. The machine guns on the tanks have been rendered 99% inneffective against airplanes. If you don't have an AA gun around and are facing a decent pilot. You're left with praying that he doesn't hit you.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #112
Rends

Dudes and other Network programmers!
Let´s face the facts.
the release date of the next patch may take a bit longer (cause of still not fixed network problems).
Guess if you think now "hey why isn´t it fixed yet?" have a look at:
http://www.pandemicstudios.com/jobs.php

Now if you think what to hell happened to the fired one then check this here:
http://www.picupload.net/files/20043010/1099163185.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So you skilled Network programmers out there! If you are looking for a real challenge have a closer look at the first link above

Rends
Old 11-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #113
Jennaida
Rookie

Current Game: Star Trek Online
Quote:
Originally posted by Rends

Now if you think what to hell happened to the fired one then check this here:
http://www.picupload.net/files/20043010/1099163185.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Nice
Jennaida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2004, 09:27 PM   #114
Tyler_Durden

You know, i think the criteria to get hired as a 2-d/3-d artist at pandemic is way too high. A BS or equivalent? I am a semi-pro illustrator based out of Los Angeles and i can tell you that without a doubt that i am a lot better than a lot of people who have master's degrees who went to Art Center in Pasadena. Not to be a boastful d!ck but it's true. Also 2+ years of experience? How does one get their foot in the freakin door? You have to have had to actually take part in creating a published game to qualify? The hell? They really need to take a good look at their job qualifications if they ever want to fill them quickly and effectively, damn.
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 05:27 AM   #115
Stryker412
Rookie

This was just posted on the Lucasarts forums:

The PC update is almost ready. We are doing some final tests to make sure everything is ready for all languages. After that, we will be releasing the update worldwide. We hope to have version 1.1 out within the next couple days.

In preparation for this release, we've posted an updated dedicated server. This version is required to host games for people who will have the version 1.1 update. It also contains the new features mentioned in earlier posts. You can find this update at Fileplanet here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145862.shtml

Check back soon for info on the PC Update release!

The Star Wars Battlefront Team

Stryker412 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #116
Kurgan
Headhunter

This game has a lot of potential. But until the next patch (and real modding tools), it's just a flash in the pan as far as I'm concerned.

Three decent servers (+the crappy interface) and a SP game that you can basically beat in a day (the rest is just repetative recycling of the same maps with you as a different faction), thanks in part to the shoddy AI.

Option-wise the game is really lacking, which is why it needs mod tools, or a commercial expansion (with all the fixes of the patches that they've talked about built-in from the get-go) soon.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:53 AM   #117
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Kurgan, are you saying you beat all the singleplayer games on "hard" mode? If so, you're a gaming god. I've been playing the SP game fairly regularly, and have only won the rebel conquest portion, and am close to winning the galactic civil war campaign. However, it's not been easy, as each mission I typically have to play several times before I win. Although, I am getting better - I think .

Anyway, like I said before, while I don't think this game is better than Mysteries of the Sith, it is WAY better than Jedi Outcast / Academy.

My two cents, keep the change

Old 11-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #118
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I know I did it on one day. On hard. It's not really that difficult...

Old 11-02-2004, 09:31 AM   #119
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

I must suck then.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #120
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Also 2+ years of experience? How does one get their foot in the freakin door? You have to have had to actually take part in creating a published game to qualify? The hell?
That is usually the case in just about every industry. The famous catch 22...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > News from the DEV TEAM!