lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: If the Dark Trooper were to be improved....
Seeing how the weapon bites, make it better. Leave his armor as crappy as it is. 14 30.43%
Make his Armor way better, but to compensate, leave his weapon the same. 3 6.52%
Leave his weapon and armor the same, but increase the range and charge of his jump pack. 13 28.26%
Stop picking on the Dark Trooper! 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Dark Troopers
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
FauzTran
Lurker

Dark Troopers

The Dark Troopers in this game don't appear very frightening. Their weapons is not very good, their armor is nothing special and their Jump Pack is nothing like the Clone Jet packs.

I would like to know if I'm using it wrong or are the Dark Troopers realy lacking?

If there was an improvement to be made, what would it be?
FauzTran is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
vcdstroyr
Rookie

I remember from the Dark Trooper from the Dark Forces game...It was really something back then...But now yeah it's lacking. But that's the way things have to be to have a good balanced game.

Fear...Fear attracts the fearful.
vcdstroyr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #3
Stingray
Rookie

Rebels vs. Imperials is very balanced now. I don't think you should make any differences cause it will only unbalance the game.

Sure, the darktrooper has a crappy gun, but it's a short-range weapon and should be used for that. Also, the darktrooper's strentgh is his mobility. Use it for capturing spawnpoints, not for heavy firefights.

The darktrooper's jetpack is nothing compared to the clone's jetpack, but the imperials don't fight the clones. You should only compare it to the rebels special unit, which is the wookiee. Compared to that, the darktrooper isn't such a bad unit at all.

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #4
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I'd say opinion n.3 which seems to be the majority. I think he would need a bigger radius on his Blaster, and also better Jet-Pack. But then ppl would start to abuse him more, and angry n00bs would be screaming for a nerf.

Pho3nix is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
Duffking
Lurker

I find the Dark Troopers' weapon highly effective at close range.

Also the jet pack lets me get to placees others cant reach

XBL GT: DUFFKING
Duffking is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Neon
Veteran

dark troopers dont deserve that name.
they are just troopers with a jetpack and a different gun.

Neon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
arachon
Rookie

Location: If I say cold weather blue and yellow flag, big amusment park, vikings, what do you think of
I say replace the with the imperial fleet officer
arachon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
JediJohn
Forumite

yeah why did they change thay the officer is much cooler

JediJohn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #9
Stingray
Rookie

I guess you can express your opinion if you would want the darktrooper be replaced by the imperial officer, but it's not really an answer to the author's question.

I bet he and other would like your opinion about what should be improved about the darktrooper if it were to be improved.

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Rends

You want to improve the Dark trooper?
Are you kidding?
I see a lot Dark trooper killer teams online taking one CP after one and kills you with a single shot why i always need a couple of hits before i get one.
No the Dark trooper is good as is is and in a Team they are killer machines

Rends
Rends is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
Duffking
Lurker

DT can be DEVASTATING at close range..

XBL GT: DUFFKING
Duffking is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
primalunderdog

I think you guys aren't useing him to his full ability.He is awsome just not a front line troop.Every one wants to be the hero,on the battle field you have to have teamates to back you up.He is a realy good support trooper.His weapon is like a shotgun.Use him for jumping on buidings for spread fire cover,or tight hallways or rooms.If ppl would stop going head first into a battle with him he would be awsome.For front line you should use the soldier.

primalunderdog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
Darth Alec
Forumite

yeah he's great for capturing and support, if you use him right, like an ambush unit or strike in the heart of enemy's.

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
RebelScum!
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Alec
yeah he's great for capturing and support, if you use him right, like an ambush unit or strike in the heart of enemy's.
Your right...Both Jet troopers are good for blasting over the enemy and shooting a few in the back opening a whole for the other troopers...Good if you use them right.

Join the BBF

SWbattlefront name:RebelScum!
Check out my Site
RebelScum! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 06:11 AM   #15
arachon
Rookie

Location: If I say cold weather blue and yellow flag, big amusment park, vikings, what do you think of
the darktrooper isn't that bad (urm....ehh....well at least after my mod) they are good taking out "lone wolfes". they jump on them and taking them by surprise (just like the spanish inqusistion in monty pythons flying circus) and elminiate athem with their shotgun. (but my mod is better)
arachon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #16
Armydude71490
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by vcdstroyr
I remember from the Dark Trooper from the Dark Forces game...It was really something back then...But now yeah it's lacking. But that's the way things have to be to have a good balanced game.
I compleatly aggre!

All I want is that awsome looking gun they had in Dark forces then Im set I also agree he is good If you use him right (which I can't "Im more of destro droid man") he also needs to not have storm trooper hands (in first person) and to have a more robotic voice mabe if I destorter was used "hint,hint" when he gives orders he sounds really bad same, for super battle droid needs to not sound like a

If any one cares to know I use the Xbox version so don't suggest mods. I will have to see what the patches and content dls bring Im very impatient

Last edited by Armydude71490; 10-28-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Armydude71490 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #17
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

He needs to be more like the Dark Trooper from dark Forces. If he had a better gun and his Jet Pack had unlimited fuel ((Which it did in Dark Forces)) I would love it. If the gun was just a one hit kill like in Battlefield 1942 Secret weapons of WWII with the British shotgun I'd be fine. BUT NOOOOOOOOO teh yhad to RUIN him. I was looking forwards to himn until I played the game.

Luke Katarn, Colonel of the Lemmonite army.

Clan Commando, join us, and help the Republic! Visit our thread in the Republic Commando forums for more info.

Do you like RPing and have Jedi Academy? Then you should come to JARPing! (Jedi Academy Role Playing) www.freewebs.com/jarping

X-box live gamertag: LukeKatarn
My RPing site: http://voltx.proboards36.com/index.cgi
My aim SN: LukeKatarn
My e-mail: LukeKatarn@yahoo.com
LukeKatarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #18
Armydude71490
Rookie

Unlimited fuel would compleatly imbalance him!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #19
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

I know but if it isn't gonna be like a Dark Trooper why did they put im in?

Clan Commando, join us, and help the Republic! Visit our thread in the Republic Commando forums for more info.

Do you like RPing and have Jedi Academy? Then you should come to JARPing! (Jedi Academy Role Playing) www.freewebs.com/jarping

Old 10-28-2004, 05:20 PM   #20
Armydude71490
Rookie

I see you point man were they awsome in Dark forces! fricken scairy the first time you had to fight one!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #21
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

Yeah. ANd the phase one dudes were COOKIES compared to the Phase two. Phase 3 was just... Shivers run up spine.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #22
Armydude71490
Rookie

Yes yes what would be awsome is if there was a map for historical campaign which was the dark trooper invasion of that first planet you had to go to in dark forces!

You would be imp no vehicles on imp side rebles get a tank or two (imps get only two units phase one dark trooper unique unit for map, and phase two duh) but as a hero they get a phase three also unique for map! the bots would mostly pick phase one darks because humans would probably not!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #23
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

That would be an AWSOME map. the Dark Trooper Faction... That would be AWSOME!

Old 10-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #24
Armydude71490
Rookie

I have been thinking about many things that could be added in an Expanded Universe expansion pack (Could be released for dl on the consols for $ (You know pay to dl))
Old 10-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #25
Cpt. Bannon

if you think the DT is bad, you haven't seen a good pistol person use them. i like to bait my enemies in (or outright kill them, depending on how attentive they are) with the pistol, go behind cover then blast them with my rifle as they come running for me. you really should learn to love your pistol. its actually one of the best weapons in the game, if you're accurate enough. (all factions) it is able to take down a person in 3-4 shots, depending on how accurate you are

EDIT: after playing for a bit more, i thought it might be an interesting idea to make it so that grenades (only grenades, though) hurt the DT half as much. i dont know if this is possible in this engine, but the DT wouldnt be overpowered, and it would be neat to get tossed like a ragdoll by a grenade, only to get back up and continue fighting. that would ad a bit of a more fearsome edge to them w/o overpowereing them + it just looks and feels cool to survive a grenade when you were playing soccer with it.

Last edited by Cpt. Bannon; 10-29-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Cpt. Bannon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 10:01 PM   #26
Effexx
Lurker

I just think that every class should have something slightly wrong with them... If the DT had unlimited flying abilities, and a more accurate/powerful weapon then he would quickly become the "whore" class, and everyone would want to be on that faction and play as a DT... Matches would become a joke because nobody would want to play as a severely underclassed Rebel fighting against an army of DTs who have extreme mobility, and long range shooting capabilities...

Players will either love or hate each class for whatever strength or weakness it already has, and niche roles will be formed by the players that learn to master that particular class.. It's all about adapting to overcome a classes' shortcomings.. not whining about them...

Everyone's right.. Learn to use a DT effectively...

Effexx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #27
The Hype
Rookie

Sigh...they didn't RUIN the Darktrooper. Bitching about the accuracy of the Darktrooper EU facts is pointless on a gaming messageboard. It's all about balance, and what the developers had in mind when making this class.

As was stated before, and like I've stated in the other Darktrooper thread....they are an invasion class. Their sole purpose is to clear out CP's before the backup arrives. Think about it, if you've got a few DT's pounce onto a CP all at once, everyone is screwed. Unless the Rebel players are good at close range, the shottie will take them down in no time. And if on the off chance the DT's get overwhelmed, they'll probably hold out in time for the rest of the Imperials to mop up and take the point. That's the reason they're jetpack goes in short bursts, so they can pick a CP and tear it up.
The Hype is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #28
primalunderdog

Man watch your language on this thread,i know it's not up to me to tell you but stop it,I don't even complain about the dark trooper you need to read everything before you go saying somthing that is not even talking about now,we got over the idea that they suck 13 post ago!

Old 10-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #29
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

AS I SAID BEFORE! THEY CAN'T BALENCE IT WITHOUT MAKEING IT PROPER SO JUST TAKE THE DANG CLASS OUT! The Hype, learn to respect your lucasforums people who have been here longer then you. Darth Tepe tought me this lesson.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:39 AM   #30
primalunderdog

Me and my friend play online after school and we will be dark troopers and run around on buildings sniping the crap out of people.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:41 AM   #31
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

How can you snipe with a shotgun? I'd LOVE the dark troopers if their weapon was one hit kill like the Brit shotgun from Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WW II. IT WAS AWSOME! Not to mention, it wasn't slow fireing unlike the Dark Trooper gun.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 AM   #32
Darth Alec
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
How can you snipe with a shotgun?

it's easy, with the spread it just makes every shot different, i actuly do snipe but not to much or your batha fodder.
i get two shots in with it + it's wasn't created for sniping it was created for close combat and choke point's, never use a unit for somthing it wasen't made for.

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2004, 08:11 AM   #33
Armydude71490
Rookie

I aggre everyone just leave the DT alone he is good as he is!!!

Xbox Live name: Armydude71490
Stormtrooper: LW-6989
Phase 3 Dark Trooper
Imperial

Imperial March
If you want to Dl right click "save target as" or similar!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #34
Estilia Bane
Rookie

The dark trooper is good, but you have to use him like he's intended - as a close range killer. Jump him into range with the jump pack, cap a few soldiers, then get out of the way. Or sneak around and pop people in the back before they know you're there. You cannot rush into fire with the DT and expect him to be effective, though, that's suicide.

Estilia Bane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #35
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

proper perspective

The Dark Troopers gun is just fine, you just have to know how to use it.

Its a basic 'laser shotgun' as the shot spreads in like fashion.

Shotguns aren't meant to be used like assault rifles(med to long range), but for close quarter fighting. If you are close enough, all 5 shots hit the target at once inflicting massive damage.

Ideal for the Jabba's palace map actually, but only if used correctly.
MasterChiefRulZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 06:37 PM   #36
Immolator
Rookie

I actually prefer the dark trooper to the republic version- his jetpack has less fuel and manoeuvrability, but is so much faster that he is almost impossible to hit. And a full fuel load gives you two jumps- jump in, blast someone, drop a grenade, jump out. Also, if you're about to lose, his speed means that he is your best hope of breaking out of the last control point and taking another. I've turned round loads of games by doing this.
He's also good for sniper hunting, once he's close he's on a far superior footing and can nail the guy in the head.

'If you're the last man standing you're not fighting hard enough!'
Immolator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #37
GlobalStrike

Location: In the sand people enclave on tatooine, asking for permission to blast the sand people's chieftain.
His weapon kinda blows, so i voted for that. I don't even
know how to use the jetpack, which brings me to my next question, how do you use the jetpack on the xbox version?

"The chieftain does not seem to like you master. May i blast him?" HK-47 Kotor

Behold! The ultimate weapon! The death star forge!

29% jedi knight www.jeditest.com Who side are you on?

Last edited by GlobalStrike; 11-27-2004 at 12:18 AM.
GlobalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 04:07 AM   #38
Armydude71490
Rookie

Press A twice!

THe manual Sucks dosen't say anthing about get packs!

Xbox Live name: Armydude71490
Stormtrooper: LW-6989
Phase 3 Dark Trooper
Imperial

Imperial March
If you want to Dl right click "save target as" or similar!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #39
DarkSide 99
Lurker

I think that the Dark Troopers are underestimated a bit too much, and their shotgun-like spread can be devestating at close range. The jetpack is pretty bad compared to the clone counterpart, but it can be used to jump over obstacles for people who like to rush in and take command posts quickly. The DT's jetpack moves a lot faster then the clone one, so he is also less likely to get shot out of the sky. However, the lack of control on how you can maneuver is pretty bad, and it runs out of fuel quickly, so I only use it on certain maps that require rushing to capture CP's, but on open maps like Hoth or the Dune Sea, the DT is pretty useless.

DarkSide 99
DarkSide 99 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #40
Mono_Giganto
Giant Monkey of Doom™

Current Game: Baldur's Gate EE
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The jetpack is supposed to be more of a super jump than an actual jetpack, and it should generally be used in conjunction with the gun, IE instead of trying to SNIPE with it, use the jetpack to get close, where that gun HURTS. I've done this on many maps, including both Bespin maps, and have made it through the entire level getting one hit kills and not dying.

Mono_Giganto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Dark Troopers