lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Would you rather have Shaw or Hayden as Anakin in the ghost scene at the end of ROTJ
Sebastian Shaw 39 57.35%
Hayden Christiansen 29 42.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: OT DVD ghost scene
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-03-2005, 07:37 PM   #81
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
^^^
Good point (even though fans would freak out if Ewan was put in). BTW, Welcome to the forums!

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #82
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
As for having our cake and eating it too, one person (I can't remember where) suggested a compromise.

Show the three Force Ghosts (or Jedi Spirits, whatever you want to call 'em) as they are in ROTJ for the normal duration, and then have them slowly fade into "younger" versions of themselves. Shaw becomes Christiansen, Guiness becomes McGregor and finally ol' Yoda puppet becomes CG Yoda in his prime like we've never seen before... at a spry 100 years of age, or something.

This could show the characters as they were when they REALLY died, all as old men, and their "rejuvination" in the Force to show that age no longer has any meaning for them. Luke smiles, rest of movie continues as before.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #83
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
That'd be pretty sweet...

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #84
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I like that idea, that would have been pretty sweet indeed.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #85
idle
Rookie

Hurrufm! Agreed, great idea.

I doubt the topic about it would get up to 9 pages though. :P

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #86
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Which would you rather have?

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #87
idle
Rookie

These topics are saving LucasForums!1!!one!

Shaw or LucasForums?

Lucas's plan all along, to keep messageboards across the world alive with chat.

^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #88
Brottor
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome. Kurgan that is a great idea. Perhaps we can talk to Lucas and he can make the change when he rereleases them for the 10th time.
Brottor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #89
Kurgan
Headhunter

Or the 11th....

Actually I think some enterprising fan could do it right now as a "test concept" animation or something. Just use a shot or two of Yoda and Ewan from ROTS. Maybe a better shot of Anakin not doing his "stalker stare"...

Pass it around the 'net and perhaps Lucas will get the message!

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-05-2005, 04:07 AM   #90
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Yeah, stalker stare.

The "When I figure out how to get into your world again, I'm gonna kill you" look.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 10-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #91
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
@ Kurgan that (ghosts idea) would be sweet. And it would make (most) everybody happy.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #92
Kurgan
Headhunter

Somebody should do a little "proof of concept" of this seriously...

Anybody got some Adobe Premier skills here?

Old 10-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #93
TheExileReturns
Rookie

Whether or not Anakin called himself "Darth Vader" or not at that point is irrelevant. He died as an old man and his soul, which was Anakin Skywalker- became one with the force then. He didn't die in Episode III. To say he died then would be figuratively speaking. George Lucas is way too happy re-editing his old films and re-inventing the wheel each time. Just leave the Shaw ghost in for cryin' out loud...
TheExileReturns is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2005, 02:39 AM   #94
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

I did something I never thought in a million years I'd ever do, and I voted Hayden. The reason is this: I have small kids. 4 of them, all 6 or under. My boy's 4. So he gets the movies to an extent, but until I got the OT on dvd, I don't think he fully understood that it was Anakin at the end of Jedi until he saw Hayden. I've watched Jedi with him several times, and until we saw it together on dvd, he'd never commented on that scene. As it is, he said "Look Dad! Anakin's a ghost!" I never really got the message that these movies (PT, to be specific) aren't just made for me, but also for the kids of today until that happened.

CapNColostomy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 AM   #95
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Eh, not good enough reason.

If he's 4 he's not old enough to watch it anyway.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 10-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #96
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

I was watching Star Wars when I was 4...

Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #97
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni
Eh, not good enough reason.
Maybe not for you, but for CapN it seems it was good enough. We aren't here to convince you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni
If he's 4 he's not old enough to watch it anyway.
Care to give us the retarded logic that led you to this conclusion?
Most people that saw Star Wars were 4-5. Star Wars has always been for little kids, what was marvelous about it was it entertained people of all generations.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #98
idle
Rookie

I don't agree with the "4 year olds understand it better" logic because, well, we just saw Shaw 2 minutes ago and 4 year olds could understand it back in the 80's! Unless the argument for the change is '4 year olds have become stupider' then I totally disagree with that as a good enough reason for the change.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #99
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Errr, Sith, you really need to read posts better.

You might notice the at the end of the sentence?

I rest my case.

(see, Kurgan, this is more than enough to win an "argument" no need to drag it out )

EDIT: Hmm, in case that will also be missunderstood, yes I'm kidding.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Last edited by Jan Gaarni; 10-11-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #100
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle
I don't agree with the "4 year olds understand it better" logic because, well, we just saw Shaw 2 minutes ago and 4 year olds could understand it back in the 80's! Unless the argument for the change is '4 year olds have become stupider' then I totally disagree with that as a good enough reason for the change.
That's not the argument at all. I'm just saying he knows Anakin as Hayden. He's not stupid, he just likes PT alot, and identifies the character of Anakin as Hayden easier than Shaw, because Shaw was Anakin for five ****ing minutes, tops, and Hayden got a little more than four hours as Anakin. There. I spelled it out for you. I don't ask that you agree with the logic, just that you exercise basic reading and comprehension skills, and maybe realize that we're talking about a ****ing four year old.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 AM   #101
idle
Rookie

Calm down for christ's sake.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #102
Great Scott!

Whoa, fanboys ahoy. First of all, I couldn't really decide whether I liked Shaw or Hayden better (I voted Shaw barely only due to the fact I first saw the movie with him in it sense I only have the special edition VHS), but now I'm starting to think Hayden, because as soon as I read that guy's post, it made me remember that when I saw Return of the Jedi (don't laugh- but it was not until last April, and I was, and still am, exactly 10 years older than that kid), I actually asked my brother who he was. He just doesn't look similar enough to Hayden, at least without all the burn marks, that I could actually tell. Also keep in mind this was after seeing all the movies (other than III, as it was not out at the time) in order from I to VI. So I think having Hayden play him really helps, and gives it a better link to the prequel trilogy.
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #103
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wink

Hmm, when I was 6 years old seeing ROTJ I had no problem making the connection that the old guy who was the ghost at the end was Luke's father,Anakin Skywalker. It was obviously the same guy who I'd just seen moments earlier under the mask that Luke took off, only without the scars and his hair was back (surely in "jedi heaven" they fix you up, right? but they don't turn you into a kid again!). No problem...

I even sent away for the bonus action figure of him!

The "oh the kids won't get it" assumes they watched Episodes II and III first, THEN Return of the Jedi. But even then it also assumes they don't understand the concept of aging...

"But why was he old? He should have been young! Even though his kids are all grown up, people don't get old!!!" etc.

Give the kids a little credit. Sure, not every kid understands everything, but this seems like a poor excuse to edit the film. I think he probably was just like:

"well, since I'm tinkering with the movies anyway since I'm George Lucas, what the hell... and now that people are going to associate Hayden with Anakin forever I will give into his googely eyed demands to let him make a "cameo" in Jedi"

Not "Oh no! My definitive vision has been compromised because some little tykes in 2004 DO NOT UNDERSTAND! I must immediately pay somebody to paste in Hayden's face. Ah, thankfully I have a clip of him leering like a madman, perfect! Cut, paste, done!"

Anakin in that scene is thinking "Heh, heh, yeah my boy's a playah just like his old man! I know that's your sister, but she's hot, go for it son!"

Luke, who was formerly smiling at the thought of his father's redemption is momentarily creeped out for a second. He almost wets his Jedi uniform when Leia touches him to go back to the fire. Luke lets himself be taken away from the scary man... Geez dad was a perv!

Anyway, Lucas's kids are old enough to be able to figure that stuff out too. Did a test audience of little brats go "Where's Jar Jar mommy??" leading him to insert the Naboo "wesa free!" clip? Who knows... but I don't see it as a plot point necessity.

Sure you could say after ROTS we basically had no choice but to see that less time had passed between trilogies than we original thought back in the day. But it's really a bigger problem than just Anakin, if we admit that. All the surviving characters look older than they "should be" and events seem like they took place a longer time ago than they did (how could Motti have forgotten the Jedi already? etc). If we can overlook those "inconsistencies" then we can overlook Anakin. But at least if he was going to try to patch the age shift problem, he should have made Anakin look like he ought to have looked under the armor at that time... as a man in his 40's, not a spry 21 year old.

Personally I think all the arguments for the change are BS anyway, as this wasn't really an inconsistency before.

The strongest they can really come up with is "Lucas can do whatever he wants, so I can live with it, since I have no control over it, so stop whining, it's only a few seconds of the entire movie."

Calling somebody a nerd for complaining about this is just as silly, because only a "nerd" would feel the need to defend the change, anyway. Anybody else (non-fans) just wouldn't care one way or the other, IMHO.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #104
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

I never said he didn't know Shaw was supposed to be Anakin, or that it was a good excuse to alter the film. I'm saying he (my son) identifies the character of Anakin as being played by Hayden. That's all. Jeez.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #105
El Sitherino
The Original.

Perhaps you should re-read CapN's post, Kurgan.

:Edit: Beaten by the CapN.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:53 AM   #106
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wink

Maybe he also identifies the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi as being played by Ewan McGregor. Maybe he identifies with Clive Revil as playing the Emperor...

Maybe he identifies with Yoda and Jabba being puppets or one of the different voices of Boba Fett... All he has is an opinion just like everyone else, wonderful, thanks for sharing then!

Old 10-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #107
El Sitherino
The Original.

Someone sounds like they want a debate...

Old 10-13-2005, 12:56 AM   #108
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Sith
Someone sounds like they want a debate...
No Sith, you will find it is you who want to debate, about a great many things!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 AM   #109
CapNColostomy
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
All he has is an opinion just like everyone else, wonderful, thanks for sharing then!
Well yeah. I thought that's what the poll was for. To see what the general opinion was, and maybe discuss it. Not to justify ones reasoning, or prove another persons opinion to be not a good enough reason for the change or whatever. If I assumed incorrectly, then accept my apologies, please.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #110
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up

Don't worry. I've commented so much on the subject I don't even remember what I've said anymore and to whom or why. I've basically thrown out all my good ideas, the rest is rambling. Please ignore.

And please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding or percieved insult.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #111
Great Scott!

Okay, sorry for the lateness of this reply, but first of all, Lucas has claimed that Anakin's original form was preserved by Yoda and Obi-Wan, and they were the ones who created the ghost. If Darth Vader learned that power, don't you think he would've at least mentioned it? He would probably think he was invulnerable and his reign would last forever! Also, about Jar Jar Binks, I don't know what the kiddies think, but Lucas says he died in the explosion of Alderaan. That gungan saying "wesa free" wasn't him.
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #112
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork
Also, about Jar Jar Binks, I don't know what the kiddies think, but Lucas says he died in the explosion of Alderaan. That gungan saying "wesa free" wasn't him.
So there is a God after all.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #113
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork
Okay, sorry for the lateness of this reply, but first of all, Lucas has claimed that Anakin's original form was preserved by Yoda and Obi-Wan, and they were the ones who created the ghost. If Darth Vader learned that power, don't you think he would've at least mentioned it? He would probably think he was invulnerable and his reign would last forever! Also, about Jar Jar Binks, I don't know what the kiddies think, but Lucas says he died in the explosion of Alderaan. That gungan saying "wesa free" wasn't him.

Where did you get all these startling relevations? I'd like to see the source.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:23 AM   #114
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

Ssshhh, Kurgan, don't question it. Jar Jar get's blown to hell!

Don't ruin the moment.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #115
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Jar Jar would have been older than Obi-wan at the end of Return of the Jedi.
Did the gungan saying "weesa free" sound like an elderly person?

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #116
SarahSkywalker
Rookie

I voted for Hayden because seeing him at the end really helped me connect the PT with the OT and I think it's only fitting that Anakin should be shown before he turned to the dark side.

There is no emotion, there is peace
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge
There is no passion, there is serenity
There is no chaos, there is harmony
There is no death, there is the Force.

Icon by iconzicons
SarahSkywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #117
JMAS
Lurker

Definely Shaw

"Don't make me go Vader on you. - Wedge Antilles
JMAS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #118
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

Shaw, because the change makes little sense and Hayden's face does not belong in the OT. I would accept (as a compromise) Kurgan's "fade-to-youth" idea.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #119
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I'd say Hayden. Maybe because I don't recall what Shaw looks like. If somebody could put up a pic of him......

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #120
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Hayden is the obvious choice.
I know when he died he wasn't Vader, he was Anakin and he didn't look young, but he didn't look old and fat either.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > OT DVD ghost scene