lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you think Battlefront was a disapointment
Yes 23 32.86%
No 47 67.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Who else thought that Battlefront was a disapointment?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
E.T.G.
Lurker

Who else thought that Battlefront was a disapointment?

I love the star wars games, but I really thought that battlefront was a huge disapointment. They could have done alot more too it. Everyone that Ive talked too about thought it was great, but am I the only one who thinks of it as a disapointment?

Live long and prosper
-Extra Terrestrial Gamer
E.T.G. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
blooddemonex
Lurker

Yes. I really dispise that game. But then again I don't like it when you dont get a light sabre. Ahhhh.
blooddemonex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Just wait for more patches...

And the modding community will pick up soon, which will really expand the game.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
E.T.G.
Lurker

I hope that you are right.

Live long and prosper
-Extra Terrestrial Gamer
E.T.G. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Darth_ToMeR
Veteran

I think it could be better, but i'm not dissappointed.
And i want a bigger communuty

My KOTOR Mods Site:
http://darthtomer.tripod.com
Darth_ToMeR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Darth Alec
Forumite

Well i mean that which console you play changes the game, like the PC version was a disapointment but the PS2 version was new and refreshening and rather fun. i guess which console decides.

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
At the moment i'm slightly dissapointed. Sure its fun to play but I expected more.

Will be waiting for patches and modding community

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Master William
Addicted to SW:BF 2

Let's just say Battlefield keeps me coming back for more while Battlefront rarely ever does.
Master William is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #9
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

It could have alot of improvment, it didn't let me down though. I did think there would be more maps and they would be bigger and stuff, it was still good.

Luke Katarn, Colonel of the Lemmonite army.

Clan Commando, join us, and help the Republic! Visit our thread in the Republic Commando forums for more info.

Do you like RPing and have Jedi Academy? Then you should come to JARPing! (Jedi Academy Role Playing) www.freewebs.com/jarping

X-box live gamertag: LukeKatarn
My RPing site: http://voltx.proboards36.com/index.cgi
My aim SN: LukeKatarn
My e-mail: LukeKatarn@yahoo.com
LukeKatarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 01:50 AM   #10
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
This is one closed thread...

But OK:
1. Too small maps.
2. Jedi NPCs..
3. Jet pack troopers.
4. Dark Troopers.
5. Wookies.
6. Pilots who for some reason function as engineers (huh?).
7. Forced game play.
8. Tauntauns...? Huh? In battle?!
9. Where's that goddamned DEMO?!
10. Lasers move too slowly.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 02:26 AM   #11
RebelScum!
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by blooddemonex
Yes. I really dispise that game. But then again I don't like it when you dont get a light sabre. Ahhhh.
i think the best part about this game is that you're the stormtrooper/rebel running around killing each other...Instead of being a jedi and owning all the stormtroopers...plus you never could be a evil jedi.....

Join the BBF

SWbattlefront name:RebelScum!
Check out my Site
RebelScum! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 AM   #12
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Well....Yes and No. The multiplayer was a disappointment, but it just needs a few patches

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 04:13 AM   #13
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
They could have done more, but I'm not disappointed, no.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 04:49 AM   #14
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
They could have done more, but I'm not disappointed, no.
i agree,

it's a fun game, i wasn't really expecting anything more than that.
however there is room for improvement. hopefully the next patch(es) will improve it.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #15
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

9. Where's that goddamned DEMO?!
That is what I was waiting for so I could decide whether to get the PC version or not. I guess the decision was made for me.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 05:53 AM   #16
KingDwarf307
Rookie

why do people always talk about they want a lightsabre? if they wan't lightsabre then buy the game called: jedi knight jedi academy! do you have swords in battlefield? no! maybe they make a mod for lightsabre!

I also like the game but they could have done more to it!

: oh chi chi... bahda
KingDwarf307 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 07:31 AM   #17
Dragnarr
Rookie

Excuse me but WHAT modding community, so far I've seen zero modding activity. All I see is kids complaining about how there should be a jedi class.... well great add that in to ruin the game for good . Sorry to say but I doubt the game will get any better no matter how many big patches Pandemic will put out. Hugely dissapointed, another of these console games turned into PC

Overlord of the Demonic Monsters clan

|DeMo|

http://www.democlan.tk/
Dragnarr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 09:34 AM   #18
Whoopknacker

Problem with PC version was that we had already been introduced to the man and machine combat with BF42 and others. We obviously expected SWBF to outdo those titles, with all of the hype. Still BF42 had alot of problems when it started. As time and support (not abandoning) went on the game got patches and the game play was alot better (not perfect) but better. Give the game some time, the gameplay is not worth giving up on.

Problems Ive seen
Multiplayer - browser, etc
Skins - Man those are some ugly first person views

Thank you sir may I have another
Whoopknacker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #19
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
why do people always talk about they want a lightsabre? if they wan't lightsabre then buy the game called: jedi knight jedi academy!
It's the same for Galactic Conquest. They don't have jet packs either, so you can imagine the yapping... on and on and on.

Look, Battlefront is about infantry- and vehicle combat. Lightsabres won't be in it. Period. Look, it seems to be like this with the majority for every cause in battle field.. spawn times should be low on ALL servers. ALL maps should be big. Yattata, yattata, yattata... and now people go "ALL RTS g4m3z sh0ld av3 l1gts4b3rZzz!!!!!!111"

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
rut-wa jodar

I`m shocked at how sloppy the Admins have become. This thread should have been closed, the moment it was created.

I`ve bent my
rut-wa jodar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #21
Tyler_Durden

I'm just wondering if those who have given up on the game will come back to it after all the problems have been fixed. And will former server admins set up their servers again? Also a little game called Halo 2 comes out next week which will totally kill any other game playing for a while.
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #22
MistressDeath
Rookie

Angry Swbf Should = Bf1942 In The Star Wars Universe!!

I would copy BF1942 down to the last question mark in the code and then add the Star Wars textures and models! BF1942 is the bench mark for all online deathmatch games. I am still playing BF1942 all the time with 2000 tickets. If I were Pandemic and I am glad I am not, I would play BF1942 and get to it on the coding. They are in jeopardy of being a laughing stock in the gaming community if they aren't already. I thought it was only ok to mess up a Star Trek license. If they don't get a patch out soon that takes care of all the problems then they will mess up this Star Wars license. Anyway, I already feel like they messed it up. It just seems like the game was made for a Pentium II 450MHZ with US Robotics 56K modem. EVERYTHING IS UNDERSIZED!! My P4 3.2EGHZ Prescott, 1GB PC3200 400DDR and Ati Radeon 9800 are laughing at this game. Anyway, thank the amino acid pools of life for Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War! GREAT GAME!!! This game got my mind off the cardinal sin of games........SWBF.

MD
Long Live Market Garden!

Mara Jade Rocks!
Intel P4 3.2GHZ E Prescott
MSI Neo 2 PFisr 865PE
Kingston 1GB PC3200 2-3-3
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
MistressDeath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #23
Cyclone7
Rookie

Thumbs down

lock please...
Cyclone7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #24
Tyler_Durden

I think the best is yet to come. Wait for the fixes, the mod tools, then later, the new maps and mods. This engine can handle a lot more than we think. Someone on the editing forums i belive stated they increased the map size as well as added 50 sarlacc pits in addition to the bots with no slow down whatsoever.

To me this means that i can make maps exponentially larger, add more slots for more players as well as add more vehicles without any performance loss, plus the fact you can do just about anything imaginable with star wars, i think we haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done.

Only problem is people (especially noobs) coming to the wrong conclusions all too soon and impose that onto other people. It's called group mentality, get a brain and think for yourself. The problem is that people are actually leaving the community and my hope is that once they see the potential for this game that they will return.

Mods, i think this topic does need closing.
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #25
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT! i have it for xbox is there any partches online?? or something?

SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #26
Zerosaber
Rookie

This game is really not that bad. I kinda find it a little bit addictive. But compared to some other star wars games and other War-based game I think it could've done better. The trailers and ads made it look good but it's just a disappointment for us gamers.
Zerosaber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #27
Sam Fisher
eh.

Well, I really haven't played the game in like 3 weeks

Been on KotOR.

Yea. Well, I really didn't like the ticket caps or the enemy AI.

stuck in an eternity of sunshine and chocolate.
Sam Fisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #28
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Each to his opinion of course. I haven't played BF1942, but if it's anything like Battlefront, then it is nowhere near the "benchmark for all FPS games."

I'd put that closer to say the UT series, or the JK series, depending upon what things you consider "essential" in terms of benchmarks (gameplay? graphics? puzzles? story? single player? multiplayer?).

Then again if you just want to talk engines, then the Quake games and Unreal games are it, because those are the engines that most FPS games are based on, these days. Then of course we the less popular LithTech and now Doom3 to add to that list of liscensed FPS engines...

Anyway, if you're a big BF1942 fan, I'm told there's this free Star Wars mod for it called "Galactic Conquest" (see LucasFiles.com)....

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #29
MistressDeath
Rookie

Well, what you have said makes sense no doubt. I am upset with the finished product that went gold or bronze. Obviously there is massive potential, anyone can see that. This just seems like a pioneered effort instead of an effort that should have been based on all the great examples and content that has been available for years. I am very passionate about Star Wars and felt compelled to voice my opinion. If people leave the community, you don't have me and the countless others who are extremely disappointed with this effort to blame. Please blame Pandemic for an inferior product and Lucas for the ridiculous deadline. My hope along with all Star Wars fans is for this game to follow the path of BF1942, which had a ton of problems when it came out. So hopefully a year from now SWBF will finally be a proud Star Wars and BF1942 model.

MD

Mara Jade Rocks!
MSI Neo 2 PFisr 865PE
Old 11-04-2004, 05:26 AM   #30
MistressDeath
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Each to his opinion of course. I haven't played BF1942, but if it's anything like Battlefront, then it is nowhere near the "benchmark for all FPS games."

I'd put that closer to say the UT series, or the JK series, depending upon what things you consider "essential" in terms of benchmarks (gameplay? graphics? puzzles? story? single player? multiplayer?).

Then again if you just want to talk engines, then the Quake games and Unreal games are it, because those are the engines that most FPS games are based on, these days. Then of course we the less popular LithTech and now Doom3 to add to that list of liscensed FPS engines...

Anyway, if you're a big BF1942 fan, I'm told there's this free Star Wars mod for it called "Galactic Conquest" (see LucasFiles.com)....
I agree to a certain extent. I am talking about a multiplayer game that allows vehicle and infantry combat. Some more good examples are BFVietnam and UT2004. I am not a huge UT2004 vehicle/infantry fan. I play UT2004 in DM all the time though and it's a great, great game that way no doubt the best. I am going to run with this. Take a look at UT2004. They could have just made more maps and slapped a 2004 title on it. But no, they took the ball and pulled off the same play the Tenessee Titans did against the Bills many years ago on the last play of the game. They went above and beyond all expectations for a sequel. I felt BFVietnam didn't go as high in standards as UT2004 but it is still a very solid sequel. Now you try to look at SWBF the same way and you cannot. It's not finished by a long shot. The Jedi games are great games but they are not of the same genre as far as vehicle/infantry combat. I should know I have beaten them all. Also, I am a huge fan of the Lith Tech/Jupiter engine. I am currently enjoying TRON 2.0 immensely. Listen, my whole point was just to say that I LOVE Star Wars! I feel that when a game is made after this license that there needs to be more quality checks involved and no ridiculous deadlines. My hope is that this game is finished and becomes one of the greatest of all time. Thanks for your reply and I have played the Galactic Conquest mod and I think it's a good work in progress.

MD

Mara Jade Rocks!
MSI Neo 2 PFisr 865PE
Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 AM   #31
Servant
Rookie

Galatcic conquest (UT mod) is ify and it does not feel right, but now when we have a new game, and good engine from pandemic thing are better in SW gaming world. Every SW game before, I didnt like much (didnt play Galaxies though), or thay were just OK. This is the first time I took efort to play the SW game much longer then before. So, you are right they could have made better game/levels, but I guess they were pushed by LA. Anyhow, engine is great and I am confident that the community (guru and others) will make this game legend but in a year or so. And do not ferget, If LA goes to SWBF 2 in the future, who knows what they will bing to us. I am also bit dissapointed in maps/size/vehicles but very happy that there is good enough SW game which can be improved (and this is what we on editing forum are trying to do, but it is hard for now).
Servant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 05:58 AM   #32
Whoopknacker

Just played it with the new patch and all I have to say is wow, a vast improvement. Within 8 wks of release a good patch. The AI was much better. I was getting slaughtered by the AI. We need more people online for PC plz. Ive been playing BF42 since the single player demo and Im not a total noob at FPS games. I usually make the top ten in BF42. I will say the textures are not that good in SWBF. You can make improvements on that. Look at what Merciless Creations did for BF42. There is such a night and day difference in sound and enviorment. First person skins can be changed. That is the only problem I see now, that is communications.

Thank you sir may I have another
Whoopknacker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 AM   #33
richcz3

It's clear Pandemic rushed the title to meet the Star Wars DVD release.
What is almost as clear is that Pandemic looks like they are making a strong effort to patch up the problems. Now one month after release we are getting another patch v1.1 from Pandemic. That's allot faster than most developers I know.

Dice's Battlefiled:1942 was buggy and a resource hog at v.1.0. It wasn't until 1.4 that many of the bigger problems like lag and hit boxes were dealt with. We need to show a little patience.

richcz3
richcz3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 06:53 AM   #34
Jet Black
Rookie

I played Battlefield 1942 for two + years (still play it occasionally) so I'll simply say this:

I like Star Wars: Battlefront *because* it's different. If it was the same game, what would be the draw? I like the fun action-packed battles, I like the strict character classes, and I like the Star Wars.

1942 is a great game, but it is different. It's slower paced, bigger terrain and anchored in reality.

Battlefront is a Sci-Fi game in a make-believe universe... it shouldn't be copy/pasted on top of the 1942 engine, it should be its own beast.
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #35
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
online lags too much. it got old after like a week. =\ I wish there were MORE MAPS. they shoulda put like 5 different maps for each planet, imo...

Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 AM   #36
MistressDeath
Rookie

One thing I have become over time as a PC gamer is patient. There is hardly a game created that is perfect out of the box. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that the last game to come out that was perfect and didn't need any patches was Freedom Fighters by EA. This game was AWESOME and I haven't seen the squad based order system done this well since this game. So, I am patient, it's just when Star Wars is involved I would like to see games that are made in this universe treated with the same respect as the Star Wars movies. Let me clarify that I don't want to wait 3 years for a Star Wars game to come out, like we wait for the Star Wars movies. But I feel it doesn't always take as long to make a game as a movie depending on the type of game. Half Life 2 took 5 years to finish and will be available 11/16/04 and it's already game of the year, hands down and no questions asked. Star Wars needs this respect.

To Developers, Please don't use Star Wars as a quick buck license like Star Trek became.

Thanks for all your replies and I agree with them all to a certain extent. I hope this SWBF game runs the same course as BF1942.

MD

Mara Jade Rocks!
MSI Neo 2 PFisr 865PE
Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #37
richcz3

To add a point in the positive column, Pandemic has disclosed they will release tools at some point.
Keep in mind, even after BF:1942 was doing really well in sales, DICE never released any official tools for the modding community.

Without soundling like a fan boy, lets see how long Pandemic keeps the support up.

richcz3
richcz3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #38
JDKnite188

I am disappointed. There was not enough work and precision put into this game, considering that it was such a great title with high potential for awesomeness. Too many bugs, too inconvenient of an interface, too much focus on the console (although I acknowledge that SW:BF was initially created for XBox and PS2). These problems probably shifted people away from the community, mainly based on PC play.
JDKnite188 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 07:27 AM   #39
JoffyFett_TAW
Lurker

Now that the technical issues are coming under control through the patches im hoping they can focus more on some future updates. The concept of this game is one that really could be massive in the gaming community.

At the moment i think my only gripe would be that the maps are too small. Some of the missions with the Tie fighters and X-wings need expanding because there just isnt enough room for these guys to fly around and dogfight. A Death star level would be nice

But with the SW universe being so huge and diverse im not worried that they will run out of idea's on additions to the game.
JoffyFett_TAW is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #40
rozo100
Rookie

I dont see why you dont like it E.T.G....... Becuse it is my #1 favoret game!(even tho ive never playd it!

Your Famous Last Words Will Be:

"I dunno, press the button and find out."
What Will Your Famous Last Words Be?
http://www.blogthings.com/whatwillyo...stwordsbequiz/
rozo100 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Who else thought that Battlefront was a disapointment?