lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Stormtrooper Mod
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #41
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

If there's no nicknames then it takes away a huge part of their personalities! From the conversations we hear in the Jedi Knight games we know that some Stormtroopers aren't by-the-book and very well have their own personalities and have companions among their squad.

Echo company? Ehh... on Hoth it'd be weird being Echo squad attacking Echo Base.

What troop would I be other than the leader? Eh... none.
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 02-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #42
TK-425
Forumite

Yeah, well its open to discussion, and yeah it would be wierd for the hoth thing but I'm not crazy about Saber... maybe.... I HAVE IT! WHISKEY COMPANY And remember TK, you cant be the leader cuz... well, I outrank you

TK-425 is offline   you may:
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #43
Redtech
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252
Only sucked at shooting the heroes. Watch the Tantive IV boarding party to see how Stormtroopers can really kick ass.

Anyway, to be honest I think "lead" would be a weak nickname. Maybe "sarge" or however you spell the short for sergeant.
Ever seen the Matrix trilogy? The enemies in that were tougher than nails, yet the heroes won. I mean, in the third one, they were running across the ceiling?...

They were really string opponents in those films.

-----
Sarge is a bit "generic" though, I mean, he isn't a Quake 3 bot! Lead is a tad weak though, I didn't want him being called "leader!"

I am the definition of your defeat.
Redtech is offline   you may:
Old 02-14-2005, 12:35 AM   #44
Redtech
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by TK42235
Yeah, pretty good red, although I probably will change or exclude some things for having a little to much drama for being a Stormtrooper Also, I dont know about nicknames, I like just calling them by there code(more like the movies).
I think nicknames are handy, because being human, we relate to names better than numbers. Doesn't mean they don't call each other by numbers, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell that TK223021921 is the sociopath and TP 5302943029 is the quiet one just by name. :P

Don't make their stories too dull now, it's Star Wars, where else can a farmboy be the hero of the rebel alliance and a whole army can be created out of the best bounty hunter of the era?!?

Old 02-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #45
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Redtech
Sarge is a bit "generic" though, I mean, he isn't a Quake 3 bot! Lead is a tad weak though, I didn't want him being called "leader!"
Well hey, so is "Boss."
Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #46
adillon

just because from the exterior they are nameless and faceless, there's no reason why they cannot have unique personalities. by the time of the OT, there are significantly more non-clones in the ranks, as the clone wars have depleted the inventory, and the academy is actively recruiting. therefore, it's a given they come from different backgrounds and have completely different stories.

ever see the fan-flick Troops? even though you don't know much about the individual troopers, you get a sense that they are unique individuals underneath the armor, rather than single-minded, brainwashed cannon fodder.

are there plans to help visually distinguish who's who? i don't see the RC's paint schemes to be appropriate for stormtroopers ... maybe the HUD gives each squad member a color-coded 'halo' of sorts? just thinking out loud ...
adillon is offline   you may:
Old 02-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #47
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by adillon
are there plans to help visually distinguish who's who? i don't see the RC's paint schemes to be appropriate for stormtroopers ... maybe the HUD gives each squad member a color-coded 'halo' of sorts? just thinking out loud ...
There could be little things like maybe Wings gets a holster, Scope gets some ammo pouches on his belt (like on Sandtroopers), Grudge's armor is especially dirty, stuff like that.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #48
TK-425
Forumite

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about how to tell them appart adillon. I think probably if its postible have the number and rank (mabe the name of the trooper?) like www.stardestroyer.net speculates probably to halo though. Also, I like TK's idea too. As for nicknames, I still dont know. Howabout actual names being used instead of nicknames (maybe some more free spirited trooper(s?) may use a nickname here or there?) I still dont like using a bunch of nicknames for Stormtroopers. Unless someone here comes up with some really good ones And yes, I have seen Troops (and enjoyed it!) I downloaded it onto a CD that got corupted. But thats beside the matter at hand, there was no question each trooper should have his own personality. It was a question of using nicknames for every Stormtrooper. TK, can you post everything you know about Stormtroopers here that you havent?

Old 02-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #49
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

There's no need for that (plus I'd be sitting here all night ).

It's an option for real names to be used (since this squad might be regular recruits rather than clones), but still, I like the way it's done for the Republic Commandos. I think that a Stormtrooper mod should keep as much structure of the game as close to Republic Commando as possible. It'd be different using just numbers, or real names and numbers, or nicknames and numbers like in RC.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #50
TK-425
Forumite

I've alwase wanted to have the hud thing for the mod so I think I will go along with it. I think I will have it display the numbers & real names. Also, if we were to use nicknames, howabout we come up with some really fitting ones that dont sound to silly that sound Star Wars and very militaresque and tough sounding. Maybe some real names too.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #51
Redtech
Veteran

You've got to keep "Grudge" though. I mean, makes him sound like a mo-fo.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #52
Drax Kreiger
Rookie

The funniest nickname I ever heard was from Hot Shots: "Dead Meat". But for nicknames, would Star Wars animals be appropriate? One guy would be something like Kryat. Just a thought.
Drax Kreiger is offline   you may:
Old 02-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #53
adillon

i was just checking out the star wars databank to see of there was anything describing the stormtroopers to help visually differentiate them. here's an idea for the squad leader ...
Quote:
Officers were denoted with colored shoulder pauldrons.
as for the squad as a whole, *MAYBE* they could be sandtroopers, because ...
Quote:
Desert stormtroopers, or sandtroopers, were identical to normal stormtroopers except for their specialized training and slightly modified armor. This elite corps emphasized independent-thinking more than standard stormtrooper units.
the sandtroopers especially seem to wear various types of equipment (backpacks, belts, etc). they still have the standard white color, but of all the mutliple versions of the 'trooper they seem to have the most variation.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #54
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

They'd only be Sandtroopers on Tatooine (or if there would be any other desert planets). Everyone (except if you could somehow see yourself) would just have black pauldrons, since they're not officers.

But it doesn't matter really what you look like, because you can't see anything on yourself except your arms.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #55
Drax Kreiger
Rookie

but were talking about how you look to other people, right?
Drax Kreiger is offline   you may:
Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #56
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

More how other people look to you. After all you can only see your arms in this game.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:06 AM   #57
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
In FPS games there's some quick and easy ways to tell who's who when everyone has an identical skin...

The player's name floating over their model, the "team beacon" icon, crosshair colors when mouse-ing over their model, etc.

As to making a Single Player mode with these individualistic troopers, yeah, you could do it there too.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 02-21-2005, 03:18 PM   #58
TK-425
Forumite

You spelled Wookiee wrong?!!

Last edited by TK-425; 02-22-2005 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #59
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
You spelled wookiee rong!
You spelled wrong wrong.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #60
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Quote:
You spelled Wookiee rong?!!
You spelled wrong wrong.
click

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may:
Old 02-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #61
adillon

Quote:
They'd only be Sandtroopers on Tatooine (or if there would be any other desert planets).
correct, but i was sharing that info as an example which could be carried over to this MOD as a way to individualize the members of the squad. it's been dealt with in star wars canon, so i don't see a reason to 'borrow' that idea for these guys, even though they're not sandtroopers.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:52 AM   #62
TK-425
Forumite

Quote:
correct, but i was sharing that info as an example which could be carried over to this MOD as a way to individualize the members of the squad. it's been dealt with in star wars canon, so i don't see a reason to 'borrow' that idea for these guys, even though they're not sandtroopers.
Huh?

Btw, do you think we would be able to use Hapslashes models? I mean the ones strait out of 3ds MAX. Not the ones he has converted to JA.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 AM   #63
Redtech
Veteran

*Waves*
Yo. Erm, what did you want to talk about? :P

Old 03-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #64
El Sitherino
The Original.

Please don't spam, if people aren't going to talk, they won't.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:00 AM   #65
adillon

Quote:
Huh?
well, star wars canon has given a type of stormtrooper variation ... in this case it is the sandtrooper. that said, there's no reason why you cannot take a similar idea and have it reflect with this mod.

after all, they went off the beaten path by giving the RCs personalized armor and nicknames, why not do that with the characters in the mod but in keeping with something that's been 'officially' established in the star wars universe.

heh, i probably didn't clarify a thing ...
Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 AM   #66
El Sitherino
The Original.

Sounds like a good idea to me. *shrugs*

Old 03-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #67
Redtech
Veteran

Yeah, realism isn't any fun if it's anal about it. I don't mean take liberties, but how many people can tell stormies apart anyway?

Old 03-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #68
L2.0

Quote:
we all know the expendable stormtrooper couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn.
Obi-wan: And these blast points, too accurate for Sandpeople. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.
L2.0 is offline   you may:
Old 03-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #69
ZBomber
Octavarium

Forum Veteran 
I think stormies have good aim, it's just the E-11 rifles that have bad aim.

Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may:
Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #70
TK-425
Forumite

So what would we call the mod? I was thinking about Galactic Empire mod. But that makes it sound too big for what we are doing. We cannot call it Stormtrooper Commando because were not using Stormtrooper Commandos.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #71
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

There was a rumor at TFN that they're working on the concept for a possible sequel, Imperial Commando. With Delta squad now under the control of the Empire, they are assigned to hunt down the Jedi.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #72
TK-425
Forumite

I hope not.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 AM   #73
TCC-9
Lurker

Quote:
I hope not.
Yep, I don't wanna hunt jedis. I'd like to see some dead rebels down at my feet
TCC-9 is offline   you may:
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #74
TK-425
Forumite

Hoora.

Last edited by TK-425; 03-22-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #75
ZBomber
Octavarium

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Please don't spam, if people aren't going to talk, they won't.
I'm no mod or anything, but just a friendly reminder, TK42235

Sensibility
Old 03-05-2005, 11:35 PM   #76
ZBomber
Octavarium

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Quit spamming, ZBomber.
I was just giving you a friendly reminder before a mod spots you and you get warned, I don't really care if you're hostile or not.

On topic, I don't think there will be a sequel to this game. That is, if it's popularity doesn't get a major boost in the next week/month.

Sensibility
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #77
Raingod
Lurker

Don't know if you guys know this or not, but RC uses the Unreal2 engine. I was working on a now dead mod for UT2K4, but you could basicly do anything with the game. So you could probebly use the tools which come with UT2K4 to mod this game (Haven't tried this yet but will check it out) untill the offical tool come out which should just be a special version of UnrealED, which is the tool you use to do everything expect do the models and textures. The files formats are all the same so should work.

So once the tools are out if they do release the full version of UnrealED, you should not only be able to create new maps, but make new single player campaigns as well as add new models, basicly you should be able to change everything.
Raingod is offline   you may:
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #78
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Just remember this isn't a chat room (we have one at irc.gamesurge.net if you want to use it). Try to contribute something if you have to keep posting. That's what we mean by "spamming."

Endless "me too" posts and sentence fragments/smilies/one word replies, or expecting people to reply within minutes. It's just annoying.

Thanks!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #79
Raingod
Lurker

Just tried to open some of the files with UnrealED but it doesnt work, just gives you error and then it crashes. So i guess RC will be using a different version of UnrealED.
Raingod is offline   you may:
Old 03-06-2005, 01:20 AM   #80
Oidar
Rookie

Just slightly modified to suit game specific aspects. Kind of like GtKRadiant, different variations with different features for different games. Its the same with the splinter Cell and Prince of Persia games. Both are UT2k4(unreal2.5) engine games but are coded and designed using the the same engine(Americas Army is another example though it uses a slightly older version of the Unreal Engine(2.0). Simply cause a game is made using a certain game engine doesn't mean it will work exactly like other games built on that engine or even the original game built on that engine. Even with previous tools released for UE2.5 I wouldn't expect them to work with RC. I do hope the mods made for this game take full advantage of what the engine is able to pull off. Troopersawn of Destiny is a great example of what you can do with the unreal2.5 engine and a starwars theme. Huge maps, Vehicles, Excellent player models and weapons.
Oidar is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > RepublicCommando.Net > General Discussion > Design Schematics > Stormtrooper Mod