lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who do you prefer as a sith?
Count Dooku ( Darth Tyranus) EPII, III 42 51.22%
Darth Maul EP1 40 48.78%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Who's a better sith?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #41
DonEmperor
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
He did actually.

Or something like that.
Oh I see. He did say that. I forgot that he had a converstation with his master. But he is still a silent one . In most of the time silence makes a person cool!
DonEmperor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #42
Revan Solo
Banned

Maul is very silent. I remember when he died, he didn't say anything, he didn't even cry!
Revan Solo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 PM   #43
idle
Rookie

After much deliberation I picked Darth Maul. Although his story was not fleshed out at all during the movie I can imagine it to be a very interesting one if it is ever told. It would be a perfect opportunity to explain this whole Sith thing as well.

Dooku is kick arse but in the end his storyline isn't the most inventive, I don't see why people are so impressed with it. It's the most logical situation to come up with.
idle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 AM   #44
Darth Jessaya
Lurker

Re: Who's a better sith?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zerosaber
Who's a better sith apprentice other than Vader. Dooku or Maul?
dooku is one of the strongest jedi of his time. he is equaly strong as yoda and mace windu

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. . .and suffering leads to me, muahahaha. . .
Darth Jessaya is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 03:56 AM   #45
Darth Jessaya
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Revan Solo
I mean: Dooku looks too harmless! But look at Darth Maul! That is a sith!
well, if you mean those tatoos, not all sith have mauls tatoos. . .

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. . .and suffering leads to me, muahahaha. . .
Darth Jessaya is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 08:08 AM   #46
Samurai DD

I voted Maul cause he has all sith tattos and things, is silent, uses double bladed red saber, and Zabraks rule!!! He also has a cool background story, theres a book about him and some of it in the New Essential Guide to Characters. Dooku is arrogant, however he is very powerful indeed, too.

And yes, the Sith were a monstrous species in the unkknown regions and knew about the force before a handful of fallen jedi arrived, they just didnt know aboutthe rest of the galaxy and the republic. They also used dark side magic to live longer among other strange things. When the fallen jedi arrived, they made them slaves and stole their secrets to themselves. They even bred together! The Sith and the Lords of the Sith becames very powerful and made their empire in the unknown regions. After some millenia they attacked the republic on what is known as the Sith Wars, Exar Kun, etc.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #47
Soromonu

voted for Tyranus

You wear the trappings of the Sith, you fight like the Sith, but this can be imitated, however. You lack a vital quality found in all Sith. Sith have no fear, and I sense much fear in you!

This isn't the link you are looking for...
Soromonu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #48
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally posted by Zerosaber
Revan Solo I'm sorry ou are right. The sith were originally a species.
Any written proof?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2004, 04:54 AM   #49
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Any written proof?
www.starwars.com

it's been talked about many, many times.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #50
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Post Personally...

I think that Maul would be considered a better sith. Just because Dooku lived, doesn't mean he's better. And the only reason he almost killed Anakin was because Anakin was a pushover as a Jedi. Darth Maul had to face 2 extremely good Jedi, while Dooku only faced 1 really good Jedi. Also Maul actually could kill one of the better masters even though he was an apprentice. So overall, Maul was better!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #51
Furball
Rookie

dooku no doubt
Furball is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #52
Soromonu

Re: Personally...

Quote:
Originally posted by legowar
Darth Maul had to face 2 extremely good Jedi, while Dooku only faced 1 really good Jedi. Also Maul actually could kill one of the better masters even though he was an apprentice. So overall, Maul was better!

Obi-wan killed Maul..but could not defeat Dooku on his own and would have died if Anakin were not there

so between Obi and Yoda that makes (2) powerful Jedi that he took on and survived.

You wear the trappings of the Sith, you fight like the Sith, but this can be imitated, however. You lack a vital quality found in all Sith. Sith have no fear, and I sense much fear in you!

This isn't the link you are looking for...
Soromonu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #53
Darth Straker
Forumite

Favorite Sith : Darth Sidious
Favorite Apprentice : Maul

Death Comes To He Who Crosses Me

Download my Sith Armada Mod for KOTOR I:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/5551

Get my other Mods at:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/u/3626/
Darth Straker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2005, 08:20 AM   #54
Card
Lurker

I have voted on Darth Maul, i have always liked him, he has trained with his Doublephase lightsaber to perfection.

I am in all places at all times and in no places at no time.
When you think you have found me - You have not.
When you believe you understand me - You do not.
When you think you have bested me - You have already lost.
Behold the might of deception! -Code of Illusion
Card is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #55
McCusto
Veteran

Now I think I know why Palptine looks soooo hideous. . .

McCusto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #56
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Wait, Dooku (Tyrannus) doesn't count as a sith because he wasn't "natural born" as a sith?

Nonesense. If that's true, then we can't talk about Anakin/Vader either, since he wasn't a "natural born sith" either!

The only "pure Sith" we've ever seen according to the movies were Maul and Sideous/Palpatine.

And if you want to get technical the original sith (according to the TPM novelisation, which would include the famous Darth Bane) were not naturally born Sith either, but renegade ("Dark") Jedi!

Sure we had "natural born sith" from that point on.

The whole thing about the "lost 20" must not count the Jedi who left the Order to become Sith 2,000 years before TPM though. That would mean that less than 20 individuals (according to the novelisation of AOTC Dooku is among one of those 20) threatened the galaxy and started a 1,000 year war with the Jedi Order. Yeah right!

The whole "Sith are a species" thing is only C-Level canon, also. It doesn't gel with the G-Level TPM novelisation. One possible retcon I've heard is that the 2,000 year old Sith Order from the TPM novelisation was just a "revival" of more ancient teachings that originally came from the EU explanation of the Sith (the red skinned aliens who were conquered by Dark Jedi a million years ago or whatever), thus salvaging part of the stuff written before the prequels.

To me, the title "Tales of the Jedi" even implies that these stories are more legend than fact (think Tales of King Arthur and his Knights). Who cares if they got a few details wrong?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #57
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up Darth Hideous! Oops, that's Sideous!

Quote:
Originally posted by legowar
I think that Maul would be considered a better sith. Just because Dooku lived, doesn't mean he's better. And the only reason he almost killed Anakin was because Anakin was a pushover as a Jedi. Darth Maul had to face 2 extremely good Jedi, while Dooku only faced 1 really good Jedi. Also Maul actually could kill one of the better masters even though he was an apprentice. So overall, Maul was better!

This doesn't quite make sense. Maul faced "two really good Jedi"? One of those "really good Jedi" was Obi-Wan.

Dooku fought Obi-Wan as well if you remember. Who was the "1 really good Jedi" he fought? I assume you meant Yoda. Dooku fought Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan, he just didn't fight two Jedi at the exact same time like Maul did for awhile.

Also, Dooku had to escape the fight because he couldn't beat Yoda. He was surely getting tired after having fought his third Jedi in a row. Maul got killed by a Padawan.

If Obi-Wan was a "good Jedi" when he was a Padawan, what does that make him when he's a Knight?

We'd have to suspend disbelief anyway, because Dooku couldn't kill Yoda or Obi-Wan since they are still alive 20+ years later in the OT. And we could argue he didn't kill Anakin because Palpatine had plans for him (he could only teach him a lesson). Dooku was about to kill Obi-Wan until Anakin got in the way.

Anyway, just pointing out what I saw as a flaw in your reasoning. I'm not saying that Dooku would beat Maul necessarily (though I'd put my money on Dooku winning if it came down to them at the levels we see them in the movies), but you get the idea.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 AM   #58
scout_zero
Rookie

Dooku survived for two episodes.
If you don't want episode III spoiled, then don't read the following:

spoiler:

According to the comic, Dooku dies in ep III

Edit: Learn to use the spoiler tag next time, it's much better. Scrolling down doesn't help because in a long thread people will have to scroll past it anyway.

Last edited by Kurgan; 04-21-2005 at 04:59 AM.
scout_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #59
Bastila
Forumite

I really liked darth maul, but he was lacking something, so i think Dooku was better.

Bastila is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #60
BanthaGirl
Lurker

I honestly cannot wait to see Palpatine in ROTS.....love the placements in the earlier films, but am going to really enjoy his full changing....to me his is the best apprentice
BanthaGirl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #61
Darth_Monkey11
Rookie

Ohhh...come on!
why count douku,
he sucks,
darth maul,
best sith!

Your Sig is too Big! Reduce to 80kb per image!
Darth_Monkey11 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #62
Leviathan

But Tyranus was more influential than Maul...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #63
idle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
But Tyranus was more influential than Maul...
That probably had something to do with him living a good few years more than him. It's funny how it could be construed that the entire Star Wars saga is dedicated to Darth Sidious attempting to find a replacement for Darth Maul.

Darth Maul seems bred for the Sith apprentice role, only one mistake against one of the greatest Jedi of all time (Padawan or not) had him cut down. In an alternate SW universe, far, far away Darth Maul rules the galaxy. <3

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2005, 04:11 AM   #64
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
I would have to go with Dooku/Tyrannus over Maul... Maul had great moves and he wielded the cool saberstaff, but seriously Dooku's mastery of the Force and his own unique saber skills would put him ahead in a fight.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #65
Kurgan
Headhunter

If you want to get technical, Vader was the last of the Sith.

And as for that EU stuff about the origin of the Sith, I say forget it. The first "Sith" were fallen Jedi Knights. If you mean "pure Sith" (who were never Jedi) then Palpatine would be the last of those. We see exactly four Sith in the canon films. Two were former Jedi, two were never Jedi.

I agree that Dooku would win, all else being equal. Maul may have been a showy fighter, but Dooku's powers seem far beyond his, as demonstrated.

As for who was the "Better apprentice" I guess it depends on what you mean by that. Both men were sent to their deaths by their Master. Both died at the hands of Jedi. We see Dooku scheming against his master (or was it just an act?), and he seemed more of the intelligent type, rather than just a warrior out for "revenge." Dooku seems mostly after power, so he's more like Palpatine in that regard. Though Palpatine did have some desire for revenge, he too seems to be primarily going for the power angle.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #66
El Sitherino
The Original.

Ryozan, I've removed your post. Try that horsecrap again and it'll be a tempban.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #67
Ryozan
Rookie

Sorry.
I was just making a joke.

Ryozan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #68
Keiko
Forumite

Dooku, he is alot faster than maul was with a lightsaber, he was a Sith Lord, and he has force lightning.

Maul was only a sith apprentice, and wasnt all that fast, he could just take two jedi at once, dooku would have destroyed him easily
Keiko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #69
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I liked Maul a lot better. He was way cooler, he had a host of equipment and a huge double-bladed saber. Dooku, or "Dooky" as I affectionately call him , was kind of an "mad idiot bad guy", to me at least. I am not saying he wasn't a good character, I thought that he was well acted and was a great character; he certaintely was more in the story and had a lot more to say than Maul, but still, Maul is my favorite.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #70
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I personally like Darth Maul more, but Count Dooku is smarter and more skilled. So, it say Count Dooku.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #71
MagnaGuard
Rookie

Count Dooku because he beat Anakin and Obi-Wan in their first duel single handidly and was only beaten in the second you see because Anakin grabbed the lower hilt of Dooku's lightsaber.
MagnaGuard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #72
Kurgan
Headhunter

He what? Now I'm going to have to watch that frame by frame again... I thought he just moved his saber in a clever manner...

Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #73
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
Personally I believe that it is Darth Maul. Not just because its his lightsaber, but he moves very fast, and is very quick. If you look at when he is fighting Obi-Wan and Qui-gon, he is moving very swiftly. It also takes alot to weild a double bladed lightsaber. Dooku, is just powerful, slow, and weak and uses the force to do things unlike Maul, who uses his skill.

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #74
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^Another good point. Did you notice that Maul never once used "force powers" as we think of them, to attack Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan? Dooku's greatest asset was his ability to cast force lightning (and maybe that he knew Makashi), but still he was beaten.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #75
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Actually, I do recall Darth Maul using force push. I think Darth Maul force pushed Obi-Wan over the edge. Though, maybe he kicked him over. Can't remember, and just watched it. Though I may be wrong.

Count Dooku though beat Obi-Wan and Anakin, oh yeah and Yoda. He mainly used the force. Isn't that if you can master the force, you have a advantage over the enemy. And still Count Dooku had decent lightsaber skills.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #76
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQel-Droma
^Another good point. Did you notice that Maul never once used "force powers" as we think of them, to attack Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan? Dooku's greatest asset was his ability to cast force lightning (and maybe that he knew Makashi), but still he was beaten.
I think he used like two... I remember he pushed a dead droid into the wall because he was pissed off. Other than that, that's a pretty nice find.

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #77
JediConsularAD
Forumite

i voted maul cause of his lightsaber combat abilities, they were amazing in my opinion.

Sunrunner = Yalin Hawk - Spy
Sunrunner = Yarin Hawk -Entertainer

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?GamesMaster
http://Yalin.Hawk.youaremighty.com/
JediConsularAD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #78
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sooges
I think he used like two... I remember he pushed a dead droid into the wall because he was pissed off.
... He did it to open the doors.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #79
codj
Rookie

I think Darth Maul was better because he actually killed somebody. Dooku never did ( however he did take off Anakin's arm and cut Obi-Wan a little, but that isn't much).

codj is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #80
Kurgan
Headhunter

Yeah, Maul used Throw and Push in that fight. He clearly knows how to use the Force, and doesn't hold back from using it in combat. Dooku didn't just throw lightning and block it, he also did leaps, force push, tore things off the architecture to throw at Yoda, and (like Yoda) used the Force to physically invigorate himself for athletic fighting.

He could levitate Anakin into a wall WHILE electricuting him, and in ROTS he chokes Obi-Wan while lifting him, tosses him into a rail and then smashes a piece of the walkway down onto his fallen foe. Pretty spiffy with his Force combos, I must say!

Also we presume he made those troops who flew in with Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC disappear somehow...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Who's a better sith?