lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Graphics card upgrade advice
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-21-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
richo
Rookie

Graphics card upgrade advice

Hi
I understand there is probably many long time gamers on this board so I thought I would ask you an upgrading question. I haven't been playing games on my pc very long but I am really getting into this game and want to play it with a better system.

My current spec is this

Athlon XP 2000+
768 DDR 2100
64Meg GeForce 4 Ti4200
Asus A7V600-X Socket A motherboard

What do you think I should upgrade first? I thought my grapics card and I have about £150 to spend on one. Which graphics card would you go for? I have been looking at both the 128 Meg ATI Radeon 9800 pro and the Nvidia 6600GT, but I don't know which is best.

Also what else would give me a good performance gain for the money? Would I see a big difference if I installed 1024Meg of DDR 400 memory instead of the 266 I have?

I hope somebody can help me
Thanks in advance

Richo
richo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 AM   #2
saberhagen

I'd say go for a new graphics card. This game doesn't seem to be very processor or memory intensive. It worked fine on my old setup of Athlon Thunderbird 1.4, KT266 chipset, 512MB of 266 DDR, but I've just upgraded to an Athlon 64 so I can play Dawn of War. My graphics card is a 256MB Radeon 9600 non-pro, and that gives me all the highest setttings on SWBF apart from anti-aliasing.
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
madmax
Lurker

I defiantly agree! Upgrade you graphics card. I was running one that didnít support the game. I got the ATI radeon 9250pro with 256mg. Works great!
madmax is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > Technical Help > Graphics card upgrade advice