lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: DS/LS a little more on how your choices will influence gameplay
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
Darth333
Administraterror

DS/LS a little more on how your choices will influence gameplay

Another designer's rambling by Chris Avellone:

my personal ramblings

Quote:
/ Begin PC-Causality Events

In K2, we made an attempt to make some events more PC reactive-dependent. I'm not sure exactly if those last three words belong crushed together like that, but hopefully they should give you a sense of what I mean.

These aren't everywhere in the game, but we tried to have events triggered on the player's dark side and light side gains, no matter where the player is in the galaxy - when the player hits a certain amount of light side and dark side points, these events will advance the plot (or reinforce it).

We weren't able to do this as much as we'd like (they're hard to pull off and usually have to be hard-coded Hardcoded? Oh noes! ), but we have some key events that are triggered by the player's actions rather than having them triggered off of some polygon you step onto in the game world.

The intention with this was that we thought it would make the PC feel more special if it was more obvious that things were occuring, not because you hit a linear trigger, but because you were the one who set the fuse to the explosives through your actions or through a change in your personality.

/ End PC-Causality Events
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
GodVegeta1982
Rookie

Hhhmmmmmm, sounds interesting, everytime I hear more and more about this game it makes me want to play it more and more!
GodVegeta1982 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
I'm not liking this "Hard coded" buisiness. Still, Its just another small(ish) price to pay for a great game.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #4
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Well if they are main story events that are hard coded then no worries, as long as we can do what we do with KOTOR, well I'd like to be able to get new models, I'll be happy!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainSkye
I'm not liking this "Hard coded" buisiness. Still, Its just another small(ish) price to pay for a great game.
I couldnt agree more.
starmark2k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
PoM

That game is gonna own!
PoM is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > DS/LS a little more on how your choices will influence gameplay