lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Fire Gone Out?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
Whoopknacker

Fire Gone Out?

I do like this game however Ive noticed that there are alot of empty servers out there. Now that doesnt mean people arent playing it. It just seems like it hasnt caught on as well with multiplayer as I wouldve thought. That is the primary reason I bought the game. Could it be because alot of other games came out? (IE Halo 2, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas etc) Bad word of mouth, or other factor. Popularity could gain with the release of EPIII.

Do you feel the game is on the up or losing out?

Thank you sir may I have another
Whoopknacker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
Barcrest
Rookie

IMHO it's because the game is so unfinished. I have not played it for weeks now and i know this to be true of people i know who also brought it. No SDK has really hampered any decent mods and the game as it stands out of the box gets tired in 1 player mod very quickly. The online games were buggy at the start and i think people have just given up and moved onto the games you mentioned.

Sad but that seems to be the way it is.

Maybe if it had the maps that the majority feel are missing, unlockables for 1 player and more playble factions the missing SDK wouldn't have been such a big deal but as it stands it is.

Barcrest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The underestimate the damage the browser problems caused...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

Could be - but I have to confess that I play this game all the time Waaaaaaay more than I ever played Jedi Outcast / Academy, as I think this game is much more fun than those (JK:MotS was still better than all these). In any event, the browser problem was a huge blunder, but I have to say, again, that I really like this game. I wish more people would give it a shot.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...

Last edited by Vagabond; 12-21-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Tyler_Durden

I have all but stopped playing as I'm logging in time with other games right now such as Half Life, which by the way has the GREATEST f'n graphics in a game i've ever seen. They really need someone to do a jedi rpg with that engine, seriously. Plus i've been playing Vampire the masquerade which is essentially what the jedi rpg's gameply should be but they need to flesh out the combat a little. However, when BF's SDK or mod tools come out i will be back on this game full time as i've said in another thread, as will hopefully many others.
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Whoopknacker

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
They really need someone to do a jedi rpg with that engine, seriously.
Check out jeditime.com, it is a total conversion with both the FarCry and Half Life 2 engine. Plus alot of cool features. Bad side is that it wont be out for awhile.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
But the good side is that the mod has got very good chances of seeing daylight. Something we can't say about JO/JA TC's (except Dark Forces, respect).

Game is unfinished, and LEC stopped hyping it up... I doubt we're in for another treat after Jabba's Palace. Nothing worthwile to report as news either (The demo is gone from site! PS2 patch *MAAAAY* come soon!).

SWBF needs more content

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Tyler_Durden

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoopknacker
Check out jeditime.com, it is a total conversion with both the FarCry and Half Life 2 engine. Plus alot of cool features. Bad side is that it wont be out for awhile.
There's nothing at this URL.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Jaden Malip

It's also just an unlucky time of release. With GTA and Half Life etc, these games will get ignored. And it's harsh, cos Battlefront is a pretty cool game.

I heard when you're a Super Mod, you get to kill people instead of banning them.
Jaden Malip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
Stingray
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
There's nothing at this URL.
I was in a good mood and decided to help the fellow he must be meaning www.jeditimeline.com

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alegis
SWBF needs more content
Agreed! More is good when it comes to games like this.

SWBF is a fantastic game. At least from the sp and co-op LAN game side it is, as I cannot go online with my satellite internet.

There is ALOT on the market that is competing with this game, as this fall has been a wonderful time to be a gamer with all these great games!

I still fit SWBF into my schedule, and honestly its been a fav pick at the last several LAN parties I've been in. The bots in this game are really sweet!

But I agree. Pandemic needs to release more content in a steady fashion to continue to promote this game, in the form of maps, weapons, whatever. It will only promote the life and sales of SWBF.

EPIII movie will definitely boost sales on *everything* Star Wars. I predict the expansion pack for SWBF will arrive about that time.

And yes, lets be realistic, we all know an expansion pack is bound to happen for this game. And I'll be right there in line to get my copy! :P
MasterChiefRulZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
Evil Dark Jedi
The Dark Side pwns!

Quote:

SWBF needs more content
That is the best line I have ever heard. Cause it is so true.

Sig encountering technical difficulties...
Evil Dark Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 AM   #13
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterChiefRulZ
And yes, lets be realistic, we all know an expansion pack is bound to happen for this game. And I'll be right there in line to get my copy! :P
It would be a great idea...if it was free. SWBF already has lesser content and more big bugs than other games ATM. If they added more it should boost sales of swbf. An expansion pack on the other hand might sell a few copies, but people like me who think SWBF needs more won't buy it. Heck, we won't even trust games from Pandemic anymore. Expansion packs also come out a year orso afterwards.

"The mod community will fix it, the expansion packs will fix it"... Well until there is no proper mod support the community can shoot ducks. And we payed already, don't forget that.

I'm not angry or really dissapointed at SWBF, it just needs the proper fixing atm. No cap, better server administration and mod support, tyvm.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 AM   #14
Whoopknacker

Thanks for your help Stingray. Im not saying the community has given up on the game. I think the game will get better with time. As long as they keep the community in mind. So far I feel they have.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

Quote:

I'm not angry or really dissapointed at SWBF, it just needs the proper fixing atm. No cap, better server administration and mod support, tyvm.
All I play is offline so I haven't seen that many bugs, personally. Except for the un-equal factions with bots in Jabba's palace, and sometimes in other maps, but HEAVILY in Jabba's palace.

Sorry if I sounded like I said it should be an expansion to fix the bugs, that far from what I meant.

The bugs *should* be addressed asap to help the game, and free content as well just like so many other game developers.

I know EA isn't the best example in the world, but with BF1942 they added multiple maps and weapons, bug fixes etc via free patches. They also had the first expansion ready within 6 months, I think.

I would be ready to lay down a few bucks for a well built quality expansion. As long as it was well worth it. As far as sp goes, this game is pretty cool.

I do hope they get the online issues resolved, and get mod support rolling (a BIG necessity). Bugs and neglect to the community surely can't help sales and consumer opinion. :\
Old 12-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
Stingray
Rookie

Quote:
Speak for yourself. I don't think there will be an expansion. I cannot really back my opinion up, but in any case it's wrong to say that you know what other people know.

Belly-button lasers! I've seen them!
Stingray is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Syzerian
Rookie

Quote:
Heck, we won't even trust games from Pandemic anymore.
Its not Pandemics fault. They made an excelent game its just that they lacked the time to finish it as LA wanted them to release it with the OT DVD.

Syzerian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #18
Evil Dark Jedi
The Dark Side pwns!

Quote:
Originally posted by Syzerian
Its not Pandemics fault. They made an excelent game its just that they lacked the time to finish it as LA wanted them to release it with the OT DVD.
That is true. They rushed it to make it out with the OT DVD.

Sig encountering technical difficulties...
Evil Dark Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 05:21 AM   #19
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

Its a hypothetical statement

Quote:
Originally posted by Stingray
Speak for yourself. I don't think there will be an expansion. I cannot really back my opinion up, but in any case it's wrong to say that you know what other people know.
I'm not claiming to actually *know* there will be an expansion..

I'm just stating its almost inevitable. Simply because the Star Wars Battlefront game has this one terribly huge omission in covering all Star Wars battles...

And thats the actual battles that took place in the Stars.

I think this was intentionally left for an expansion. Most SW based games has expansions attached to them anyway, at least the successful ones.

It just seems so blaring likely. Alot could be done with just the *Star* battles, and it would be extremely cool to be able to re-enact those battles as well.

But hey, I'm all for getting them for free as well. It will take some serious coding to be able to get all that in order though. From fighters (easy enough, already ingame) to Capital Cruisers (might be a problem) and how it would all be done.

But suffice to say, whether it be in an expansion, free official download, or the mod community, its only a matter of time. I just want such battles to be done right.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #20
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Syzerian
Doing like EA is a bad idea

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #21
richcz3

Competition with HL-2 is real.
I have been working on two HL2:MP maps for the past week. The SDK and tools are exceptional.
I haven't fired up SW:BF for three weeks and interest in LANs has been nill. As stated already, content is king and SW:BF needs it to get interest with all the solid titles out. I just hope their tools have some documentation or solid examples.

richcz3
richcz3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #22
Hexerei
Rookie

all i know is if ever i get my hands on an SDK for BF i will make the most fire pod racing mod to grace the universe

Imperials Rule & Droids Drool!!
Hexerei is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #23
sup3rsnail
Rookie

At this rate, I'm wondering whether or not I should want this game for Christmas...
I just checked ASE and it seems all the servers populated with decent pings, But how long will that last?
sup3rsnail is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 06:43 AM   #24
micks75au
Rookie

I've stated in the past my dissapointments with this game. Ok we got v.11 not so long ago. But Im not confident we will see much more from these folks once the mod tools come out.
Which is a shame as this game has a lot of untapped potential.

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.
This one....a long time have I watched. Never his mind on where he was. Hmmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things.

You are reckless!
micks75au is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #25
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

hoping for good mod tools

If Pandemic doesn't continue to support the game (which would be a shame, as its a gold mine) then the community will surely follow through.

Mod makers have already been doing pretty well considering what they have to work with, and lots of great ideas are floating around. Why, mod makers are evening crafting their *own* tools even as I type this...

If that isn't a sign of community interest, I don't know what is.

All this game needs is a strong mod community, and proper tools, to push the envelope to new heights. Now is not the time to throw in the towel, now is when the potential of this game will just be picking up momentum.

Once the modders really get swinging, this game will really shine. Just like BF1942 did once it finally got started.

And EA never gave any tools till almost a year after BF1942's release, while Pandemic is already delivering.

I can't wait to try out some new maps, new armies, new options, ahhh the possibilities.

SWBF modded may be the best StarWars game yet. :P
Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 PM   #26
Tyler_Durden

Well guys, it has been confirmed, that's right CONFIRMED that tools will be released sometime soon. I believe Pandemic is aiming to release the tools within the next few weeks, sometime before the holidays from what i read in another thread. Check out this thread:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.j...18088&tstart=0

Hopefully after the tools are released the community will pick up substantially. I have been occupying myself with half life and vampire but i can't wait to get cracking at these maps i have in my head. Plus the fact that i aim to make them larger areas will make for some interesting gameplay as well as a lot more room for some good dogfighting, that is, if we have total control in terms of editing height and width of maps.

Other than that, i'm pretty confident that we will see some ground breaking maps the likes of which haven't been realized with the retail game.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:41 AM   #27
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Cool Guy

True, which is why we reported that very news here

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 AM   #28
Vezner

I quit playing it online because of the bad lag. I can play Halo 2 with no lag at all but Battlefront is next to unplayable. Hopefully the patch coming out in January will fix the problem.

In the meantime, I will go back to playing KOTOR 2. Which is an awesome game, BTW.

-- I support George W. Bush and the USA.
-- I support the troops that are fighting and dying for our Freedom!
-- Free speech refers to political and religious rights...
NOT THE RIGHT TO BE PROFANE IN PUBLIC!
-- Christians have rights of expression too.
-- Star Wars Fan since 1979.

http://dwp.bigplanet.com/vezner1

Do you think EA is crap because they buy your favorite developer and then destroy it (ie Westwood and Origin)? Then click on this link and show your support for those who are against EA:http://gamersagainsteagames.com/
Vezner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 AM   #29
Tyler_Durden

Quote:
Originally posted by Vagabond
True, which is why we reported that very news here
Seems a few people missed that thread so i thought i'd give them a direct link straight from the source.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #30
blushing

i really wanted this game to succeed cos i love star wars and i think the core of the game is solid as a rock with massive potential. The problem is they released the game in a state where it was near impossible to play online, this made most people give up on the game, even if they fix all the issues with patches its doubtful many people will come back. The damage is done.

Even worse the game seems to be near dead with hardly any servers most of which are empty. This will no doubt put modders off making anything worthwhile espcially seeing as hl2 is out and no doubt extremely popular. Whats the point to spend months slaving over a mod/map for a game that hardly anyone plays.

The game sold alot of copies when it first came out but most people seem to have abandoned it due to the various server bugs and lag problems. The only way i can imagine of anything being salvaged from this mess is an awesom expansion pack to get all the early adopters back into the game.

im sorry to be negative but i had such high hopes for this game. i hope they can release an expansion to re-ignite poeples enthusiam otherwise i guess i will have wait and see what republic commando is gonna be like
blushing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #31
Tyler_Durden

Don't worry, my friend's down there....... he'll have that shield down on time.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:02 AM   #32
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
To tell you the truth I would really dislike an expansion at the moment. First, not a lot of players are still online so basically, you'll hit a low market and second, if the expansion effectively "completes" the original game, it'll just be them admitting they rushed a game and now are trying to milk money on our back.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #33
JDKnite188

Quote:
Originally posted by blushing
i really wanted this game to succeed cos i love star wars and i think the core of the game is solid as a rock with massive potential. The problem is they released the game in a state where it was near impossible to play online, this made most people give up on the game, even if they fix all the issues with patches its doubtful many people will come back. The damage is done.

Even worse the game seems to be near dead with hardly any servers most of which are empty. This will no doubt put modders off making anything worthwhile espcially seeing as hl2 is out and no doubt extremely popular. Whats the point to spend months slaving over a mod/map for a game that hardly anyone plays.

The game sold alot of copies when it first came out but most people seem to have abandoned it due to the various server bugs and lag problems. The only way i can imagine of anything being salvaged from this mess is an awesom expansion pack to get all the early adopters back into the game.

im sorry to be negative but i had such high hopes for this game. i hope they can release an expansion to re-ignite poeples enthusiam otherwise i guess i will have wait and see what republic commando is gonna be like
I agree with you on many of the things. The game could have been in a lot better shape if they had an extra month or two to just work out all the bugs and inconveniences.
JDKnite188 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #34
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

Online calamity, offline bliss

My internet is terrible for gaming, so all I play is offline either solo or in Lan games.

And honestly I haven't had a bit of trouble. Except with the Jabba's palace map having woefully unequal sides.

This game rocks in offline land. Its a shame so many hangups for the online portion of the game. :\
Old 12-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #35
WaxSlinger
Lurker

Re: Online calamity, offline bliss

Quote:

This game rocks in offline land. Its a shame so many hangups for the online portion of the game. :\
And online play was supposed to be the big attraction of this game. Thus the irony.

What could have been ended up being
WaxSlinger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #36
Whoopknacker

Yes online play is the way to go. I do like that there is COOP and the AI is challenging. You cant replace the feeling of beating a live opponent and not just the computer.

Nice analogy with the Death Star.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #37
MasterChiefRulZ
Rookie

There is still hope though for online mp.

Pandemic continues to support all platforms, even to the extent of the coming mod/map tools.

Any game publisher wants their game to succeed, so another patch is only a wait away (that is if mp is still messy after the 1.11 patch, I have no clue since I can't play online anyway). How long the wait stands to reason, hopefully not too long.

The mods will really bring some life into this thing. I can't wait for the new maps too. I want to make some maps of my own for my Lan parties.

And yes, I feel EP III will promote all Star Wars games. As will the "Clone Wars" video and new tv mini-series, and other SW titles like "Republic Commando" and "EPIII the game".

Not to mention new content in the form of mods. I wanna see the Republic commando class in SWBF. :P I have the PC SWBF btw.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #38
Wilhuf

I think the fire is still burning dimly for SWBF (54 PC players online as I post this note). Unknown number of console players.

I think an expansion that includes a bounty hunter class with some sorts of trap-like gadgets and a jet pack might add a little more interest.

In any case, I agree that as others have said earlier, SWBF is the best LEC multiplayer Star Wars game since MotS.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Fire Gone Out?