lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Empire at War
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #41
DarthMaulUK

I found this snippet

'This new PC game is set two years before ANH with a certain amount of cross over from Episode 3. Screen shots look superb. It appears to include ground battles set in dessert and greenland areas with attacking AT-AT's and a new Imperial ground based vehicle called "TIE Crawlers" which I've not seen before (cross between a tank and a TIE Fighter). The action also takes place in space with rebel fleets taking on Star Destroyers (think of the game Homeworld). Unsure when the game will be released as it is in the early phases of development. '

Gives us an insight. Once every one returns to normal, I will be speaking to Activision, LA and of course PC ZONE!(god help me)

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #42
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

You'd better hope they don't read here then

What does Activision have to do with this?

Petroglyph would be the one to ask?

The TIE Crawler wasn't really that widely produced since it wasn't really a great tank it was okay good really but nothing on on AT-AT of course.

Looks like me and the others who thought Ground and Space were gonna be in it were right.

By ep 3 Crossover does this mean there'll be Republic and Confederacy in as well or do you think they'll be in an X-Pack?

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 AM   #43
DarthMaulUK

Activision will be publishing the game in the UK and rest of Europe

DMUK
Old 01-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #44
DK_Viceroy

That's a suprise I thought Activision went under?

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Old 01-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #45
DarthMaulUK

That was acclaim

DMUK
Old 01-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #46
DK_Viceroy

Well the space element should be good sinec Activision was Involved with the Star Trek Armada series.

DM you got any info as to whther the CIS and Republic will be in?

We Needs it.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #47
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Well I'll just say it. Emotionless Droids and Clone Troopers make for a battle people can't relate too. Whenever the Empire faced the Rebels, they showed emotions which neither Clones nor Droids can.

In LotR, we have Soldiers who have fear in their eyes, courage in their veins, the will to fight in their heart. The viewer can relate to them, they can feel what the soldiers feel.

With 100% CGI, you have a hard time to relate, worst of all, the soldiers fighting have no emotions whatsoever. Droids don't fear, droids don't have courage, neither do Clone trooper grunts.

With the OT, you have the Rebels who show fear and courage on the field of battle. You see them die, screaming before their vehicle goes into flames or before they get blown up by an AT-AT. You could feel bad for these guys because they're a small bunch of freedom fighters.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #48
FroZticles
Veteran

If it is set 2 years before ANH there won't be a Republic or CIS.

The droids sometimes show a little personality when the Acklay was coming towards Obi-Wan and those 2 droids backed off and were scared of it.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs
Battle for Middle-Earth 2

Let the battle begin.....

FroZticles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #49
OverlordAngelus

It's been awhile since I posted.

Anyway, the screenshots aren't showing up, where they removed?
OverlordAngelus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #50
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

This still does not compute, for a few reasons.

1. Having only two sides reduces re-play value

2. The main focus of SW at the moment is the PT. To exclude them seems very odd

3. The Clone Wars are a huge part of the SW universe, again it does not make sense to exclude them

4. Leaving out the Republic and CIS reduces the number of people who will buy the game, reducing profit

Basically, if this game is only including the Rebels and Imperials, I simply won't buy it, and I know there are other SW fans out there who feel the same way. I am way, way more interested in the Republic and CIS than the Rebels and Empire, but until they would be ready to include all four civs, they won't be getting my money.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #51
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Hmm there must be few who feel that way...KOTOR had nothing from neither the PT nor the OT...best seller.

Jedi Outcast featured nothing from the PT...best seller.

Jedi Academy featured nothing from the PT...best seller.

>_>

Great great monetary loss...

Old 01-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #52
FroZticles
Veteran

They really have not giving PT the chance to shine besides BFME and GBG which they had to share with OT except the odd couple bounty hunter and clone wars. I would love a SW MMORPG set in the clone wars since the OT one was a huge flop thanks to SOE.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #53
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
It will only work if no one has the ability to become a Jedi or everyone's a Jedi. Other then that...never will a Star Wars MMORPG work. Pfff...humans.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #54
FroZticles
Veteran

Giving everyone a Jedi solves nothing a galaxy full of nothing but Jedi how boring its just as bad as SOE "keep Jedi rare but tell everyone how to get it". The only solution would be no player can be a Jedi or make them extremely hard to get like 1 in 100 players. Dont give it to SOE ever!!! They care more about money then there customers.

It was not just the Jedi problem also the lack of high content was bad and everyone could solo almost anything in the game. Not to mention the 1 character per server thing which drove hordes of people away quickly.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 01-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #55
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

luke - but the problem there with the games you listed is the KotOR had neither the OT or PT, although it connects with both; while JO and JA featured Jedi which are always popular, and had to be set in either the PT or OT, the game could be not believable while spanning both.

This new RTS however is different. The forces involved could very easily add in the Republic and CIS and give a great deal of more re-play, more multiplayer options, 'what if' battles like the Republic vs Empire, and create a connection to RotS, which would be smart considering they will be released in the same year.

As I said though, it seems like a cop-out to be only doing the OT, and i'm sure there are other SW fans out there who are more interested in the PT than the OT. Regardless, if this game only features the OT, I will not buy it. Hopefully though, Activision, Lucasarts and Petroglyph will be smarter than that.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #56
Fishflesh
Veteran

here is a net screenschot of the magazine from the force.net

Fishflesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #57
DK_Viceroy

this might actually be the game now though or they might be reffering to a part of the game, or this could be a shameless ploy to make money and having an expansion pack which adds in PT.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #58
shadyshaun
Lurker

Im kinda new to all the star wars games but the movies are verry good especially the originals but im kind of confused, is this game a expansion pack for "Star war Galactic Battlegrounds" or a completely new game.
shadyshaun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #59
DarthMaulUK

This will be a totally new game. (welcome to our forums btw)

I firmly believe that 'Empire At War' WILL be the name of the new RTS. Why? Couple of reasons

1) The Empire will be at War after Episode III to take over the galaxy
2) Lucasarts have just purchased Empireatwar.com

DMUK
Old 01-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #60
DK_Viceroy

but why no PT sides?

Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #61
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Windu
while JO and JA featured Jedi which are always popular, and had to be set in either the PT or OT, the game could be not believable while spanning both.

The point is? They didn't lose any money.

Remember here that they would need more money to code in new unique civs with their own unique features. The monetary loss might not be as great as you think.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Republic and CIS to be in, it's just that even if they're not in, doesn't mean LEC and Pletogryph are stupid in any way. They probably had a market analysis already and decided to go with Empire vs Rebels only.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #62
FroZticles
Veteran

I don't see how the Republic could be added in because the entire army is now Imperial. I hate that name, they could have used something with more kick.

Isn't the whole point of this about making money? You didn't think they would just be making them for our entertainment now did you.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 01-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #63
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

luke - you missed the point. They wouldn't have lost money because it had to set in one or the other, whereas this game could be set in both very easily.

As for other civs, GBG had 8, and most modern RTS' have at least 3. For example-
- C&C: RA2 Yuri's Revenge = 3
- C&C: Generals = 3
- Empires: Dawn of the Modern World = 7
- SW: GBG = 8
and others such as AoE, AoK, AoM, RoN etc all had more than four, so I fail to see why Petroglyph and LA couldn't or wouldn't make four.

FroZ - exactly, and they would make more money by having more variety.

DMUK - if you are right, I will be extremely dissapointed, not only because the game will be limited but also because of the shoddy title. Also, I just tried empireatwar.com and it doesn't exist.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #64
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Look, I'm not saying they couldn't make some more money by adding a two more civs, I'm saying they still can and will make a large enough amount of money.

Besides, like I said, they made market studies and came up to this conclusion. It certainly must mean something. Though I agree we need more then 2 civs.

empireatwar.com doesn't exist yet. They bought the name meaning nobody can use it. They've saved it for later.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #65
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

I get what you're saying luke, I just don't like it.

I guess that most of all i'm just disappointed. After so long in waiting and getting even tiny bits of info, LA decides to ignore fans of the PT and create yet another sub-standard game.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-03-2005, 01:30 AM   #66
FroZticles
Veteran

I also hate the title but I don't care about how many sides there are as long as the game is good. I'm sure they will add more as time goes by.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #67
DarthMaulUK

Adding too many Civs does become boring. Star Wars was all about the Rebels v Empire until the new prequels came along.

The point here, is we finally have a chance to combine ground and space battles and it wouldnt surprise me if the technology tree starts from around Episode III upgrading to Episode IV (death star etc)

Can you imagine attacking the death star?! It will rock (fingers crossed)

Empireatwar.com has been purchased but there is no website yet. If you cast your mind back to Galactic Battlegrounds, it was announced in February and released in November

DMUK
Old 01-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #68
DK_Viceroy

I will also point out that westwood bought Tiberian Twilight but never used it,Lucasarts could be doing the same thing.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #69
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I believe it only costs 300$. For them it must be peanuts.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #70
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

DMUK - perhaps, but I fail to see how four civs could be more boring than two. Also, SW is about Anakin Skywalker, not the Rebellion, or the Empire, or the Republic, or the Confederacy. However, all four sides are as important as each other in the story of Anakin and they all combine to form SW, so really we will only be getting half a game.

FroZ - maybe, we'll have to see. Still, if they release the game with four civs, I will buy it. If it only has the Rebels and Empire, I will never buy it. If, though, they release it as Rebels' and Empire, then create an x-pac for the Republic and CIS, I would buy it, but only after it had come way down in price.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #71
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

I've been on vacation for a while and look what I missed!!! I'm back now!!
It seems that two civs will work fine. It's not a perfect pure RTS, but it can work. Here's why.

It appeals to the OT crowd which is of the appropriate age of most RTS players.
By developing the OT first, they can later create a PT game later cheaper because the engine is already made.
By limiting the Civ's they can concentrate on the graphics and gameplay.
Also by limiting the civ's, each civ can now have more unique units and characters.
With only two civ's balance is easy to achieve (to easy really and that is also a drawback).

Some questions I have: How customizable will it be? Multiplayer mode? With two civs will it be any fun to play?

Well, I'm going to reserve most of my other comments for the Empire at War forum I think.

Go big or go home.
Nairb Notneb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #72
DK_Viceroy

Though another thing must be taken into account if you only do two at a time, Balancing it with the PT sides which will take even more effort because you balanced them perfectly against each other that may not however work perfectly against the PT sides.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #73
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

Good point Viceroy. Bringing in other Civ's in an xpac later would be difficult, if that's what you mean. After reading more about it from DMUK's in the Empire at War Forums, I don't think an xpac from the PT's would work. I think that this is going to be a stand alone 3-D RTS that is mainly space combat supplemented with ground combat. The new forum is hopping now.

Go big or go home.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:29 AM   #74
saberhagen

I think they're moving away from the "what if" mix and match approach and going for a more purist approach to tie in with the films better. eg although Battlefront has 4 factions and combines both trilogies, you can't mix them up. You have to play in one period or the other.

You also have the problem that the Clone War wasn't a proper war: both sides were being manipulated by Sidious and neither was intended to win. They were just paving they way for his empire.
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #75
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

I agree that sticking to the trilogy sets makes more since in an RTS. It gives it a better sense of reality to it and creates a better story line. It also makes for a greater possibility to make other games in the future if the first is successful. It was a surprise to say the least, but a welcomed one. I think that it is a great idea and I am looking forward to it.

Go big or go home.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #76
pbguy1211
PBGuy1211 The White

when we getting screenies mauly?

PBGuy1211 Mods! All available here.
pbguy1211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #77
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...hreadid=142509

Old 01-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #78
DK_Viceroy

Ack! It's PB we missed you

Where were you?

Propably hiding under a rock from Vostok's Bombers

Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #79
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Well I've just caught up on the news of the new RTS... though I am yet to check out the new forums, I thought I'd post some opinions here first.

I have to say I agree with Windu in that not using the PT civs is an odd play. I won't go so far as to say I won't buy the game if it only includes the Empire and Rebellion, but I certainly will be waiting a while to hear some of your the community's reviews instead of rushing out and buying the game on the first day of release (as I did with SWGB).

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #80
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
They can concentrate on creating a good game with 2 well balance and well different civ.

There might be an x-pac for the Clone Wars era one day, if the full game sells well.

It's good to have you back old friend

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > Empire at War