lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I am altering Canon, pray I do not alter it further
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
I am altering Canon, pray I do not alter it further

http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-gro...-st-1497893812

Sounds like the Sith just hit the fan

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I've long said that rebooting the EU would be a good idea for revitalizing the franchise. Too much constraint would otherwise be placed on content creators. On the other hand, it seems that the father of the franchise himself often subverted that process, leading to chaos.

I've often said how little "official canon" matters in Star Wars and how irrelevant it has been so far (at least to me as a fan). Not as bad as some franchises (Highlander, Star Trek, to name two), but still.

When I watch the movies, I can easily imagine that Star Wars is either a stand alone movie, a single trilogy, or (with more difficulty) a six chapter saga. I imagine that difficulty will only increase when it's nine films! I wonder if without GL at the helm they'll keep modifying the OT or keep it frozen in it's 2011 incarnation? At the very least we ought to get an "ultimate edition" with all the various versions created over the years in high def.

When engaged in a piece of EU material, everything else tends to go away unless it's directly referenced as relevant to the story being told. It's all fanservice, so I'm not too worried either way.

Some people are going to be upset, I'm sure, but they have been getting smacked in the face over that type of deal for decades now.

I say, just like what you like, and don't lose any sleep over what someone considers "official" or "canon" even if they are named George Lucas or are his hand picked successor. We know how often he has changed his mind on stuff and altered the films accordingly. He himself doesn't seem to care much what is "canon" and keeps changing it, as your post title alluded to. At one point, fans might have taken such a thing as a bold move, but there's so much Star Wars material out there these days that few will be able to follow it all, much less care enough to try. It's becoming like those soap operas that go on and on for a generation.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 01-12-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Oh man this will be interesting.

I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. Guess will all find out eventually.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Ferrin13
Rookie

I think this is generally a good idea, but some things have to be kept. KOTOR, Hand of Thrawn, etc. If they want to get rid of Palpatine clones or some of the unworthy stuff, more power to them. But I don't want this to be a cheap way of clearing the whole slate for the new movies...

Last edited by Ferrin13; 03-15-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Ferrin13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > I am altering Canon, pray I do not alter it further