lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should the next RTS be space or ground based?
Space 2 14.29%
Ground 4 28.57%
BOTH! 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: The next RTS. Space or ground?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
DarthMaulUK

The next RTS. Space or ground?

Post your thoughts.

Although Rebellion/Supremacy was a long drawn out game, it was an excellent strategy game. The element of surprise was a key feature and has always, in my view, remained a classic!

However, after the success of Galactic Battlegrounds in 2001 (yes! 2001!!!) should the next RTS stay firmly with it's feet on the ground?

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Ground.

Space battles can wait a bit. We need a well completed ground RTS before having a space ones.

Besides, Petroglyph is made of former Westwood employees and they only made ground RTS with the C&C serie.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

Petroglyp Could do both and do a god job of it Westwood was renowned for doing a good job of nearly anything.

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
FroZticles
Veteran

I don't mind a space or ground but I think a ground game is better to have first then maybe a space expansion or new space rts after that.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs
Battle for Middle-Earth 2

Let the battle begin.....

FroZticles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #5
DK_Viceroy

If I had to compromise I'd say Implement the beginnings of a Space mode but release an Ex-pack later to finish it off.

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Old 11-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
That's not a good idea. People will whine about it.

"Why haven't you finished the space mode?! You're all lazy making us pay 50$ for an incomplete product!"

There's no compromise.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
DK_Viceroy

What I meant by starting to implement would be to have a reasonable number of ships and some Planaterry Combat perhaps and then in an EX-Pack have it so it goes from System wide combat to Galaxy Wide Combat.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
My point still stands. People are going to whine about an imcomplete game. Ex-pacs are not made to complete a game, they're made to add more to it.

People will just whine. Trust me, I've seen enough people whine about half-made features

Old 11-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
DK_Viceroy

EA takes a different Line they used Zero Hour to finish what should have been in.

Well that way then you could start off ground and have the Ex pack putting in space combat?

Old 11-24-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Sounds like a much better compromise

Old 11-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
DK_Viceroy

Yeah personally I'd rather the Planet based side was perfected before they wander into the Realms of space and I sincerly hope they completly finish the game and don't cut features in the interests of realising it earlier.

We don't want a Generals like Star Wars RTS.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

The way i see it, it would be much better if it was a ground-based RTS with a space-based RTT included in the 'Conquer the Galaxy' mode.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
DK_Viceroy

SPace Combat shouldn't just be limited to one mode that would be a waste.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:50 AM   #14
saberhagen

LA tried doing Galaxies as ground only to start with then adding space in the expac. Let's hope they never make that mistake again...
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 04:32 AM   #15
FroZticles
Veteran

Galaxies is a whole different genre. Them putting ground first then space was not the problem. Them screwing up ground completely then trying to add a whole new dimension into the game when they could not get the basics right.

--SW Galaxies stuff ups--

1. Telling people how to unlock there Jedi

2. Only allowing 1 character per account per server (letting Blizzard blow them away with there 10 characters per server.

3. Lack of high end content

4. PvE way to easy most things are soloable because of buffs and armor that basically stops all damage because your healed before they land another hit.

5. Generic missions, very boring and the main income for all combat professions

6. People could be master in a matter of hours if they had a decent weapon and grinded missions.

7. Loot very limited

8. Theme parks are always camped.

9. Imperials vs Rebels is basically useless you get nothing for blowing up a base.

10. DoTs, who the hell has heard of a normal pistol poisoning or diseasing?

11. PvP is boring and pointless its DoT wars and combat medics with there poisons and diseases that kill you in 5 seconds will win everytime.

I could keep going but I think I've pretty much called out the main things which is basically the entire game. It had so much potential but it was thrown away. I think LA should just drop this game and focus on a sequal the day LA signed SOE to develop this game was the day it flushed all hopes of this being successful down the toilet.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-25-2004, 04:48 AM   #16
DK_Viceroy

I seem to be fortunate than Missing SWG Besides it wasn't supported up here in the NE of england so if you can't pay you can't play.

Also thankfully it isn't Lucasarts making it it's Petroglyph aka Former Westwood.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:58 AM   #17
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
2-Just to correct you, World of Warcraft allows 8 characters, not 10

I agree about everything else.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #18
DK_Viceroy

*wishes World Of Warcraft was released in Europe now he Needs it.*

Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM   #19
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I played the Open Beta and now I need it soooo much...but not enough money...man...

It's already beating EQ2(made by SOE, *shrugs*)

Anyway, back on topic before DMUK close this thread as well...

Old 11-25-2004, 11:13 AM   #20
DK_Viceroy

Good Point though since most people if not all want Space in it there's not really much to discuss.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #21
FroZticles
Veteran

I was basing the 10 characters on what a dev posted that on release they were bumping it up to 10...

If you really wanted the game you could get it. SWG was not in australia but you can order it in weird thing is they support all country credit cards but limited the shipping to europe and NA

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #22
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

The main focus of this game should be Ground, simply because most of the battles in SW are ground and there are far more possabilities.

Space should be included as well, but as a secondary feature. As i said, it should be an RTT as part of the 'Conquer the Galaxy' mode which can be switched off. That way, if you want both you can have them, but if you only want ground combat, you can have that too.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #23
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Look, I said it earlier: people will look at your space mode like it was half-made. Even if your intention was for it to be like how you described it(*shrugs*), people will whine about it. It is not a viable compromise.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #24
FroZticles
Veteran

Windu these turn-off options of yours are a real habit now. It shows your weak gameplay and tells the audience that they could not be bothered balancing space and ground so they just threw in an off button. This will annoy and possibly ruin the game.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #25
DK_Viceroy

Especially since a"Conquer the Galaxy Mode" seems a little to wafer thin in terms of that would be the only area where space could be used.

You can't switch off important things in a game with an option. it's like having a feature that allows only infantry to be made.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #26
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

luke - perhaps, but i still see it as the best alternative. Otherwise, you're going to get one or the other, but not both if you want them well made.

FroZ - if you want to comment on a post i have made, i am happy to respond to it. However, the next time you add in insults i will ignore you until you decide to be polite, but i will answer this one.
As i said, i see the game as being focused around ground battles, so they should be the main part of the game, with space battles as a 'sideshow', hence the RTT. The option would simply be for those who dont want to play space battles, and just want to get on with it. It would also suit people who want to play a faster campaign.

viceroy - i dont see how that would make CtG seem 'thin'. Space mode would certainly be limited, but that would be the extent of limitations.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-26-2004, 03:57 AM   #27
FroZticles
Veteran

It would look very amateur and crappy. Either combined them or nothing, space is not a runner-up bonus and it does not deserve to be. I did not insult you, many posts on other threads you have said numerous times that an off option to cut out major features.

Space is just as important than ground and does deserve the kind of platform ground gets. Space in a SW RTS has huge potential I personally don't want that limited.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-26-2004, 05:06 AM   #28
DK_Viceroy

Apparently Windu you don't "see" anything.

A. Froz is not insulting you he never has it;s just your wishful thinking to think that anyone wants to waste time talking sense into you.

B. Space battles in the Star Wars universe were never Side shows compared to Ground battles. Yavin was a critical batle and that was a space batle the Battle of endor was a combination of the two indeed windu showing the exact opposite to what you claim that the Ground battles are sideshow to the space, but we're not going to have an all Space RTS with Ground hased on the way you would like with space.

C. Petroglyph is made up of Former Westwood Employees they created the CnC Series single handedly you know the series you knick so many ideas off. They can make Space and Ground in a huge way the next SW RTS will surely be REVOLOUTIONARY.

D. Lucasarts sub-contracted out this one so you can't assume like we could with LA that there will be huge bad areas of it. Petroglyph is an excellent studio capable of whipping the pants off any LA creation a thousand times over.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #29
FroZticles
Veteran

Don't LA always contract there games out to other companies? I think if they had there own team like Blizzard there games would be more successful.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #30
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
They used to make their games themselves. For awhile, the games really, really, really sucked. So they moved to contract their games to other compagnies. Success has been good beginning with Raven and JO...Of course, there are always bad games...

Now they're called LEC and are more a bunch of lawyers deciding who has a good idea for a Star Wars game, give those people money so they can make it and publish the game.

Blizzard has a good track record of making good games and being a good publisher. Hey, even they're published by Vivendi now.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #31
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I chose Both, but I'd rather it not be in the *same* game. Make them 2 different games. One ground battles, and the other space battles (like Homeworld2, ect).
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #32
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

FroZ -
Quote:
It shows your weak gameplay...
That, as a comment on me or my template was an insult and it will not be tolerated.

In terms of a Space and Ground RTS, i really cant see it happening in one game. However, one idea could be to create two games that pass info to each other so you can play both space and ground battles. Alternately, you can just create a ground RTS and add a Space x-pac later on.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-27-2004, 01:52 AM   #33
FroZticles
Veteran

Your shouldn't be there I wrote something before that but changed it didn't check and your was still there so it wasn't an insult. But hey if you can't tolerate that then how the hell are you going to survive in politics, of all professions.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #34
DK_Viceroy

I'll also point out another thing.

Now that we have a new SW RTS in the work any and all templates are useless and thus shouldn't be taken seriously and any "Supposed" insults on them are justified.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #35
Sithmaster_821
Ensemble Fanboy

No one ever took templates seriously. They were just somethnig fun to do until we got real info.

LA doesnt lease out all of their games, they still make some (like SWGB, although thats a bad example, cause they just took the AoK engine, but the most Ensemble did was collect their money and give the LA team pointers on what they learned about problems in AoK). And BTW, unless Blizzard radically changes the way they make games, I would never buy a Star-WarsCraft. Star Wars requires the realistic touch and epic scope of a C&C or AoE game, not cartoony graphics and two soldiers on each side.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."-Albert Einstein
Sithmaster_821 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #36
DK_Viceroy

Blizzard makes Excellent Games they prefer Qaulity over Quantity unlike EA which spams increadibly bad games.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #37
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
^^^^

Very true. Blizzard still makes good games. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean it isn't good.

Let's not totally diss EA too. They CAN make good game...if they don't rush them.

SWGB was made years ago and is a poor example as of now.

As of now, only Republic Commando is both published and developed by LEC.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #38
DK_Viceroy

It appears they've learnt their lesson from Force Commander.

Thank God(s)!

Old 11-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #39
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Just because you think Blizzard games are good, doesn;t mean they are. It's all personal opinion. I really don't like the Star/Warcraft games. Like Sith said, it's basically played with a group of soldiers. Not real epic there, and the demo I played made it feel like some RTS RPG hybrid.

I like EA's CnC Generals: Zero Hour more than Blizzard's RTSs.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 01:29 PM   #40
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
For WarCraft 3, this is true but not for StarCraft.

I do not know which StarCraft you played but I could field a decent amount of units.
Blizzard doesn't need to change their style, they don't have too. They wanted the graphics to be cartoony, they designed their games like they wanted. I'm not a great fan of WarCraft3 because of that whole RPS non-sense though but dissing Blizzard as a whole is just trying to find flaws for nothing.

Note that a demo never gives a real feel of the game.

One thing neither EA nor ES has ever been able to achieve is a story as good as Blizzard can make.

There's a difference between good, bad and preferences.
Saying that they make bad games is totally untrue.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > The next RTS. Space or ground?