lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Let there be rock!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-19-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Brighteyes

Let there be rock!

Any classic rock fans here?!
I'm not talking weezer/beatles or korn. I'm talkin AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Rainbow, Van Halen.

\m/ \m/
Brighteyes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
DrMcCoy

Current Game: nethack
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
*raises his hand*

\m/ (' o ') \m/

if(!strcmp(nick, "DrMcCoy") && !strcmp(avatar, "Spock")) return E_INSANE;
DrMcCoy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Brighteyes

Old 12-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Fender
See Me, Feel Me...

*Sings in Classic Rock Band*

*Is Recording in February *

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at You, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

[From the Who's album, TOMMY]
Fender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I listen to "classic rock" (or, as we referred to it when I was a kid: "rock") as well as many other forms of music as well.

These days I've deen deconstructing the Progressive-Rock sub-genre: Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, etc...
Loads of bombastic, pretentious, noodle-ishious fun!

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
JofaGuht

There is one or two great classic bands I listen to on a regular basis. Led Zeppelin is cool, but the one I consistently listen is Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper is underappreciated because he is only known for his hits (Eighteen, School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, etc) which aren't bad songs, but if you listen to the albums and listen to lesser known songs of his you'll realize how truly brilliant the guy really is. And his shows are also amazing. He doesn't seem like an aging rock star when you see him perform.

I'm also kind of getting into Jethro Tull, but I haven't heard nearly enough stuff to call myself a fan.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
Brighteyes

What stuff do ya play fender?
Jethro Tull? Yeah been meaning to get some of that. Jethro Tull is also a british comedian in blighty
Cooper?! Poison was his best. Got the words on my wall, my hair stands on end when it says:
I hear you calling and its needles and pins, i wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name, don't wanna touch you but your under my skin. I wanna taste you but your lips are venomous poison!

Best line in and song....ever.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
JofaGuht

I was thinking more along the lines of Second Coming, Ballad of Dwight Fry, Black Juju, Sick Things, stuff like that. Oh, and on his new album is "This House is Haunted" and that song is amazing.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Classic rock fan here! I love all music from David Bowie....HOWEVER, I also listen to BTO, ELO, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, The Who, The Guess Who, and countless others. Let's talk classic rock shall we?!
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
NiKo

Oh yeah!
Zeppelin, Cooper, some Scorpions,Faith no more, Deep purple, Queen, ZZ Top,Thin Lizzy, Status quo,
allthough I never got into Sabbath or AC/DC.

and prog.rock
I love prog.rock

NiKo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 07:04 AM   #11
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Boston, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Styx, Night Ranger, Damn Yankees, Joe Walsh, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, Mr. Big, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath and more. I love it all.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Skinkie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #12
NiKo

Pink Floyd is prog.rock, not so much Classic

and are Guns&Roses already concidered Classic Rock nowdays?
in that case, add them to my list

NiKo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 AM   #13
Brighteyes

What do ya say guys? Gun n' Roses classic rock?
Well......everyone thinks of slash as classic rock so why not.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:58 AM   #14
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

...moterhead.... are the best. Guns n' roses is proberbly classic rock, as it was established when rock started (round about)
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #15
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Black Sabbath and Metallica are my two favourite rock/metal bands, the majority of their output, at least in their heyday, was awesome. The "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All" albums are so listenable it's a crime, and the first 8 or so Black Sabbath albums are a lesson in music.

I like Alice Cooper too, "Teenage Lament '74" is a fantastic song, as is Poison which you've all mentioned. I used to like Bowie, and I still do like a lot of his earlier (late 60's early 70's) stuff, but he's got such a variety of styles it's hard to like everything he's done. As for Zeppelin, I don't have too much of their stuff - "Physical Graffiti" and "Remasters" are the only CD's I've got, but they're loaded with genuinely awesome songs.

I thought I was just about the only person who still listened to prog as well, so this is a nice surprise. King Crimson are one of my all time favourite bands, "In The Court of the Crimson King", "In The Wake Of Posiedon" and "Larks Tongues In Aspic" don't go wrong once, every track across those three albums is inspired. I love Jethro Tull too, it's such a unique style, and the lyrics are out of this world. The 23 minute long "Thick as a Brick" and slightly shorter "With You There" would put a lot of people off with their lenth, but they're so fantastic.

Another prog band I like is a Manchester band called Van Der Graaf generator, I have loads of their stuff. Listening to "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is more something you experience than hear, it's stunning. And if you can get your hands on any psychedelics, it's the most confusing thing you'll ever hear.

Recently I've been listening to the psychedelic rock / acid-rock variety, which evolved in the mid-sixties in San Francisco with the influence of LSD and other such substances in music. This genre evolved into Heavy Metal when the sixties was over, so it's kind of like a less heavy Metallica, with much more introspective lyrics. Jefferson Airplane are a great band from this style, and so are Iron Butterfly (their "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" featuring in the simpsons when Bart sells his soul to Milhous.)

This sixties stuff is so awesome that I can't recommend it enough if you like rock and metal, and prog too. I got the majority of my stuff from a box set called "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the first Psychedelic Era" which you can buy on Amazon here. It's not cheap, but it would make a great birthday present or something because the majority of the stuff on here can't be found anywhere else because the bands weren't major successes, or became other bands later on or something. PM me if you want me to upload some samples

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #16
Brighteyes

Quote:
Originally posted by Fealiks
Guns n' roses is proberbly classic rock, as it was established when rock started (round about)
Guns n Roses: March 26th, 1985
Hendrix: 1960's
Black Sabbath: 1970
ZZ Top: 1970

Sorry, but no.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #17
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

dude, I said round about. fooken hell. :p
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #18
PoM

\m/ (' o ') \m/
Am i late?

...It's Alice Cooper of course.
If you ask me, his best song would be Poison.
PoM is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #19
JofaGuht

I'm not a big genre freak. I usually just pick the best of each and stick with them. I've got my prog metal (Opeth), my doom (Neurosis), my avant-garde (The Residents), my Black Metal (Dimmu), my Techno (Orbital) and classic rock (Alice Cooper), and that's basically the only music I need. That's why my brain explodes when ever someone asks me "what type of music I like". I just say good music.

Man, I didn't know Poison was such a highly loved song. It's good, but you guys have really got to listen to "Second Coming".

Old 12-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #20
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Quote:
Originally posted by Fealiks
dude, I said round about. fooken hell.
When ever you write a stupid post, others will call you on it my freind. I suggest using a little discretion from now on before clicking the .

Back on subject:

Even though David Bowie is my favorite artist of all time, Alice Cooper is another of my favorites. My favorite song would have to be "Ballad of Dwight Fry".
Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #21
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

I always considered Guns N' Roses to be classec rock, as they were one of the final bands to come out of the 80s with a bunch of hits before Nirvana came along and launched grunge into the spotlight. To me that was when classic rock was ended. Not that alot of those artisits haven't put out good stuff since then, it's just gone (for the most part) unnoticed and underappriciated. Take Styx's Cyclorama which came out last year. Alot of truly brilliant stuff on there, but other than the single getting play for a couple weeks on a some stations, it was pretty much ignored.

The problem here is that new music stations won't play new songs by OLD bands, and classic rock stations don't like plaing NEW songs by old bands.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #22
Guybrush122
plays it bogart

Hell yeah classic rock! AC/DC all the ****in way. Not a fan of Sabbath, but Hendrix is my GOD.

Down with Van Halen, though-- sure, they were talented, but MAN were they boring. Besides, seems like you're talking about Hard Rock. Led Zeppelin stuff (whom I love). And though I consider all those great bands classic rock, you can't tell me that The Beatles weren't rock, and that Cream wasn't rock, and that Janis Joplin and Moby Grape and The Kinks and Steppenwolf and The Rolling Stones weren't rock. They tore it up!

Anyway, I'm diggin the whole Garage Rock Revival movement going on right now. I'm on a Mooney Suzuki and The Donnas kick. Jet's pretty badass too.

- GET THE LED OUT!

I can't seem to think up a good signature.
Guybrush122 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #23
Philocleon

Oh yeah. Classic rock fan hear. Ah, back then they actually produced GOOD bands. Me, I like stuff like Jethro Tull, Santana, Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart. Good stuff, i'm telling ya, good stuff.

Simia: Do you know anyone who lives in this alley?...I'm talking to you.
Ballio:I know one...myself.
Simia:You're lucky. As men go, not one in ten can say he knows himself.

----Pseudolus, by Plautus
Philocleon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM   #24
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Quote:
Originally posted by Philocleon
Oh yeah. Classic rock fan hear. Ah, back then they actually produced GOOD bands. Me, I like stuff like Jethro Tull, Santana, Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart. Good stuff, i'm telling ya, good stuff.
Jethro Tull is some seriously good stuff.

"Bungle In The Jungle" anyone?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:59 PM   #25
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Sitting on a Park Bench......

Old 12-23-2004, 01:06 AM   #26
edlib
Close to the Edge

"Minstrel In The Gallery" is my fave Tull album, followed by "Thick As A Brick" "Aqualung" and "Songs From The Wood"... then all the rest.
Ian Anderson is a cool dude, and funner than hell. I've met him a couple of times. He played at the concert hall I work at last year on a solo tour.
Fave memory of Tull is being backstage with the band on Ian's 50th birthday in the catering tent having cake and champagne.

Right now I'm dissecting YES. I've been listening to "Close To The Edge" pretty much nonstop for a couple of months now, along with everything else of thiers in my collection.

I have to agree with Skinkie about the rather deplorable state of rock radio these days. They seem to think that people won't listen to music from different decades. If you like pop music from the '70s and '80s, then you couldn't possibly like ANYTHING released during the '90s or today... even in the same style,or even by the same bands! It's funny that you can hear U2's new stuff on one station, but they won't play any of thier older stuff,.. and then flip down the dial and hear all the old stuff, but you might never know that they have a new album out by only listening to that station.

I've pretty much stopped listening to commercial radio altogether, preferring internet options, or the various music channel options on my digital cable feed. Thank God I have a CD changer in my car, or I would go insane trying to find something to listen to when on the road. I've been playing with the idea of satellite radio lately... but I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee for something that isn't all that established yet.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 AM   #27
elTee
beatnik

I found a big YES box-set downstairs in my dads music collection a few months ago and copied it to my PC - "YESYEARS" it's called, 4 CD's. I've not listened to it properly yet, for various reasons (mostly Jefferson Airplane) but I'm going to give it a whirl tonight after all these recommendations. The only song on there I really know already (I think) is Owner of a Lonely Heart, which is kinda good.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 12-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #28
edlib
Close to the Edge

YES songs to listen to off that set:

Close to the Edge
And You And I
Going For The One
Heart of the Sunrise
Long Distance Runaround
Roundabout
Changes
Time and a Word
Starship Trooper
Yours is no Disgrace
I've Seen All Good People

Basically disks 1 and 2, with a little bit of disk 4 thrown in.

Most of disk 3 gets a bit self indulgent, even for me...

Old 12-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #29
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

I never listen to the radio any more either, in fact my mp3 player has become my best companion.

For some reason I can never get quite enough Steely Dan.

DEACON BLUES

"This is the day
Of the expanding man
That shape is my shade
There where I used to stand
It seems like only yesterday
I gazed through the glass
At ramblers
Wild gamblers
That's all in the past

You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

CHORUS:
I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

My back to the wall
A victim of laughing chance
This is for me
The essence of true romance
Sharing the things we know and love
With those of my kind
Libations
Sensations
That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper
Through these suburban streets
Make love to these women
Languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home

CHORUS

This is the night
Of the expanding the man
I take one last drag
As I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be"

CHORUS
Old 12-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #30
edlib
Close to the Edge

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
For some reason I can never get quite enough Steely Dan.
Agreed.

The Dan rocks! I'm so glad they're making albums again.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #31
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Quote:
Originally posted by edlib
Agreed.

The Dan rocks! I'm so glad they're making albums again.
Those guys bleed talent, I have never heard a song that I didn't like. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:16 PM   #32
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Just started listening to the Supertramp album Breakfast in America the other day. That'd some good stuff.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #33
JofaGuht

Yes is pretty sweet, but personally I dig Rick Wakeman's solo stuff better.

Old 12-24-2004, 04:23 AM   #34
edlib
Close to the Edge

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinkie
Just started listening to the Supertramp album Breakfast in America the other day. That'd some good stuff.
One of my faves! And one of the best produced albums to come out of that period. It's amazing how good that recording still sounds today.

I just heard a band covering Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit" on MTV... I think it was the Goo Goo Dolls (?)... It made me ill. Yeech! Nowhere near as good as the original.

A band I recently have gotten into is XTC. I never paid much attention to them before... but they have quickly become one of my faves. Intelligent poppy rock. Good stuff.

Old 12-24-2004, 08:33 AM   #35
elTee
beatnik

Quote:
Originally posted by JofaGuht
Yes is pretty sweet, but personally I dig Rick Wakeman's solo stuff better.
After re-discovering Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds from my childhood, I got a copy of Rick's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. It's pretty out there, but parts of it are very good.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 12-24-2004, 08:39 AM   #36
JofaGuht

I haven't heard the newer Wakeman stuff, but the late 70s stuff is one that an operatic death metal fan like me can trace back to. It's uber-gothic, and more constructed and less free-form than Yes (although yes was pretty structured compared to ELP).

Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #37
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Anybody like Joe Walsh's solo stuff?

I REALLY like "Tend My Garden", awsome stuff.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #38
JofaGuht

For Christmas, I got a Procol Harum CD. They're pretty sweet, although I'm not sure they'd be considered classic rock.

I also got "Welcome to My Nightmare" by Alice Cooper, and let me correct myself..."Years Ago/Steven" is the best Cooper compisition next to Second Coming.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #39
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by edlib

I just heard a band covering Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit" on MTV... I think it was the Goo Goo Dolls (?)... It made me ill. Yeech! Nowhere near as good as the original.
Yeah, I saw that too. I really like the Goo Goo Doll albums Boy Named Goo and Gutterflower. They just released a live CD with two versions of Give a Little Bit on it, a live one and a studio one. It seems wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Anybody like Joe Walsh's solo stuff?

I REALLY like "Tend My Garden", awsome stuff.
I love Joe Walsh, Rocky Mountain Way is one of my all time favorite songs.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #40
edlib
Close to the Edge

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do;
Life's been good to me so far!"

Joe Walsh is one of the most underrated figures in rock.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > Random Fun > Ye Olde Harbour > Let there be rock!