lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Multiplayer - confirmed
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #41
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

DM to me the Total war series has less risks in it, you don't have to worry about econ in the middle of a battle, I like games where you do that since it adds more depth and realism into it and can really tip the tide in your favour by launching a raid on an enemy base in the middle of a critical battle distracting your enemy while you can micro away unfettered.

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #42
DarthMaulUK

You shouldnt have to worry about microfarming in the middle of a battle....thats TOTAL war...hence the name.

RTS games have focuse too much about worrying about the chicken feather plucker providing enough food, rather than combat, which is what its all about.

I dont want to spend essential moments worrying if i have enough baked beans for my troops! All i care about is if my troopers can win the day - with the beans they already have!

I will trade my magic beans for Rome total war anyday. No other RTS even comes close. And to compare Generals in this sentence would be an insult!

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #43
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Fan boys bashing everything on their way...

Seriously, like I said, different games offer different play styles that suits different tastes.
I'll go back to my Rainbow Six vs UT2k4 example. One is a tactical shooter, the other is an arcade style shooter.

Both have their fan based, both have players that prefer either style. A lot of people like the econ management as part of an RTS, others prefer just the battle part.

It is fine. Stop trying to stir up trouble by bashing this, counter-bashing that, etc.
Get over it people. Just let people like what they want to like, no bashing, everyone has the right to an opinion.

Viceroy-Boran isn't Windu because I know him. They don't even live in the same country.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #44
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I like it best when it's set asside from the actual combat segment.

I'll use the downtime to develop, improve and make my forces combat ready, then launch a campaign when and where it's needed.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2005, 03:27 AM   #45
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Boran - obviously the random map generator can be turned off... it's called playing a scenario. Playing a scenario set up in the right way is no different from having set maps like Dawn of War and C&C Generals. A random map adds so much more replayability to a game. Sure, people can make new maps all the time, but playing on a mirror reflection equal-opportunity map just isn't much fun for me in the end.

I much prefer a random map. Sure, occaisionally people get a bum deal and the terrain is against them. That just means you have to prove your ability even more! The terrain won't be against you every game, some games it will work in your favour.

Saber - as Viceroy pointed out Age of Mythology had a random map generator - one of the best and fairest I might add - and it is 3D.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #46
DK_Viceroy

yep it is very fair and balanced, you can pick complete random or pick things like Afelheim Erebus and many more and those are basic templates for maps like Afleheim can be good for long drawn out battles due to easily defendable hilly terrain all over. but the Maps do end up random you'll never get the same map lay out twice.

If you can't take what the game gives you, you shouldn't be playing RTS since you have to think of a strategy to win, if your enemy is on top of a hill wall of the hill make sure they can't escape take map control create a large fortified area and build a wonder, they'll come to you to stop the wonder or when their area runs out of resources, your army will be strong while their's weaknes for lack of resources.

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Old 01-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #47
FroZticles
Veteran

Not many new RTS have random map generators for the simple fact it takes longer and it is harder to balance then just premade maps.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs
Battle for Middle-Earth 2

Let the battle begin.....

FroZticles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #48
DK_Viceroy

for some though it's the corner stone, I think for EaW we'll be seeing a combination since most of Westwood's games had set maps and a fairly basic RM generator.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Multiplayer - confirmed