lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why this game is going to suck
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #41
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
He didn't expect the PT to be in it.

He says he is disappointed it isn't in the game, or set around the PT era.

But the numbers is clear though, the OT is the most popular era though.
Which I whole heartedly agree on.

About the SWGB, wasn't it supposed to feature PT era too?
Seem to remember something about that.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may:
Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #42
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
He didn't expect the PT to in it.

He says he is disappointed it isn't in the game, or set around the PT era.
I got that from this thread, but then I also saw his post in the Ideas thread saying they should put PT stuff in there. So I decided I'd just join responses, put them in here.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may:
Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #43
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

He didn't like SWGb even though it had PT, because it was generic and a whole other host of reason I don't care enough to find out.

He's always complaining about one thing or the other

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #44
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Windu
Phreak - then why does LA says the game is SET between RotS and ANH, rather than STARTS?
Quote:
The new game will take place in the Star Wars universe all right, but its actual events will take place between the not-yet-released film Episode III and the 1977 film Episode IV (better known simply as Star Wars, the first movie in the original trilogy). The action will take place in the same galaxy and will include tours of duty on such planets as Hoth, Endor, Tattooine, and Dagobah
Quote:
Set a few years before the events of Episode IV A New Hope, the game will let players rewrite history as well as experience the aftermath of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, the creation of the Rebel Alliance, and Darth Vader’s rise to power.

If that's true, then it has to take place throughout the movies as well.
swphreak is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #45
OverlordAngelus

Also, the victory conditions for the Rebels would be the fall of the Empire and the death of the Emperor and Vader (if they'er in the game). Even if that doesn't happen on Endor, the effect is pretty much the same.

For the Empire to win they would have to crush the Rebel scum. Which isn't really related to the movies at all because they didn't win.
OverlordAngelus is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #46
SirPantsAlot
Banned

SWGB was no more than a mod for AoE2. I might have had 6 armies, and two more in the campaigns, but eventually, they were all exactly the same. In EaW, there might be only two armies, but they are totally different in many ways.

OverlordAngelus, the victory condition for both armies, as far as I know, is to completally take over the galaxy.
SirPantsAlot is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #47
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:

Prime - actually, adding the PT would NOT take double the time, money etc. Why? Because a lot of their resources and money will have been taken up in creating the engine, style of play, resource collection (or whatever will pass for it), base building etc. Therefore, adding the Republic and Confederacy would not take up that much, and wouldn't set the game back far either.

luke - true, but then when I created this thread, I was (and still am) annoyed at LA/Petroglyph for ignoring PT fans. Having waited for so long on the old SWGB forums for any little scrap of news of a new RTS, it was a huge dissapointment to me to learn that only the Empire and Rebels would be included. Franky, to me this smacks of doing something half-arsed with the parties involved simply not being bothered to do a better job. Ergo, the title of the thread. Oh yeah, incidently I still really do think this game is going to suck.
Reply to Prime by Windu, counter-replied by me(sorry mate):
You do realize it costs money and time to make more models, balance all of the civs so they can be playable in multiplayer, etc.
Maybe be not double, but more nevertheless. I explained it to you why they would choose to do an OT game back at the SWGB forum but of course, you just ignored it.

Reply to me by Windu, counter-replied by myself:

Seriously, like others said, you are a minority, like it or not.
Age of average gamer: 29(according to USA today poll)
Age of average Star Wars fan: Around 30 if not more(considering the OT were first released 28 years ago)
So technically, they hit a much bigger market and even so, most Star Wars fan prefer the OT or like both.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #48
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Prime - actually, adding the PT would NOT take double the time, money etc. Why? Because a lot of their resources and money will have been taken up in creating the engine, style of play, resource collection (or whatever will pass for it), base building etc. Therefore, adding the Republic and Confederacy would not take up that much, and wouldn't set the game back far either.
I was trying to make a point. It might not take exactly 2x the amount of time, but it won't be a lot less. As lukeiamyourdad has said, yes they use the same engine and there are certain parts of development that apply to both, but there is still a large amount of work that would have to go into adding PT content. For starters, they would have to:
  • extended design effort
  • create models for all troopers and vehicles
  • create textures for all troopers and vehicles
  • create animations for most or all the new units
  • design, code and/or tweek the AI to represent the new units
  • playtest the new units to make sure they are all balanced and have not added any issues/bugs for both SP and MP
  • for SP, write an entirely new storyline that takes place in the Clone Wars era
  • perhaps design and create new planets that represent those from the prequel movies
  • record/aquire new music and sound effects
And that is just the basics, without getting into the nitty-gritty software issues that more content leads to. The fact is that it isn't as trivial as you try and make it sound. Software development doesn't work that way. Look at it like this. Lucasarts decides on a budget and development timeframe. So if doing an OT game was originally going to take 100% of the time and money, adding the PT content might optimistically bump the OT development down to 60-70%. Regardless, the time, money, and effort devoted to making the best OT game possible is now less than it was. This means that the OT portion of the game is now going to be either worse or not as encompassing as it would otherwise. That is why I, and others I presume, are happy that they have chosen one era and decided to devote 100% of the effort towards it. It will result in a better game in the end.

I mean, look at JA and KOTOR 2. They are both games that are based on the same engine and use a lot of the same assets (models, textures, and the like) as their earlier versions. Yet, they still took 1.5-2 years to develop. It would be the same way if the PT were to be added to Empire at War. It would require a lot more time and money to create just as good a game.

Prime is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #49
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
[*]for SP, write an entirely new storyline that takes place in the Clone Wars era
They wouldn't have to do this really, as there is no storyline here.

You begin a few years before ANH, and from there on you decide the future.

Think Rebellion when you think of this game, except better grafics, but far fewer planets (10%).

Which is rather disappointing, I would have wanted more, much more planets to conquer.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #50
SirPantsAlot
Banned

Quote:
They wouldn't have to do this really, as there is no storyline here.
There might not be linear scenarios, but there is a storyline and missions.
SirPantsAlot is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 08:25 AM   #51
OverlordAngelus

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
I mean, look at JA and KOTOR 2. They are both games that are based on the same engine and use a lot of the same assets (models, textures, and the like) as their earlier versions. Yet, they still took 1.5-2 years to develop. It would be the same way if the PT were to be added to Empire at War. It would require a lot more time and money to create just as good a game.
Actually Jedi Academy uses the Quake 3 engine, along with Jedi Knight 2.

Both Knights of the Old Republic games uses a heavily modified version of the Neverwinter Nights engine.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #52
lonepadawan

He was referencing the fact that they were build on the same engine as their predecessors. JA on the JK2 engine (Which is the quake engine I know) and KOTOR2 on the KOTOR engine (Which is neverwinter nights) But still took a long time to come out.

"Your life does flash before your eyes before you die..... the process is called LIVING"
lonepadawan is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #53
OverlordAngelus

Cool Guy

Oops, I'll just go and throw myself onto a lightsaber.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #54
joesdomain
The Emperor

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
The only thing I am upset about in this game is that it is PC only. Well, Mac will eventually get it a year after it is release just like the Jedi Knight Games, Knights of the Old Republic, and Battlefront. I have a PC but this game definitely won't run on a Pentium III 667MHz, 128MB memory, and 8MB video card. All of my money is going toward paying pay college student loans for the next 20 years.

"You Rebel Scum"

"Wipe them out, all of them"
joesdomain is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #55
Sithmaster_821
Ensemble Fanboy

Im with Kryllith on the whole resource management/gathering. You only have to look at my avatar/title to figure out what I think of resource management. If not resources per se (cause that is very un-Star Wars), then some limiting factor to make the game more strategic and less tactical (it is an RTS after all). Thats what I hate about the Total War games, its almost all tactics. I want to be able to make some strategic decisions in a strategy game. That said, one of the game sites sort of confirmed that some form of resources will be in the game because it said that the Rebellion will have more expensive but better units while the Imps, on average, will have cheaper, worse units.

I also think that the TIE crawler will be exactly what everyone thinks of it. Crap. Cheap fodder crap. It will be what the emps have to use to keep up with the Rebellion tanks until walkers come niot play.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."-Albert Einstein
Sithmaster_821 is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #56
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Insane - so now you try to cover your lies with more lies? In your reply to my first post, you included a supposed "quote" that contained a 'phrase' I never at any time used. That is lying, and using a fake quote. Trying to lie to get yourself out of something, believe it or not, is not a smart thing to do when the evidence exists for all to see.

luke - I have never contested the average age of gamers, the average age of SW fans etc. That, however, is irrelevant because my whole point here is that LA simply does not care about PT fans. It seems only fitting then that PT fans do not care about LA.

Prime - I am aware that there would be a significant amount of time and money invested in order to produce the Republic and Confederacy, but I still think they could and should have done so. Of course everything is economics, and while it may not seem like much (and in fact isn't), I will not purchase any SW RTS that does not include the PT simply on principle.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #57
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Insane - so now you try to cover your lies with more lies? In your reply to my first post, you included a supposed "quote" that contained a 'phrase' I never at any time used. That is lying, and using a fake quote. Trying to lie to get yourself out of something, believe it or not, is not a smart thing to do when the evidence exists for all to see.
I'm not lying. Never did. I shortened your quote into a phrase I felt summed it up. I believed your entire post to be stupid crap so I changed it to say that, instead of leaving the entire stupid quote in to only say a few things.

Quote:
I will not purchase any SW RTS that does not include the PT simply on principle.
Then stop whining about EAW. You're not going to buy it, fine. Noone cares, what we do care about however is your flawed BS.
Which has been covered in past posts.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may:
Old 01-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #58
Jed

Alright, there's far too many irrelevant arguments in this thread.

Make a new one if you'd like to continue this. It's getting too hostile.
  you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Why this game is going to suck